New Gripper work out

John Knowlton

I found this work out on the Internet at powerliftingtechnique.com

It sounded pretty good so I’m giving it a try, I’m in my second week. It is a five day routine.

Day 1,  light resistant gripper performed 3 sets of 15 to 20 reps.

Day 2, 4 sets of 5 or 6 reps with a heavy resistant gripper then on the last set do a drops sets ,as many reps as possible until fatigued

Day 3,  light or moderate resistance gripper performed four sets of 8 to 10 reps with a very slow release to maintain tension throughout the range of motion.

Day 4,  With a light resistant grip or hold handles together for a period of 20 to 30 seconds performed 3 sets

Day 5, with a heavy resistance grip are use two hands to close the handle together with one hand and slowly open the hand with a count of 4 to 5 seconds performed three sets of 3 to 5 reps

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

I found this work out on the Internet at powerliftingtechnique.com

It sounded pretty good so I’m giving it a try, I’m in my second week. It is a five day routine.

Day 1,  light resistant gripper performed 3 sets of 15 to 20 reps.

Day 2, 4 sets of 5 or 6 reps with a heavy resistant gripper then on the last set do a drops sets ,as many reps as possible until fatigued

Day 3,  light or moderate resistance gripper performed four sets of 8 to 10 reps with a very slow release to maintain tension throughout the range of motion.

Day 4,  With a light resistant grip or hold handles together for a period of 20 to 30 seconds performed 3 sets

Day 5, with a heavy resistance grip are use two hands to close the handle together with one hand and slowly open the hand with a count of 4 to 5 seconds performed three sets of 3 to 5 reps

I wouldn't do this routine if I were you man you are going to get injured.

I actually had a small tear in my hand from trying to close something with 2 hands and slowly opening it back up with 1 hand.

Also this is an INSANE amount of volume.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

Too much volume and runs the risk of causing injury. If you want to run a program like this needs to be broken up into a weekly cycle. One week focus on repetitions with varying degrees of resistance, the following week used for isometrics. 

• Like 4

Yeah thats higher volume than Nathan's program, Honestly looks like a one way ticket to snap city, Especially since its placing the most taxing stuff at the end of the week, Where your hands are already fried/overused

• Like 2

I think it looks good. Definitely not too much volume. I think you should try it. 

If you can give a suggestion I would not do the negatives as described tho. The way I would do it would be to take a gripper that is 5-10 lbs harder than my 1RM (no more than that). Make attempts with that gripper and force it shut. This is what has been called "Isometric crush" or "cheat close". This is a more safe way of overloading and it's works really good. You can also do more volume with these and as I said it's much safer.

• Like 2

thanks for the input.

today is the last day of weak 2

You should really up the volume and keep intensity between 40 - 90% most of the time. Eccentrics great for connective tissue and muscle growth, isometrics great for connective tissue as well.

The variety of grip work is pretty shit but maybe you do other stuff. You need to work finger extensors, wrist curls and extensions, finger spread and scissor crush, wrist twisting (pronation and suppination), and wrist bending side to side. Volume around 60% of max is best. Train daily. Every 8 weeks go ahead and take a week off. Keep a 40% gripper around to boost recovery and increase training load. You want to do a lot of holds, slow reps, and speed reps, but just plain regular repetitions are important.

Working your hands in the stretched position is most important though so stretch often and find ways of loading the hands in a stretched position. Doing push ups on your finger tips is one way of achieving this if you have big PVC pipes or something you can use the gap for your palms and do push ups with fingers stretched. Again, stretch is incredibly important; it improves tendon strength, muscle strength, muscle size, tendon size, and is great for recovery. Length is strength. Stretching the wrist is incredibly important, so do deep stretch wrist work in all directions. Take your time and build up volume. Having all those little bones and ligaments sore and strained might be uncomfortable and alarm you but it's completely normal.

Do "full forearm" development everyday. You'll figure out what days to go heavy and what days to go for volume with ~50% of max on your own, just do lots and lots of work. Good luck.

• Like 1

I don't think gripper programs should be that overcomplicated, Me myself i get by on between 8-12 attempts per session and got to a decently high level

• Like 1