2021 King Kong, California (Newbury Park)

Hubgeezer

Trip Reports. This Forum has had ONE Trip Report about the King Kong contest, the largest grip contest in the world for a number of years running. And that one Trip Report came from the fellow who produced the contest. 

Eric, thank you for letting us have a great time in an enjoyable ritual that is truly One of a KInd. 

I have participated in King Kong five years: 2016, and 2018 through 2021. In hearing about the death of Slim Farman a few minutes ago, this time my report is really about the mindset of "Aging". At the 2010 AOBS Banquet, at the Age of 76, Slim delivered one of the most inspirational performances that anyone who was there ever witnessed. 

About seven or eight years ago, I got into it with someone on this forum when I took exception to someone who said "Age is just a Number". I have read the words of some on this forum saying that in their 30s, and then read their words less than a decade later, belly aching about things like an Old Lady when they hit their 40s. If you want to talk Strength and Aging, talk to Chris Rice about it. 

Meanwhile, King Kong 2021 for Hubgeezer. The Year 2021 has been one of the roughest years of my life from a physical standpoint. I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disorder, and it took several months for it to be determined if it was "systemic" or "nonsystemic". If "systemic", there was the likelihood that my internal organs would be under attack. Thankfully, it was not, and I simply take over-the-counter medication that actually works, and the symptoms do not exist. Stop the medication, and "boom!", they are back. The two months that I went undiagnosed were rough. I think it took a toll mentally on me, as my "gripper strength" fell to barely being able to credit card close an average Number 2 for one rep. I stopped working out completely. When I was back to feeling normal, I started up on the grippers again, and general strength training; but not very intensely. 

I just got a call from Stanley Stanless Steel. He said Slim passed away at 1 am today. I am talking to him right now. I will pick this up later. 

Later...I got a Finnish Ball about five months out from the contest, and I absolutely sucked on it, just horrible. I read on David Horne's website what some people could do with it, and found that I was not within 10 pounds of the World Record for a 50 year old Woman. I contemplated simply not participating in KK because I knew that I was going to get beat by lots of people, men and women, on the FB. I thought maybe it was time to just stop doing this stuff. Then, I realized that my main competitor is me. Who cares what others are doing? Less than three months out from the contest, I decided to pound the crap out of the four implements being contested. Once a week training, the goal to hit PRs on everything. Me versus Me. That is what I pursued. 

I had a Grab Ball. I had a Finnish Ball. I used an old IM Little Big Horn, not the current one. I used a Rolling Thunder handle, not a Crusher. Nothing else during the week. Shortly before I started that program, my brother died unexpectedly. My brother was one of the most serious hard core "Iron History" experts (not too strong a word for my brother) ever. He was a moderator on Joe Roark's closed forum, and Joe told me that my brother could not be replaced. His memory for detail, coupled with an amazing library of photos he had taken, combined with an extraordinary magazine and book collection, made him a one of a kind walking library, of which he generously shared for no money with anyone who was interested. The rare flashes of trivia that I occasionally produce on this forum are 100% due to my being his brother. The point to the sidebar about my brother is that his death impacted my training and mindset as well. I had trouble "getting up" for this contest. I miss him. Every day, I miss him. 

King Kong, Newbury Park, California. Fourth time produced by Haugen, third time at this location. It had been co-owned by him and Martins Licis. In the last year, Martins has moved his operations to a place more "young-people friendly" (Newbury Park is boring for young people) to El Segundo, about 15 miles South of Santa Monica near the beach. The number of King Kong participants this time: five men, two women. Perhaps two or three repeat competitors. This time, no Carl Myerscough, no Riccardo Magni, no John Machnik. No over 50s or over 60s this time, except for yours truly.

My history of results:

2016, 46th out of 149 overall. First of 12 in the Over 50

2018, 86 of 210 overall. Over 50, 8 of 18

2019, 100 of 244 overall. Over 50, 7 of 24

2020, 77 of 182 overall. Over 50, 13 of 22

2021, 112 of 222. Over 50, 15 of 22

I walked out of the place basically happy. Me versus me was my goal. 

I will get to the events later, and explain how I could be "basically happy" with the results. Got to go now. 

Okay, I will finish up here. Perhaps some of the "likes" on this thread will be undone when I finish!

Events themselves:

Crusher. Previous year, 80.6 Kgs. I opened with 70 on my Left, easy. Went to 75 on second attempt. Some air on the Left, switched to Right, easy. The crusher requires "strength". I knew  didn't have it this year, due to lack of training, so for #3 I chose 80 Kgs. "Almost". I stopped, and confidently said I would get it on attempt #4. Number 4 attempt: I should have said "I don't like the way the implement is positioned", but they had started the clock before I was ready. Had it 100%, dropped it, my body was at a funky angle due to the way the implement was placed. That was it. I was all twisted and turning trying to line myself up the way I normally work with a loading pin, so, tough shit. All things considered not too bad. Next time I will be an ass hole and insist that it be to my liking. 

Grab Ball. Previous year, 60.1 Kgs. Last year, my notes said "Left 3-5 Kgs. on the table". I felt I was "about the same" this year, so I went to 63.5 successfully this time for my 4th attempt. A PR. I tried what was the highest lift by a competitor before they took the device away, and I was one-half an inch off of pulling 67.5 Kgs. So, I left about 3 Kgs. on the table. Happy. 

Finnish Ball. I said I suck at it. Before the event began, there was 18 Kgs. on the implement. Approached it with my Left hand. It didn't budge. I opened with 16 Kgs., lower than the two women. Easy. Went to 17, got it easily. Went to 18, got it easily. So, for #4, raised it to 21 Kgs. Fumbled around, knocking the pin down, switching hands, and a few seconds before time ran out I heard "You have the strength", and better yet "Just think of it as a Hub". Got it. I was not using chalk until the last attempt, seconds before time ran out. Hmmm. Note to self: Use chalk. But despite my pathetic performance, it was a Kilo more than my best garage lift, so a PR. 

Little Big Horn. I said I have an "old version". Except for preparation for these contests, never use it. My history with "real LBH's" was 2013 at a Fit Expo in San Jose, Age 59, 70 Kgs.   2019 KK, Age 65, 71 Kgs., 72 Kgs., one-half up.   2020 KK, Age 66, 67 Kgs., barely missed 72.75 Kgs.   2021 KK, Age 67, fourth attempt "Strong 72" say my notes. Close with a PR. 

I certainly could have done better, but I was happy. 

Then, when the "Results" came through, I see that I was 166.5th place for the Finnish Ball, with 18 women beating my or tying me! And Overall, at 112th Place, with Sarah Chappelow coming in at 97th Place. What can I say, she lifted better than I that day!

When I look at my getting "PRs", and still finishing lower than ever before in a contest, it just shows the improvement of the sport for the competitors, especially in older athletes and women. 

Yep, I had a great time, and hope to do it again. 

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1