Slim The Hammer Man

svr

Saw the news as well. Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting. I had not heard that. About three weeks ago, Stanless Steel told me that Slim's daughter had called him and told him Slim was not doing well, and weighed 150 pounds. Talk about a man who never compromised anything in his life, that was Slim. My heart goes out to his family. 

Sad to hear. My heart goes to his family!

• Like 1

RIP to the man that got me into this sport.  Really sad news. 

My condolences to the family

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

This is really sad to hear.  He was truly the last of the old time strongmen.  I will never forget my encounters with him.  I had the privilege of meeting slim in person 3 times in my life.  Once in 2002 at the AOBS dinner after he performed, and twice at his residence in 2008 when I lived in the same town as him (Pottstown PA).  He has been an inspiration to me with my training and he will be missed by the strength community.  Condolences to his family.   RIP Slim, you were one of a kind ⚒️

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say,  I'm surprised this thread hasn't got more discussion.  Slim was discussed heavily in the early days of the grip board and to my knowledge no one has come close to breaking his record.  I can't really think of a grip legend of this caliber dying in the past 20 years.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, RiotGrip said:

Have to say,  I'm surprised this thread hasn't got more discussion.  Slim was discussed heavily in the early days of the grip board and to my knowledge no one has come close to breaking his record.  I can't really think of a grip legend of this caliber dying in the past 20 years.

I was thinking the same thing. We have some strong bastards on this forum who are and WILL be legends in the grip world. Much more well rounded than Slim, but what Slim did and being connected to The Might Atom..  The fact that he  indirectly got into being a  strongman from the work he did when stuff was much more manual. He was the last of the mohicans.  I will do what I can to carry on the torch.  

The whole "mind over matter" thing to me.. You can apply that to so many things in life. I already knew that. But Slim and Atom really made it sink in.

• Like 4

Had the pleasure of meeting Slim when he got inducted into the Hall of Fame at York barbell. A true legend. 

A few pictures of him from the Might Atoms book. 

PXL_20211210_014801897.MP.jpg

• Like 8

A showman till the end.

Jesus, look at his arm in that single hammer lever! 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 8:42 AM, RiotGrip said:

I have not said much so far, but I was waiting for someone other than me to say this, and I appreciate it. Go back and look at this thread, and I have "liked" every single poster, without exception. 

I met Slim at 8 different AOBS Dinners. In 2011, I had a 2500 plus word article on Slim in MILO. He liked it, and got extra copies for his grandchildren. 

The first AOBS Dinner I attended, my then-23-year-old son was with me. He thought Slim was cool. I didn't get it. I gave him Slim's now-out-of-production DVD, and he watched it over and over and over again. He still thought Slim was cool. The following year, as Slim was walking by, I told him how much my son liked his DVD. We ended up hanging out with him for the next six hours in the Lobby. At times, there was just us, at times, there were as many as 15-18 people listening to him as he "held court". After that, we were always glad to see each other. Something he said about Stanless Steel prompted me to write an article on Stanley. After that was published, someone said to me "Hey, why don't you do a piece on someone more deserving (all due respect to Stan)? So I did. It was a very tough interview, conducted many sessions over the phone. With Slim, he does not necessarily directly answer your questions, there is going to be a lengthy story in there. But, if you hang in there,  you get gold. My brother (RIP) had a couple of really cool photos in the MILO article at Slim's last AOBS performance, 2010. They were awesome.

But the reality is, my son, at the time he met Slim was a drifting, unfocused slacker. Today he is a hard-working, intense, extremely strong (670 plus DLer) mature man, a good father, who, like Slim, does not compromise. Slim said to him 15 years ago: "Son, could you stop flapping your gums and LISTEN for a change?" Well, he did. 

In 2008, the night before the Banquet, something set Slim off, and he was talking about places like this Forum. He almost shouted: "They OWE me!!". We thought it was a bit over the top. But, like the modern hot-shot rock guitarists who never met the great bluesmen guitarists several generations earlier, we do owe those who came before us. Slim was the Real Deal.

To our family, Slim Farman holds a special place in it, and it is not just about leveraging hammers. 

Edited by Hubgeezer
Added the word “not” before “necessarily”
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I have not said much so far, but I was waiting for someone other than me to say this, and I appreciate it. Go back and look at this thread, and I have "liked" every single poster, without exception. 

I met Slim at 8 different AOBS Dinners. In 2011, I had a 2500 plus word article on Slim in MILO. He liked it, and got extra copies for his grandchildren. 

The first AOBS Dinner I attended, my then-23-year-old son was with me. He thought Slim was cool. I didn't get it. I gave him Slim's now-out-of-production DVD, and he watched it over and over and over again. He still thought Slim was cool. The following year, as Slim was walking by, I told him how much my son liked his DVD. We ended up hanging out with him for the next six hours in the Lobby. At times, there was just us, at times, there were as many as 15-18 people listening to him as he "held court". After that, we were always glad to see each other. Something he said about Stanless Steel prompted me to write an article on Stanley. After that was published, someone said to me "Hey, why don't you do a piece on someone more deserving (all due respect to Stan)? So I did. It was a very tough interview, conducted many sessions over the phone. With Slim, he does necessarily directly answer your questions, there is going to be a lengthy story in there. But, if you hang in there,  you get gold. My brother (RIP) had a couple of really cool photos in the MILO article at Slim's last AOBS performance, 2010. They were awesome.

But the reality is, my son, at the time he met Slim was a drifting, unfocused slacker. Today he is a hard-working, intense, extremely strong (670 plus DLer) mature man, a good father, who, like Slim, does not compromise. Slim said to him 15 years ago: "Son, could you stop flapping your gums and LISTEN for a change?" Well, he did. 

In 2008, the night before the Banquet, something set Slim off, and he was talking about places like this Forum. He almost shouted: "They OWE me!!". We thought it was a bit over the top. But, like the modern hot-shot rock guitarists who never met the great bluesmen guitarists several generations earlier, we do owe those who came before us. Slim was the Real Deal.

To our family, Slim Farman holds a special place in it, and it is not just about leveraging hammers. 

Thank you for sharing this. I wish more people who met Slim would share here.

Really thought more people would have posted, or blown this thread up.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2021 at 8:34 PM, Hubgeezer said:

The first AOBS Dinner I attended, my then-23-year-old son was with me. He thought Slim was cool. I didn't get it. I gave him Slim's now-out-of-production DVD, and he watched it over and over and over again. He still thought Slim was cool. The following year, as Slim was walking by, I told him how much my son liked his DVD. We ended up hanging out with him for the next six hours in the Lobby. At times, there was just us, at times, there were as many as 15-18 people listening to him as he "held court". After that, we were always glad to see each other. Something he said about Stanless Steel prompted me to write an article on Stanley. After that was published, someone said to me "Hey, why don't you do a piece on someone more deserving (all due respect to Stan)? So I did. It was a very tough interview, conducted many sessions over the phone. With Slim, he does not necessarily directly answer your questions, there is going to be a lengthy story in there. But, if you hang in there,  you get gold. My brother (RIP) had a couple of really cool photos in the MILO article at Slim's last AOBS performance, 2010. They were awesome.

I met slim at my first and only AOBS dinner in 2002, we talked for 5 minutes or so and that was that.  If that was the only chance I ever got to meet him in my life that would have been fine.  However the two times I actually visited his home and hung out with him in his gym were amazing.  Each time was 4-5 hours and he “held court” as you say.  He talked about his life, his training, his shows, his family and the Mighty Atom.  He was a relatively down to earth guy and his gym had multiple training devices, large scrolled pieces of steel and many pictures.  He let me and the friend I came with look through some books with old photos.  In those books there were pictures of the Mighty Atom at all different ages, many of which are not floating around on the internet.  The physician friend that took me to his house actually wanted to produce a movie about the Mighty Atom but it never materialized.  It was truly such an amazing circumstance in my life that brought me to Pottstown for 1 year, the current arc of my life was started from that year.  When I accepted that fellowship, I expected a unique training experience for my career, but the fact I got to meet slim and actually hang out with him twice was something I could have never imagined, I see it almost as an essential or even pre-destined life experience.  Of all the places in the country I could have spent that year fellowship, something drew me to Pottstown and I met a personal friend of Slim’s that gladly took me to meet him.  Slim was a hero of mine, but I never could have predicted the opportunity to meet him on such an intimate and personal setting.  Until I heard of Slim’s passing I never really thought much about all the specific events that had to line up for me to have spent the time with him that I did, it really is amazing and I now appreciate that time even more.  The drive and shear will evident in Slim’s demeanor was truly unique and inspiring, I still view him as an inspiration to my own training.  The “life force” surely will continue.  

On 12/14/2021 at 9:31 PM, John McCarter said:

Thank you for sharing this. I wish more people who met Slim would share here.

Really thought more people would have posted, or blown this thread up.

Hopefully my above story will encourage others to post their own experiences.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

I met slim at my first and only AOBS dinner in 2002, we talked for 5 minutes or so and that was that.  If that was the only chance I ever got to meet him in my life that would have been fine.  However the two times I actually visited his home and hung out with him in his gym were amazing.  Each time was 4-5 hours and he “held court” as you say.  He talked about his life, his training, his shows, his family and the Mighty Atom.  He was a relatively down to earth guy and his gym had multiple training devices, large scrolled pieces of steel and many pictures.  He let me and the friend I came with look through some books with old photos.  In those books there were pictures of the Mighty Atom at all different ages, many of which are not floating around on the internet.  The physician friend that took me to his house actually wanted to produce a movie about the Mighty Atom but it never materialized.  It was truly such an amazing circumstance in my life that brought me to Pottstown for 1 year, the current arc of my life was started from that year.  When I accepted that fellowship, I expected a unique training experience for my career, but the fact I got to meet slim and actually hang out with him twice was something I could have never imagined, I see it almost as an essential or even pre-destined life experience.  Of all the places in the country I could have spent that year fellowship, something drew me to Pottstown and I met a personal friend of Slim’s that gladly took me to meet him.  Slim was a hero of mine, but I never could have predicted the opportunity to meet him on such an intimate and personal setting.  Until I heard of Slim’s passing I never really thought much about all the specific events that had to line up for me to have spent the time with him that I did, it really is amazing and I now appreciate that time even more.  The drive and shear will evident in Slim’s demeanor was truly unique and inspiring, I still view him as an inspiration to my own training.  The “life force” surely will continue.  

Hopefully my above story will encourage others to post their own experiences.

Outstanding post, fantastic. 

It does however make me sad that I never did do a follow up article on “how he trained”. His wife passed away, and he was extremely depressed for a time afterwards. The timing was not right, and other than us talking a bit about it, it never really took off. 

it was funny, the last time I saw him at AOBS in 2015, he was briefly sitting at our table (I was with Stanless Steel), and my wife, who I managed to drag to the Banquet that year, was hit on by Slim (“My house is on X zillion acres, I own it free and clear, etc.”), as he offered her to run off with him. I was happy to see him no longer depressed, and she was entertained.

Back on your post, thank you. For me, it is as good as anything I have ever read on this Forum.

• Like 4

Guys continue with the story. Slim is a legend in our sport. Everyone pre 2010 loved to hear about him all the time. I am sure post 2010 people would love to also know about him too.

• Like 5

I met Slim at his birthday party in 2019. They talk about that great day in these podcasts. A great time. I believe it was the last big gathering at Slim’s place. I don’t have time to make a long post about meeting Slim that day right now, but it was such a good day. I will try to do a longer write up soon. Slim was and is a big inspiration for me.

• Like 4

^i'll listen to that later

yesterday I had to split a big rock at work... Was thinking of Slim... Then we had to pick up some rebar for the foundation we are putting in.  Our rebar bender  doesn't bend #5 rebar, I offered my services to bend them...It was only a few 90 degree bends. But we just bought #4 instead.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

^i'll listen to that later

yesterday I had to split a big rock at work... Was thinking of Slim... Then we had to pick up some rebar for the foundation we are putting in.  Our rebar bender  doesn't bend #5 rebar, I offered my services to bend them...It was only a few 90 degree bends. But we just bought #4 instead.

Think about busting up rock like that for 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week!! Made Slim so strong.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Think about busting up rock like that for 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week!! Made Slim so strong.

Yup, no matter how hard you work out, you cant replicate that strength. I've posted about my gramps, he was very very strong, was a mason, always won the contests on the job. 

there might be something to a healthy diet of cigarettes, beer and silica dust.  

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 3

On 12/16/2021 at 5:42 AM, Donc101 said:

I met Slim at his birthday party in 2019. They talk about that great day in these podcasts. A great time. I believe it was the last big gathering at Slim’s place. I don’t have time to make a long post about meeting Slim that day right now, but it was such a good day. I will try to do a longer write up soon. Slim was and is a big inspiration for me.

Check out Part 2 of the above videos. Begin at about 10:30 into it, and listen to the Podcast for about 90 seconds. If a stunt pulled by an 85-year-old man at his own birthday party does not have you laughing your ass off, there is something wrong with you! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Check out Part 2 of the above videos. Begin at about 10:30 into it, and listen to the Podcast for about 90 seconds. If a stunt pulled by an 85-year-old man at his own birthday party does not have you laughing your ass off, there is something wrong with you! 

Haha, I got that hammer thrown at me!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I found a copy of his DVD on ebay and bought it..  

• Like 2