Grip strength / Calorie deficits.

SkyHeart

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

All of the guys you mention has really impressive forearms... Except for maybe Jedd, but he has very impressive hands instead, especially his thumbs are very big.

And there's a lot of lifters who doesn't look impressive but can lift crazy weights. It's all about CNS and technique, you don't have to have massive amounts of mass to be able to lift a lot. Exception might be strongman, where you actually need it for many of the events.

Strength in powerlifting being all about CNS and technique is outdated info the overwhelming majority of the scientific literature has actually debunked this.

85-90% of YOUR strength comes directly from YOUR muscle mass a bigger muscle has more strength potiental the rest is neuromuscluar efficiency leverages and intramuscular coordination.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 11:25 PM, SkyHeart said:

So, i've been pretty curious for a while about this. I know that on deficits, one would generally lose a little strength and muscle on the way to a low bodyfat percentage. but, would this apply for gripper progress? I'm not new, but i'm not elite either ( yet ) maybe intermediate- upper end? I specify to paint a clearer picture and wanted to know if anyone here notices a loss of hand strength when under food limitation. Thanks in advance ! 

I did a serious cut for about 2 years. My previous gripper pr was 165rgc at ~270lbs. My current one is 175 rgc at ~200lbs. So I didn't notice a hinderance and got stronger (across the board) as I lost weight. But I began living an overall healthier life which could definitely be a factor. I kept a very high protein diet throughout the journey too which I believe helped me maintain and even gain strength. I got a lot of grip PR's and did quite a few feats for the 1st time even last summer when I was shredded and eating only 1800-2200 calories a day. I think it will be a little different for everyone, but that is my personal experience

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My own experience has been that my weight doesn't effect my grip strength at all.  Only areas that may be weakened are other muscle systems like back/shoulders etc depending on the type of lift.

My LBH strength went way up while I lost 8 pounds of body weight leading up to King Kong, my 233lb lift ended up being the 7th heaviest lift of the competition at only 179lbs bw.  I don't think I would have lifted any more than that if I had not cut weight, however I do think a stronger back would have allowed me to lift it with less strain, and maybe being heavier could have assisted that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wow so many people chiming in this has become such an interesting thread!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, temmmeeee said:

I did a serious cut for about 2 years. My previous gripper pr was 165rgc at ~270lbs. My current one is 175 rgc at ~200lbs. So I didn't notice a hinderance and got stronger (across the board) as I lost weight. But I began living an overall healthier life which could definitely be a factor. I kept a very high protein diet throughout the journey too which I believe helped me maintain and even gain strength. I got a lot of grip PR's and did quite a few feats for the 1st time even last summer when I was shredded and eating only 1800-2200 calories a day. I think it will be a little different for everyone, but that is my personal experience

The healthier lifestyle that comes with cutting would make a big difference. I think i forgot that little detail xD when 18 years old, i wasn't aware of how essential it is to choose nutritious foods while losing weight, and the consequences of dismissing such information. Sad thing to think theres some out there in the world who are just trying to cut everything and forgetting all kinds of vitamins, minerals, protein and such and end up suffering because of it. Until recently, I had a kind of mind state where it wasn't motivational enough to go out and get sunlight, body circulation, and nutrients from specific dishes unless in a cut at the same time. But now i push myself into it all with the motivation of future strength gains instead of weight loss. 

Interestingly, my weight has been sitting around the same range these last 2.5 years. which is anywhere between 170 - 180 lbs. im 5 foot 9 (and a half ? xD) certain factors trigger sudden gains at times, and those days feel like winning a mini lottery of discovery, lol. 

Thats awesome how you can manage to both cut and increase strength by the way! kind of story that can motivate many others, myself included :D With Gripper progress, i'm a tiny bit over half way to closing my Powerball 300. feels pretty exciting to know i'm creeping up on that status :) 

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Hands are the most complex muscle system in the body and requires the most from the CNS.

The CNS will not be at it's best if you're sick becuase the body spends energy on fighting the infection you have. Also lack of sleep is very bad. However, the body is mysterious, one time I actually hit a PR when I was sick. I think it can (in some cases) help, the body "wakes" up or something like that. Of course it depends on what type of sickness it is. Normally it's not good of course.

This reminds me; i haven't been sick with even a minor cold since beginning the whole gripper training stuff. even when squeezing those super easy foam handled ones, it seemed like my immune system just rocketed , since its been 3 years or longer since catching some irritating illness. personally it feels like the grippers are doing it for me but , i ask myself "how" one theory is since stress attacks us in a bunch of ways, squeezing the handles and spring can release tension and relieve physical stress to an extent ( or prevent it maybe ) which would cause long term helpfulness for the over all bodily system. just a guess though, i can't say i know for sure :D Fun to speculate on things like this though isn't it? 

I'm kinda surprised at how much conversation this thread has sparked! i'm glad its as interesting for everyone else as it is for me!