Filed gripper vs grip genie

DerekPalmeri

I am just curious, which gripper results in a tighter fist close? A filed (iron mind, ghp etc) gripper or an unmodified grip genie? I am just curious, as I have never used either. Thanks. Also, is there any rating data available of what filed grippers usually end up rating at? How much RGC does a filing typically add so I can get an idea?

• Like 1

I’ll catch this up with more info once I’m in front of a PC 🤗

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Just responding so I can get the notification with the info later, thanks! 

• Like 1

Filed for sure. I have a single stamped #2 and Tetting Master that are both filed to about half the handle width and if I don't get them set just right my hand can't close deep enough to touch the handles. I'd say I get a good close 1 out of every 5 attempts just do to how tight my fist needs to be to touch the handles.

The grip genies while the diameter is smaller I can still close them virtually the same as an Iron mind gripper. I prefer the smaller handles only because my hands are smaller and I set the grip genies easier.

I'm at about 118 rgc PR at the moment and I keep a GG3 on my desk at work and TNS close it through-out the day. The #2 and Master (easier of the two) filed while not rated are harder for me to close than my GG4 rated @ 113 or my modern #2. They are not has hard as say a average 2.5 or near a GG5 by any means.

• Like 1

Okay! Back with some filing information.

In general the increase is proportional to how hard the gripper was in the first place and averages about +5%. 

So a gripper at 55 becomes 58.

A gripper at 100 becomes 105.

125 becomes 131.

150 becomes 157 to 158.

175 becomes 183 to 184.

210 becomes 220.

There are reasons that can vary by +/- 2 pounds or so but it's going to be pretty close. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is roughly the same adjustment you can make with the Bumper on any gripper. It's a shameless plug, but seriously if you own any grippers you need a Bumper. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cannon said:

Thanks, Matt! Looking forward to it. I can most days close my 147 COC3 and have a line of heavier grippers (that you have sent me lol), and I am trying to figure out my training approach as I know it is going to be astronomically hard to progress at an already high level.

21 hours ago, Cannon said:

Okay! Back with some filing information.

In general the increase is proportional to how hard the gripper was in the first place and averages about +5%. 

So a gripper at 55 becomes 58.

A gripper at 100 becomes 105.

125 becomes 131.

150 becomes 157 to 158.

175 becomes 183 to 184.

210 becomes 220.

There are reasons that can vary by +/- 2 pounds or so but it's going to be pretty close. 

Who better than you guys to provide info regarding this stuff. Thanks Cannon!