82lb Anvil face pinch & clean

liftyzig

I've been working on this lift for a long time, I've never really seen anyone do it this way before.  I've done the clean by the horn, flipping the anvil up and catching it by the face, which , although difficult in it's own right, was much easier than this.

Anyways, here it is

Edited by liftyzig
changed to youtube link
  • Like 10

That was awesome. I've got an 80lbs colonial era hornless anvil, i often look at it and think it would be cool to do what you did.. I'm far from doing that but someday... They sell a decent 66lbs anvil on ebay, for around $120, i've thought about buying to to train with and forge with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

They sell a decent 66lbs anvil on ebay, for around $120, i've thought about buying to to train with and forge with.

I checked out that ebay anvil, I don't think I like the shape very much, but thats a decent price for something to beat on 😄

On 11/17/2021 at 6:16 PM, liftyzig said:

I've been working on this lift for a long time, I've never really seen anyone do it this way before.  I've done the clean by the horn, flipping the anvil up and catching it by the face, which , although difficult in it's own right, was much easier than this.

Anyways, here it is

Great job! I anxiously awaited to see an overhead press too lol... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Terry Gripperaddicted said:

Great job! I anxiously awaited to see an overhead press too lol... 

maybe if i wasn't in my basement, but i think im not quite strong enough anyhow.  Trying to regain shoulder strength though!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:51 PM, liftyzig said:

maybe if i wasn't in my basement, but i think im not quite strong enough anyhow.  Trying to regain shoulder strength though!

Are you recovering from an injury? 

On 11/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Are you recovering from an injury? 

Long story short, yes...

Kinda longer story goes like this, about 2 and a half years ago I was a lot stronger in every area besides grip.  I was benching 330, could military press 185, deadlifting 425 and getting stronger.  Then one day I was helping move a hay elevator and pop, hurt my elbows, got tennis in my left and golfer elbow in my right instantaneously.  I couldn't use my left to lift anything so I compensated heavily on my right.  throwing hay bales one handed didn't last long and shortly after that I had a slightly torn right rotator cuff (thats my self-diagnosis).  Pretty much stopped lifting cold turkey as I could no longer bench, OHP, curl, pull up, etc without severe pain.  I could still do grip though, so I started concentrating on grip solely.  Fast forward to about 6 months ago, things are finally really starting to fel good again, may have tried to jump in too fast and hurt my left shoulder, thats just now finally healing up too. 

Right now I feel the best I have in a long time as far as pain goes, just have to be smart about getting the strength back as it seems like injuries are potentially around any corner.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, liftyzig said:

Long story short, yes...

Kinda longer story goes like this, about 2 and a half years ago I was a lot stronger in every area besides grip.  I was benching 330, could military press 185, deadlifting 425 and getting stronger.  Then one day I was helping move a hay elevator and pop, hurt my elbows, got tennis in my left and golfer elbow in my right instantaneously.  I couldn't use my left to lift anything so I compensated heavily on my right.  throwing hay bales one handed didn't last long and shortly after that I had a slightly torn right rotator cuff (thats my self-diagnosis).  Pretty much stopped lifting cold turkey as I could no longer bench, OHP, curl, pull up, etc without severe pain.  I could still do grip though, so I started concentrating on grip solely.  Fast forward to about 6 months ago, things are finally really starting to fel good again, may have tried to jump in too fast and hurt my left shoulder, thats just now finally healing up too. 

Right now I feel the best I have in a long time as far as pain goes, just have to be smart about getting the strength back as it seems like injuries are potentially around any corner.

Seems like we have had a very similar path regarding work related injuries. 

Sucks having to take time off, a sad reality I know too well. Glad you're getting better though. Adjust and overcome! (I've spent 6 years almost coming back from surgeries and work related damage to my body) 

Best of luck with your progress! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@liftyzigClint: Nice clean.  I know that I saw you do some cool anvil lifts in 2022; didn't realize you were already doing them in 2021.  Well, also time flies.  I started getting into grip in 2017 and I still feel like a newbie, but I guess it is almost 6 years now ...

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 10:20 AM, Vinnie said:

@liftyzigClint: Nice clean.  I know that I saw you do some cool anvil lifts in 2022; didn't realize you were already doing them in 2021.  Well, also time flies.  I started getting into grip in 2017 and I still feel like a newbie, but I guess it is almost 6 years now ...

I know what you mean, some of my first anvil lifts were in 2020!  I keep thinking I've only been into grip a couple years but its been probably 4 now, maybe even closer to 5, I have to look back at old videos to get the timeline figured out, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1