Just my 2 cents

climber511

·        The best “Grip Strength” routine I have ever found is “Power Forearms” done 2x a week for 4 to 5 weeks – followed by “Finger Curls” done double underhand in a power rack for 2 to 3 weeks.  Zero other grip work during this period.  When I return to implement training it seems everything has benefitted – especially pinch strength.

·        Chalk is not all the same – humidity can play a big role in what seems to work best.  Experiment to find your personal best.  That said there isn’t a huge difference for the most part.

·        Clean hands are critical – look for good “wipes” that have no lotions in them or a good no lotion soap like Lava. 

·        Technique is a way bigger factor than people think – Just about every event can be increased with better technique – even without an actual increase in strength.  Several people are good coaches in this area – especially Jedd who has DVDs on about everything grip related.  Myself  – Aaron – David and some others come to mind.

·        I’ve had 3 people email / message me about grip training routines so far this week (it’s Tuesday) so I thought I'd throw this out there.

• Like 6

I've seen that program when you posted it some years ago here.

I have never tried it, or any other special training routines for the forearms in particular.

But the best gains I ever made for my grip strength was actually when I did a bodybuilding training program for biceps and triceps. I did that twice per week as well and I trained my grip along with it.

It was extremely hard to do and the program was definitely designed for people with different supplements than I take. But I made great progress. In about four months I could strict curl 30 kg db's and it gave me a really good foundation for training grip. Thick bar strength increased a lot, gripper strength as well. I think my gripper strength went up from at least 150 to 165 lbs. Without actually doing anything different than before. Same with thick bar, up with 10 kg's at least without any specific training.

So yes having strong arms is very important for grip. In my opinion it might be the most underrated training among gripsters. It's hard to find time to do other stuff when you really want to focus on grip specific exercises. But I think putting in the time to make biceps, triceps and shoulders will help anyone greatly.

Obviously this is true for specific forearm training as well. Which isn't necessarily grip specific exercises.

• Like 1

Chris, you are very strong and knowledgeable & really helped my pinch big-time! Also, finger curls have helped me in the past -oddly enough- with grippers.

• Like 1