Alexander Koss - Level 1

Bill Piche

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Alexander Koss

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Name: Alex K
Height: 183cm (6ft)
Weight: 88kg (194 lbs)
Date of Feat: 10.11.2021
How Long Grip Training: 10 months
Current Grip Training Program: Closing grippers from various sets with 3 days of rest between workouts
Other Training Info: As of recently I started a 4 day gym-grip cycle, with 3 days of gym and the 4th day of grip. It seems to provide the optimal balance between gym and grip progress.
Other Info: I'm an engineering student in Aachen, Germany. Currently finishing my Master's, hoping to continue as a doctoral candidate.

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

I started workout out when I was around 18. It was more of a fun thing rather than serious training, I just wanted to look decently fit. Only around late 2020 before the second lockdown I decided to take gym training to the next level and get strong :D

How did you get into grip training?

When the second 2020 lockdown hit I didn't know what to do. My motivation was high but gyms were closed, and I am not a huge fan of home workouts (they can't really replace strength training, unless you have proper equipment). So I thought I could train something new - my forearms! And thought grippers were the way to go about it :)

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

The gripper is very comfortable to set and feels like a somewhat hard CoC #3, so training with the CoC #3 for MMS reps would be an awesome approach. I believe the most secure way to approach the MM1 would be closing grippers from a MMS rated around 155-160. That way you will secure the cert no matter the conditions! It's always good to have some extra gas in the tank.

What does your current grip routine look like?

I currently train grippers with 3 days of rest between training. Depending on my mood I'll be doing CCS work, MMS closes or DS attempts. I almost never do TNS, it doesn't feel as fun to me. I am also now waiting for my first rolling handle (RGT from GripGenie) to arrive, so I'll be doing that occasionally too!

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

When I started out I had no technique and no plan on how to close stuff. I would just try to close the heaviest grippers I had every day with no chalk and no proper setting techniques.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it's affect on your training?

I have tried training at all frequencies between every day and once a week. To me, the 3 day gap between gripper workouts seems to work the best along with my gym training and daily life. I believe it's important to experiment and find your sweet spot in grip training!

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Closing grippers from Deep Sets (around 15-20mm) or Mash Monster Sets. I'm getting to enjoy Credit Card and Block Sets lately too.

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

I would recommend focusing a lot on proper setting and closing technique first. It's extremely essential to be consistent. At first it might seem like you're doubling in strength every day, while in actuality you're just getting a better set. Regarding the routine, I'd probably train more frequently with less volume in the starting phase, so probably every other day, and really focus on technique. If the frequency gets too high, I'd add a rest day in there.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

I believe David Shamey and Carl Myerscough are the best when it comes to crushing grip strength. Nathan Holle and Ioan Cristian Puscasu are also legends in that department. Generally speaking, there are very many strong and gifted people out there to look up to.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

I would probably be more careful with my routine, not letting skin tares affect my training.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

I think closing a lighter GHP10 from a DS or a new CoC#4 from a CCS can be considered the strongest feats out there.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

GHP8 (167) and GG6 (170) closes from around 20mm, CoC 3.5 (165) MMS close. I am trying to update this list on a frequent basis though ;)

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Overtraining and not being consistent. Ignoring the need of the muscles and skin to recover from workouts.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

Recent CCS closes performed by Carl Myerscough and David Shamey's domination over the MM8 for 7 reps. 

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

I would like to thank my fellow gripsters from the "Training Reports" section of this forum, who have shared valuable advice and supported me throughout this journey!

IMG_4536.JPG

Alex K, the 121st man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1

• Like 4

Good job dude. Won’t be long for the mm2 now. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Good job dude. Won’t be long for the mm2 now. 

Thank you! Very excited to climb the MM ladder! 😃

• Like 2

Great job and at a young age! Impressive 💪👏

• Thanks 1

I think he's the youngest since Ivan Cuk to do it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

Thank you very much guys! :) 

You're welcome. Keep us posted with your progress 👌💪

• Like 1