Ole' Puller

"Bending Isos"
• Black Triangle Edgin
• Shaft diameter: 7.87mm
• Reduced center diameter: 5.67mm

• Horrido 8.8 bolt
• Shaft diameter: 7.82mm
• Reduced center diameter: 5.21mm

"After yesterday's episode of Beyond The Bend with guest Aaron Corcorran, I found his training principles to be of a great interest to me. One of which was machining the center of a steel bar to a reduced diameter as a type of progressive training. I was very intrigued by this so I decided to experiment with the available resources I have. Using one g5 Edgin and a Horrido 8.8 bolt, along with a set of bolt cutters and a metal file, I reduced the mid point of each bar in order to experiment with this principle. Though my method was somewhat crude and lacking in precision, I was able to conduct this experiment successfully while getting in a good isometric bending session. I have lots of these Edgin's and using this principle, I'll be able to put them to good use outside of braced bending. I didn't know what to expect but I'm very pleased with the overall difficulty despite the reduced diameter at the midpoint and by getting these bars to move gradually, I'll get in some good iso training in the process. I can also reduce the midpoint even further in order to complete the bend as well as using a hack saw instead of the cutters to make a few cuts at the midpoint to see how that feels, so that's something I'll work on as well. Of course I'll be aware of the chance of these modified bolts snapping, so I'll exercise caution while training."

👊〰️👊

InShot_20211110_093330085.thumb.jpg.340843d5f37a1e403105f650129d2faf.jpgIMG_20211110_091426831.thumb.jpg.b6005d34b11db0f6bad169ecb1203932.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but it's now moved to the top of my list since reading your post. One thought on how to modify your bolts to reduce the risk of snapping. Maybe try a bench grinder so that you can make the center smaller without causing such sharp cuts to the metal and having less of a chance to snap. You could also smooth out the bar. Just an idea and again I'm only going off your post. Plan to listen to the podcast later today. Thanks for posting.  

• Like 1

Years ago a guy by the name of Terry Duty had a site (see the "Bending Steel" tab in the linked page below) that probably introduced the concept of machining down bars to aid progression.  Obviously having access to a metal lathe would be handy - but failing that I'd be inclined to go with Brett's suggestion of using a bench grinder - I'd be seriously worried about those bolts snapping with a "V" type groove in them. 

Per Terry's commentary, you don't need to take a lot off a bar's width to make it progressive.

Terry Duty's site (WayBack Machine)

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 5:43 AM, Brett said:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but it's now moved to the top of my list since reading your post. One thought on how to modify your bolts to reduce the risk of snapping. Maybe try a bench grinder so that you can make the center smaller without causing such sharp cuts to the metal and having less of a chance to snap. You could also smooth out the bar. Just an idea and again I'm only going off your post. Plan to listen to the podcast later today. Thanks for posting.  

Thank you brother that's very kind of you to offer this advice. Yes, I'll definitely need to grind down the middle which doesn't drastically affect the bolt in the same manner as cutting or scoring. I'm certain grinding would prove to be perfect for what I'm trying to do.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:21 PM, gripmaniac said:

Years ago a guy by the name of Terry Duty had a site (see the "Bending Steel" tab in the linked page below) that probably introduced the concept of machining down bars to aid progression.  Obviously having access to a metal lathe would be handy - but failing that I'd be inclined to go with Brett's suggestion of using a bench grinder - I'd be seriously worried about those bolts snapping with a "V" type groove in them. 

Per Terry's commentary, you don't need to take a lot off a bar's width to make it progressive.

Terry Duty's site (WayBack Machine)

Thanks so much brother for this advice! It truly means a lot! I knew the risks so I'm not entirely surprised with them snapping but I knew going in that it was risky. Grinding down is the best way without a lathe and I look forward to going through the process and trying this again!

17 minutes ago, Ole' Puller said:

Thanks so much brother for this advice! It truly means a lot! I knew the risks so I'm not entirely surprised with them snapping but I knew going in that it was risky. Grinding down is the best way without a lathe and I look forward to going through the process and trying this again!

I just checked out the bending bookmark and it was spectacular! Thank you so much my friend for taking the time to do this!