The Great Canadian Blizzard Grip Contest - March 26th, 2022 - Ottawa, Ontario - NEW DATE

Eric Roussin

THE GREAT CANADIAN BLIZZARD GRIP CONTEST

March 26th, 2022

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Events:

3" Saxon Bar (Sorinex)
Shallow DubHub (Barrel Strength Systems)
Two-Hands Tips Tester (Barrel Strength Systems)
2 3/8" Wrist Wrench
Dynamometer (Jamar Baseline - Digital)
40-Item "Great Canadian Blizzard Grip Medley" 

Weight Classes:

Men’s 83 kg
Men’s 105 kg
Men's 105+ kg
Women’s Open*

*The women's division will not include a medley

Awards for top three finishers in each class!
Special award for overall champion!

Weigh-Ins: 9:15 am to 9:45 am

Contest Start: 10 am

Entry Fee - $40 (includes pizza lunch + snacks and drinks)

Last Man Standing Format

Reverse Strongman Scoring

Open to all! 

Contact Eric Roussin (eroussin@rogers.com or 613-986-1724) to register and/or for additional information, including venue details.
  • Like 7

Eric, you always select great and fun events for your contests! Well-rounded hand strength required. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Eric, you always select great and fun events for your contests! Well-rounded hand strength required. 

Thanks, Michael. I asked several of my regular competitors which events they’d like to see featured and this is the mix I came up with.

• Like 1

I really want to get to one of your contests.  I like these events, too.  Will try!

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Without further ado, I present to you the items that will be featured in the 40-Item "Great Canadian Blizzard Grip Medley":

CoC #2 (Parallel Set)
I-Beam (Andrew Dubé) – 275 lbs
Excavator Bucket (1.5” Handle) – 175 lbs
Double Mini Inch Pinch (Arm Assassin) – 75 lbs
Stacker (IronMind) – 25 lbs
Monster Bell (3” Handle) (Stronger Grip) – 140 lbs
GlobTop (World of Grip) – 20 lbs
Horseshoe Trainer (Robert Baraban)
Monster Crush (Country Crush) – 250 lbs
2” V-Bar (FBBC) – 240 lbs
Double Slim Lever (Arm Assassin) – 5 lbs
Wrist Developer (WD2) (World of Grip) – Orange Spring Level 5-4
Phone Book Tear 
HorneTop (World of Grip) – 120 lbs
Two-Hand Flask (Barrel Strength Systems) – 170 lbs
Meat Hooks (World of Grip) – 250 lbs
Blob50
3” Axle – 200 lbs
Thumb Blaster (Arm Assassin) – 65 lbs
32.5 Blob by the Face
CoC #3 (Parallel Set)
Sledge Lift to Rear – 8 lbs
MoonTop (World of Grip) – 30 lbs
Hub (IronMind) – 40 lbs
Rolling Thunder – 120 lbs
DubeCube Bearing (Andrew Dubé) – 30 lbs
Red Rafter (Clamp Grip) (Stronger Grip) – 30 lbs
Wellington Pinch (Andrew Dubé) – 75 lbs
2” Rope Vertical Lift – 140 lbs
Grab Ball (FBBC) – 150 lbs
Sledge Supination (on Floor) – 6 lbs
Stub (World of Grip) – 25 lbs
Payne (JokaBug) – 30 lbs
Finnish Ball (Otevoima) – 65 lbs
25-lb Plate by the Hub (Shallow)
124-lb Anvil by the Horn
8-lb Bomb (FBBC) – 65 lbs
Handshake (World of Grip) – 160 lbs
Gold Bar (World of Grip) – 50 lbs
CoC #1 (Parallel Set)

Competitors will have three and a half minutes to complete as many of these feats as possible. Any order, either hand, unlimited attempts within the time limit.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Without further ado, I present to you the items that will be featured in the 40-Item "Great Canadian Blizzard Grip Medley":

CoC #2 (Parallel Set)
I-Beam (Andrew Dubé) – 275 lbs
Excavator Bucket (1.5” Handle) – 175 lbs
Double Mini Inch Pinch (Arm Assassin) – 75 lbs
Stacker (IronMind) – 25 lbs
Monster Bell (3” Handle) (Stronger Grip) – 140 lbs
GlobTop (World of Grip) – 20 lbs
Horseshoe Trainer (Robert Baraban)
Monster Crush (Country Crush) – 250 lbs
2” V-Bar (FBBC) – 240 lbs
Double Slim Lever (Arm Assassin) – 5 lbs
Wrist Developer (WD2) (World of Grip) – Orange Spring Level 5-4
Phone Book Tear 
HorneTop (World of Grip) – 120 lbs
Two-Hand Flask (Barrel Strength Systems) – 170 lbs
Meat Hooks (World of Grip) – 250 lbs
Blob50
3” Axle – 200 lbs
Thumb Blaster (Arm Assassin) – 65 lbs
32.5 Blob by the Face
CoC #3 (Parallel Set)
Sledge Lift to Rear – 8 lbs
MoonTop (World of Grip) – 30 lbs
Hub (IronMind) – 40 lbs
Rolling Thunder – 120 lbs
DubeCube Bearing (Andrew Dubé) – 30 lbs
Red Rafter (Clamp Grip) (Stronger Grip) – 30 lbs
Wellington Pinch (Andrew Dubé) – 75 lbs
2” Rope Vertical Lift – 140 lbs
Grab Ball (FBBC) – 150 lbs
Sledge Supination (on Floor) – 6 lbs
Stub (World of Grip) – 25 lbs
Payne (JokaBug) – 30 lbs
Finnish Ball (Otevoima) – 65 lbs
25-lb Plate by the Hub (Shallow)
124-lb Anvil by the Horn
8-lb Bomb (FBBC) – 65 lbs
Handshake (World of Grip) – 160 lbs
Gold Bar (World of Grip) – 50 lbs
CoC #1 (Parallel Set)

Competitors will have three and a half minutes to complete as many of these feats as possible. Any order, either hand, unlimited attempts within the time limit.

Oh this looks FUN

• Like 2

Eric, I will give the women's and men's winner of the medley $50 US each. You do such a great job selecting diverse events/lifts for your contests-much respect!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Eric, I will give the women's and men's winner of the medley $50 US each. You do such a great job selecting diverse events/lifts for your contests-much respect!

Wow! Thanks!

• Like 1

I booked my refundable hotel for two nights and determined that if I can make it that weekend, I will drive the 8 hours.  I still have to work out my timing with my ex as to when I have my son and with my girlfriend as to whether I am overdoing my grip comp quota, but I am thinking it is at least more likely than not that I can finally attend one of your comps.  Also, COVID restrictions permitting, of course.  But COVID won't stop me unless the travel rules forbid it; I am triple vaxxed and reasonably careful, so I am not that worried about getting or spreading it myself.

For purposes of selling the weekend trip to my girlfriend, anything cool/unusual/romantic worth telling her about that could be seen in Ottawa in the evening after the comp, or the next morning before returning?  We probably can't stay longer than Friday to Sunday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I booked my refundable hotel for two nights and determined that if I can make it that weekend, I will drive the 8 hours.  I still have to work out my timing with my ex as to when I have my son and with my girlfriend as to whether I am overdoing my grip comp quota, but I am thinking it is at least more likely than not that I can finally attend one of your comps.  Also, COVID restrictions permitting, of course.  But COVID won't stop me unless the travel rules forbid it; I am triple vaxxed and reasonably careful, so I am not that worried about getting or spreading it myself.

For purposes of selling the weekend trip to my girlfriend, anything cool/unusual/romantic worth telling her about that could be seen in Ottawa in the evening after the comp, or the next morning before returning?  We probably can't stay longer than Friday to Sunday.

It would be great if you can come! The contest is being held the last weekend of Winterlude, a pretty big annual event. Not too many details yet, but here’s the website: https://ottawatourism.ca/en/see-and-do/winterlude

• Like 1

I would like to see Dynamometers contested more often. If you were closer, I’d be there. Great events 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

I would like to see Dynamometers contested more often. If you were closer, I’d be there. Great events 

What's your best dynamometer?  Most I've seen in person was Chez, saw him crack 280+ on the baseline dynamometer both times.  I bet you are in that range, plus or minus a few.

34 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

What's your best dynamometer?  Most I've seen in person was Chez, saw him crack 280+ on the baseline dynamometer both times.  I bet you are in that range, plus or minus a few.

Right at 280. I would like to give it another try. I borrowed Aaron’s awhile back (the one Chez bought from him oddly enough). Back then my bodyweight was 190-200, I’m heavier now and I bet I could do more 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Right at 280. I would like to give it another try. I borrowed Aaron’s awhile back (the one Chez bought from him oddly enough). Back then my bodyweight was 190-200, I’m heavier now and I bet I could do more 

You are like a well rounded grip freak man you are good at everything.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I need to reschedule the date for this contest. It will now be held on March 26th, which means the weather is less likely to be blizzard-like.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This contest is coming up in less than three weeks. Just a reminder that that Michael Thomas has donated two cash prizes of $50 to be awarded to the man and woman with the best medley performances!

As well, there will be a variety of draw prizes, including various pieces of equipment from Arm Assassin!

• Like 2

It's looking like we'll have a decent-sized group. Here's what the expected line-up looks like at this point:

83 kg

Adam Chappell
Alain Goyer
Stefano Fortugno
Gord McDonald
Marc*

105 kg

Eric Roussin
Zach Ebel*
Luigi Costanzo
Rick Blanchard
James*

105+ kg

Justin Major
Phil Fortin*
Stéphane Ouellette

Women

Joliane Vinette
Kathy Facey*

*denotes a first-time competitor

If you're an American and would like to dip your toe into grip sport, this would be a good opportunity. (Double vaccination is required to cross the border, as well as a negative COVID test taken within 24 hours of crossing -- I don't make the rules, but that's what they are right now.)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 12:57 PM, Kluv#0 said:

I came out on top for the medley, and newcomer Kathy Facey won the women's medley. Thanks, Michael!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I came out on top for the medley, and newcomer Kathy Facey won the women's medley. Thanks, Michael!

Congrats Eric the Great and Kathy! 

• Like 2