Supplements for Joints?

Oreowahl

Hello I am new to the Board and also fairly green with grip training I have been doing a lot of block training and 2in rope pull ups but my knuckles closest to my palm are starting to ache is this over training or are there some good supplements I can take to aid this problem?

• Like 2

Probably just over training. Joint health has the same requirements as general health, avoid inflammatory foods, eat adequate protein including collagen in some form, drink water, and get plenty of low intensity movement. After that look into improving sleep and then tackle all of the non-physical stressors in your life tho of course that last one is easier said than done. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oreowahl said:

Hello I am new to the Board and also fairly green with grip training I have been doing a lot of block training and 2in rope pull ups but my knuckles closest to my palm are starting to ache is this over training or are there some good supplements I can take to aid this problem?

I make sure to keep myself supplied with Calcium Magnesium! Magnesium is needed for the absorption of Calcium from what I have come to understand ( and based on my personal experience with taking any supplements ) 

Vitamin B Complex, and Vitamin C have also done me wonders! Even going on walks in the sunlight seems to help with progress in my grip strength training. Probably due to the skin being triggered to release vitamin D. 

Course, I can't say to quote me on that, since all works differently for many of us and this is just my opinion. Hope it helps a little :D

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Oreowahl said:

I agree with Joe, sardines are golden for overall health and Omega 3 fatty acids. I worked with fish for over a decade and they're super beneficial. 

Not a sup expert, but here's what I'm taking daily just to make conversation: creatine, multivitamin, magnesium and Omega 3. All can be found for cheap too, at least where I live. 

As for the base of the finger pain, I had that last year for a while. I caused that from trying to close my goal gripper in every session for several weeks. That didn't go very well. Much like anything else strength related, you gotta back off and do less sometimes. Whether it's a smaller gripper in resistance, holds for time or like you said pull ups with a rope. Plus I've found out through the years that rope movements (or even Excalibur type grip) will force your fingers to rotate. 

How often do you train grip? 

9 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I cannot tout sardines enough. They contain every nutrient/mineral  the human body needs and are anti inflammatory to the max. I’ve eaten 2 cans a day for at least 25 years now. One of the best foods for the body in existence. Cheap to....

I also love mackerel... Man that stuff tastes so good. Plus high in Omega 3 like the sardines. Haha fish talk.. 

I think maybe some rest is in order recovery is very important. Training I would put at maybe a quarter of what is needed for gains and just normal life in general.

I'm with the fish as well oily fish is good love mackerel but also take an omega 3,6,9 supplement 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oreowahl said:

Thank you for all the replys and I do block training everyday but only use the rope 2 or 3 times a week.

Pinch block? Plus 2-3 more sessions per week is a lot of work for small muscles like our hands and forearms. Of course depends on duration and intensity of the session. But even if it's basic regular sessions it's still quite a lot. 

2-3 sessions per week seems to be more than enough for most people. Of course more experienced guys can chime in on this..

I train twice per week plus 3 days powerlifting and strongman. So I got my hands full, pun intended haha

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I cannot tout sardines enough. They contain every nutrient/mineral  the human body needs and are anti inflammatory to the max. I’ve eaten 2 cans a day for at least 25 years now. One of the best foods for the body in existence. Cheap to....

Totally agree with this.. lots of omega 3s, at a dollar fifty a can in Trader Joe’s, these can’t be beat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

2-3 times a week for the rope is too much. If I do the rope work too much it kills my medial and lateral epicondyle. 1-2 times max maybe on a Monday and a Friday and if you want to do regular bar type pulls on Wednesday and you should be fine. It’s all about balance with that. Towel pull ups did the same thing to me. 

Thanks man I actually started doing rope pullups because of one of your posts so I am going to take your recommendation seriously. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Oreowahl said:

It’s normal when relatively new to grip training to get this pain as the connective tissue has to strain and twist in directions it’s not used to- Especially with rope.  If I get knuckle pain now, after all these years…it’s from doing too much at close or higher than max. Rest has really been the only thing, and time, to get rid of it. 
Organic black seed oil has tons of benefits: for inflammation, and many other health progress. And rich in omega fats.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, slazbob said:

It’s normal when relatively new to grip training to get this pain as the connective tissue has to strain and twist in directions it’s not used to- Especially with rope.  If I get knuckle pain now, after all these years…it’s from doing too much at close or higher than max. Rest has really been the only thing, and time, to get rid of it. 
Organic black seed oil has tons of benefits: for inflammation, and many other health progress. And rich in omega fats.

Thank you I am going to slow down a little and rest more I will look into that oil as well.

• Like 2

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but supplemental movement is always good. Just opening and closing your hand a bunch... say one set of 100.

1 hour ago, hellswindstaff said:

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for but supplemental movement is always good. Just opening and closing your hand a bunch... say one set of 100.

That does seem like it would help everyone says that movement is good for recovery.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some people take supplements with Methylsulfonyl­methan and Glucosamine sulphate for joint pain. I think there are no conclusive studies about it, but they sell it in supplements for racing horses and dogs too 🤣