Handle Spread

SkyHeart

To those who own Powerball branded Grippers. Did any of you notice after some usage / closes that the spread narrowed just a teensy bit? it has been staying the same, but am curious if this is normal for all brands of grippers. Don't get me wrong, I love this brand and how they design, color and set their products, its just something I felt like bringing up. 

EDIT (again) : Just received my second gripper from RPM. I was very impressed with these handles and the difficulty is accurate. Would buy from them a third time :D

Edited by SkyHeart
  • Like 1

It’s normal for most brands made overseas. IronMind, GHP, Standard will barely change if at all. 

The major loss happens on literally the first rep. After closing, it simply doesn’t open as far.

The main reason for this is that gripper springs are technically “out of spec” for the material. By design, the range of motion and resulting deformation of the spring coils exceeds recommended tolerances. They are not “unsafe” exactly, but the overload can lead to this kind of result. Or a spring break which almost always happens at the same over-stressed spot. 

Combine that with lesser grade materials used over seas and you can have a dramatic loss of spread. The gripper is still totally functional, just more narrow and easier. But it was only “harder” for that one rep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It’s normal for most brands made overseas. IronMind, GHP, Standard will barely change if at all. 

The major loss happens on literally the first rep. After closing, it simply doesn’t open as far.

The main reason for this is that gripper springs are technically “out of spec” for the material. By design, the range of motion and resulting deformation of the spring coils exceeds recommended tolerances. They are not “unsafe” exactly, but the overload can lead to this kind of result. Or a spring break which almost always happens at the same over-stressed spot. 

Combine that with lesser grade materials used over seas and you can have a dramatic loss of spread. The gripper is still totally functional, just more narrow and easier. But it was only “harder” for that one rep.

Thanks a bunch for the clarification my friend. That does explain a lot really. I had a gripper snap on me a few months ago (off brand "150") but that was after tons, tons and more tons of reps. It is good to know that this is normal. 

For some reason, i didn't see a notification that you replied to this thread xD

9 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

I had a gripper snap on me a few months ago (off brand "150") but that was after tons, tons and more tons of reps. It is good to know that this is normal. 

A bit of clarification that breaks are not common. In 10 years of doing CPW, nobody has ever contacted us that their spring broke. I have never personally seen one break and we’ve put around 300,000 reps on grippers for the rating service. 

If the break happens in the first ~100 reps then that is a defect. If you get hundreds and hundreds of reps on a $15-$25 gripper before it breaks, well that little guy lived a purposeful life full of utility before throwing in the towel. I’m calling even this rare break “normal” in the sense that one would just replace that gripper. 

And one more thing to remember that many people never knew or forgot: Heavy Grips has a lifetime warranty. If you purchased at CPW we proudly service that warranty!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

A bit of clarification that breaks are not common. In 10 years of doing CPW, nobody has ever contacted us that their spring broke. I have never personally seen one break and we’ve put around 300,000 reps on grippers for the rating service. 

If the break happens in the first ~100 reps then that is a defect. If you get hundreds and hundreds of reps on a $15-$25 gripper before it breaks, well that little guy lived a purposeful life full of utility before throwing in the towel. I’m calling even this rare break “normal” in the sense that one would just replace that gripper. 

And one more thing to remember that many people never knew or forgot: Heavy Grips has a lifetime warranty. If you purchased at CPW we proudly service that warranty!

Oh I believe you whole heartedly ! :D This was some gripper I bought off of Ebay, but I don't even think i saw the brand name. It worked surprisingly well for almost two years despite only costing like 8 dollars. But thank you for letting me know in advance about the efficiency of your services. Motivates me to buy from Cannon Power works even more! Cheers :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyHeart said:

Oh I believe you whole heartedly ! :D This was some gripper I bought off of Ebay, but I don't even think i saw the brand name. It worked surprisingly well for almost two years despite only costing like 8 dollars. But thank you for letting me know in advance about the efficiency of your services. Motivates me to buy from Cannon Power works even more! Cheers :)

lol you and Terry talked me into buying one. I have the Powerball 250 coming in the mail tomorrow 😎

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

lol you and Terry talked me into buying one. I have the Powerball 250 coming in the mail tomorrow 😎

Superb! You will for sure be mashing it like a boss in no time :D I love how they colored each level. The pink and purple 50 - 100 lb grips are adorable too ! I think the next one i would buy will be the silver "300 LBS" option! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Superb! You will for sure be mashing it like a boss in no time :D I love how they colored each level. The pink and purple 50 - 100 lb grips are adorable too ! I think the next one i would buy will be the silver "300 LBS" option! 

Thanks bro. Hope to join you in the 300lbs club soon! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks bro. Hope to join you in the 300lbs club soon! 

A toast in advance to us conquering grippers beginning with a "3"! I'm not sure how close i am yet, but my 250 has become pretty easy. i'm guessing thats a good sign! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Hope you'll enjoy it! Funny story, I was supposed to be collabing with them since last year and they gave me a discount code and everything but after several attempts via messenger and after they'd read my messages, they never bothered. So I removed them from my links on IG and YT lol... 

They sent me a promo package with a shirt that didn't fit me at all so I couldn't wear it and 2 grippers which I already owned. After I sent them multiple times which ones I was missing cause they just didn't sell them here. Not trying to trash talk though. It just, deflated from their part it seems lol

I was supposed to do a gripper video review for the brand. Much like I've done for other companies. Oh well.. 

• Like 2