Chest crushes and grip strength?

SkyHeart

Does this exercise help much with enhancing hand strength for closing a difficult gripper? I haven't really tried Chest Crushes but am curious about their purpose now.

2 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Does this exercise help much with enhancing hand strength for closing a difficult gripper? I haven't really tried Chest Crushes but am curious about their purpose now.

I don't do chest crushes and I am not very good at them (I'm all arms and not as much chest).  However, setting a very hard gripper is a little like the beginning of a chest crush, at least related, so I am sure there is SOME payoff.

I'm still not gonna do 'em lol.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I don't do chest crushes and I am not very good at them (I'm all arms and not as much chest).  However, setting a very hard gripper is a little like the beginning of a chest crush, at least related, so I am sure there is SOME payoff.

I'm still not gonna do 'em lol.

I was apprehensive of them for a while now but then i started to think "hm.. maybe they condition the palms and part of the forearm muscles for certain movements in grip training". I bought a GHP level 10 and decided to start my approach on it with those and see how it results! it fascinates me what a good setting can do in the long run. (Thanks for replying by the way! ) I started on grippers 2.5 years ago and finally thought it'd be fun to interact with my fellow grip Enthusiasts :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

I was apprehensive of them for a while now but then i started to think "hm.. maybe they condition the palms and part of the forearm muscles for certain movements in grip training". I bought a GHP level 10 and decided to start my approach on it with those and see how it results! it fascinates me what a good setting can do in the long run. (Thanks for replying by the way! ) I started on grippers 2.5 years ago and finally thought it'd be fun to interact with my fellow grip Enthusiasts :)

Half of my enjoyment of grippers is the people I have met because of this board.  And I must have met 30 or 40 of them now, maybe more, from comps and get togethers, all over the country (Washington, Texas, West Virginia, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, and more whenever I can).  A few are now good friends.  Grip and the people in it have become an important part of life for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Half of my enjoyment of grippers is the people I have met because of this board.  And I must have met 30 or 40 of them now, maybe more, from comps and get togethers, all over the country (Washington, Texas, West Virginia, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, and more whenever I can).  A few are now good friends.  Grip and the people in it have become an important part of life for me.

Awesome to hear! So far I've met no one in person who is interested in the sport of Grippers/Gripping but have come across a few on Youtube who would kindly reply to my comments on Youtube uploads dedicated to the subject! Its funny how the community seems small compared to the general weightlifting population, but it is one of the reasons I love this topic and form of training so much. kind of like under-rated , timeless music, you know? Also, it is Grand to meet you, Good Sir! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Awesome to hear! So far I've met no one in person who is interested in the sport of Grippers/Gripping but have come across a few on Youtube who would kindly reply to my comments on Youtube uploads dedicated to the subject! Its funny how the community seems small compared to the general weightlifting population, but it is one of the reasons I love this topic and form of training so much. kind of like under-rated , timeless music, you know? Also, it is Grand to meet you, Good Sir! 

What country or state are you in?  You should make a point to go to a competition if one is in range.  Tomorrow morning is the biggest one of all, worldwide in 25 venues at once.  King Kong.  I doubt you'll make it this year but maybe by next year you will have done a smaller local one or two and will want to head to one of them.  Usually in October.  But there are probably 30 or 40 comps per year between the grip board and arm lifting (maybe more actually including arm lifting which isn't much different).  Comps are usually 5 to 20 people and very social, mixed with beginners and experts, and sometimes women and kids compete also.  I've really enjoyed them, and even once in a while have won my weight class or a small prize (grip implement, $50, etc.).  Hope to see you at one in teh future.

• Like 1

But yeah, hardly anyone I meet in person is ever interested in grip, unless I met them from here lol.

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

What country or state are you in?  You should make a point to go to a competition if one is in range.  Tomorrow morning is the biggest one of all, worldwide in 25 venues at once.  King Kong.  I doubt you'll make it this year but maybe by next year you will have done a smaller local one or two and will want to head to one of them.  Usually in October.  But there are probably 30 or 40 comps per year between the grip board and arm lifting (maybe more actually including arm lifting which isn't much different).  Comps are usually 5 to 20 people and very social, mixed with beginners and experts, and sometimes women and kids compete also.  I've really enjoyed them, and even once in a while have won my weight class or a small prize (grip implement, $50, etc.).  Hope to see you at one in teh future.

Proudly born and raised in Florida, U.S :D Quite honestly I was not aware of these competitions and how they were in various locations around the globe, but it sure seems mighty interesting ! I'm not entirely sure where i am at the moment, but i own an off brand "250" gripper that i can now hold closed or rep more than once with ease ( within a few minutes that is ) i'm thinking maybe around CoC No.2 Status? But i absolutely will be glad to attend one of these sometime. I bet theres quite an adrenaline rush at the contests in mid gripper close yeah? Even when at home alone and attempting a milestone, it feels like such a rush xD 

• Like 1

No they don't increase gripper strength, maybe they add some strength in the upper body for setting grippers, but then again, best way to train that is to actually practicing setting grippers.

The purpose of chest crushing grippers is to increase strength for bending steel. The final part of bending a steel bar to the U-shape is the same exact movement.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

No they don't increase gripper strength, maybe they add some strength in the upper body for setting grippers, but then again, best way to train that is to actually practicing setting grippers.

The purpose of chest crushing grippers is to increase strength for bending steel. The final part of bending a steel bar to the U-shape is the same exact movement.

Makes absolute sense. Plus I was starting to think about taking a dive into steel bending lately. Thanks! :D I noticed when making a few chest crush attempts one my difficult grippers, it gets my circulation revved up so that seems like a bonus.

It doesn't do much for your grip but you get a good pump in your chest and shoulders. And they're great for steel bending. Pretty much the same muscles used. Not an expert though 👌

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 9:22 PM, Terry Gripperaddicted said:

It doesn't do much for your grip but you get a good pump in your chest and shoulders. And they're great for steel bending. Pretty much the same muscles used. Not an expert though 👌

Just now saw this. Thank you ! :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Just now saw this. Thank you ! :D

No problem 👌

Update! I'm now closing the handles of my GHP 10 about half way there! ( Well when performing chest crushes of course. I'm still far from doing deepsets or negatives xD) 

Edited by SkyHeart