MT new bending journey

Kluv#0

Hello benders. I retired from gripsport in May due to family medical crisis. However, to keep mind distracted and body somewhat healthy, I started back with grippers and wrist training  in Mid -July and my strength is slowly coming back. One aspect of grip that I always wanted to try in earnest was nail bending. This past Saturday(10/23) I received some nails from Ironmind and tried out nail bending with wraps(my first ever bends and felt amazing) hard part is is the darn wrapping of pads! 4 years ago, I tried bending one session with arms straight out without wraps:( and gave my bag of nails away. This time, I want to learn the technique and work at it. Due to significant surgery in June and having a torn pec for decades,  Double underhand and reverse style is most comfortable.  Ordered some additional steel from Devin and it should arrive this week. Would like to establish form, learn how to wrap pads, place fingers properly - then if(big if) life does not get in the way- set specific bending goals. I have read much and watched numerous vids in the last 3 days from GB- nice place to learn.

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 10

Welcome to the weird world of bending! Good luck on your journey. Being a grip athlete I feel like you’ll pick things up fast. 👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Goodluck! With those wrists you will get strong fast! If you wonder anything just PM! 

• Thanks 1

Received steel from Devin Hoover yesterday afternoon and gave the nails a go this A.M. Warmup with close grip bench, levering and yellow nail. Started with reverse and underhand blue mail then 5 bends of 60 Penny nails - felt good but zillion miles to go with technique and wrapping - omg😊 watch my double underhand for laughs starts at 2:41 thru 2:45 too funny 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, devinhoo said:

Heck yeah man! Glad to see you melting some steel. 

Wrapping takes some time to get used to, but Delmar Carter and Jan Heller have dome some good videos on how to wrap steel, in addition to the classic Tommy Jennings video.

Devin, you have a great bending website!! Very impressive that you had the idea and willing to spend the time to build it. Also. I knew you were a very strong young man in Armlifting/gripsport but man you are a killer on the bending too. Keep up the fantastic work and spirit🙏👍💪🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO DU and reverse is a truer test of wrist and forearm strength than DO. DO is more of a complex feat that relies more on technique, flexibility, wrap setup and very specific upper body strength more so than actual wrist and forearm strength. 

Difficulty wise you can’t compare the styles. A 60d DO with double leather wraps is an easy bend but with slippery and poorly wrapped ironmind pads it’s actually quite hard. 

BTW I would suggest getting some leather wraps. They’re easier to wrap and they tend to not be as slippy as the ironmind wraps.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, David_wigren said:

IMO DU and reverse is a truer test of wrist and forearm strength than DO. DO is more of a complex feat that relies more on technique, flexibility, wrap setup and very specific upper body strength more so than actual wrist and forearm strength. 

Difficulty wise you can’t compare the styles. A 60d DO with double leather wraps is an easy bend but with slippery and poorly wrapped ironmind pads it’s actually quite hard. 

BTW I would suggest getting some leather wraps. They’re easier to wrap and they tend to not be as slippy as the ironmind wraps.

David, thanks for checking my vid out and I will buy some leather wraps.  
Couple questions if you don’t mind- where do you place your fingers on the bar Reverse style? Also, the top hand that is bending - is the thumb vertical, 45 or horizontal when bending? 
Thanks so much🙏

Edited by Kluv#0

I admire bending but I hate doing it, seems unworthy of the pain and injury risk (for me, not judging others who feel differently).

I have tried it though, and like you, I prefer reverse and DUH to DOH.  I can reverse a 60-D but have not been able to DOH one, and they seem very different bends to me.  I have also done some light horseshoes and participated in some social braced bends of longer thicker bars.  

My takeaway is that it is a great all-around strength builder, just at a price that's not for me.  So I am happy to watch.

I hope you are also watching Don Cummings!  And Tom Flesher!  I'm sure they would have advice to share as well.

Good luck.  I'll keep chasing you on grippers but you are on your own on this one, young man ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I admire bending but I hate doing it, seems unworthy of the pain and injury risk (for me, not judging others who feel differently).

I have tried it though, and like you, I prefer reverse and DUH to DOH.  I can reverse a 60-D but have not been able to DOH one, and they seem very different bends to me.  I have also done some light horseshoes and participated in some social braced bends of longer thicker bars.  

My takeaway is that it is a great all-around strength builder, just at a price that's not for me.  So I am happy to watch.

I hope you are also watching Don Cummings!  And Tom Flesher!  I'm sure they would have advice to share as well.

Good luck.  I'll keep chasing you on grippers but you are on your own on this one, young man ...

I always was impressed with benders even though I had zero clue what it took to do the various bends. When I lifted the inch replica DB(only 4-5 guys have done it with sub 7.5” - shameless pat on back) I exhaled then life announced some craziness. Stopped doing thickbar and pinch( I was pretty good at keypinch😊) and found solace in grippers and wrist routine again. Then I saw a video on bending and became intrigued and once I bent the first I was addicted but hate having to wrap.

As far as grippers chasing -You are much better at grippers than me and 98% of grip community. Like I mentioned to you before, I feel you are the best pound for pound gripper man in the U.S.💯

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

you are the best pound for pound gripper man in the U.S.

Thank you kindly, that means a lot and definitely motivates me to cut some of the fried food to make it more possibly the case lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

David, thanks for checking my vid out and I will buy some leather wraps.  
Couple questions if you don’t mind- where do you place your fingers on the bar Reverse style? Also, the top hand that is bending - is the thumb vertical, 45 or horizontal when bending? 
Thanks so much🙏

Not sure about my finger placement but my thumb is close to vertical.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:03 AM, Kluv#0 said:

Hello benders. I retired from gripsport in May due to family medical crisis. However, to keep mind distracted and body somewhat healthy, I started back with grippers and wrist training  in Mid -July and my strength is slowly coming back. One aspect of grip that I always wanted to try in earnest was nail bending. This past Saturday(10/23) I received some nails from Ironmind and tried out nail bending with wraps(my first ever bends and felt amazing) hard part is is the darn wrapping of pads! 4 years ago, I tried bending one session with arms straight out without wraps:( and gave my bag of nails away. This time, I want to learn the technique and work at it. Due to significant surgery in June and having a torn pec for decades,  Double underhand and reverse style is most comfortable.  Ordered some additional steel from Devin and it should arrive this week. Would like to establish form, learn how to wrap pads, place fingers properly - then if(big if) life does not get in the way- set specific bending goals. I have read much and watched numerous vids in the last 3 days from GB- nice place to learn.

Great to hear brother! These videos are great for info:

• Thanks 1

Heslep style bend 60 D Penny 

Spent most of workout stretching and isometric. Did a bunch of 60 Penny various bends. In about month I will start trying harder steel but currently trying to figure form and wrapping out- I will update next my journey Dec 1.

• Like 4

Nice work on that Heslep bend. That's a tough style.

Taking a month to dial in technique before moving on to tougher steel is really smart. I did the same thing, spent a week bending 60d's in scraps of denim before I ordered an advanced bag and leather wraps from FBBC. Not that my technique was any good after only a month, but I had a feel for the movement before I was tempted to try anything too difficult.

Edited by devinhoo
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Excited to follow this log Michael. Glad to hear you may have found a new home with steel bending. Would be great to see you on the red nail roster 👍

• Thanks 1

My first grade 5 bolt bend - double underhand 

Need tons of work on sweep and generally ever aspect. Was going to do 60 Penny for a month but figured go one step higher. Having fun although my gripper strength is going down like Enron stock.

• Like 4

Terrible bending day as wraps came off mid reverse bend 2x.  Decided to work on finger and wrist flexion with some IM axle tosses done thumbless. One of sets below. Bending iso work with device sold by Devin Hoover to finish up-I actually like the iso work less hassle with wrapping. My wrists need to get more conditioned and wrapping imperative to improve. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Heslep Style Ironmind Blue Nail "Attempt". approx. 90 degree resulting bend. We had a yard sale week ago and I found my 6 remaining blue nails and IM wraps. Due to not being able to wrap properly and other grip goals I gave away $700+ of bending supplies to my buddy who now resides Mumbai. Have not bent anything since late November '21. I have mucho respect for all types of bending and when I hear people say it's not grip, I shake my head! I will try an IM Blue once a week for a month and hopefully get it closed away from body. I had done several closer blue nails but not filmed back in November'21

heslep.png

• Like 4

I’m with you , I believe bending works grip.  It might not make your pinch stronger but makes your whole hands and wrists stronger as a unit.

is this the same as “Slim style” bending?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I’m with you , I believe bending works grip.  It might not make your pinch stronger but makes your whole hands and wrists stronger as a unit.

is this the same as “Slim style” bending?

I really don't know much about various bending styles, but I do know this Heslep style if done with wraps touching is brutally hard for most. The hard part for me is trying to get in position to crush down away from body. 

• Like 1

Glad to see you're back into it. Hopefully you We'll stay healthy. You've got some great videos very inspirational. You're a good Dude. Thank you for everything

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1