Seated rope climb for arm wrestling

Joe Sullivan

No leg use only Using ARMS  and hold at the top at 242 body weight 

Edited by Joe Sullivan
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Wow, I felt happy doing it at  only 175lbs.  Very impressive!

I wish I could attach the rope to the ceiling so I can go all the way up it’s full length . My wife said no because she’s afraid it may wreck the roof. 

5 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I wish I could attach the rope to the ceiling so I can go all the way up it’s full length . My wife said no because she’s afraid it may wreck the roof. 

I don't know how your house is  framed or what floor your gym is on, but if you can attach it  to a joist or something solid, it should be fine.  Not in the middle of the span, but closer to a wall, beam or lally column or something.. 

In former times I also loved such exercises for armwrestling, but I liked the reverse variant more. I felt more of its effect in armwrestling. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I don't know how your house is  framed or what floor your gym is on, but if you can attach it  to a joist or something solid, it should be fine.  Not in the middle of the span, but closer to a wall, beam or lally column or something.. 

the floor is concrete of the gym and the roof is wood of the garage. I would rather not risk damage to the house. Maybe build a tall portable attachment.

2 hours ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

In former times I also loved such exercises for armwrestling, but I liked the reverse variant more. I felt more of its effect in armwrestling. 

I forgot to try that way. I’m very good at the reverse variant off pull ups and holds on the rope.

16 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

No leg use only Using ARMS  and hold at the top at 242 body weight 

Mad strong man I can't even do 1 pull up 🤣

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

Mad strong man I can't even do 1 pull up 🤣

Thanks, Erik. Pull ups and all of their variants  are one of the keys to major strength. To me they are one of the best exercises a man can do. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Thanks, Erik. Pull ups and all of their variants  are one of the keys to major strength. To me they are one of the best exercises a man can do. 

Yeah they are pretty awesome. I did manage to do half a pull up a while back but I have never been strong enough to do a full rep. They aren't really beneficial to me because I only do resistance training for hypertrophy and there isn't a muscle in the back that can't be trained using rows instead. I could use chin ups since my biceps are a major weakpoint but my insertions are so bad that it is nearly impossible  for me to gain size in that area.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Dang Joe, impressive.

Thanks, Bill. Haven’t climbed a rope in 20 years since I was a marine. Shoot... 22 years!!!! Some lost gold I’m resurrecting.  I’m gonna add weight next time I do it. Gonna do these once a week. 

Edited by Joe Sullivan

12 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Yeah they are pretty awesome. I did manage to do half a pull up a while back but I have never been strong enough to do a full rep. They aren't really beneficial to me because I only do resistance training for hypertrophy and there isn't a muscle in the back that can't be trained using rows instead. I could use chin ups since my biceps are a major weakpoint but my insertions are so bad that it is nearly impossible  for me to gain size in that area.

Chin ups and pull ups are beneficial for everyone because it builds strength and movement in your bodies natural movement patterns more so that the accessories would. Can’t beat them for muscle development or function. The other exercises you state are for the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Chin ups and pull ups are beneficial for everyone because it builds strength and movement in your bodies natural movement patterns more so that the accessories would. Can’t beat them for muscle development or function. The other exercises you state are for the icing on the cake.

I respectfully disagree I don't really believe in functional strength and pull ups are a terrible overall back developer they are great for lat development but you can get the same development doing rows. The chin up is one of the best bicep exercises though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

I respectfully disagree I don't really believe in functional strength and pull ups are a terrible overall back developer they are great for lat development but you can get the same development doing rows. The chin up is one of the best bicep exercises though.

Most of my arm size and grip strength comes from pull ups and all their variants. All I used to do before I ever found grip or arm wrestling. Definitely was crucial for where I’m at today. 

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Sullivan said:

Most of my arm size and grip strength comes from pull ups and all their variants. All I used to do before I ever found grip or arm wrestling. Definitely was crucial for where I’m at today. 

I agree with you  they are amazing for grip strength and arm size.

• Like 1

I measured my forearm  fully goosenecked  (flexed while pressed against my bicep) it's 16 inches my upper arm is 16.9 I am an inch away from achieving popeye status which I am going for.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Which one is the best for building grip strength in your opinion?

8 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I forgot to try that way. I’m very good at the reverse variant off pull ups and holds on the rope.

Yes, the loads here are very similar to what you give your wrists with hammers, and this is your strong point. So it should turn out good! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Yes, the loads here are very similar to what you give your wrists with hammers, and this is your strong point. So it should turn out good! 

When I do those I find I feel it in my bicep so much more, it's rare to flex the bicep with such an extended shoulder position and a very interesting movement. I did them after seeing an old video of Todd Hutchings doing them with a weighted backpack on, super impressive especially for the heavier guys. 

58 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

When I do those I find I feel it in my bicep so much more, it's rare to flex the bicep with such an extended shoulder position and a very interesting movement. I did them after seeing an old video of Todd Hutchings doing them with a weighted backpack on, super impressive especially for the heavier guys. 

Such complex exercises always "find" your weak muscles. And this is their meaning. I always felt my chest and shoulders more - my weak points in the fight, and pronators, that I tore many years ago ... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Yes absolutely I think that’s why I’m so good at the reverse ones I think I’m even better at the reverse rope  pull ups than the regular ones

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I don’t feel it in my biceps. I feel it in my brachioradialis.

4 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I don’t feel it in my biceps. I feel it in my brachioradialis.

Not surprising, you and I have wildly different strength distributions. I'm pretty sure my bicep is actually weaker than my brachioradialis

• Like 1

Got a thicker rope for even more grip and arm Benefit. Look at it next the rolling thunder. Super thick.

B9C3E7F6-9F04-446F-BC88-B7F3D04921C3.jpeg

BCEE5B8F-310E-420E-B414-334395503212.jpeg