Pop or snap in elbow

karkkan

Hi.

I tried arm wrestling for the first time thursday last week and with a real table and people who have compete in arm wrestling. We took it slow and easy, just so I get a feel for the movement.

We tried the "wrist on wrist movement, and I think I may have push instead och pulling, I got a loud pop or bang sound, in the elbow. No pain and swelling. I did some gym workout, bench, pullups, row biceps curl. and no bad pain from those exercise, the only time I got pain are from hook moment and top roll, I try to rehab with easy resistance band.

So any of you have an idea what cause the pain?

You moved in manner likely never done before, this moved a tendon or ligament in a way never moved and probably made a sound as it rolled out of place and then back into place. If clicks or pops happen but there's no acute pain or pain during movement, then there's no issue. 

Thanks.

I have minor pain when doing light arm wrestling movement with resistance band.

It sounded like Bubble Wrap pop. Maybe there are some fluid or gas that make the sound. like if you crack or poop your fingers.

I hope rest and some light rehab band exercise would help.

Just be cafeful..  I was moving something at work a 6 years back, POP, little pain but in construction you get hurt all the time... I thought nothing of it... An hour later I was carrying plywood up stairs and it popped again, this time very very loud and very very painful, swelled up and everything... Took at least 2 years to heal.   My a-hole dad and brother shamed me into going to work the next day, instead of icing it.and I know thats what caused it to take so long to heal, I kept re injuring it.. So just be careful.. Because of that injury, I treat my tendons and ligaments like they are gold. 

56 minutes ago, karkkan said:

Thanks.

I have minor pain when doing light arm wrestling movement with resistance band.

It sounded like Bubble Wrap pop. Maybe there are some fluid or gas that make the sound. like if you crack or poop your fingers.

I hope rest and some light rehab band exercise would help.

Just stay light and keep moving, then slow down your arm wrestling. It's so so difficult to not go max effort during practices but you have to find that balance and also have good training partners that aren't just trying to rip arms off. 

It still hurts a bit, but I thinks it´s getting better. If I out the arm and push against a wall it feels too, I hope i dont need a doctor have a look.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:12 PM, karkkan said:

Hi.

I tried arm wrestling for the first time thursday last week and with a real table and people who have compete in arm wrestling. We took it slow and easy, just so I get a feel for the movement.

We tried the "wrist on wrist movement, and I think I may have push instead och pulling, I got a loud pop or bang sound, in the elbow. No pain and swelling. I did some gym workout, bench, pullups, row biceps curl. and no bad pain from those exercise, the only time I got pain are from hook moment and top roll, I try to rehab with easy resistance band.

So any of you have an idea what cause the pain?

Most likely you have a micro tear in the common tendon flexors near the medial condyle. Possibly more localized to the round pronator tendon. The structure of tendons and ligaments is such (and not only in this place) that some fibers in them are under load only at certain angles in the joints and certain directions of loads. In other corners, other fibers are loaded. Therefore, pain can occur only with a load that repeats the one that was at the time of the injury. With a microtear, there may well be no noticeable edema or hemorrhage. The doctor will not advise you anything except ointments with diclofenac and similar substances. You need to forget about armwrestling for at least half a year. If you do exercises that partially repeat the traumatic, with loads of 2-5 kg(gradually increasing), then you will reduce this interval by half ... But you need to have knowledge about the specifics of performing rehabilitation exercises, the selection of loads in them and the options for their individualization....
There are also drugs that can significantly speed up healing, and these are not steroids. But I'm not sure, that I don't get banned if I voice them. 

It feels in the area in the black circle, on the muscle and also deeper inside, I tried a little harder resistance band, and at some angle it felt almost like knife inside the elbow. hurts for like 5 seconds, Moving a moving nerve?

Thanks for the great reply. To bad It was my second time I tried arm wrestling. But maybe I can try left arm, or does it put stress on the right arm too when holding the peg?

Light resistance band 2x 50 reps seems not do it worse so, other than pump.

da4883dc2e3102cfac720b7b36f06242.jpg

1 hour ago, karkkan said:

The most frequently injured structures are located inside the circle. What I wrote is either a tendon near the condyle or a separate tendon of some muscle. More precisely, it can be said only after the tomography. But what you say about the symptoms or manifestations is 90% - the tendon microtear. A tear in the medial ligament of the elbow would be felt in a different place and with other loads (including more varied ones), and a muscle tear would be accompanied by edema and hemorrhage (in case of damage to the fascia) ... 

If your insurance covers the tamography, then you can do it. But this knowledge will not give you anything. Such injuries are treated without surgery. Anti-inflammatory therapy at the first stage - even now it is not too late, since the inflammation damages the already injured structures. Then rehabilitation loads in order to improve microcirculation and "turn on" previously inactive fibers in the tendon ... 

At least a few injections of meloxicam, and then large doses of glucosamine, chondroitin, sulfur + gelatin (collagen). 

You must understand that there is a predisposition to such injuries. This is not only a consequence of the fact that your hands are not ready for a serious fight. The smart will draw conclusions, and if he wants to fight, he will begin to prepare his hands for this seriously, except for the recovery of the injured one. And the foolish one will tear off his other hand as well. Most armwrestlers have this happened more than once. But at the start stage, the chance of getting a serious gap is much greater. If a significant part of the tendon or the entire condyle is torn off, then without serious surgery (and maybe with it) you will play chess and with only one hand ... 

1 hour ago, karkkan said:

Light resistance band 2x 50 reps seems not do it worse so, other than pump.

This pump will speed up  recovery processes as much as possible. Try to pick up the load that is as similar as possible to the one that was before the injury. But remember that it is not the load as such that is important, but the increase in blood flow and the inclusion of new fibers in the muscles and next to the damaged ones in the tendons. When after a couple of weeks you feel that you can load more - very slowly and carefully try it. I had such injuries like this, and I could do all movements not associated with side pressure with any weights - and they accelerated recovery, but with a living person it is impossible to not use this region. 

• 1 year later...

One year later. I have no pain in the area. I can do all the top roll, hook movement. I have done around 16 table time practice from my first practice and this first post. It still feels like I dont know how to out all movements together. it´s a really different kind of sport.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just had something similar happen to me. I’m a teacher and I was horsing around with one of my students at school. He was showing me how to arm wrestle, and I assumed we were more or less matched in strength. 
I probably should have considered the fact that he arm wrestles occasionally, and must have some sort of specific strength/tendon/ligament adaptations (I’m a average 2-3 times a week workout kinda guy). 
Anyhow, one thing led to another, and I heard what can only be described as bubble wrap popping while I attempted to 1rm this arm wrestling match…. I know, I know… I shouldn’t have done that. 
I’m in some pain right now.  Not too bad, but definitely feeling a bit weak, shaky, and dumb. 
I think I might rest my arms, and practice some light blood flow work for a few weeks.

When I get back to training, and perhaps arm wrestling 🙃, anyone have any tips on building more bulletproof elbows. Specifically the medial portion? 

thanks 

Nate