Standard Unobtainium vs HG500

stranger

Got my new paperweight in the mail today and holy cow! This this is a monster! Tried to chest crush and it barely budged. 

IMG_20210930_201703_619.jpg

IMG_20210930_201703_680.jpg

IMG_20210930_201703_703.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 4:34 AM, stranger said:

Got my new paperweight in the mail today and holy cow! This this is a monster! Tried to chest crush and it barely budged. 

IMG_20210930_201703_619.jpg

IMG_20210930_201703_680.jpg

IMG_20210930_201703_703.jpg

It's massive! Didn't realize the spring was so big 😮

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2021 at 1:45 PM, SkyHeart said:

I've been wondering the Rating of a Heavygrip 500 but can't figure it out for the life of me xD

They tend to be around a 3.5 or slightly higher, so in the neighborhood of 180 RGC. The spring is large, but the handles are longer so that decreases the difficulty. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:45 PM, SkyHeart said:

I've been wondering the Rating of a Heavygrip 500 but can't figure it out for the life of me xD

We had Bone Crusher 400 and 500 come through our Used Gripper section recently and both rated 200.  (It's the same gripper as the Heavy Grips counterpart). The 400 had a smaller spring, but also a much tighter coil and that allowed them to rate the same. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Climber028 said:

..but the handles are longer so that decreases the difficulty. 

Agree, longer decreases difficulty.  But they are also much thicker and that increases the difficulty in the hand a ton even if it doesn't show in the rating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Agree, longer decreases difficulty.  But they are also much thicker and that increases the difficulty in the hand a ton even if it doesn't show in the rating. 

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing those on your website. i was a little surprised at first, then noticed the little things that make the grippers as difficult as one another. Even now, the way springs and grippers can work in different / similar ways leaves me intrigued 

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Sure, there's also the last bit missing the knurling which is tough on the pinky. I also think it depends on hand size too because I bet this would feel great for Brian Shaw compared to a normal gripper. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So what's the rating of the Unobtainium gripper? At least 300lbs right? 400?

14 minutes ago, LABZSTS said:

So what's the rating of the Unobtainium gripper? At least 300lbs right? 400?

It’s not rated and also can’t really be rated. Given the size of the whole thing the resulting number wouldn’t even mean the same thing as regular ratings. It would just be a different crazy rating. Closing it with a hydraulic press or something would probably smoosh the aluminum handles. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

It’s not rated and also can’t really be rated. Given the size of the whole thing the resulting number wouldn’t even mean the same thing as regular ratings. It would just be a different crazy rating. Closing it with a hydraulic press or something would probably smoosh the aluminum handles. 

So you're saying me and a few fat guys couldn't sit on it to close it? Lol that should be a new rating for people in the community, although it wouldn't be possible.

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

It’s way over 400 pounds. Way way. 

My first guess would have been 500 but the more I think about it, the closer to half a ton it seems. You'd probably have to place it under a ramp and new tool, then drive a car over it until it closes. It'd still have its knurling stripped, but I'd just put a towel over it. It might work. I'd pay to see the rating for it if the car idea works.

1 minute ago, LABZSTS said:

I'd pay to see the rating for it if the car idea works.

The rating number and the process of using the car. The question is eating me alive tbh

It's not about having a car or heavier object, it's that the steel spring is stronger than the aluminum handles, and forcing it to a full close would likely bend the handles so you would never know. You would ha e to mount the spring in similarly sized handles made of steel to get a real idea but it's likely so high it wouldn't even mean anything. 

I agree with LABZSTS. Regardless of how absurd the rating process would be, it would still be interesting to attempt a rating. I love numbers. I'd be just as fascinated to know the poundage rating of a hypothetical 1 lb gripper as I would a 10,000 lb gripper. Perhaps an experiment for someone crazy enough to attempt it one day, though the experiment may not even be possible given all of the variables.

My guess would be nothing short of 1000lbs, minimum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jared P said:

I agree with LABZSTS. Regardless of how absurd the rating process would be, it would still be interesting to attempt a rating. I love numbers. I'd be just as fascinated to know the poundage rating of a hypothetical 1 lb gripper as I would a 10,000 lb gripper. Perhaps an experiment for someone crazy enough to attempt it one day, though the experiment may not even be possible given all of the variables.

My guess would be nothing short of 1000lbs, minimum.

Thank you. At least someone else agrees and wants to know the true rating. If I had the time and resources, I'd spend it all on finding the rating. I also agree with the hypothetical rating of 1000 being the minimum

• Like 1

All I know is that I have one, and it looks and feels many orders of magnitude harder than say, a GHP 10. It's off the scale. The sheer size of the steel spring boggles the mind, and dwarfs any other gripper. I just tested it out - if the handle diameters were a few more millimeters smaller, an entire closed CoC gripper could fit through the center of the Unobtainium spring coil.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jared P said:

All I know is that I have one, and it looks and feels many orders of magnitude harder than say, a GHP 10. It's off the scale. The sheer size of the steel spring boggles the mind, and dwarfs any other gripper. I just tested it out - if the handle diameters were a few more millimeters smaller, an entire closed CoC gripper could fit through the center of the Unobtainium spring coil.

Through the coil?!? That's an unimaginable size! In terms of scale, how much bigger is the Unobtainium to say, a coc 1? Like 10 times the size? Cause then we could get an estimate to the coil  tension with math. Idk how to do that tho. 

On the product page it is pictured with a Standard Tungsten which is essentially the same size as #4

image.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LABZSTS said:

Cause then we could get an estimate to the coil  tension with math. Idk how to do that tho. 

Someone did do that and got like 1600 lbs I believe. I can’t vouch that they did it correctly. But it’s all just for fun anyway :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Someone did do that and got like 1600 lbs I believe. I can’t vouch that they did it correctly. But it’s all just for fun anyway :) 

Now that's some power. I wanna close it so bad