Training Log (Zach Mullins)

ZRMMA

39 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Very strong work here! Just curious why do you think your thin pinch is so strong vs axle? Your still a beast on the axle but that 2" saxon lift is getting close to elite. Also the flask lift is better than the axle. I know you were "taking it easy" on the axle but even still very strong on the thin pinch 💪

I’ll try to hit all these points the best I can. 
•The axle- overall I’m honestly not that great or Strong of a deadlifter. It has never felt natural and I almost feel the way my body is designed that I’m not built the best for the deadlift in general. Deadlifting on and off for about 17years.. it’s still a work in progress and I’m still trying to fix or build up weaknesses and find a way to stay healthy and make it more comfortable. I’ve had some back/disc issues starting around 2009/2010 sometimes how my back feels is the limiting factor. I’ve recently pulled a pretty easy 335 and with a lot of these lifts I don’t go till failure .. there is often some left in the tank. I would love to push my axle up to 400+ but I believe my hands would be way ahead of my (back, hips, legs, etc.) this lift is one that I have been working at but I’ve been very conservative and patient making slow progress. 

•Saxon- for all attachments and grip lifts across the board I’m pretty strong at them all I don’t really have a big weakness. I’m pretty well rounded but pinch has kinda pulled ahead and become one of my biggest strengths. My hands aren’t really that big (maybe longer fingers or bigger hand would help the thickbar??) my wide pinch for my hand size is very strong. I attribute this to the amount of blob lifting I’ve done. My wide pinch was better than narrow but as of late the narrow pinch has started to catch up. So when it comes to Saxon 2”/3”, pinch block,flask, blob lifting… for only doing this for a year I can pretty much hang with just about anyone and with more time and training I feel I have some big lifts ahead. 

• Thanks 1

1-7-2022

warm up (Finnish Ball- 40x1, 50x1, 60x1, 70x1, 72.5x1, 76x1 (Left hand only)

1. Military- 120x3, 135x3, 155x7

2. Little Bighorn- right side didn’t feel too great today but Left hand bascially high pulled 193x1, then topped out at 208x1

3. 64lb Hub Lift 

Feeling pretty sore and beat up from the past week of training. Today had some good moments but really was forced. Looking forward to recovering. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ZRMMA said:

1-7-2022

warm up (Finnish Ball- 40x1, 50x1, 60x1, 70x1, 72.5x1, 76x1 (Left hand only)

1. Military- 120x3, 135x3, 155x7

2. Little Bighorn- right side didn’t feel too great today but Left hand bascially high pulled 193x1, then topped out at 208x1

3. 64lb Hub Lift 

Feeling pretty sore and beat up from the past week of training. Today had some good moments but really was forced. Looking forward to recovering. 

Strong hub lift!

1-10-2022

1. Bench- 185x5, 210x5, 240x3, 265x5

2. Skull Crushers w/ 10presses after- 3x10

3. 3” Saxon Bar- 135x1, 155x1, 175x1, 205x1 (just got this bar and wanted to test it out.. this is Arm Assassins version which is being used for Armlifting USA at the Arnold Classic)

4. 2Hand Flask- 183x1, 203x1 

5. some other pinching lifts/plates and accessory movements to finish things off.

• did manage to pull 2x20kg plates w/ 5lbs added. 

• Like 4

1-12-2022

1. Axle Double Overhand- 185x5, 235x1, 265x1, 300x1, 315x1, 340x1 long hold at the top.

2. Inch DB- assisted lifts with a set of short straps (they don’t wrap completely around the handle once) keeps this very hand and grip focused. Strap is slightly helping but the grip and hand still holding most of the weight. Has been great for more volume.

3. One Hand Nightmare 2 7/8”- worked up to 150lbs (right hand) think left fell off around 130 on this one.

4. Lat Pulldowns (w/ Fat Grips)- 5x15

5. Reverse Hyper- 4x15 @155lbs

Bonus Lifts…

•69lb Hub Lift

•Double Hub lift with Elitefts Deep Dish plates

•50lb York Blob with thumb/2fingers

• Like 5

150 on that 2 7/8 NN is really strong dude. I have the loadable db one from arm assassin and it's like a hybrid pinch/thick bar lift for me lol. I always wondered how much carryover someone could get from the 2 7/8 to the 2 3/8 RGT/RT type of handles? Also I trust no medial thigh support was used in the execution of that lift!  😂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

150 on that 2 7/8 NN is really strong dude. I have the loadable db one from arm assassin and it's like a hybrid pinch/thick bar lift for me lol. I always wondered how much carryover someone could get from the 2 7/8 to the 2 3/8 RGT/RT type of handles? Also I trust no medial thigh support was used in the execution of that lift!  😂

• with the feb 5th World Wide Grip/No Excuses competition having a 3” trilobite  I mainly wanted to just get my hand used to the width and feel. I realize the trilobite moves a little more freely and is slicker… 

• As far as training different widths/diameters.. it is crazy how much a quarter inch difference can make. Depending on person, handsize, and their strengths.. that quarter inch could be weight flying off the floor or appearing glued to the floor. I personally like to vary up those widths in pinching or diameters for rolling handle/thickbar, I think it’s important to be well rounded and test multiple positions. I really think that building strength in a variety of positions can only be a positive and depending on how it’s done the different ranges/variations can compliment and help build each other up or have carry over into other lifts.

• now onto my favorite part of this.. THE MEDIAL THIGH!!! Haha yeah there was no bracing on any part of my thigh and yes the lift was pulled completely to lockout not skipped a half inch off the floor. The Medial Thigh is now a joke that I hope will stay alive in the grip world. Even if I’m the only one making it lol. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ZRMMA said:

• with the feb 5th World Wide Grip/No Excuses competition having a 3” trilobite  I mainly wanted to just get my hand used to the width and feel. I realize the trilobite moves a little more freely and is slicker… 

• As far as training different widths/diameters.. it is crazy how much a quarter inch difference can make. Depending on person, handsize, and their strengths.. that quarter inch could be weight flying off the floor or appearing glued to the floor. I personally like to vary up those widths in pinching or diameters for rolling handle/thickbar, I think it’s important to be well rounded and test multiple positions. I really think that building strength in a variety of positions can only be a positive and depending on how it’s done the different ranges/variations can compliment and help build each other up or have carry over into other lifts.

• now onto my favorite part of this.. THE MEDIAL THIGH!!! Haha yeah there was no bracing on any part of my thigh and yes the lift was pulled completely to lockout not skipped a half inch off the floor. The Medial Thigh is now a joke that I hope will stay alive in the grip world. Even if I’m the only one making it lol. 

Nice good to see you're participating in the No Excuses meet. Are you any good at the Finnish Ball? How does it feel like a key pinch or something? 

Agree on variation in widths & diamenters. I need to switch it up a bit more on thick bar.

Yeah that medial thigh was something haha. What gets me about that situation is if Jedd msg'd me about a lift I posted and gave me advice and feedback I'd be honoured not offended lol. Lately there has been a number of new people here who are disrespectful and come in like know-it-alls. I kept my mouth shut but it bothers me because without all of the archieved threads here and the yt vids by guys like Jedd & Paul Knight etc I'd have next to nothing to go off to get to that next level in grip strength. I'll always be greatfull for the Hubgeezers, Chris Rice, Michael Thomas, Tommy J, Adam, Tanner, Ben Edwards, Chez, Bader etc. if you ever nerd out and go through all of the old threads their is a ton of great information for anybody looking to step their game up imo. 

• Like 2

1-14-2022

1. Military- 125x5, 145x3, 160x1 (tired from week probably could hit 5-6 but just hit the single)

2. Little Bighorn- 210lbs (left hand) 

also pulled on the Rogue Anvil topped out around 203lbs there. 

3. Blobs- plenty of lighter weight pulls and warmups. Pulled off one of my best lifts to date. The 120 Legacy with 2.5lbs added to it. (Came out to 60.9lbs) 

4. Finnish Ball/Hub- grip was mostly fried already but still worked up to 70lbs on both. Then dropped it back down to 60lbs on both. And did 10reps per hand (so at 60lbs Hub- 10L/10R… then 60lbs Finnish Ball- 10L/10R.)

5. Finished up with some very narrow plate pinching that was assisted by bands. Used Rogue Calibrated steel plates (45lbs.. very narrow but I want to pinch these and use them to train for a 2x55lb plate pinch). 

• Like 6

1-17-2022

Warm Up-(Banded Pull Aparts- 3x20/ 3x 1min plank)

1. Bench-(Tricep Death)- worked up to 2sets of 20 at 185lbs. 5reps each from the chest, 2board, 3board, 4board for a total of 20reps.

2. Fatman Rows(w/ Axle)- 4x10

3. Wide Pushups- 5x10

4. Plate Pinching- warmed up on some 35’s. Hit some reps with the 2x44’s and managed to lift a pair of 45’s (York Milled ) Plates. This is the first time I’ve lifted this pair.

5. 2Hand Flask- 185x1, 207x1, 217x1

6. Blobs- •Lifted my 53.4lb Fatman blob and got some Air Under the Red Pill(second week in a row on this)

Blob Ladder
95- 48+lbs
100 Next Gen- 50+lbs
100 Fatman- 53+lbs
110 Legacy- 53lbs
120 Legacy- 58+ (Miss.. grip dead)

I ran this Medley two times back to back.. only failing the 120 Legacy.

Then lifted the 110 Legacy- 53.3lbs x 9 Reps In 1minute. 

Edited by ZRMMA
  • Like 5

217 is insane on the flask! Nice work on the red pill also, might take some time to get a clean lift but very few men can say they've done it. 

• Thanks 1

1-19-2022

warm up- Banded Pull Throughs-4x10

1. Axle Deficit Deadlift- 5x5 at 135lbs

2. 1 Arm Axle Deadlift- up to 185lbs

3. One Hand Nightmare 2 7/8”- left hand up to 135ish. Right hand hit 155lbs.

4. Did a lot of assisted reps with the Inch Dumbbell and some regular lifts with my 142lb Bell. 

• Like 4

1-24-2022

1. Bench (Fat Bar)- worked up to 275(bar weight) + 36lbs Chain… 311 at the top for 1 rep.

2. Weighted Pushups (45lbs)- 30,15

3. DB Rows- 90x8, 90x8, 120x8

4. Banded Tricep Pushdowns- 2x50

5. Ab Wheel- 3x10 / Leg Lifts- 3x10

• Like 4

1-28-2022

1. Seated Military(Cambered Bar)- Speed Work 115lbs 8x3

2. Farmer Walks- 115lbs Each Hand for .25mi (Total Distance)

3. Sledgehammer (10lb)/ Tire- 200 total Swings (100downward)/(100side chops)

AC1AEED9-7F55-45BA-B136-F8E4A0C67384.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice variety! I was thinking you would do great at walking for distance while hubbing 45’s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Nice variety! I was thinking you would do great at walking for distance while hubbing 45’s.

I can give that a shot one of these days. 

• Like 2

1-31-2022

1. Bench (2Board)- 275x1, 295x1, 315x1, 205x15

2. Banded Push-ups (Chaos Push-ups)- 3sets (20,10,13)

3. Chest Flys- 3x20

4. Gritter Rows- 3x10(each arm)

5. Curls- 4x20

6. Hanging Leg Raises- 5x10

AABA3529-49DA-43E8-90B4-ACECB0D224DD.jpeg

Edited by ZRMMA
  • Like 5

2-2-2022

1. (SS Yoke Bar) Box Squat- 225x1, 245x1, 265x1, 285x1, 305x1

2. Belt Squat March- (100lbs attached to belt/ holding 56lb Aqua Bag) 3rds x 1min

3. Banded Hamstring Curls- 5x10

4. Single Leg Ext- 3x10(each leg)

5. Reverse Hyper- 2x15 @155lbs 

• Like 3

2-7-2022

1. Floor Press- 205x1, 225x1, 275x1, 175x17

2. Single Arm DB Bench- (60lb) 3x10

3. Banded Pull Aparts- 4x20

4. Single Arm Pulldown- (RGT Handle) 4x10 each arm

5. Tricep Pushdowns- 3x15

6. Ab Wheel- 3x10

• Like 4

2-9-2022

warm up- seated abs w/ pulley cable 4x10, Reverse Hypers 4x10

Pulled Axle Double Overhand today with chains. The weights listed are (Bar Weight/weight at the top) .. even though the initial weight at the start of the pull is about 20lbs heavier than “Bar weight”

1. Axle Double Overhand- (195/267)x1, (215/287)x1, (235/307)x1, (260/332)x1, (280/352)x1

2. 3” Saxon Bar- 175x1, 185x1, 214x1

3. Single Leg RDL w/ 18lb Kettbell- 3x10 each leg

4. Goblet Box Squat w/ 36lb Kettlebell- 3x10

Messed around with some random feats

• did 45lb Hub Transfer + Curl

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ZRMMA said:

2-9-2022

warm up- seated abs w/ pulley cable 4x10, Reverse Hypers 4x10

Pulled Axle Double Overhand today with chains. The weights listed are (Bar Weight/weight at the top) .. even though the initial weight at the start of the pull is about 20lbs heavier than “Bar weight”

1. Axle Double Overhand- (195/267)x1, (215/287)x1, (235/307)x1, (260/332)x1, (280/352)x1

2. 3” Saxon Bar- 175x1, 185x1, 214x1

3. Single Leg RDL w/ 18lb Kettbell- 3x10 each leg

4. Goblet Box Squat w/ 36lb Kettlebell- 3x10

Messed around with some random feats

• did 45lb Hub Transfer + Curl

214 is very impressive on that saxon bar! Almost 100kg or 2 plates. 

Interesting idea of using the axle with chains. I've contemplated starting a thread before to see if any gripsters use accomadationg resistance to grip lifts. I know Juha has videos using bands & chains. It makes sense to me because as you get closer to lockout with grip it really starts to go when you're using near max weights. So the chains could make the lift very hard in the most challenging positions. 

1 minute ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

214 is very impressive on that saxon bar! Almost 100kg or 2 plates. 

Interesting idea of using the axle with chains. I've contemplated starting a thread before to see if any gripsters use accomadationg resistance to grip lifts. I know Juha has videos using bands & chains. It makes sense to me because as you get closer to lockout with grip it really starts to go when you're using near max weights. So the chains could make the lift very hard in the most challenging positions. 

It definitely depends on the style of lift. But for the most part I’m a fan and will use/mix it in. I definitely like bands and chains etc and they will always have a place in my programming but it has to make sense. Although I’m not a powerlifter I have trained with many of them and powerlifting has always had a huge influence on my strength training(being from Ohio it probably should right?). 
Conjugate, accommodating resistance, working different ranges of motion(partial/deficit, or for grip changing loading pin height etc.) I like to use all kinds of tools and methods to train more effectively and I’ve almost always kept an open mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZRMMA said:

It definitely depends on the style of lift. But for the most part I’m a fan and will use/mix it in. I definitely like bands and chains etc and they will always have a place in my programming but it has to make sense. Although I’m not a powerlifter I have trained with many of them and powerlifting has always had a huge influence on my strength training(being from Ohio it probably should right?). 
Conjugate, accommodating resistance, working different ranges of motion(partial/deficit, or for grip changing loading pin height etc.) I like to use all kinds of tools and methods to train more effectively and I’ve almost always kept an open mind.

Cool man I didn't realize you were from Ohio. That state is dumb strong lol. Growing up I kind of idolized alot of the freak show powerlifters that came from that state! Is it alot more humid in NC or similar to Ohio? I was thinking this could have an effect on grip. 

I never used much accomadating resistance either because I was a raw lifter. I did have success using reverse bands on bench press and occasionally chains on deadlifts(seemed to help with speed). My mentor was a multi ply guy though so he swore by alot of those methods. 

• Like 1