2022 Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship IV

Donc101

2022 Michigan Steel Bending and Breaking Championship IV

·             Date: Saturday, May 14, 2022

·             Arrive at 9 a.m.  Bending starts at 10:00 a.m. 

·             Venue: 987 Madison, Birmingham, MI

·             $40 entry fee

·             Message Don Cummings (@donc101) if you are interested in coming

·             Deadline for registering: March 25, 2022 (We need to know as soon as possible who is coming as we are ordering steel from overseas)

·             Reverse Strongman scoring will be used for all events

·             There will be recognition for 1st through 3rd for: Steel Bending and Breaking Champion (all events scoring considered), Unbraced Bending Champion (events 1-3), Braced Bending Champion (events 4-6), Medley Winner, Women’s Division Champion and Grappler Champion.

·             Each section (Unbraced, Braced and Medley) will be weighted equally for the overall title.   

·             There will be a Women’s Division.

·             Grappler Division: Need to have a substantial grappling background and be a consistent/ current grappler.  Cody, Amir and Chris S. are people that come to mind that would be able to be in this division. Let me know if you wish to be a part of this division and what your grappling background is.

·             Trophies for Overall 1st-3rd, Women’s Division 1st-3rd and Grappler’s Division 1st

·             Flesher/ Donati Rule: If there is a tie in the overall standings, that place will be decided by a lying snap off. Who can snap a blue nail the fastest.

·             1 mulligan total for events 2-3.  1 mulligan total for events 4-6.  If an athlete fails to score on a bar, they can attempt an easier piece of steel. Only if steel is available.

Unbraced Bending

1.    Double Overhand Bending:

·         3:00 minute time limit.

·         Iron Mind Pads to be used.

·         2 attempts.

·         Bar bent to 2” to be completed.

·         Partial bends score and beat a full bend of a weaker bar.

·         Must be bent to at least 5” to score.

·         Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·         Bars available: Iron Grip Cert rated steel

2.    Reverse Bending:

·            1:00 time limit.

·            1 attempt

·            Single pads. Reasonable leather pads can be used.

·            Bar bent to 40 degrees to be completed.

·            Partial bends score and beat a full bend of a weaker bar.

·            Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·            Bars available: White Nail, Yellow Nail, Blue Nail, DHWOG 166kg Grade 5 Bolt, GBI 120 bar, GBI 130 bar, GBI 140 bar

3.    Double Underhand Bending:

·         1:00 minute time limit.

·         1 attempt.

·         Double pads allowed (1 set of IMP and 1 set of a reasonable sized leather pad).

·         Bar bent to 40 degrees to be completed.

·         Partial bends score and beat a full bend of a weaker bar.

·         Hardest bar bent wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  

·         Bars available: White Nail, Yellow Nail, Blue Nail, DHWOG 166kg Grade 5 Bolt, DHWOG 190kg Grade 8 Bolt, DHWOG 225kg 6” x 8mm CRS.

Braced Bending

1.    Long Bar Bending

·         5:00 time limit.

·         Single DHWOG wraps.

·         Towel for knee/leg.

·          A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a "u" shape and the legs are parallel to each other.

·         1 attempt.

·         Thicker bar beats shorter, bend of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster bend of same diameter and length wins.  

·         A partial bend beats a completed bend of an easier bar.  If multiple partial bends on the same bar, the bar bent the furthest wins.   Must be at least a 20-degree kink to score. 

·         Steel: A36 Hot Rolled Round.

·         Bars available: 3/4 x 40”, 3/4 x 44", 3/4 x 48", 5/8 x 32", 5/8 x 36", 5/8 x 48”, ½” x 31”, ½ x 35”

2.    Mid Length Bar Bending

·      3:00 time limit.

·      Single DHWOG wraps.

·      Towel for knee/leg.

·       A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a "u" shape and the legs are parallel to each other.

·      1 attempt.

·      Thicker bar beats shorter, bend of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster bend of same diameter and length wins.  

·      A partial bend beats a completed bend of an easier bar.  If multiple partial bends on the same bar, the bar bent the furthest wins. Must be at least a 20 degree kink to score. 

·      Steel: A36 Hot Rolled Round.

·      Bars available: 5/8 x 25", 5/8 x 28”, 5/8 x 30", 1/2 x 22", 1/2 x 26", ½ x 28”, 3/8 x 22”

3.    Short Bar Speed Bending

·         3:00 time limit.

·         Single DHWOG wraps. Can have all 3 bars pre-wrapped.

·         Towel for knee/leg.

·          A completed bend is when the bar has been bent into a 2” shape.

·         1 attempt.

·         Speed Bending 3 bars in a row.

·         Bars Available: 3/8 x 12” Spikes (medium difficulty spikes) or 5/16” x 12” HRS

Steel Bending and Snapping Medley

This event will be worth more points for the overall title as it really is many events wrapped into 1.  You pick which bend/ snap from each category that you want to do.  You have 25 minutes to complete all bends/ snaps.  The most points wins.  If there are ties, fastest time with the same number of points wins. Events:

1.    Horseshoe Bend: SCF UL #2: 2 points for a heart, 1 point for a bend past 180 degrees

2.    Braced Bend of a Short Bar: Double Pads (reasonable double pads allowed): 5 points for a Horrido 12.9 Bolt, 3 points for a Gold Nail, 1 points for a Red Nail, 1/2  point for a Grade 5 Bolt

3.    Unbraced Bend of a Bar: In One Single IMP: bar rolled down the middle. 5 points for a Horrido A2 Bolt, 3 points for a DHWOG 166kg Grade 5 Bolt, 1 point for a Blue Nail, ½ point for a White Nail

4.    Braced Bend/ Scroll of a ½” x 48” Bar. 1 set of pads allowed. Floor may be used as is standard in scrolling: 5 points for a double fish scroll, 4 points for a double loop scroll, 2 points for a fish scroll and 1 point for a regular bend. Must be a reasonably neat scroll and in the specific shape.  No ultra-sloppy bends that are deformed from the intended shape.

5.    Braced Steel Snap: 60d Nails: DHWOG single pads, can only have 1 nail pre-wrapped:  1 point for each snap up to 5 snaps

6.    Unbraced Steel Snapping: DHWOG Oval Nails: One DHWOG pad: 1 point for each snap up to 5 snaps

* Once the medley starts, no one can assist you with wrapping or handling your steel. You are the only one allowed to touch the steel.

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

EVENTS

1.    Double Overhand

2.    Reverse

3.    Double Underhand

4.    Braced #1

5.    Braced #2

6.    Braced #3

7.    Medley: see prior years for examples

I will figure out rules, steel to be used, etc down the road a bit, but this is the general event map. Need to be good at all types of bending and snapping. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just updated the events and rules at the top of this thread. Please check it out and let me know if you are thinking about coming.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am getting ready to order some steel from overseas for the May bending contest. Please let me know if you are in so I know how much to order. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking like we will have a big turnout.  As of now, this is the lineup:

Don Cummings

Michael Rogowski

Tom Flesher

Carl Donati

Amir Bayour

Gary Stuart

Chris Stilwell

John Mouser

Travis Krebs

London Schuirmann

Michael Dimitrieski

Devin Hoover

Shane Mathison

Hannah Jennings

Bree Stilwell

Carl @Buccos1you are in right?

This is going to be a fun event!

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Looking like we will have a big turnout.  As of now, this is the lineup:

Don Cummings

Michael Rogowski

Tom Flesher

Carl Donati

Amir Bayour

Gary Stuart

Chris Stilwell

Darrin Shallman

John Mouser

Travis Krebs

London Schuirmann

Michael Dimitrieski

Devin Hoover

Shane Mathison

Hannah Jennings

Bree Stilwell

Carl @Buccos1you are in right?

This is going to be a fun event!

Don, I'm planning on it.  Might be the last one, or maybe not.  Funny that I've been feeling pretty decent the past few months.  Have backed-off on bending to try and "heal" a little the past couple of months too.  Wonder if there is any correlation?  LOL 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Don, I'm planning on it.  Might be the last one, or maybe not.  Funny that I've been feeling pretty decent the past few months.  Have backed-off on bending to try and "heal" a little the past couple of months too.  Wonder if there is any correlation?  LOL 

Good news! It would not be a bending comp in the US without you!

• Like 1

The Michigan Steel Bending & Breaking Championship will have a Grapplers Division this year. Recognition for athletes who divide their time between two grueling sports. Amir @rollstoohard was the highest placer in last year’s comp who is in the Grapplers Division. Is he the favorite? Lots of strong competition. Right now, we have Amir and Mike @miked4c who do BJJ at Assembly Assembly Jiu-Jitsu], Chris @meliora_chris who does BJJ and Judo and “The Viking” John Mouser @mouserstrength who does sumo wrestling at Appalachian Sumo and has also done catch wrestling, BJJ and professional wrestling. Will any of the other beasts at Assembly Jiu-Jitsu] join in? Maybe @jiujitsudrengr or @graybeardgrappler? Maybe BJJ brown belt @codyc518 will join?

C3DEB574-A63B-463A-B466-BE7E71ED24BB.jpeg

Official Comp poster is in. Honoring our steel bending brother, Bud Jeffries. Bud is holding 2 big bends he did. 7/8” A36 round, which is a beast of a bend. I think the other bar is a Goliath. If you would like a copy of the poster image, I can email it to you.

85600D1E-6D06-4F16-B586-DD0C2E2186E4.jpeg

• Like 2

Mailman just delivered a 48 lb and 5 oz package from Nate Brous! Unbelievable care package for the Michigan Steel Bending & Breaking Champs. Thanks so much my friend. #michigansteelbendingandbreaking #steelbending

2CFDDA47-729D-4D27-88FA-E696D865CBAC.jpeg

57DCFC0D-54F6-4590-AA75-2EDC784386B2.jpeg

58D87257-3980-4CDC-93D2-E6B5C7031130.jpeg

E78BDDCB-D9BC-4118-B389-7ECCA6853993.jpeg

• Like 1

Top post edited with steel to be used for reverse and DU

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is just about 1 month away! We are going to have a great comp this year!

Please PayPal me the entry fee if you have not and let me know what steel you would like to use for the 3 braced bending events and each medley bend.

Good luck in your training!

Don

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Final lineup:

Don Cummings

Michael Rogowski

Tom Flesher

Carl Donati

Amir Bayour: Grappler’s Division

Gary Stuart

Chris Stilwell: Grappler’s Division

John Mouser: Grappler’s Division

London Schuirmann

Michael Dimitrieski: Grappler’s Division

Shane Mathison

Hannah Jennings: Women’s Division

Bree Stilwell: Women’s Division

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

MI Steel Bending Champs is Saturday! Great prizes because of Nate Brous and Josh Henze. The Slim the Hammer Man Award goes to the most improved bender who will receive this spectacular trophy made by Josh. The trophy is 22 inches tall. That person will also receive an $87 gift certificate to Fat Bastard Barbell Company for steel. Lots of other steel and bending supplies will be handed out too. Thanks Nate and Josh! #steelbending #michigansteelbendingandbreaking

17D664B4-7950-4EE5-A361-6E02E858B29B.jpeg

• Like 3

When is everyone getting in? Please reach out if anyone wants to grab a beer Friday. I usually hit the local breweries in whatever town I’m in and will probably have dinner at Hazel’s, a seafood restaurant not too far from Don’s.

Easiest to catch me on Instagram or Facebook messenger. 

Edited by Tom Flesher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

When is everyone getting in? Please reach out if anyone wants to grab a beer Friday. I usually hit the local breweries in whatever town I’m in and will probably have dinner at Hazel’s, a seafood restaurant not too far from Don’s.

Easiest to catch me on Instagram or Facebook messenger. 

I will just be hanging at my house Friday evening and anyone is free to stop by and hang out, say hi or have a beer.

• Like 1

Michigan Steel Bending & Breaking Championship tomorrow! Who will get their names on the back of this shield by placing tomorrow? Who will be the first Grappler Champion? Benders arrive at 9. Competition starts at 10. Anyone is more than welcome to stop by and watch. Will be a great time! #steelbending #michigansteelbendingandbreaking

90A7884B-DE81-4D2A-AC5B-5369351B8D29.jpeg

• Like 1

A living history.  Very cool idea.

• Like 2

Flesher-Donati rule was needed yesterday! Tom Flesher @tomcrusher and Michael Rogowski  @homegymhero tied for 3rd and did a lying snap off to determine the place. Rogowski won with an impressive and aggressive snap! Here is the video:

9CF2E8EB-104E-4EF6-A311-F487DC55D243.jpeg

• Like 4

London @londonschuirmann won the Slim the Hammer Man Most Improved Award. Every time I see him he is getting much stronger. He is putting in the work necessary to be great. If he keeps it up, he will be on the podium next year. He finished 2nd in unbraced bending this year. He is very strong! Here is a video of the medley run that London was in:

86EDBA8B-15A8-4DA2-85A9-F884C081E9A0.jpeg

• Like 6

Hannah the Destroyer @hannahthedestroyer is a special athlete. She won the Women’s Division for the 2nd year in a row. She also destroyed this steel framing hammer for a record. Was awesome to see!

F8427ACE-14E5-4FAB-ADD5-700327312909.jpeg

• Like 6

Great video and looks like a great time. 

• Like 3

Overall Champion

1.    Don Cummings: 10 points

2.    Carl Donati: 31 points

3.    Michael Rogowski: 33 points (won lying nail snap off tie breaker)

4.    Tom Flesher: 33 points

5.    Amir Bayour: 50 points

6.    John Mouser: 53 points

7.    London Schuirmann: 58 points

8.    Chris Stilwell: 60 points

9.    Hannah Jennings: 82 points

9.   Mike Dimitrieski: 85 points

11. Bree Stilwell: 97 points

Women’s Division

1.    Hannah Jennings

2.    Bree Stilwell

Grappler’s Division