Larry Wheels and Big Loz close CoC#3 and do other grip training

stranger

Larry and Loz do some grippers, block pinch, hub, grip genie RGT and arm wrestling. 

Both pretty easily close the #3.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Videos long so here's around when they start each thing

Dynometer at 1:55

Grippers at 4:55

Pinch block at 10:50

Hub at 16:40

RGT at. 22:22

Arm wrestling at 27:45

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Man they killed the #3. Wheels closed it so easily he had to check he had the right number. 😂

Right? Kind of upset he didn't give the 3.5 a try 

21 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Would have been Kind of sad if they couldn’t close a number 3. Wouldn’t expect anything less. 

Last time I seen Larry mess with grippers he missed the #3 so I was kinda surprised. Guess he's been working on it though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Sullivan said:

He almost closed it the first time he tried. A few years ago. He’s been doing grip/arm wrestling stuff ever since then. Should be a piece of cake for him now.

I guess in the video he says he first picked them up at 16 and it took him a month to close the #3, training every other day. Said he got close to the #3.5. That would have been 2010-2011. Seems like he could have 10 years under his belt now (who knows what kind of frequency though). But all that ties out because it sure did look like a piece of cake 🍰 

• Like 2

So after watching the whole video it does seem evident that Big Loz is very in the know with regards to grip. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s a dedicated grip guy. But he seemed to know to a fairly accurate degree about where he would come in on all lifts except the dyno. He also appeared to know how to properly grip all the implements, unlike Larry. as was evident by how Larry gripped the hub. And then again when he was gripping the RGT and was not overly interested in using a false grip. Which would definitely be an opinion of an in the know grip guy as well. And at one point Loz even made reference to a coin lift implement he had. He also elaborated on how grippers did not translate over to anything, and said they are a specialized thing. Which is a common opinion (with exact wording) amongst us grip guys. He stated the 3 areas of grip properly at one point. Crush, pinch, and supporting grip. And also even mentioned wanting to pinch 2-45s as he and Larry were discussing what to do next.

that said, I’m actually pretty impressed that he was aware of all of those things. Given that his sport doesn’t require that degree of grip knowledge, knowing those things doesn’t happen by accident. or by someone who only dabbled with grip a time or two. So I actually would not be surprised if he tuned in here on the board at times studying, but just doesn’t post.

not at all suggesting that he keeps track of grip sport like many of us here do. But I also would not be surprised if he knew of all the top grip guys, and what many of the top lifts are with regards to weight.

which is really cool when you think about it! To me it is awesome that he has that level of knowledge of the sport!

Hell, one of the most avid grip guys in strongman is Felix. And Loz appeared to know even more than Felix has ever been vocal about with grip.

I guess at this point I’m sort of just rambling on.. I just had no idea there were any strongmen besides Felix, Shaw, and Martins that were even remotely interested in grip. So it’s somewhat exciting to me.

what can I say. I’m now a Big Loz fan!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Would have been Kind of sad if they couldn’t close a number 3. Wouldn’t expect anything less. 

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “sad”.. when like every single grip guy around here wants to jump up and down screaming about that time they outlifted a WSM competitor on a said grip implement… and as a result feel they have somehow debunked or discredited the term “WSM” because they outlifted one of them with a grip lift. Lol!

And it’s almost as if this community is especially smug towards strongmen with regards to grip, but not anyone else. If Devon Larratt can’t close a #3 or pull 200 on a RT, then it’s “well he’s an arm wrestler… and doesn’t train grip specifically. So it’s not sad if he can’t do it. But totally Is if this strongman (who also doesn’t specifically train grip) can’t.”  It actually makes zero sense to not apply the same logic across the board to all other strength sports if you ask me. Because you’d then at least be an equal opportunity hater. Lol!

example, a big random no name guy who shows up to a practice and lifts an inch or closes a #3, we all celebrate it and high five each other. Then when one of the strongmen does the same, it gets scoffed at by a large majority here. My question is, why?.. it seems so disingenuous.

Since I’m on it, I call BS! IMO, top level arm wrestlers, specifically, should be the FIRST non grip guys to get laughed at when they can’t do what we do on grip stuff. Because hand and wrist strength, specifically, is/are a huge part of their discipline/sport. Whereas grip in strongman isn’t. ….not even close, actually. when you use your noggin and realize that like nearly everything they grab and pull has a strap attached to it, anyways.

it must be a mental thing around here or something… almost as if because they are called “WSM”, many here like to mock them any time they get a chance. But the truth is, the term WSM was coined long before gripsport was ever really a thing. I guess I could understand the animosity if gripsport came before strongman… but I mean seriously, this smugness and wiener comparing by grip guys to strongmen started damn near day 1 with Thomas Inch himself. And apparently has never let up. And to be honest, Inch apparently didn’t have a stellar reputation due to his smugness.. do any of you want to be remembered the same way?..

at this point id actually love it if like all strongmen did little public rants about how grip guys can’t out deadlift them, can’t out overhead press them, can't out squat them, can’t out stone load them, can’t out farmers walk them, can’t out throw them, can’t out truck pull them, can’t out yolk carry them, can’t out bench them, can’t out row them….. (did I leave anything out?😁)

…just so some humble pie can get crammed down an esophagus or two around here.

Further, it seemed like many here worked so hard a few years back to go out of their way crying about how grip shouldn’t have anything to do with overall strength, but instead only hand strength… which was the core belief of many who tried to delete the axle from grip at that time. Because they felt that it was geared too much towards overall strength to be a bonafide grip event.

that said, why are some of those same people so eager to compare their grip to a strongmans grip?…. some of you went way out of your way to avoid getting your body* stronger, (even going so far as to call for the axle to be deleted on grounds that it wasn’t even a grip event!) only to constantly compare your grip exploits to those who are the apex of overall strength.

it is literally madness.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 3

OK My memory isn't much these days but I seem to remember that Loz is a friend to David Horne and has done some work with him over the years.  Isn't he like #5 or so on the Euro list?  I also seem to remember Loz turning in some crazy good time for a 500 meter Concept 2 row.  Of course I could be wrong?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

So after watching the whole video it does seem evident that Big Loz is very in the know with regards to grip. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s a dedicated grip guy. But he seemed to know to a fairly accurate degree about where he would come in on all lifts except the dyno. He also appeared to know how to properly grip all the implements, unlike Larry. as was evident by how Larry gripped the hub. And then again when he was gripping the RGT and was not overly interested in using a false grip. Which would definitely be an opinion of an in the know grip guy as well. And at one point Loz even made reference to a coin lift implement he had. He also elaborated on how grippers did not translate over to anything, and said they are a specialized thing. Which is a common opinion (with exact wording) amongst us grip guys. He stated the 3 areas of grip properly at one point. Crush, pinch, and supporting grip. And also even mentioned wanting to pinch 2-45s as he and Larry were discussing what to do next.

that said, I’m actually pretty impressed that he was aware of all of those things. Given that his sport doesn’t require that degree of grip knowledge, knowing those things doesn’t happen by accident. or by someone who only dabbled with grip a time or two. So I actually would not be surprised if he tuned in here on the board at times studying, but just doesn’t post.

not at all suggesting that he keeps track of grip sport like many of us here do. But I also would not be surprised if he knew of all the top grip guys, and what many of the top lifts are with regards to weight.

which is really cool when you think about it! To me it is awesome that he has that level of knowledge of the sport!

Hell, one of the most avid grip guys in strongman is Felix. And Loz appeared to know even more than Felix has ever been vocal about with grip.

I guess at this point I’m sort of just rambling on.. I just had no idea there were any strongmen besides Felix, Shaw, and Martins that were even remotely interested in grip. So it’s somewhat exciting to me.

what can I say. I’m now a Big Loz fan!

Loz has competed in gripsport comps before at david hornes and did very well. He knows his stuff. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, climber511 said:

OK My memory isn't much these days but I seem to remember that Loz is a friend to David Horne and has done some work with him over the years.  Isn't he like #5 or so on the Euro list?  I also seem to remember Loz turning in some crazy good time for a 500 meter Concept 2 row.  Of course I could be wrong?

17 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Loz has competed in gripsport comps before at david hornes and did very well. He knows his stuff. 

This would explain his knowledge of the sport then! Thanks fellas

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “sad”.. when like every single grip guy around here wants to jump up and down screaming about that time they outlifted a WSM competitor on a said grip implement… and as a result feel they have somehow debunked or discredited the term “WSM” because they outlifted one of them with a grip lift. Lol!

And it’s almost as if this community is especially smug towards strongmen with regards to grip, but not anyone else. If Devon Larratt can’t close a #3 or pull 200 on a RT, then it’s “well he’s an arm wrestler… and doesn’t train grip specifically. So it’s not sad if he can’t do it. But totally Is if this strongman (who also doesn’t specifically train grip) can’t.”  It actually makes zero sense to not apply the same logic across the board to all other strength sports if you ask me. Because you’d then at least be an equal opportunity hater. Lol!

example, a big random no name guy who shows up to a practice and lifts an inch or closes a #3, we all celebrate it and high five each other. Then when one of the strongmen does the same, it gets scoffed at by a large majority here. My question is, why?.. it seems so disingenuous.

Since I’m on it, I call BS! IMO, top level arm wrestlers, specifically, should be the FIRST non grip guys to get laughed at when they can’t do what we do on grip stuff. Because hand and wrist strength, specifically, is/are a huge part of their discipline/sport. Whereas grip in strongman isn’t. ….not even close, actually. when you use your noggin and realize that like nearly everything they grab and pull has a strap attached to it, anyways.

it must be a mental thing around here or something… almost as if because they are called “WSM”, many here like to mock them any time they get a chance. But the truth is, the term WSM was coined long before gripsport was ever really a thing. I guess I could understand the animosity if gripsport came before strongman… but I mean seriously, this smugness and wiener comparing by grip guys to strongmen started damn near day 1 with Thomas Inch himself. And apparently has never let up. And to be honest, Inch apparently didn’t have a stellar reputation due to his smugness.. do any of you want to be remembered the same way?..

at this point id actually love it if like all strongmen did little public rants about how grip guys can’t out deadlift them, can’t out overhead press them, can't out squat them, can’t out stone load them, can’t out farmers walk them, can’t out throw them, can’t out truck pull them, can’t out yolk carry them, can’t out bench them, can’t out row them….. (did I leave anything out?😁)

…just so some humble pie can get crammed down an esophagus or two around here.

Further, it seemed like many here worked so hard a few years back to go out of their way crying about how grip shouldn’t have anything to do with overall strength, but instead only hand strength… which was the core belief of many who tried to delete the axle from grip at that time. Because they felt that it was geared too much towards overall strength to be a bonafide grip event.

that said, why are some of those same people so eager to compare their grip to a strongmans grip?…. some of you went way out of your way to avoid getting your body* stronger, (even going so far as to call for the axle to be deleted on grounds that it wasn’t even a grip event!) only to constantly compare your grip exploits to those who are the apex of overall strength.

it is literally madness.

Agreed 100%. Not talking about you Joseph, but yes there are people who will try to belittle strongmen when they can close bigger grippers. Or lift heavier hubs, pinch, RT and so on. It actually shows they are insecure. 

19 hours ago, climber511 said:

True.

19 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

And yup. Plus, he used to do some grip with Steve Gardener and knows Sam Parker and other gripsters like Laine pretty well. It would've been fun to have him at my grip temple to test his strength against real grip items like the inches, blobs, anvils,...etc. But I am still in America so maybe next time. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Agreed 100%. Not talking about you Joseph, but yes there are people who will try to belittle strongmen when they can close bigger grippers. Or lift heavier hubs, pinch, RT and so on. It actually shows they are insecure. 

True.

And yup. Plus, he used to do some grip with Steve Gardener and knows Sam Parker and other gripsters like Laine pretty well. It would've been fun to have him at my grip temple to test his strength against real grip items like the inches, blobs, anvils,...etc. But I am still in America so maybe next time. 

Yes please try and get loz over. That would be great to watch. I know sam, he lives next to me and ive trained with him quite a few times. You should invite him over as well. He is very strong, it would be great to see what he could do at your gym. He recent feat of incline pressing 2 inch dumbbells unassisted equalling brian shaw must be one of the best strength feats ever.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 2:17 AM, mcalpine1986 said:

Yes please try and get loz over. That would be great to watch. I know sam, he lives next to me and ive trained with him quite a few times. You should invite him over as well. He is very strong, it would be great to see what he could do at your gym. He recent feat of incline pressing 2 inch dumbbells unassisted equalling brian shaw must be one of the best strength feats ever.

Oh yeah Sam is coming too one day. Already done deal.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Oh yeah Sam is coming too one day. Already done deal.

Brilliant. I cant wait to see the footage.