North American Grip Sport Rankings

Eric Roussin

19 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

No no, I hope I didn’t come off like I was implying you are bad at the lift. That is “a” factor for some to boycott tho. For sure. And likely a very common reason. I believe your concern is legit. You did indeed get injured on the implement. So there is no confusion on my end as to why your not a fan of it.

I only point out the debate angles in general. It’s too difficult to win a debate on safety. And is much easier to win by simply saying “I hate that event” or something similar. When promoters realize people aren’t showing up because of events, they will change it up, or stop promoting in general, depending on the individual.

for the record, I’m with you on the tips tester over all. I don’t like it. (Sorry Chris!). I don’t like a lot of abstract implements to be honest, albeit actually being good at a few of them!

And I’m not traveling hundreds of miles to contest an event I don’t even like. My stance could come off as smug to some.. but they can’t really say anything about it. Not anything meaningful anyways.

I mean if they tried it might go something like this “what’s the matter Tommy? You scared I might beat you in my 13lb pinky behind the back lift?” …..and my response to that might look like “um….. yeah bro.. totally scared someone might think your pinky behind the back lift game shits all over me…. 🤣

No offence taken Tommy - it was never supposed to be a comp event - but it is a good training tool for climbing - not as good as actual climbing but much better than most of the Grip Sport lifts we all do.  I started "Grip" to help my climbing and then got hooked on the sport itself - but actually Grip Sport has little effect on climbing ability.

Sorry - I posted this before I read your last post

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

A quality implement will have high level lifters in top spots majority of time. Tips Tester top 10 list on NAGS & BSS are some of the BAADEST gripsters ever.

Probably needs a separate thread - but what would you all consider an ideal set of contest events to demonstrate all around grip proficiency?

A pinch, a crush, a wrist movement and some type of endurance/timed event. If time isn't a factor then I'd throw in wide and narrow pinch as well as a thumb implement. 

• Like 2

I like the traditional format, crush, pinch, thickbar, wrist and medley 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

You all know I dislike "nutcracker" style grippers but one thing we might all agree on is the difficulty judging them in a contest setting - fix that and it should the first event in a comp.  See I did good - no gripper rant LOL.

Second event should be David Horne Euro Pinch (and all available widths should be allowed).  If "fat bar" gives a significant advantage to bigger hands then pinch should be allowed to benefit no particular group as much as is possible.

Fat Bar third - 2" is the standard - bigger totally favors bigger hands as Inch lifts show pretty plainly.  These should be done is this order I think as this seems to have the smallest effects on the next lift in line.

Fourth event.  Some sort off wrist event.  There aren't that many good one's out there in  my mind.  I really like my supported Sledge Lever in the safety rack I made.  Impractical of course but a lift that replicates the lever to the head that is what everyone thinks about as a strength feat with hammers.  This is also where other big events should go - things like Hercules Holds - Scale Weight Holds for time - carries - etc.

Fifth event is the catch all - some Sort of Medley.  I believe the best indication of "all around" forearm and hand strength is shown with mastery of a Medley that includes a "kitchen sink" approach of everything one can find.  I've never seen anything in Grip as impressive as watching Jedd - Andrew - Adam etc do World Class Feat after World Class feat one after another for 3 minutes or so.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, climber511 said:

You all know I dislike "nutcracker" style grippers but one thing we might all agree on is the difficulty judging them in a contest setting - fix that and it should the first event in a comp.  See I did good - no gripper rant LOL.

Second event should be David Horne Euro Pinch (and all available widths should be allowed).  If "fat bar" gives a significant advantage to bigger hands then pinch should be allowed to benefit no particular group as much as is possible.

Fat Bar third - 2" is the standard - bigger totally favors bigger hands as Inch lifts show pretty plainly.  These should be done is this order I think as this seems to have the smallest effects on the next lift in line.

Fourth event.  Some sort off wrist event.  There aren't that many good one's out there in  my mind.  I really like my supported Sledge Lever in the safety rack I made.  Impractical of course but a lift that replicates the lever to the head that is what everyone thinks about as a strength feat with hammers.  This is also where other big events should go - things like Hercules Holds - Scale Weight Holds for time - carries - etc.

Fifth event is the catch all - some Sort of Medley.  I believe the best indication of "all around" forearm and hand strength is shown with mastery of a Medley that includes a "kitchen sink" approach of everything one can find.  I've never seen anything in Grip as impressive as watching Jedd - Andrew - Adam etc do World Class Feat after World Class feat one after another for 3 minutes or so.

This. And oddly enough, this is the main reason I gravitate more towards arm lifting comps these days. Typically there is always an axle and Saxon present in most comps. And a crush event. A crush hold event anyways..

I genuinely miss the days of “the big 3” (euro, axle, and grippers) and comparing your top 3 lift total to others as the most absolute form of ranking. There are a handful nowadays that all of a sudden aren’t as elite as they thought they were when that format is in place. I’d venture to say the top 10 or so wouldn’t change much. Maybe a couple switches in spots with that format. But I wager the top 10 names would still possibly he the top 10 names. The only thing that would threaten that order is grippers. Some of us will bring up a lot of lost points on grippers alone. Especially if we contest both hands. And IMO, that’s exactly how it should be! Not saying grippers are the best of the best way to test crush.. but I am saying it’s like the best way we’ve found over the years to settle who has the stronger crush. And like it or not, crush is one of the 3 types of grip strength. Why it’s so ousted the last 6-7 years from comps is a total mystery to me. Someone, some where decided that crush isn’t grip strength at some point.

im with you tho, Chris. And love that your stance on nutcracker grippers has been so consistent over the years. Never a single excuse made by you. Just simply were not afraid to say you don’t like them. And I respect that. Because it’s like the most American way to reject something.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2

The most “American” way, because it represents that your aware of your freedom to dislike or disapprove of something. No one should feel the need to make a case they think might be acceptable to the masses when they don’t want to do something. The masses don’t get to decide what you do or don’t like.

21 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Yup! Don’t worry about offending or making someone uncomfortable. Say what you love, like, don’t like or hate! AMERICAN WAY!!! 

Yep. The veteran in me still does have love for everyone’s freedom. Even if they use that freedom to hate my guts, I stand behind it.

…..although I’m not likely to stick around long if they get in my ear with it.. lol! I believe in their rights to do so tho.

im with you tho, Chris. And love that your stance on nutcracker grippers has been so consistent over the years. Never a single excuse made by you. Just simply were not afraid to say you don’t like them. And I respect that. Because it’s like the most American way to reject something.

I wasn't all that good at Grippers - but I don't think that mattered much in the way I view them.  My best comp close was 156# with a block set so not terrible.  I did do 191.8# choked to parallel in two different contests and a 195 #4 close choked - one of Heath's in training.  I like to think I had the "horsepower" to do grippers - just not the desire to learn to "set" them.  I don't look down on people with big closes - I just never cared to be one myself.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 3:59 PM, Kluv#0 said:

A quality implement will have high level lifters in top spots majority of time. Tips Tester top 10 list on NAGS & BSS are some of the BAADEST gripsters ever.

I wouldn't get to the top 50 on the TT and dislike the movement even more since my pulley injury on it. It is weird to be good at 95% of other lifts and be absolutely terrible at the TT type movements. 

6 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

I wouldn't get to the top 50 on the TT and dislike the movement even more since my pulley injury on it. It is weird to be good at 95% of other lifts and be absolutely terrible at the TT type movements. 

The lift I can NOT seem to do well on is the the Little Big Horn or similar events.  It's amazing to me how terrible I do on it - I think it's safe but my hand just simply sucks at it.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, climber511 said:

The lift I can NOT seem to do well on is the the Little Big Horn or similar events.  It's amazing to me how terrible I do on it - I think it's safe but my hand just simply sucks at it.

I have this problem, too.  I can do more on rolling thunder than on little bighorn, and that's just weird.  In fact, my little bighorn PR is probably right around the RGC of my gripper pr lol.  Awful.

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I have this problem, too.  I can do more on rolling thunder than on little bighorn, and that's just weird.  In fact, my little bighorn PR is probably right around the RGC of my gripper pr lol.  Awful.

Vinnie, I actually think athletes pulling more on RT than LBH is not uncommon.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I have only tried the Little Bighorn once but it was less than my max gripper and my rolling thunder haha.

• Like 1