Hello, new to the arm wresting world

Zoom

On 9/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, Zoom said:

All the world champions I see on youtube do not seem to line up with world champions I see in wikipedia. I want to start learning a bit more

What would you like to learn?

rankings? Or how to pull?

if rankings is what your after, no better way to know than to surf the web a bit for who’s who.

so to shorten your search times, and to pass on what is widely agreed upon in the arm wrestling community, understand that John Brzenk is the GOAT of competitive arm wrestling. And currently, Levan S. Is the #1 super at this time. Devon Larratt is a close 2nd to Brzenk IMO. And has wins over many of the great pullers of the last 2 decades.

I could go long with mentioning all the pullers in each weight class, and different federations that are top guys from all over the world. But instead I’ll just refer you to WAL and PAL rankings to start.

also understand that there are apparently tested and untested federations, if that sort of factor even interests you.

if learning to pull is what you’re after, search local arm wrestling groups near you on social media and reach out to them. It’s likely that you’ll be invited to something upon your first inquiry.

good luck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Unerstand that John Brzenk is the GOAT of competitive arm wrestling. 

I don't know much about arm wrestling but I do know that this is true. 

@Zoom there's an arm wrestling sub forum on here you might wanna check out. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

What would you like to learn?

rankings? Or how to pull?

if rankings is what your after, no better way to know than to surf the web a bit for who’s who.

so to shorten your search times, and to pass on what is widely agreed upon in the arm wrestling community, understand that John Brzenk is the GOAT of competitive arm wrestling. And currently, Levan S. Is the #1 super at this time. Devon Larratt is a close 2nd to Brzenk IMO. And has wins over many of the great pullers of the last 2 decades.

I could go long with mentioning all the pullers in each weight class, and different federations that are top guys from all over the world. But instead I’ll just refer you to WAL and PAL rankings to start.

also understand that there are apparently tested and untested federations, if that sort of factor even interests you.

if learning to pull is what you’re after, search local arm wrestling groups near you on social media and reach out to them. It’s likely that you’ll be invited to something upon your first inquiry.

good luck.

I'd like to understand the sport. No I don't want to pull, I got enough medical probs right now. I'm a new just a fan of the sport thanks to You Tube.  

I am familiar with all the players you mentioned above and I know that all world champions worship the God John Brzenk.  

Here is the wiki arm wrestling world champion history info.

(Notice it doesn't even mention legends Larratt, Brzenk, Todd, Chaffee or Cyplenkov. Why are they not included? : 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Armwrestling_Championship 

I do recognize names on the list tho; Bagent, Pushkar, Goodridge, Saginashvili

1 hour ago, Zoom said:

I'd like to understand the sport. No I don't want to pull, I got enough medical probs right now. I'm a new just a fan of the sport thanks to You Tube.  

I am familiar with all the players you mentioned above and I know that all world champions worship the God John Brzenk.  

(Notice it doesn't even mention legends Larratt, Brzenk, Todd, Chaffee or Cyplenkov. Why are they not included? : 

Okay so I’m sort of taking notes based off what you say to try to help you out as best I can. But it seems like it’s beginning to turn into a bit of a guessing game.

so far I’d say you likely already have a moderate level of understanding of the “sport” if your catching that the Wikipedia article left some names out. At least as far as who’s who anyways. So this tells me your not totally clueless.

Next note is your not interested in pulling. So now, if myself or anyone else here is to help you out, I’m gonna need to get to a more direct question from you.

your main interest that made your OP worth taking the time post is what?

To understand the rules of the sport?

how tournaments work?

if there is money involved?

A rough estimate of how many people participate in various federations worldwide?

further clarification on an in-depth all time world rankings list? (One of those actually doesn’t exist that I’m aware of)

Or why the Wikipedia article isn’t as complete as it should be?

if your looking for further clarification on why the Wikipedia article isn’t thorough, I can assure you you won’t find that clarification here. No one here is in charge of Wikipedia. That I’m aware of. …and Id bet that close to 65-70% of everything Wikipedia posts is equally as misleading, or incomplete, in some way, on all topics.

so, besides wanting to discuss whatever is (or isn’t) in the Wikipedia link, that none of us here has any control of, what can I help you with?

If all your really wanting to do is be a fan of the sport, I’d recommend simply subscribing to as many dedicated arm wrestling channels on YouTube as you can find. And soak up as much content as you like. Whenever you like. 

3 hours ago, Zoom said:

The champions listed on this wiki page are those who won titles at the World Armwrestling Federation (WAF) World Championships, which is the world federation that has historically been the one to which most national federations align. It is an amateur championship: not in the sense of the level of pullers who attend, but rather in the sense that there is no prize money. Many of the top professional pullers have either never competed in this event, or only did so for a few years before turning their attention to professional prize money events (the majority of which there is no testing for PEDs). So this is why you won’t see certain names listed on the page.

I agree with Tommy that it would be helpful if you were more specific about what you’re looking for. But if you’re interested in learning more about top pullers through history, there’s no better place than this page to start: https://www.thearmwrestlingarchives.com/top-pullers.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so I’m sort of taking notes based off what you say to try to help you out as best I can. But it seems like it’s beginning to turn into a bit of a guessing game.

so far I’d say you likely already have a moderate level of understanding of the “sport” if your catching that the Wikipedia article left some names out. At least as far as who’s who anyways. So this tells me your not totally clueless.

Next note is your not interested in pulling. So now, if myself or anyone else here is to help you out, I’m gonna need to get to a more direct question from you.

your main interest that made your OP worth taking the time post is what?

To understand the rules of the sport?

how tournaments work?

if there is money involved?

A rough estimate of how many people participate in various federations worldwide?

further clarification on an in-depth all time world rankings list? (One of those actually doesn’t exist that I’m aware of)

Or why the Wikipedia article isn’t as complete as it should be?

if your looking for further clarification on why the Wikipedia article isn’t thorough, I can assure you you won’t find that clarification here. No one here is in charge of Wikipedia. That I’m aware of. …and Id bet that close to 65-70% of everything Wikipedia posts is equally as misleading, or incomplete, in some way, on all topics.

so, besides wanting to discuss whatever is (or isn’t) in the Wikipedia link, that none of us here has any control of, what can I help you with?

Not in Wiki world champions ... Larratt, Brzenk, Todd, Chaffee or Cyplenkov. The question is Why are they not included?

Eric Roussin  answered in his response. The champs in the wiki article are "amateur" champs. Thanks Eric, thanks Tommy every little bit helps. 

NEXT QUESTION:   Can anyone link me to a more comprehensive list? (World champs every year and in each weight division.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

I agree with Tommy that it would be helpful if you were more specific about what you’re looking for. But if you’re interested in learning more about top pullers through history, there’s no better place than this page to start: https://www.thearmwrestlingarchives.com/top-pullers.html

Missed this link till now. Thanks for that, I'll bookmark it immediately 

40 minutes ago, Zoom said:

Missed this link till now. Thanks for that, I'll bookmark it immediately 

You’ll find the results from the vast majority of all major championships through the years on my site, including full results from the WAF World Championships.

https://www.thearmwrestlingarchives.com/event-results.html

• Thanks 1