Anyone ever use Robert Baraban horse shoe bender?

Blacksmith513

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Baraban-Horseshoe-Strongman-Training/dp/B07RB7VMBD/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=robert+baraban&qid=1630540544&sr=8-6

Very pricy, but looks to be well made.. Probably not going to buy one, but it has me interested and was wondering if anyone here has used one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one, and I have used it.  It is extremely well made and will strengthen your arms in ways different than free weights.  His chest Krusher is also an amazing piece of equipment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

I have one, and I have used it.  It is extremely well made and will strengthen your arms in ways different than free weights.  His chest Krusher is also an amazing piece of equipment.

How do you think it differs from say the Wrist developer?  Does it actually help with bending horse shoes?  I would't mind spending the money if its a way to practice without having to buy steel all the time.  Thanks

The wrist developer moves the other way.  With the horseshoe bender, you pull it apart.   As far as how much it will help with horseshoe bending, its hard for me to say.  I've only bent one horseshoe in my life, I was able to "open it" but I could not "heart" it.  I think the Baraban device may help you with the first part of the bend.

Here is a really good video on the product:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

The wrist developer moves the other way.  With the horseshoe bender, you pull it apart.   As far as how much it will help with horseshoe bending, its hard for me to say.  I've only bent one horseshoe in my life, I was able to "open it" but I could not "heart" it.  I think the Baraban device may help you with the first part of the bend.

I've seen that video..  Its very good. The thing that interests me about this product and what i like about the wrist developer is, while it doens't replace bending steel. It still builds the tendon and muscle strength needed and you can use them for reps... I got the Wrist Developer 2 weeks ago, against my better judgement used it way to much and my wrists are just feeling better now...  My abs where really sore too. I feel like I woke up some muscles and tendons I never knew existed. Maybe i will end up buying one.

You know, my cousin and husband are in Austria right now,  but i think they are coming home tomorrow. I should ask seen if they could have bought one there and flew home with it, could have saved on shipping and maybe fees.. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:24 AM, Blacksmith513 said:

I've seen that video..  Its very good. The thing that interests me about this product and what i like about the wrist developer is, while it doens't replace bending steel. It still builds the tendon and muscle strength needed and you can use them for reps... I got the Wrist Developer 2 weeks ago, against my better judgement used it way to much and my wrists are just feeling better now...  My abs where really sore too. I feel like I woke up some muscles and tendons I never knew existed. Maybe i will end up buying one.

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You know, my cousin and husband are in Austria right now,  but i think they are coming home tomorrow. I should ask seen if they could have bought one there and flew home with it, could have saved on shipping and maybe fees.. 

Honestly the quality of the product is amazing, I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed with it(other than the initial cost).  I know the idea of the original York “iron horseshoe” as well as the York “krusher” were supposed to help you train for bending horseshoes and steel bars respectively.  I have Baraban’s version of both products and I can say with certainty that his Krusher is way better than the original, I’ve never touched a York horseshoe, but I’d wager it blows away other versions in quality and usefulness too.  

The original iron horseshoes and Krusher are really hard to find, and you would likely pay more for them than the Baraban versions, and you get less training range.  If you didn’t like the Horsehoe bender, you could brobably recoup most of your loss here or on eBay if you wanted to sell it. 

Edited by RiotGrip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RiotGrip said:

Honestly the quality of the product is amazing, I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed with it(other than the initial cost).  I know the idea of the original York “iron horseshoe” as well as the York “krusher” were supposed to help you train for bending horseshoes and steel bars respectively.  I have Baraban’s version of both products and I can say with certainty that his Krusher is way better than the original, I’ve never touched a York horseshoe, but I’d wager it blows away other versions in quality and usefulness too.  

The original iron horseshoes and Krusher are really hard to find, and you would likely pay more for them than the Baraban versions, and you get less training range.  If you didn’t like the Horsehoe bender, you could brobably recoup most of your loss here or on eBay if you wanted to sell it. 

I think you just talked me into it.

I bought it. Gonna take a while to get here I think.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think you just talked me into it.

58 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I bought it. Gonna take a while to get here I think.

Solid choice!  Also, if you end up liking the Horseshoe bender, the Krusher is equally awesome and likely more functional for upper body strength.  Here is a video of me with the Krusher.  

(No, I’m not getting paid by Robert Baraban lol!)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

Solid choice!  Also, if you end up liking the Horseshoe bender, the Krusher is equally awesome and likely more functional for upper body strength.  Here is a video of me with the Krusher.  

(No, I’m not getting paid by Robert Baraban lol!)

He owes you a thanks... That Chest Krusher looks cool, too maybe next year.  Eventually I'm going to start making my own horse shoes to bend, but that also costs time and money... This, and the wrist developer should give me a good solid base to start bending, once I reach some other goals first.

• 2 weeks later...

Look what came today. Very impressed with build quality

43E4ECE9-CA4B-4421-8025-1642455D6B7F.jpeg

• Like 3

Just a quick review, after doing a few sets this morning... It works for upper body a lot.  I know next to nothing about bending but I feel this will help a lot.. Not with technique, but for strength.  I didn't mind spending the money, because buying steel or nails adds up over time too.  I'm also into the nostalgia of the old time strongmen, so this thing is kinda cool in that regard too. Overall I'm very happy, I wish it was cheaper, but your only going to ever need one. 

Spent a lot of money on kettlebells and some guitar stuff recently so I was gonna wait to buy it honestly the reason  I ended up buying this that day is,  I saw something very tragic that was very close to being me the day before, don't want to say what because I believe it made national headlines...  I literally witnessed how fast life can end so I said screw it and bought it.

• Like 4

On 10/12/2021 at 4:39 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Look what came today. Very impressed with build quality

43E4ECE9-CA4B-4421-8025-1642455D6B7F.jpeg

16 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Just a quick review, after doing a few sets this morning... It works for upper body a lot.  I know next to nothing about bending but I feel this will help a lot.. Not with technique, but for strength.  I didn't mind spending the money, because buying steel or nails adds up over time too.  I'm also into the nostalgia of the old time strongmen, so this thing is kinda cool in that regard too. Overall I'm very happy, I wish it was cheaper, but your only going to ever need one. 

Spent a lot of money on kettlebells and some guitar stuff recently so I was gonna wait to buy it honestly the reason  I ended up buying this that day is,  I saw something very tragic that was very close to being me the day before, don't want to say what because I believe it made national headlines...  I literally witnessed how fast life can end so I said screw it and bought it.

I figured you would like it, the quality alone makes it worth owning if you have any interest in those movements.  Plus, with the six springs given, you will never outgrow it!

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:41 PM, RiotGrip said:

I figured you would like it, the quality alone makes it worth owning if you have any interest in those movements.  Plus, with the six springs given, you will never outgrow it!

yup, now I really want the Chest Krusher.... Next year.  Escepailyl since I found out Slim the Hammerman used one.... 

I only have dabbled with the horseshoe trainer this week, so I don't over do it, like I did with the wrist developer.. But I could really feel it in my biceps and tris....  So glad I bought it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

yup, now I really want the Chest Krusher.... Next year.  Escepailyl since I found out Slim the Hammerman used one.... 

I only have dabbled with the horseshoe trainer this week, so I don't over do it, like I did with the wrist developer.. But I could really feel it in my biceps and tris....  So glad I bought it.  

I have actually had the chance to use Slim’s personal York Krusher when I went to his home and training garage in 2008.  Unforgettable experience.  He shut his Krusher with all 5 springs for several reps like it was nothing and then handed it to me to try.  I shut for ten reps with mild difficulty, Slim looked a little surprised but in true Slim fashion he replied, “let me know when you can do 10,000!”.  He had obviously mastered the device, but I believe he continued to use it to train(he may still today for all I know).  But suffice to say, the Baraban version of the Krusher is significantly better than York’s original version.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RiotGrip said:

I have actually had the chance to use Slim’s personal York Krusher when I went to his home and training garage in 2008.  Unforgettable experience.  He shut his Krusher with all 5 springs for several reps like it was nothing and then handed it to me to try.  I shut for ten reps with mild difficulty, Slim looked a little surprised but in true Slim fashion he replied, “let me know when you can do 10,000!”.  He had obviously mastered the device, but I believe he continued to use it to train(he may still today for all I know).  But suffice to say, the Baraban version of the Krusher is significantly better than York’s original version.

That’s amazing to have been In the same room and use his equipment. Slim along with my grandpa where my inspirations for grip training. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, RiotGrip said:

Scored a new Krusher for $403 shipped on eBay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Scored a new Krusher for $403 shipped on eBay.

You'll have to let me know how you like it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

I will. I figured i'd probably never find one for that cheap, and like you said with the horse shoe trainer, it will hold most of its value.  It was like $367 on ebay but with shippinng and tax it came to 403...... It would be $490 on amazon. 

When I found out Slim used and may still uses one, I had to get it. I know it wont turn me into Slim...  The horseshoe trainer is great. Still nursing a wrist injury, but i'm dabbling with it..Really works the upper body in a unique way. I'd imagine it would help with the strength for ripping phonebooks. I don't care much for lifting 400lbs+.... trainers like this and sledge work, seems to be my niche. 

They are so well built,  If I don't ever have kids, my nephews can put me on the mantle and hang them up next to me.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 11:42 PM, RiotGrip said:

It came today, its incredible... There are so many different angles you can work it.  I know not much about scrolling and bending steel, but I can tell this is a VERY good device for building the strength to do it.. Its SO well built. I love how it includes a Made in Germany allen wrench...He could use a POS china one, but he obviously takes pride in his product.  There is something that still attracts me more to the Horseshoe bender, but this Krusher, is way more useful. There is about 6 different ways I used it today, all work different muscles and leverage.... Probably going to have to make a serrate thread about it tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

It came today, its incredible... There are so many different angles you can work it.  I know not much about scrolling and bending steel, but I can tell this is a VERY good device for building the strength to do it.. Its SO well built. I love how it includes a Made in Germany allen wrench...He could use a POS china one, but he obviously takes pride in his product.  There is something that still attracts me more to the Horseshoe bender, but this Krusher, is way more useful. There is about 6 different ways I used it today, all work different muscles and leverage.... Probably going to have to make a serrate thread about it tomorrow.

It is definitely more useful for building upper body strength.  The horseshoe bender is pretty good for the arms, but the Krusher seems to hit everything above the pecs.  How many springs could you close?  I look forward to the review.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:15 PM, RiotGrip said:

Talk about love at first sight ❤️ I want one already! :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RiotGrip said:

It is definitely more useful for building upper body strength.  The horseshoe bender is pretty good for the arms, but the Krusher seems to hit everything above the pecs.  How many springs could you close?  I look forward to the review.

I could close 3, holding it the regular way. Maybe I could do4, but I didn't bother. I'll make a thread about the Chest Krusher by the weekend.