New All Time Strict Curl World Record - 250LBS / 114KG - Leroy Walker

Kashtan

Damn, looked easy. 

Wow. I know him for his bench but that is a crazy amount to curl 

Man I hate to be the form police and that's an impressive feat regardless but that is not what I would consider a strict curl. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Man I hate to be the form police and that's an impressive feat regardless but that is not what I would consider a strict curl. 

Yea, I'm seeing a lot of similar things being said about it. Big ones being his arms are not straight at the start and people handing him the weight. 

Looked like he left some in the tank. Hopefully he'll come back and do slightly more with better form but I guess we'll just have to wait and see 

I just saw a video pop up on my YouTube saying it shouldn’t count. I think it’s a super hard lift to judge in general 

There is apparently other controversy as well. Apparently the very next day a Russian beat Leroys record by 2lbs. But it is my understanding that Cyplenklov rejected it?..

don’t know for sure on the record being rejected. But do know that a Russian did more the next day. I do dig seeing the strict curl record get some play either way.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

There is apparently other controversy as well. Apparently the very next day a Russian beat Leroys record by 2lbs. But it is my understanding that Cyplenklov rejected it?..

don’t know for sure on the record being rejected. But do know that a Russian did more the next day. I do dig seeing the strict curl record get some play either way.

That guy did say he was curing 115kg but down further in the post he says he was poking fun and it was actually 110kg. 

Go to 4:02 in the video. Goes over a bunch of stuff brought up. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stranger said:

Go to 4:02 in the video. Goes over a bunch of stuff brought up. 

Was just about to post this and put the exact time stamp you put in. Lol!

so apparently the Russian guy didn’t actually curl more, and not only does Denis (prior record holder with 113k) reject LeRoys record, but so does CT fletcher..

im not a strict curl aficionado. And don’t really know all the particulars as it relates to the rules of the lift.. but it does appear the complaints about LeRoys record by CT, Denis, and Neezy, all have merit. Namely the close grip and narrow platform LeRoy curled from.

however, whatever fed that was apparently recognized it as the record.  So I guess that is that.

that said, this scenario is the exact type thing that has apparently led to there being like 50 different governing bodies of powerlifting. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see yet another split in powerlifting where a group or three decides to shun the org currently in question.

I was talking with an elite powerlifter yesterday. And he was expressing his overall disappointment in judging at meets these days. And after hearing what he had to say, I can’t really disagree. It’s like every record that’s getting broke in powerlifting these days has smoke around it.

and while some might suggest “oh well everyone has a different idea of what is good and what isn’t”, I’ll refer to the same point my powerlifting buddy made. Which was “did you see anyone questioning Ed C’s lifts back in the day? Or Kaz’s lifts?….no. Because they did it right and left no question.

• Like 2

On a random note, many of y’all know I’m chasing a 400# bench. But a garage lift won’t satisfy me. I aim to smoke it in sanctioned meet with zero question. So that never will there be a day down the road where some snatch mouths off “I mean he got it… but but but xyz”

and that ain’t even gonna be close to a record lift, and I still strive for there to be no question. I don’t care if it takes me another 5 years and I hold out until i can do a paused triple with it before I show up to a meet and make it official for a no-question single. That’s exactly  the standard any new possible record breaker should hold themselves to as well. Instead of a sloppy, questionable, “hurry up and get it done” performance. Like they are terrified that if they instead wait another couple months and master it, someone else is gonna come in before they do and get the record by a pound.

The problem is not only the judges these days. It’s the “now now now” mentality lifters possess that is the main culprit to a lot of the smoke these days. Because if they weren’t rushing to etch their names in history then there wouldn’t be so many sloppy records.

that said though, LeRoy did move the weight fast… even though he got easy judging and what appeared to be a very forgiving setup. I can see him taking the record again under stricter circumstances.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 2