Lifting gear etiquette

Tommy J.

So I saw a bit of a spat in the comments section of a bench video tonight. To your surprise, I actually did not partake in that one. Lol!

it did get my wheels spinning though. And am now deciding to pass this etiquette on where I can.

when you see a guy benching or lifting with gear, try and refrain from getting overzealous and blurting out something along the lines of “how much do those elbow sleeves add?” as your only offering of involvement in the conversation. Its a bad look. And one of a smug and passive aggressive behavior in most cases. And it’s actually a moronic question completely. What you really want to know when you ask that is “what is your raw bench?”. Or “how many reps can you get raw?” So just skip the part where you think your about to put a guy or gal in a position that you are holding your breath hoping they are gonna lie to you. And simply grow a sack and ask that person what their best raw lift is without that gear instead.

case in point on the exchange of pleasantries I saw earlier was a pair of elbow sleeves. Loose bunched up ones no less…. The guys first and only words in his initial response were “how much do the sleeves add?”

that spat went from there, mostly driven in a heated way by the guy that dropped the question.

and here is where the etiquette comes in. First off, I don’t see many people asking that about how much knee sleeves add on a squat. Or how much a lifting belt adds to a squat. The obvious reason for that is that most of us understand that those are there for protection more than they are there to seek some rad performance gains. In fact, most even go so far as to suggest knee sleeves are like the only squat gear NOT credited as classifying the lift as geared. They sort of get thrown in with lifting belts. As they should! Elbow sleeves on a bench are no different. And from my own personal experience, I’m not tracking what the sleeves “add”. I wear them all the time anyways so the elbows will scream at me less on my off days. That and they do a great job of keeping the elbows warm between sets. I and most folks who use them are not wearing them as some means of satisfying our ego or attempting to show off. If we wanted to do that we’d either wear a slingshot or a bench shirt. Or become contortionist benchers. when I wear the sleeves, I’m simply taking measures now so I can do this comfortably until I’m 70.

further, it’s not like anyone is going to be allowed to wear elbow sleeves on the bench in any powerlifting meets that I’m aware of anyways. Even in geared meets. Because in geared meets people go straight to shirts. And in raw meets they ain’t allowed. So when your asking “how much do those add?” You’re not really getting at any special or useful info. Because even if some guy replied to the best of his ability and said “they add xyz weight”, all your gonna get cited is an unofficial gym lift number anyways. And since when does today’s world want to give gym lifts any credit? So… have good etiquette. And skip the question completely. Or you look like a douche.

and if you really think they give any notable assistance and need to find some definitive number, just buy a set and wear them. And then use the energy you would have used to ask that useless question, and put it to good use finding your own answer.

same goes for asking how much a slingshot adds. Skip it. Be more direct and stop beating around the bush like women and children like to do. just ask what their raw bench is instead. Then draw whatever conclusions you feel like drawing after you get the answer to your more direct, and adult question.

if any of you have any more etiquette you’d like to add, send it.

• Like 3

"How much do the sleeves add?"

I could litterarly ask this question to a guy benching because I would like to know how much I could gain from getting a pair. Adding them to training could get me surpass a certain threshold etc

And if they don't add anything to the bench, is it really that hard just to answer "I just use them for elbow health, I don't know/care about how much they give" That's my answer to people asking how much I got out of knee sleves. "Their like a warm hug around my legs during the lift"

But i guess it's all in the intent behind the question.

I would be very surprised to get a salty reaction from this question, I would feel the person is sensitive and I apparently stepped on sore toes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

"How much do the sleeves add?"

I could litterarly ask this question to a guy benching because I would like to know how much I could gain from getting a pair. Adding them to training could get me surpass a certain threshold etc

And if they don't add anything to the bench, is it really that hard just to answer "I just use them for elbow health, I don't know/care about how much they give" That's my answer to people asking how much I got out of knee sleves. "Their like a warm hug around my legs during the lift"

But i guess it's all in the intent behind the question.

I would be very surprised to get a salty reaction from this question, I would feel the person is sensitive and I apparently stepped on sore toes.

You are most certainly gonna get salt in return from most people if the initial, and only communication you relay is “how much to the sleeves add”. Or your gonna get flat out ignored with that kind of left field engagement. Because it screams that your insisting they do add noteworthy weight. You can try to disguise it all you want. But we both know exactly what your thinking. When you ask that question, You already decided you think they add. Now all you want to do is discuss how much. As is evident by the question.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

You are most certainly gonna get salt in return from most people if the initial, and only communication you relay is “how much to the sleeves add”. Or your gonna get flat out ignored with that kind of left field engagement. Because it screams that your insisting they do add noteworthy weight. You can try to disguise it all you want. But we both know exactly what your thinking. When you ask that question, You already decided you think they add. Now all you want to do is discuss how much. As is evident by the question.

In this case it would have been a question to hope that they add and be curious to how much. But I guess it's in the intention behind the question. I have litterarly always wanted to know if I could gain something having elbow sleeves but since I am cheap as hell never bought any. But I wouldn't disturb anyone in their workout either if it's not clear they want a chat so I guess it depends on situations. There's a etiquette, don't disturb people training if it's not clear that it's wanted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lennix said:

In this case it would have been a question to hope that they add and be curious to how much. But I guess it's in the intention behind the question. I have litterarly always wanted to know if I could gain something having elbow sleeves but since I am cheap as hell never bought any. But I wouldn't disturb anyone in their workout either if it's not clear they want a chat so I guess it depends on situations. There's a etiquette, don't disturb people training if it's not clear that it's wanted.

No, it’s the wording of the question that gives the intent away.

yes though I would agree that most who are at a commercial gym are usually in their own bubble. Especially true if they are at a core lift station. Squat, bench, DL, or even overhead pressing. Anybody acting like you are interrupting them while they are on an accessory exercise as if they are in some deep trance you just broke is a douche. I don’t know of anyone that needs to focus heavily on some tricep extensions while they stand at a cable machine and push relatively light weight for a bunch of reps. Not anyone cool enough to waste your time trying to talk to anyways.

Funny that you point out accessory lifts not needing focus, when our entire hobby is what most people would call an accessory lift. 

35 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Funny that you point out accessory lifts not needing focus, when our entire hobby is what most people would call an accessory lift. 

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m not taking any lift very serious or focusing to any significant degree with a weight or movement that is unlikely to badly injure me. Which, I agree, Describes every single grip lift. Definitely not to the point I’d be an asshole to anyone who approached me while I was doing that lift anyways. Do you focus that heavily on grip lifts to the point you'd be an asshole to someone who approached you while you were doing one of the grip lifts?

if not, then I suppose my sentiments aren’t exactly “funny” in a rhetorical sense. And are instead exactly on point.

Edited by Tommy J.

Besides, my sentiments were more aligned with gear etiquette. Or to be more direct, etiquette on how you should or shouldn’t inquire to the person using the said gear. But I’m also obviously entertaining any other gym or lifting etiquette you guys want to discuss I suppose.

much of the gym etiquette is stuff we don’t really need to elaborate on. Like reracking weights, leaving chalk messes, smudging mirrors, etc. hadn’t considered the angle Lennix mentioned about approaching people. most aren’t exactly eager to do that anyways.. and I’m not aware of it being a common issue. but I guess we can continue to cover that. Lol

For me so far the only funny thing in the thread is the little bit of resistance I’m meeting on the gear inquiry thing. It’s like totally not hard to avoid making awkward or salty statements about a dudes gear that literally wasn’t even talking to you.

lol, doing so is cringe in so many ways.

46 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m not taking any lift very serious or focusing to any significant degree with a weight or movement that is unlikely to badly injure me. Which, I agree, Describes every single grip lift. Definitely not to the point I’d be an asshole to anyone who approached me while I was doing that lift anyways. Do you focus that heavily on grip lifts to the point you'd be an asshole to someone who approached you while you were doing one of the grip lifts?

if not, then I suppose my sentiments aren’t exactly “funny” in a rhetorical sense. And are instead exactly on point.

Just being silly. I don't go to public gyms often but even when I do I never approach anyone. Don't really see the need. Climbing gyms are different tho, they tend to be very social. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Just being silly. I don't go to public gyms often but even when I do I never approach anyone. Don't really see the need. Climbing gyms are different tho, they tend to be very social. 

Yeah man climbers are cool. I went with Tanner once to a climbing thing. More people there willing to try grip stuff than any one spot I had ever been in.

On the gear question, I’d like to note that never.. not one time, have I ever seen a stronger guy ask a weaker guy that question.

”how much does this or that add?”

not a stronger guy on the lift being questioned anyways.

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

But hey… it’s only advice. I believe in freedom. Say what you what, however you want, to who you want. Just let this thread serve as a “well… Tommy was right” if you ever decide to do exactly what I describe and are met with salt. Lol.

Great points Tommy. As a former powerlifter I would agree, most people who gear bash are generally speaking are weaker and looking to justify this fact(by claiming RAWWWWW). I'd love to hear these people interogate all of the amazing single ply powerlifters in Texas. Many folks may not know this but Texas has arguably the richest crop of equipped powerlifters, at least in the high school and collegiate levels. 

Only thing I disagree with all of you on is knee sleeves. What kind of knee sleeves are people using....toilet paper? My SBD's have to add at least 10kg/22lbs+. Their is a noticeable difference poundage wise for me between bare knees and using knee sleeves. I constantly hear this sentiment that they don't assist but merely "keep the knees warm and feeling good". If you get a high quality tight fitting pair of knee sleeves they absolutely should give a boost, hell if they didn't how come so many "raw" lifters use trash bags and a team of people just to put them on at IPF worlds? It became such a gong show many powerlifting federations had to put restrictions on this as it was slowing meets down and perhaps they felt took away from the spirit of raw powerlifting. I own about 6 pairs of powerlifting knee wraps and honestly I'd take super tight good quality knee sleeves any day over the crappy wraps and this would be in an effort to lift more weight! I confess the moment you use a legit knee wrap it will own the knee sleeves in terms of poundage added but of course not in comfort haha. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Great points Tommy. As a former powerlifter I would agree, most people who gear bash are generally speaking are weaker and looking to justify this fact(by claiming RAWWWWW). I'd love to hear these people interogate all of the amazing single ply powerlifters in Texas. Many folks may not know this but Texas has arguably the richest crop of equipped powerlifters, at least in the high school and collegiate levels. 

Only thing I disagree with all of you on is knee sleeves. What kind of knee sleeves are people using....toilet paper? My SBD's have to add at least 10kg/22lbs+. Their is a noticeable difference poundage wise for me between bare knees and using knee sleeves. I constantly hear this sentiment that they don't assist but merely "keep the knees warm and feeling good". If you get a high quality tight fitting pair of knee sleeves they absolutely should give a boost, hell if they didn't how come so many "raw" lifters use trash bags and a team of people just to put them on at IPF worlds? It became such a gong show many powerlifting federations had to put restrictions on this as it was slowing meets down and perhaps they felt took away from the spirit of raw powerlifting. I own about 6 pairs of powerlifting knee wraps and honestly I'd take super tight good quality knee sleeves any day over the crappy wraps and this would be in an effort to lift more weight! I confess the moment you use a legit knee wrap it will own the knee sleeves in terms of poundage added but of course not in comfort haha. 

First off, thank you for the kind words regarding my home state. At times I think some around here think I’ve got some off the wall and unjustifiable level of pride when it comes to Tx overall performance in the strength game. So your sentiments on it only validate much of the points I’ve made in the past with regards to Texas athletes. …I mean it’s just a BIG ass state.. with a lot of people. That possesses a bit of an ambiance that, in a lot of cases, sort of forces people here to be tough. Because they think that’s what a Texan “has” to be.

that said, I am one of the guys that doesn’t see anything other than added stability (which could, I suppose, be a sole factor for some to add poundage) when I squat in them. Although, admittedly, one of my training partners has told me multiple times my sleeves are too loose. So who knows. That could be the reason I don’t see any added weight out of mine. I’m just unwilling to wear anything tighter.

• Like 1

I love Texas and hope to go someday. Makes sense they have so many monsters, its almost the population of Canada in a state the size of Alberta. When I was a little kid I loved watching Nolan Ryan pitch for the Rangers lol. Man Texas always seemed epic for football, baseball, strength sports ect from the grassroots levels all the way to the majors. Metroflex gym always seemed so legendary to me growing up watching videdos with Ronnie and Branch Warren to name a few. Now I watch you, Tanner, Adam, Eric, Robert and many more for grip and bending stuff. 

I should have specified about the knee sleeves. I use the really tight SBD knee sleeves and they give a nice rebound out of the hole. I would imagine for loose sleeves or for more all purpose cheaper knee sleeves the aim would be for comfort not increasing the poundages. imo if a lifter buys the highest quality sleeves and fits them TIGHT lol they would get some nice rebound and stability out of the hole. Doesn't add the poundages that a good squat suit or good knee wraps could offer but still adds x amount of pounds. Powerlifters love pain....the tighter the better! 

• Thanks 1

I may grab some SBDs at some point. They seem to make pretty great gear. My current stuff is all Slingshot brand from Mark Bell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

I may grab some SBDs at some point. They seem to make pretty great gear. My current stuff is all Slingshot brand from Mark Bell

My buddies like the Slingshot gear. Lately I've heard that new brand A7 is huge. I'd be curious to see how they stack up vs sbd's and slingshots. 

• Thanks 1