Closed the #2

Well it took me 21/2 months of training but I just closed the #2. Many times very close-from 1/4" to the thickness of a piece of paper, but I finally did it and it was worth the training. Now on to the #3,from what I read I doubt i'll only train 21/2 months for that one. I'm a new member to this board and really enjoy it, only one person and work to talk hand strength with, she is a blackbelt and does lots of fingertip pushups. :)

Congrats on the #2 and good luck with the #3....

Good work on the #2. For the #3 ... it surely going to take more than 2 1/2 months. Figure 1 year and maybe more. I've closed the #2 for reps the first time I got it. I've been working on the #3 since april 2001. My first attempt was down at 3/4. Now I'm at 1/8 and sometimes less. The last fraction of an inch is incredibly hard to dig.

Work a lot on your positionning of the gripper and do some speed work with your #1. Focus on strap holds and negatives with your toughest grippers. Read and ask for advice. There are many COCs on this board and they give excellent advice.

Again, congratulations.

great job, keep it up.  you'll be able to find plenty of advice on here to help you in your quest for the #3

Guest CalvinP

I wonder to close the last fraction of an inch (1/4" or 1/8") of coc gripper what muscles are really come into play?

Is it the fingers' muscles or the palm actually does it as it crunch in? I feel like the palm does MOST of the work to close the last fraction of the gap. Can someone please tell me?

By the way Billy congratulation!

Guest kINGPIN

Well done on that.  It is such a good feeling to close the #2 is'nt it.  I cannot imagine what it must feel like to see the handles of the #3 go down.  Train hard and it will happen.

Andy

Calvin, let me tell you that all muscles come into play. When I attempt the #3, it all starts in the lats, shoulders and down to the fingertips. I even bend my knees a little bit to have a solid base. It is not pretty to see but it works for me.

That's the same thing with a max bench press. All muscles have to be contracted. Legs are very important and you have to grip the bar real hard.

Billy,

Way to go on the #2!  Now.... you're gonna haffta work on the #3!!  If you really work at it, it'll probably be a year to close the #3.  Hey, if I can do it - why not you?  :)

BTW, what is your current grip workout routine?  Welcome to the GripBoard!  :)

Congrats on closing the #2!

I'm still doing negatives on the #2! 1/2 inch more to go.

Can you post your current grip routine? How many days per week? setsXreps schemes etc... I might benefit from your advice.

Good luck on the #3

James

Sybersnott,

My current grip routine is coc every 5 days, some sort of forearms work every other day depending on soreness, aches, etc. I do a lot of wrist curls I feel it helps the coc indirectly and I like the look of huge forearms. I like to do hex dumbell holds and pinch gripping also.

James,

My coc training philosophy is bases on my experience with powerlifting. I know wrist curls every other day is excessive but my goal for that movement is not necessarily a max lift but to get the forearms rock hard. My best rest periods for bench,squat, were anywhere from 5-7 days rest depending on feel. Any sooner and you just beat your head on the wall. Everybody is different as far as recovery time but in general I feel with a couple years training hopefully this will get me to #3 if not sooner, if it takes longer then so be it. Train hard and consistently (most of all consistently) is my theory. Best Wishes!

Billy,

Nice job on the #2!  What a rush, heh??  Time to set the sights on bigger and badder.  My aching hands can attest to the badder! I agree with Syber on the year thing.  It could take that long.  But like you said, however long it takes, so be it. D*** the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Alan

Guest Youngguy

Hi my name is mike, and I am 14 years old. I have completed a world record. I am the youngets person to close the #3 Caaptains of Crush gripper. It took my from the middle of last summer to now. That would be about 4-5 months. I am not lying eather I will be certified with in a month or two.

Good work on the two.

One tip make dead sure your hands are upmost sure to the point it is hard to even close your hand. Please do this if you want the best results.

Oh I have been working on my grip for almost a year now.