Arm wrestling arm break

Tommy J.

4 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I've been arm wrestling for a little over a year and don't have any weird pains. My secret is to first spend 10 years rock climbing to build bulletproof tendons. I also am constantly doing rehab and prehab movements, and never go long stretches without any activity. Sleep and nutrition are huge and often ignored by everyone bit especially arm wrestlers, almost none of the other guys I pull with do anything at all to manage joints and avoid injury 

How do you pull? Maybe top roll? I notice when I pull outside I don't get pain but inside/hook is painful. But goes away in a day or two. Then again, I rarely train.

I do everything since I'm currently too new to have a go to style and still have a long way to go with technique. All I have now is a really good cup and rise, but basically zero back pressure. Probably will become a top roller eventually, just because I have relatively long arms. If I do go deep inside I find my pec is the weak link, which makes sense since I don't train them. 

16 hours ago, Climber028 said:

I do everything since I'm currently too new to have a go to style and still have a long way to go with technique. All I have now is a really good cup and rise, but basically zero back pressure. Probably will become a top roller eventually, just because I have relatively long arms. If I do go deep inside I find my pec is the weak link, which makes sense since I don't train them. 

A good general rule of thumb is to aim to pull outside on a thicker armed opponent, and inside on a taller leaner opponent. that pointer won’t guarantee victory in every scenario, but it still somewhat accurately applies to me to this day, after just shy of 10 years pulling.

everyone definitely has a strong or stronger lane. But train to be good in all of them. I say “all” of them…. But there is really only 3 lanes in my opinion. Inside, outside, and side pressure. Side pressure isn’t necessarily inside or outside, and can best be described as it’s own lane. Lol!

I would agree that a substantial amount of chest and front delt strength is almost mandatory for competent inside pulling. So if your not pressing as part of your routine, it’s natural to feel a little vulnerable in a hook.

some pullers may disagree on the press training. But since I’ve been benching, my shoulder and inside game all around feels much more stable than when I wasn’t pressing.

Press training might be silly for pullers who already happen to have a strong bench, but I have never spent serious time benching and it's apparent that it's a huge weakness of mine. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 6:34 AM, Climber028 said:

Press training might be silly for pullers who already happen to have a strong bench, but I have never spent serious time benching and it's apparent that it's a huge weakness of mine. 

lol, yep. Always seems like the arm wrestlers that say benching doesn’t help all have pretty substantial bench strength. Ironic. It’s sort of a funny and interesting note that most of the top supers with the exception of Devon and John all mostly have near 500lb bench presses under their belts.
I would sort of agree that bench isn’t mandatory for table growth though. Not initially anyways. But strength is never a weakness, and weakness is never a strength.

when you power up on the barbell, you will feel the difference on the table.