White Tiger - Let's See What Happens if I Post Workouts

Vinnie

35 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Ironmind approved the application so they will allow me to attempt the cert.  I will remain silent on the process until the attempt is completed and judging rendered.  I will report back here after I either pass or fail it.

Awesome, you'll CRUSH it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Ironmind approved the application so they will allow me to attempt the cert.  I will remain silent on the process until the attempt is completed and judging rendered.  I will report back here after I either pass or fail it.

Excited for you Vinnie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I said I would report back here either way after my cert attempt, and I would have done so if I had failed, so I guess it is only fair that I do so even though I managed to eke it out.  I hope y'all will forgive the boast, because this really means a lot to me, and I want to share it.  For some, this may be an unattainable goal, and for others, it is child's play and their goals are much higher.  For me, it was a serious but not impossible challenge, one that would require effort and attention well beyond mere desire.   I am not always so good at maintaining a regimen, keeping on task, and just plain working hard toward a goal.  But for this, I did keep on task and I did work hard.  I saw and thrived on slow, methodical progress, and I struck while the iron (mind) was hot.  And it feels so good.

https://ironmind.com/news/Vincent-Rivellese-Certifies-on-the-Captains-of-Crush-No.-3-Gripper/?fbclid=IwAR1qf9v4NWB3T5-1TvSN_a7vvyGrscuQQlcKGa3a3xr3apf2v_84CPiGEC4

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations you made it look easy. At 53 gives me a glimmer of hope outstanding dedication so happy for you.

• Like 1

Congratulations and welcome to the club of certified number 3 closers.

• Like 1

Vinnie, Awesome certification and huge congratulations. 

• Like 1

Congrats man that’s awesome!

• Like 1

Great job Vin! 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:43 PM, Vinnie said:

I saw and thrived on slow, methodical progress

Nothing feels better than seeing it take form. Keeps us grip nerds coming back for more 

• Like 1

From my first post on this board in October 2017:

"I would like to use what I learn here and elsewhere to help guide me toward taking a stab at certifying on the COC 3.  Everyone says it, few do it, and I have no idea if I'll ever succeed."

:)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

From my first post on this board in October 2017:

"I would like to use what I learn here and elsewhere to help guide me toward taking a stab at certifying on the COC 3.  Everyone says it, few do it, and I have no idea if I'll ever succeed."

:)

Inspiring!💪💪

• Like 1

I want to set a new goal.  What should it be?  I'll make my own choice of course, but I am open to ideas since I haven't made the choice yet.  I want to have at least one gripper goal in mind, because I am going to be moving a lot in the next few months and will not have access to a lot of grip equipment.  Grippers I can train at home or work without much trouble.  But I'd like a non-gripper goal as well and have a couple in mind.  Please chime in with ideas or comments if you have any.

Here is where I am at, for reference to which goals make sense:

GRIPPERS:

COC -- the 3 was a dream to achieve.  The 3.5 with a CCS may be impossible given my age and size, but I won't rule out ever trying.  I did MMS my first (light) 3.5 just this year.  But this is not an immediate goal; I'd have to hit some other goals first.

MM -- I did MM2 a while ago, and it was hard.  I have not advanced more than 3 or 4 pounds RGC since then.  MM3 is supposed to be over 180 RGC, so it is a more distant goal if ever realistic, and not one I am immediately training for.

GHP -- I did the GHP 7 cert a while ago, for one rep.  Given my recent CCS training and the fact that the GHP block is narrower than a credit card, I am pretty sure I can add a rep or more to that, and that is something I can attempt by video any time.  Thus, it is out there and I may try it whenever, but I am not going to make that a specific long term goal since I will just add a rep whenever it is doable and fits in.  GHP 8 is enough harder that I want to hit closer goals first, and won't think about the 8 until I have several easy reps on the 7.

Silver Bullet -- I have gotten 11 or 12 seconds on COC 3.5 silver bullets over and over in comps, and recently got a couple of seconds on a COC 4 in training a couple of times.  I will be attempting a COC 4 silver bullet hold at Gripmas this December 11 and undoubtedly will update here how that goes.  Getting an official comp statistic on the COC 4 is a real, attainable, immediate goal for sure.  

So for grippers, I think the idea has to be: increase reps on GHP 7 and get on the board with silver bullet time on a COC 4, with GHP 8, MM3, and COC 3.5 not ruled out as long term goals.

OTHER GRIP OR STRENGTH GOALS:

Crushed to Dust Challenge -- I made an official attempt at this at the West Virginia Arm Lifting Comp "Hillbilly Hand Wars" in 2019.  The warm-up RT was an old caked one, and 200 went up -- but at the time, my best comp number on a modern RT was 167.  Needless to say, after warm-ups, I knew there was going to be a real RT in play.  So I did a couple of TNS reps with a COC 2 in each hand, did some showy hub pulls way higher than need be with each hand, and then proved that the RT loading pin was glued to the floor.  No air, no slide, just glue.  200 on a real, current RT is just HARD.  Now, in 2021, I pulled 177 in comp on a RT.  I don't know if it was a good, modern RT, because I never pulled that in practice.  But let's say all my gripper work transferred some gains to RT.  Do I have even 23 more pounds in me?  This is something I'd like to go for.  Like I said of the COC 3 cert 4 years ago, I have no idea if I will ever get there.  But it seems like a goal I should not disregard.

Inch Dumbbell -- I imagine that, although slightly different in the mechanics, lifting the Inch is probably right around the same difficulty as lifting 200 on a newer RT, and possibly a little harder.  This may vary a little from person to person of course, because hand size and wrist strength may play a little differently on each.  I have lifted thick bar circus bells up to around the 140 range and can get no air as yet on bells close in weight to the Inch.  I would love to lift the Inch once in my life, so this goal is not ruled out, but I think chasing crushed to dust first makes sense and will keep me on track to do this later anyway.

Bench Press -- Not a grip goal, but I bench pressed 200 pounds for the first time when I was 50.  All my life before that I never could -- not that I was ever working for it, but any time I tried it, I was always stopped between 180 and 190ish.  At 50 I said enough, I trained bench (and not grip) for 6 weeks, and I got a good, solid rep at 200.  Do I want to chase 225, so I can say, "two plates" like the cool gym people?  This might be attainable, but not sure I care that much.  Any reason to do it to enhance grip activity?

Deadlift -- My max on the axle (in a 2021 comp) is 308.  It was my fourth attempt - and I stood there holding it for a few, to be silly, and then slowly and gingerly set it down without a thud.  Truth is, my hands were not why my axle max is 308.  My deadlift max with any bar, any grip, straps or not, is about 315 -- because it is my body that can't pull the weight, not my hands.  I am pretty sure that my hands will do 330-350.  I just can't move that weight off the ground.  So naturally, it would make sense to train deadlift.  I know this.  I'd improve my axle lifts for sure.  The concern here is mechanics.  I had back surgery in 2008, and I am a bit afraid of injury.  I'll go and do a max deadlift once in a while in a comp, and I will strain out a tortured rep near my max to get my score up, but I am not excited about applying myself to deadlifts regularly (squats even worse!).  308 is not embarrassing, even though I know the grip aspect is not what's limiting me and there is more potential there, so I am hesitant to risk injury.  I might take a pass on chasing a higher axle for this reason.  But ideas welcome.

Pinch -- My Euro max in comp was 194.  200 would be nice.  I also got 187 on a 3-inch Saxon Bar, so 200 on that would be a nice goal as well.  But pinching two 45s would be a cool feat goal to chase.  I did two 35s in each hand once early in my grip "career" (i.e. 3 or 4 years ago lol), and thought 2 45s must not be far off.  But those stay on the floor like a new Rolling Thunder with 200 attached!  

Anyway, all of the above is me ruminating because I have no real direction in grip at the moment.  I think I need my next inspiration.  COC 3 was so exciting and I should chase something else.

Thoughts?

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 3

I'm 53 now and still to master anything much just feel weaker by the day. I follow your progress with interest you are giving me and I'm sure many of the young pups motivation by the bucket full. 

The two 45's would be a great feat to master.

Going for a crushed to dust is something that could happen maybe more heavy lifting in general would be needed to break sticking points for that and if moving around might not be practical.

You have mentioned the silver bullet a few times and could tell on the video you made it was something that you enjoyed doing.

• Like 1