White Tiger - Let's See What Happens if I Post Workouts

Vinnie

Yesterday, MMS workout mostly because:  Michael (Kluv#0) and I figured out that we each have a gripper the other could use, and are trading temporarily to make that use.  I have a COC 3.5 rated 165, and he would like to close a COC 3.5, so I am sending him that; and he has a COC 3 rated 147, and I would like to try CCS-ing that puppy because it is a little harder than the 143 I have been CCS closing more consistently but I am not able to CCS my 152 (yet!).

Since I have been holed up in my office all week and unable to ship out the 165 before yesterday (it is going out today bc I am finally out of the office), I did an MMS workout with the sole purpose of giving the 165 my best shot before I ship it out.  Note that I, too, have never closed a 3.5, and historically, Michael does gripper feats just before I do (he preceded me by a few months with MM1 and MM2, and I saw him close a 165 Standard recently on vid, which is the RGC number I am currently chasing).

So in the afternoon in my office I did my usual TNS warmups with 10 Trainer, 5 COC 2, left and right.

Then I did one TNS with my COC 2.5 rated 132 righty and one MMS with it lefty.

Then two sets of 3 MMS reps righty with my COC 3 rated 143 (I've been using that for CCS singles lately).

Then a single with Chez's Tetting MM2 replica rated 160.

Then this single attempt at the COC 3.5 rated 165 that I am about to send out to Michael in about a half hour:

It is in fact possible that I got this for a split second and just can't see it on vid, but I will assume no because I want it to be undeniable and I know I will get a much stronger attempt and better vid after Michael crushes it next week.  And I tried it again a couple more times off vid and didn't get any closer than this.  So I will go back to my CCS workouts until we trade grippers back later this year.  I'll use my Standard 162 and 164 in its place until it comes home.

Not a crazy workout, but I got some good work in.

Also FYI, at midnight last night, when I got home, I saw that Michael's COC 3 rated 147 had arrived.  I opened it and, without warm-up and without chalking up, I managed a solid MMS close even though it was late, I was tired, and I had already worked out earlier.

I was no stronger than this when I got MM2 last year, and I feel like I am improving.  It's a good feeling and hopefully I can get to that elusive IM cert in the next few months to a year!

• Like 5

Vinnie, so awesome on your COC 3.5 attempt - it looked closed at :43  For you to close big grippers at BWT 175 ish and 52 years young is so freakin impressive. I look forward to arrival of grippers🙏 Keep killing it Vinnie and I look forward to seeing you become 2nd man in history over 50 years of age to cert on the COC # 3 💪

Edited by Kluv#0
Had wrong BWT plus correction
  • Like 5

I forgot to mention you kick butt on SB too. Demolishing two experienced men who outweighed you by 135- 210lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!💯

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

I look forward to seeing you become first man in history over 50 years of age to cert on the COC # 3

Wait seriously? I would be the first over 50?  Lighting a fire there man ... that would be some honor! 

11 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Wait seriously? I would be the first over 50?  Lighting a fire there man ... that would be some honor! 

I made a mistake - Richard Sorin was the first. You will be in very strong company 👍💪⭐

Edited by Kluv#0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

I forgot to mention you kick butt on SB too. Demolishing two experienced men who outweighed you by 135- 210lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!💯

I'm not gonna lie, that was a good feeling to win that event, and they were super cool about it, too - of course they both beat me on every other event lol.  Still it was cool to be third out of 10 or so, and first on my fave event of the comp.

I also beat Jedd on grippers at Gripmas two years in a row (well, one year was TNS gripper and the other year was dyno reading, but that is like grippers), and that was about the same cool how it felt even though of course Jedd also beat me at every other event (however:  Gripmas this year is silver bullet.  Jedd's got me there.  I don't think I can get a hold on a 4 at all, and he does that for 20+ seconds ...).

Yeah, I always say this when people say "oh you can do anything, just try, no one can tell you something is out of reach" etc.:  HOGWASH.  There are things that can't be done.  No one can TNS a 4.  No one.  Humanly impossible.  And ok, if I am wrong on that, then just substitute GHP 10, but point being:  there are limits.  And for a guy over 50 and under 200 pounds, the limits are a little lower than a guy who is 30 and weighs 250 all muscle.  It's not a stigma, to be smaller and not as strong.  You work with what you have.  I can be proud of what I can do with what I've got even if it isn't better than everyone else in the world.  I will never cert the 4.  But, there is a chance I can cert the 3.  Maybe, maybe not.  It is realistic but will take work and maybe a little luck.  I'm gonna go for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

I made a mistake - Richard Sorin was the first. 

Maybe that was before CCS requirement.

Also, if he was over 50 at the time, maybe less over 50 than I will be when (if) I get it.  I'm already 52.  I anticipate I will either get it in the next year or so, or not at all, so let's say 53.  Do you know how old he was?

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

it looked closed at :43

I am not entirely sure it wasn't closed, at 43 or just before it went in camera, but I won't count it as a done deed until I am entirely sure it WAS closed.  For my own knowledge, this attempt, whether successful or not, means I CAN do this gripper.  That is especially so because whenever I am trying to do it for the camera, I lose a hair of success because I am distracted trying to make sure it is visible.

The reason I even tried it is that another lawyer came into my office and was asking about the grippers, and the ratings on them, and I told him the 165 was harder than I've ever done but a good gripper for silver bullet, and when explaining what silver bullet was, I showed him with that gripper and I got so deep and near closed before I put in the bullet that I was like whoa, I might be able to close this gripper today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

another lawyer came into my office

He couldn't even close the trainer.  He is, however, a world-class rower, and I am not sure the weight classes but very light weight - he must be under 140.  He is chasing a world record for over 30 at his weight.  Excellent athlete, just not at grip strength.

• Like 2

I am not entirely sure it wasn't closed, at 43 or just before it went in camera, but I won't count it as a done deed until I am entirely sure it WAS closed.  For my own knowledge, this attempt, whether successful or not, means I CAN do this gripper.  That is especially so because whenever I am trying to do it for the camera, I lose a hair of success because I am distracted trying to make sure it is visible.

The reason I even tried it is that another lawyer came into my office and was asking about the grippers, and the ratings on them, and I told him the 165 was harder than I've ever done but a good gripper for silver bullet, and when explaining what silver bullet was, I showed him with that gripper and I got so deep and near closed before I put in the bullet that I was like whoa, I might be able to close this gripper today.

Great point about losing a smidge trying for camera visibility. 

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Also, if he was over 50 at the time, maybe less over 50 than I will be when (if) I get it.  I'm already 52.  I anticipate I will either get it in the next year or so, or not at all, so let's say 53.  Do you know how old he was?

In 2016 interview I just saw Richard was 65. In 2007 He certed under CCS rules and so 56.

• Like 2

Great point about losing a smidge trying for camera visibility. 

Unless something is in comp or for cert, it just means to me whatever it tells me.  This attempt to me, whether closed or not, was close enough that it means that this gripper is within my ability.  If not that attempt, I will get it soon.  Also, my silver bullet PR is 12 seconds on a 3.5, but it was an easy 3.5.  I was MUCH more proud of the 11 seconds on the 3.5 in the Washington comp, because that was a harder 3.5.  I will only get bogged down in "was it closed" type of thinking for official purposes.  Hence, I am proud of this one either way.

• Like 1

In 2016 interview I just saw Richard was 65. In 2007 He certed under CCS rules and so 56.

Well, it would be risky to wait that long just to make a point.  If I feel ready I will strike while iron is hot.  Maybe I will be oldest under 180 pounds lol.

• Like 1

Unless something is in comp or for cert, it just means to me whatever it tells me.  This attempt to me, whether closed or not, was close enough that it means that this gripper is within my ability.  If not that attempt, I will get it soon.  Also, my silver bullet PR is 12 seconds on a 3.5, but it was an easy 3.5.  I was MUCH more proud of the 11 seconds on the 3.5 in the Washington comp, because that was a harder 3.5.  I will only get bogged down in "was it closed" type of thinking for official purposes.  Hence, I am proud of this one either way.

Unrelated question - do you ever blackout on grippers? I did again this A.M. I must hold breath incorrectly 

23 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Unrelated question - do you ever blackout on grippers? I did again this A.M. I must hold breath incorrectly 

Never.  I did get dizzy after my Saxon Bar lift in the Washington comp, but not blackout.

• Like 1

Vinnie you can close that #3 for the cert - I believe in you!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Vinnie you can close that #3 for the cert - I believe in you!

Thank you, Chris!  For a while I felt plateaued and thought I could never get that much better, but wow, I have added about 10-15 pounds to my max close in the last 18 months or so.  I might have a shot soon.

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Richard was first to cert then did it again when they made the rule change- which I think he’s the only coc who did both certs? 

• Like 1

9-27-2021 LUNCH BREAK WORKOUT

Warmup:

10 TNS Trainer, right and left, and some quick clicks MMS also

3 TNS COC 2, right and left, and a few MMS

1 TNS COC 2.5 rated 132 righty, 1 MMS with it lefty

Work:

(all below is right hand; in between right-handed work, for left hand I did failed attempts at MMS singles with COC 3 rated 143, some getting pretty close, and COC 2.5 rated 132, made those)

1 CCS single with COC rated 147 righty, PR!  Vid here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVQU6SAZt1DkkjC2H8JAvnW_sc0wam5vAy5Ps0/

3 CCS attempts with COC rated 152 righty, missed, but really close so I felt good about it bc I did not think I was even going to get the 147, and that was actually pretty solid.

1 MMS single with Chez's Tetting MM2 replica rated 160

1 single with COC 3.5 rated 165 chokered to parallel (tried for double, failed pretty close to second rep)

1 MMS attempt with COC  3.5 rated 168, failed, not terribly close

1 MMS single with the MM2 replica

1 wide but not CCS single with COC 3 rated 152

1 MMS double with COC 3 rated 147

1 attempted TNS with COC 3 rated 143 (what was I thinking lol), failed

1 attempted MMS single with the MM2 replica I closed earlier, failed, looks like I am a little fried.

Might pick up a couple grippers later, I sometimes do a couple of good closes a couple hours after a gripper workout, and I am gonna be cooped up in my office all night preparing for a federal court argument tomorrow, so who knows.  Maybe another good close in me after some rest but the above was enough either way.

Cheers all

• Like 7

Vinnie, Strong CCS #3 along with very nice gripper workout💪

• Like 2

10-2-2021 workout at home -- a little light because we had houseguests (my brother and his wife came for a few days to help mom clean out her house; I am moving out when she sells, moving in with my girlfriend).

warmup: trainer, 1.5, 2, TNS and MMS, both hands, didn't really count

1 TNS righty on COC 2.5 rated 132; one MMS lefty

1 CCS righty on COC 3 rated 147; lefty, one attempt at MMS close of Tetting rated 140, not sure I got it (that is my PR lefty, sometimes get it)

3 CCS attempts righty on COC 3 rated 152; first was close, next two less close (did more MMS attempts lefty on the Tetting in between)

Triple MMS with the COC 3 rated 147; failed on fourth rep attempt, close

Single MMS with COC 3 rated 152; failed on second rep attempt, close

Single attempt (failed) with chokered 3.5 rated 165; I have gotten this before.  I was tired and distracted with company, was doing grippers in between socializing

I hardly if ever mention this, but I try to do expand hand bands at night after gripper workouts and also some random nights I didn't work out.  Did that tonight.  I usually do 100 each hand with harder bands (red or blue Ironmind, I also have another brand I like better where the hard one is black, forget the name).

I've been doing ONLY grippers for about 2 months now, and it seems to be showing in the result, although who knows what other events I am ruining lol.  What I've been forgetting is that I like to do a little light sledge stuff the day before I do grippers, as I may have noticed correlation with better gripper days when I do that.  But lately most of my workouts have been while I was sleeping in my office, so no sledges there.  I'll try to remember to do them when I am home.

• Like 3

Vinnie have you tried RRBT training for grippers? I've had a lot of success every time I've run it (3x, but not necessarily to completion). I was thinking it might be just the thing to push you over the edge to the #3 cert, esp if you're only able to knock out gripper closes in the office.

Most notably I was 1/4" from closing my GHP7 and got a triple with it after the program and was also able to close a few unrated #3s. The strength stays too, or has for me.

Anyways, highly recommended from me and the program is actually a pretty low injury risk compared to something like KTA.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rphilton said:

Vinnie have you tried RRBT training for grippers? I've had a lot of success every time I've run it (3x, but not necessarily to completion). I was thinking it might be just the thing to push you over the edge to the #3 cert, esp if you're only able to knock out gripper closes in the office.

Most notably I was 1/4" from closing my GHP7 and got a triple with it after the program and was also able to close a few unrated #3s. The strength stays too, or has for me.

Anyways, highly recommended from me and the program is actually a pretty low injury risk compared to something like KTA.

I've heard of KTA but what's RRBT? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rphilton said:

I bought it two years ago or so, but I didn't get into it because I was so interested in going to comps and it sort of messes with training other stuff.  I should reactivate it, if that's possible -- I might have to check my old emails and see my code/password/whatnot, or ask Bill Piche.  This is a good time, since I really won't be training anything else for a few months, even Gripmas in December I won't really be training for, just showing up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stranger said:

I've heard of KTA but what's RRBT? 

Hi Stranger it's a (very) high rep gripper program...the acronym stands for Radical Reps Baseline Training. The entire program is geared towards building up to a high volume of regular gripper closes, i.e. no negatives, over crushes, etc.

I think it's sold at the same place as KTA.

I recommend it...never got hurt using it but also never completed it entirely. I quit when I had had enough. I actually was able to hit my gripper PRs while running the program so I sort of knew when I had enough bc I hit some big PRs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1