White Tiger - Let's See What Happens if I Post Workouts

Vinnie

4 minutes ago, rphilton said:

Hi Stranger it's a (very) high rep gripper program...the acronym stands for Radical Reps Baseline Training. The entire program is geared towards building up to a high volume of regular gripper closes, i.e. no negatives, over crushes, etc.

I think it's sold at the same place as KTA.

I recommend it...never got hurt using it but also never completed it entirely. I quit when I had had enough. I actually was able to hit my gripper PRs while running the program so I sort of knew when I had enough bc I hit some big PRs.

Gottcha, thank you. 

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I bought it two years ago or so, but I didn't get into it because I was so interested in going to comps and it sort of messes with training other stuff.  I should reactivate it, if that's possible -- I might have to check my old emails and see my code/password/whatnot, or ask Bill Piche.  This is a good time, since I really won't be training anything else for a few months, even Gripmas in December I won't really be training for, just showing up.

Cool interested to see how it works for you if you run it. I think I'll run the week long "Base Blast" or whatever from the RRBT forum myself between Christmas and New Years when we're off work.

• Like 1

I forgot to post Wednesday - worked out at Anton's, with Jose and Anthony (Jose was up on business).  I focused on grippers and just did the King Kong implements socially, not even sure what I did on them.  In between gripper sets.

On grippers: I used Anton's grippers; he has some in every range, but not always the same RGC and make as what I use at home, so it as fun sifting through and deciding which ones to use.  There are some in there I remember being intimidated by and not bothering to try that I can close now, like his GHP7 rated 151 and something rated 156 (I think a COC3 but might have been a Tetting).  Also, my Mash Monster Zero gripper was his, a COC 3 rated 145, that I had used because at the time I started grippers I only owned a 153 that I couldn't close yet.

So I warmed up with light stuff under 100.  Then I did a TNS righty with a 2.5 rated 132 that I traded to Anton a couple years ago because I happened to have 2 of them (weird two being so high!).  The TNS was strong, so I figured I would have a good day.  I closed it lefty pretty wide set (not CCS).

For CCS, I went straight to Anton's COC 3 rated 148 bc my CCS PR was 147.  Now it's 148.  I did two solid CCS with that, and then I tried his 153.  Failed that one 3 times, but three good attempts and pretty close, all less than 1/8 inch.

Also, Anton has a COC 4 rated 204.  So, that's not a terribly heavy 4 (relatively speaking, since they are all bricks except for the RGC 115 one Joe Kinney had), and I have never before been able to get a silver bullet hold on a 4, and Gripmas is coming ... so, I tried the 4 thinking geez, how cocky is this, no way I will get a hold on this, but ... BAM!  The other guys were benching, and I just screamed out, "Guys, the 4!  I got the 4!  Look!"  While still holding it.  They looked over and I held it another second or two before it dropped.  Easily had it 4 to 5 seconds.  But of course, vid or it didn't happen. So I waited a few minutes (not long enough they told me) and tried again on vid.

Vid here:

Comments I received after on Insta were that I should leg set and it took me a little long to insert the bullet (that's what SHE said, yada yada).  Maybe, but that will come with time (that's what HE said, yada yada).  My issue was getting a hold on the thing at all, and now it seems that it is not just possible, but that's where I have to be trying for silver bullet - this was a solid two seconds even with the bad set (and I had just done 4 or 5 before).  So, I should be able to do longer, or if it's a harder 4, at least do 2 seconds.  Looking forward to getting on the board with a 4 at Gripmas, and in arm lifting comps soon thereafter.

Short workout because everyone had to go, but worth it.  Will try some more CCS tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 5

Just the sheer strain in your face shows just how difficult this feat is! Wow over 200+RGC on the SB is life goals haha. Amazing job Vinnie! Must have been on cloud nine 😀

Any chance do you know if using the leg to set the gripper is legal in grip comps? I checked the Armlifting SB rules and didn't see any mention of it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Just the sheer strain in your face shows just how difficult this feat is! Wow over 200+RGC on the SB is life goals haha. Amazing job Vinnie! Must have been on cloud nine 😀

Any chance do you know if using the leg to set the gripper is legal in grip comps? I checked the Armlifting SB rules and didn't see any mention of it. 

Leg set is legit, yes.  I'm told I should try it.  Next time!

• Like 1

Had a lousy workout Sunday - I could not even MMS my COC 3 rated 152 after warming up, or CCS my 143.  Just an off day, I guess, or maybe not enough rest since previous workout, or some other anomaly.  Usually I am better than that even without warm up and chalk.

Today I got my Covid booster (3rd Pfizer shot).  I think I am going to see if despite that, I am better than Sunday ... if I get anywhere with it, I will post again later or edit here.  If not, I will blame the shot and try again in a few days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Had a lousy workout Sunday - I could not even MMS my COC 3 rated 152 after warming up, or CCS my 143.  Just an off day, I guess, or maybe not enough rest since previous workout, or some other anomaly.  Usually I am better than that even without warm up and chalk.

Today I got my Covid booster (3rd Pfizer shot).  I think I am going to see if despite that, I am better than Sunday ... if I get anywhere with it, I will post again later or edit here.  If not, I will blame the shot and try again in a few days.

Well, better than Sunday!  I did my usual warmups with TNS on Trainer, 1.5, and 2.  Then I did a CCS close with a COC 3 rated 143, and failed a lefty MMS.  Then I did a CCS close of a COC 3 rated 147, and failed 143 MMS lefty.  Then I did a CCS close of a COC 3 rated 152, PR!  Then I went to the vid and tried again.  Looks good except I did not get the credit card fully into view when I set it.  So I will be striving for a better vid.  But 152 is 9 pounds better than a month ago.  I hope I can push it just a little more, and I will sign up!  I tried to vid it again two more times and failed.  Then I felt a little fried (maybe the vax kicking in, not terrible but a little tired).  Anyway, glad I aborted Sunday, this was a good short workout.  Saturday I should do some more.

• Like 6

Vinnie, Congrats on the huge CCS #3 152!! Super impressive 💪💪💪💪💪

• Like 3

I changed my name in the title to "white tiger" because I had previously used my full name, and it was coming up on google searches, which I don't need.  So, I am using the nick name my grip buddies gave me, which I have always liked anyway.

Yesterday I did a little maintenance work, closed a few grippers CCS (143, 147, failed 152 a few times except maybe got it once) and MMS (4 reps with 147!  That was good; only 2 with 152).  Not a full workout.  Same today.  That's just what I felt.  I think this weekend I will do a more robust session.

• Like 5

Saturday I did more MMS than CCS, sometimes I just gotta go with my heart lol.

-warmed up with 10 TNS with COC Trainer, 5 TNS with COC 1.5, 3 TNS with COC 2 each hand

-I went for MMS each hand on COC 3 rated 143, and just barely missed lefty, which would have been a PR.  I have been flirting with that gripper lefty for a while and thought I might have it that day, but alas, then I made a vid and didn't get as close, although I did CCS it righty.

-7 MMS reps righty with COC 3 rated 143 (rep PR)

-4 reps with COC 3 rated 147 (rep PR)

-3 reps with COC 3 rated 152 (not sure that is a rep PR, but got close to 4th).

-1 rep, I think a well enough documented one, with COC 3.5 rated 165:

I also failed a couple of CCS attempts with the 152, but I was very happy with the MMS workout and was feeling that.

Next workout should be Thursday in office, hopefully CCS attempts with 152.  I want to get consistent with that for CCS and then I will request the cert attempt.

• Like 5

No big workout Thursday as planned or Saturday, instead little workouts both days with just a few CCS.

I requested the IM cert.  They sent back a questionnaire and requested a video of me closing a 3 from a credit card set.  I had just seen that they want a very clear video of both the set and the close, so I made one right then.  Here it is:  

This is a COC 3 (rated 145), with a very long, pronounced showing of the credit card set (I actually put the card further up the handle, left a little space, and held it there, hoping it is clear that I was wide enough), and close up of the close (close is clearest at 17-18 sec).   Hopefully they will judge me a worthy applicant.  I always get a boost from the rush on game day, so if they send it, it will happen ...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

No big workout Thursday as planned or Saturday, instead little workouts both days with just a few CCS.

I requested the IM cert.  They sent back a questionnaire and requested a video of me closing a 3 from a credit card set.  I had just seen that they want a very clear video of both the set and the close, so I made one right then.  Here it is:  

This is a COC 3 (rated 145), with a very long, pronounced showing of the credit card set (I actually put the card further up the handle, left a little space, and held it there, hoping it is clear that I was wide enough), and close up of the close (close is clearest at 17-18 sec).   Hopefully they will judge me a worthy applicant.  I always get a boost from the rush on game day, so if they send it, it will happen ...

Strong close Vinnie! You are on doorstep of history and much deserving.

• Like 2

No need to rush. There should be no problem with something in the 150’s to give it a go. But if you’re confident, only Iron Mind can stop you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Solid close man. Even held it open what seemed like forever to get the credit card on video. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I‘m extremely excited about your IM Cert attempt! That was a very solid close, especially after holding it in the CCS position for so long! Hopefully IM replies soon. Best of luck!!! :) 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 12:45 PM, Vinnie said:

Yesterday I fiddled with grippers.  I did some warm ups with a trainer, then a 1.5, then a 2, both hands.  I usually do TNS for some of these warmups, but then MMS for the actual workout unless otherwise noted.

Then I did:

COC 2.5 (CPW 117) for 1 rep lefty, 2 reps right

COC 2.5 (CPW 132) for 1 rep lefty, 2 reps right

Tetting (CPW 140) failed lefty, 2 reps right

Then I returned to COC 2.5 for singles lefty when I did the following righty:

COC 3 (CPW 143) for 5 reps 

COC 3 (152) for 1 rep

Grip Genie 5 (155) for 1 rep

COC 3.5 (165) - failed three attempts at 1 rep; first two attempts were pretty close, last attempt not so good and decided I was fried.

Also, I was doing all this as my girlfriend sat on couch periodically reminding me that I should be either snuggling her or doing my work for the office, since I've been complaining that I have less time for her because I am behind at work, and she is right.

My takeaway from this was that I have never closed a 3 for more than 3 reps before, and this was 4 solid reps and a barely on the 5th with my 143.  I think I can make that a working gripper for sets.  If I can start doing MMS sets with a COC 3, I think I can move my baseline up a bit - at my best before now, I was using my 140 Tetting for that.  I'd like to push a little harder on grippers since they are my strength and I am not that intense.  It would be cool to have a shot at the IM cert.

Repping a Coc No.3 is plain awesome. I'm still yet to get there but the thought alone is exciting :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slazbob said:

No need to rush. There should be no problem with something in the 150’s to give it a go. But if you’re confident, only Iron Mind can stop you.

I can usually do 152 in practice lately, and I am always at my best on "game day" (comp, cert attempt, etc.).  So I am pretty confident, and would like to strike while I am peaking, but I know what you mean.  It would look bad to fail.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I can usually do 152 in practice lately, and I am always at my best on "game day" (comp, cert attempt, etc.).  So I am pretty confident, and would like to strike while I am peaking, but I know what you mean.  It would look bad to fail.

Wouldn’t look bad, just would like to see you do it once. Good luck!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Speaking of Ironmind, I just remembered reading somewhere that the No.4 was originally made as a joke, until one day it was actually crushed. is that true? o: I kinda wonder what the GHP would be , in terms of CoC measurement.. like a Coc#4.5 , or a CoC#5. The fact you're closing anything at 150 + is inspirational, since its slightly closer to 200 than it is 100 ! :D (( fun fact. i was typing this out because i thought my post above was being quoted, and then i realized it wasn't . lol. oh well xD )) 

• Like 1

It will be great to get this monkey off your back Vin. The video looked clear and dominant! Hopefully Ironmind see it the same way. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slazbob said:

Wouldn’t look bad, just would like to see you do it once. Good luck!

• Like 3

Just now, Vinnie said:

I don't vid everything I do, because being conscious of trying to get it on vid always knocks a little off my performance.  It is much easier when someone else vids, or just watches.

Ironmind approved the application so they will allow me to attempt the cert.  I will remain silent on the process until the attempt is completed and judging rendered.  I will report back here after I either pass or fail it.

• Like 10