Bending legend, where has he gone?

Benedikt Farsmann

Hello guys!

I was going through FBBC's rankings and noticed that a name seems to be missing.

To be honest I don't remember his name really but he was some gentleman from the UK (I believe) who went crazy on bending bare handed without wraps back in the day. He was all over the list and dominated pretty much every bending discipline, there were plenty of videos on the net, but I don't seem to find him or any of the videos, or am I just dumb?

He is some middle aged dude with tattoos and short hair.

Who is he? What happened?

Gary ”Gazza” always deleted his videos. He’d make an appearance stay for 1-2 months and post absolutely insane bends on levels that no one’s been close to since. Then he’d delete everything and disappear for 6 months or so before the next appearance where he’d post even crazier bends. He did this from 2007-2011 where he made a final appearance. After some fights online and a good amount of trolling from Gary he made a final video where he announced he’d quit bending forever. A year or two later he entered a grip comp at David Horne and that’s about the last time I ever heard or saw anything about the guy.

Myself and many others of the time believed that he faked his bends. Especially toward the end where things just got insane. If he was for real then he bent stuff MUCH harder in minimal wraps than people do today with big double wraps. I don’t remember exactly everything, but they were so far beyond it’s hard to believe. 

I think the main reasons why people still believe the stuff he bent is because of two reasons:

1. Stainless from FBBC is often MUCH easier today then it was back then. Back then you were basically ready to bend Edgins when you could finish 5/16 stainless. I believe I’ve seen recent numbers as low as 420 at 7” when back then stainless were 540-590 at 7”. If all you know is the easy stainless you’d assume Gazza’s bends were easier than they actually were.

2. Only a few videos from 2007 remain. There’s a video of Gazza bending a 4” 5/16” stainless and a 6” 3/8” stainless. People think this is the best he bent but it’s nowhere near close to what he did. I remember a 3” 5/16” stainless and even a medley where he bent a 7”, 6.5”, 6”, 5.5”, and 5” 3/8” stainless, all in succession with lightly chalked Ironmind pads. Remember, this was hard stainless, much harder than for instance a gold nail would be cut to 5”. And that’s still not approaching what he did later. 

I’ve heard that some say there was never any videos of this and that’s why people doubt him. But no, there was actually videos of this. Gary posted videos of almost all of his claims. Pretty well documented to be honest. Yet I still believe they were fake. 

• Like 2

I have a few of Gazza's bends on my gym wall that he sent me - an English railroad Spike (smaller than American) and a couple others that are absolutely nuts if real.

• 2 weeks later...

If Gazza were to ever reupload those clips (and there were quite a few - including a some DU) it would make a kinney thread look like a storm in a tea cup.

Call me naive, but never I stopped to consider they might be fake.  Some were actually quite painful to watch - the bloke never seemed to let initial real pain and obvious discomfort stop him cold and he'd keep repeatedly hitting a bar long after even the most addicted bender would have given up.  He didn't finish every bend attempt that he posted - but they sure proved he could progress.

Those (unfakeable) FBBC certs speak for themselves.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

Some were actually quite painful to watch - the bloke never seemed to let initial real pain and obvious discomfort stop him cold and he'd keep repeatedly hitting a bar long after even the most addicted bender would have given up. 

I distinctly remember the few videos which were seemingly filmed in a field behind his house. If memory serves they were some of his shortest bends; just brutal little bars. Possibly sent to him in identifiable wrappings by @bencrush. Gazza took great care to open the package on film, remove the bars from the tamper-evident wrappings, measure the bars, show if they were stainless or not, then proceeded to bend them. No cuts in the video and nothing ever left the frame. And you're absolutely right.. those bends were quite painful to watch.  

• Like 2

The only video I could find. A few cuts in it. Wish I could have seen the others. 

I had thought he had all the measuring etc. on most of his videos?  Back then, I sure don't remember anyone or any big discussion or accusations of him faking the bends. Maybe my memory fails me?

• Like 2

I'm just a meme lord, but it's kinda suspect that all his top bends were done with stainless and not crs. I would think a 3/8 x 7" stainless should be WAY harder than a gold nail

AddText_08-14-07.24.51.jpg

• Haha 6

Yeah, the gold would be an absolute joke compared to 7x7/16 stainless. Had Gazza been for real he would no doubt have reversed and DU’d the gold easily in ironmind pads, wraps touching in the middle.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

He had some amazing bends for sure! 

However, I have to agree with David. 
some of his top bends were too crazy to believe!