Plate curls : form

Guest Cliff Stamp

Cliff, I suspect you haven't gotten an answer to this because nobody knows what strict form is for this lift since it's not exactly a contested event. :)

Cliff,

Here's the rules we will be using in the in the grip comp.

One Hand Plate Curl

For this lift a weightlifting disc that is smooth on one side and flanged on the opposite is used; 20kg, 15kg, 10kg or even 5kg discs may be used. The discs to be used on the day will be Weider discs. Extra weight can be added to the short centre bar, and fastened by collars.

The weight is grasped by one hand, with the four fingers on the smooth side and the thumb on the flanged side. To start, the weight is held at the front of the body and not at the side. Whilst standing, the disc is curled with one hand to the finished position at the shoulder. Once the curl has started, the disc cannot come into contact with any other body part, for example the shoulders, chest or even head if you lose control of it. At the finish of the curl you must await the referees command to lower the disc; lowering it under control and one handed.  Throughout the lift the legs must remain straight.

David

Guest Talons

What about how the plate is held? Such as the plate in line with the forearm versus the plate being out of line with the forearm, obviously approximating the floor. I guess I ask in that in some pictures that I have seen, although very impressive, it seems like one couldn't draw a continuous straight line through the forearm and plate. Admittedly, I do not know if this is part of the criteria of a 'strict' lift, although I would think it should be.

Guest Cliff Stamp

David, thanks for the information. I would be interested as well in the above question about the angle between the plate and the forearm.

-Cliff

I think I'm guessiing that you want to know if the plate extends straight out  along the line of the forearm as it is curled up. Yes it does. It's as strict as a regular dumbell curl. Anyway, we'll see how the event goes at the comp.

David

Guest scotte

David

In the photos of Nick doing a plate curl, he supinates his wrist so the back of his hand is pointing towards the floor.  Is this technique ok for the contest.

I think cliff is refering to a hammer curl style which leaves the top of the thumb pointing straight up (which i find is harder)

(Edited by scotte at 7:58 am on April 16, 2001)

Scott,

Normal curl (supinated grip) will do fine. It's just like a one hand dumbell curl except you're using a disc instead.

David