David Shamey Blows up the MM6 Gripper!

Bill Piche

On to the MM7.  He's looking like a freight train right to the top of the MashMonster ladder. Again, he closed it with BOTH hands.  

• Like 19

I'll be yawning until MM9.  The word "attempt" does not really apply until then lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The ease with which he sets that gripper for the right-hand attempt may be the most mind-blowing thing for me. Looked like me setting a trainer.

• Like 4

David, Congrats. Very strong as always.  You close mm10

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ivan Tikhonov said:

David, Congrats. Very strong as always.  You close mm10

Ivan, what about your MM2 cert?

17 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Ivan, what about your MM2 cert?

In progress 😊

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, Wannagrip said:

On to the MM7.  He's looking like a freight train right to the top of the MashMonster ladder. Again, he closed it with BOTH hands.  

Where is Off Hand 5 and 6 level on mashmonster.com site? 

It was so easy, I wonder why it's not possible to go for multiple grippers at once, international shipping takes pretty long and is expensive. Would be pretty cool to see David climb the ladder in steps of 2-3 :D for David it would probably be no problem at all to do MM7 and MM8 in one session.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Yes I was wondering the same... seems like a waste not to if one is capable. 

This has come up countless times over the years. The answer is always the same, “Everyone goes through the same process. One gripper at a time, no exceptions.”

From a shipping standpoint, there is so much more risk in International delivery. We did think a gripper was lost during one of Freeondie’s (Vano) certs (also Russia). It would be such a catastrophe if a box full of cert grippers went missing.

So it is a good question, but has been put to bed probably 100 times. 🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ivan Tikhonov said:

Where is Off Hand 5 and 6 level on mashmonster.com site? 

I’m not sure he has always submitted off-hand attempts but I guess he did do 6 for sure. @Wannagrip probably just needs time to add. 

3 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

IMO Dave is gonna be the best gripper closet of all time.... if he isn’t already.

This close was so shockingly strong. And he has other great stuff on record. It’s a great point! I’m glad he also locked in the #3.5 cert which was also incredibly impressive. Hard to believe that was already back in 2019. 

• Like 2

Congrats! No any doubts.

I agree with Joe. The passes would undoubtedly contribute to the popularization of MM certification, especially in distant countries.

16 hours ago, Cannon said:

I’m not sure he has always submitted off-hand attempts but I guess he did do 6 for sure. @Wannagrip probably just needs time to add. 

I added those to the page.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

I would imagine it would appeal more to a lot of people who are into grippers . If someone can close high level grippers already, they should be able to choose an MM level more to their abilities. Some wouldn’t want to go through the process of working their way up to where they are already at just to go through the motions . But that’s just my opinion from the outside looking in. The rules are the rules I suppose.....

Two separate questions: (1) tradition and procedure; (2) security of unique, original grippers.  I think (2) is more important: if there is a shipment problem (not at all unlikely), or a dishonest person who is not doing it to compete but to steal (less likely but easily could happen and once is too much), you lose more irreplaceable grippers at once.

If you wanted to dispense with (1) in the interest of saving time and expense for people who can easily pass the lower MMs, you can just do a case by case like IM does with their certs, kind of let the entrants know they have to show they are likely to have a chance.  You don't want to send MM6 to some rando who thinks he's good because he beat a big guy at an arm wrestle and can do 10 reps with his walnut cracker, but if someone has certed GHP 9 and wants to start on MM6, I mean, why not?

I'm also fine with Cannon's explanation that we've been through this 100 times and we aren't changing it, but for my two cents if you want it, I DO NOT THINK ANYONE SHOULD EVER HAVE MORE THAN ONE MM GRIPPER AT A TIME.  That's more a fear of loss than of theft, but both concerns are valid and I think enough to support at least that rule.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:43 AM, Joe Sullivan said:

IMO Dave is gonna be the best gripper closet of all time.... if he isn’t already.

Nathan Holle still the best and best of all time. Best grip of all overall in my  opinion (bolded since some can’t read).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Never said to send more than one at a time... if someone can easily close a 3.5 or a 4 send them one closer to that resistance for sake of time. That’s all. I said send one as close to their ability for times sake. If they fail they fail. If we are talking tradition and procedure Iron Mind changed their cert so tradition and procedure can change with the times.... but anyway, it was just a thought... let’s get back on track to congratulating David.

I wasn't saying you said otherwise, just trying to point out generally that there are two concerns, and the one that really matters is not losing the grippers.  The tradition of having to start at 1 I don't really care about, because it does waste a lot of time.  Yeah, congrats again to David.  Can't wait to see 8 and 9.  

• Like 1