Sledge vs Toproller vs Offset Pronation Trainer Vs Wrist Mace

Leozinho

Trying to develop my pronation/supination/ulnar and radial deviation. 

Don't care for how the resistance curve drops off with the sledge as it approaches vertical and I don't have a rack to use with a Wrist Thingy. 

I'm thinking about these items:

Offset probation trainer.  Mostly solves the resistance curve problem of the sledge

https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/offset-pronation-trainer

Toproller. Looks cool.  I could cut the back half off to use for front/rear levers, I think. 

https://www.armassassinstrengthshop.com/products/toproller?_pos=1&_sid=9cd079e55&_ss=r

Wrist mace.  Works all the angles but with an open grip.  Negative might be that grip strength, not pronation/supination/etc, might be the limiting factor so I'm not hitting the muscles I want to hit as hard.  I dont knwo.  Also has the resistance curve of the sledge since its a straight bar. 

https://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/products/wrist-mace

Did I miss a product?   What do you guys recommend?

Thanks Joe.  I decided to make something similar to the offset pronation trainer, except using 1.5" inner diameter PVC pipe (1.9" outer diameter) with a 45 degree elbow.   A few wraps of electrical tape on the end (sleeve) and my barbell clamps work fine.  

D193347D-2452-488C-A92A-71055AA60D3C.thumb.jpeg.cc46aaf56c4b94816a1e226a3a406ed1.jpeg

No video but here’s a pic. 

It was a 24” piece of PVC (1.5” inner diameter which should be around 1.9 outer) I cut it in two and added the 45 degree angle.  Hose clamp. Electrical tape  is wrapped to get the thickness to 2” so the collar stays put. 

Edited by Leozinho

This is exactly what I made based on a Joe Sullivan Video, but instead of PVC Pipe I used steel plumber's pipe - also same 45 degree, friction tape on the handle, and hose clamps (actually hose clamps on both side of weight plate instead of collars).  Again the advantage of the angle handle vs. the straight bar handle (I think), the fact that it is very easy to change the weight plate, and very easy & low cost to make.

Made one of these a few years ago and have always been a big fan. I already had enough scrape pipe and only needed to purchase the female female connector to make it all work, so almost free. 

20190413_201612.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

radial and ulnar i like isometric holds standing with a sledge hammer.  Pronation and supination you can do isometric with a sledge also.  For dynamic work i prefer bands for supination and pronation.

• 4 months later...

Lean over, bring your elbow up and feel the muscles being used and you can hit them pretty easily. Most importantly you can put the weight on the bottom instead of on the top and this will give you full RoM. So weight on top, rotating the weight outward until hitting vertical, then putting the weight on the bottom and rotating it the rest of the way. Leaning into it as well.
No need to train the full RoM all at once as you can just rotate the weight from one side to the other for reps then put the weight on the other side of the hand. The simple hammer loaded DB or sledge hammer or pickaxe will do. The wrist mace looks interesting and that guy has quite a claw on him so maybe it's good. Globe will build your overall hand pressure nicely, I would get that if anything. Wrapping a mildly fluffy shirt such as an undershirt around for 8 layers or so will do the same thing for the most part though.