Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

Best grip session to date today. Grippers, pinch & wrist wrench today. 

TNS Grippers-1x3 COC S, 1x3 COC T, 1x3 COC 1, 1x3 COC 1.5, 1x3 GG3, 1x3 COC 2 **PR, 3x3 RB adjustable (easy spring levels 8-8, 7-7, 6-6) 

2H 3" Pinch Block-worked up to 1x1(149.2lbs)+ 5 second hold. +4.2lb PR with room to spare! RPE 9.5

2 3/8" Wrist Wrench-6x5(55lbs top set)+5 second hold. Might be a volume PR?

Building good momentum going into 2022. I will keep cycling in TNS grippers with my new goal to TNS triple my Powerball 250 to bridge the gap between my hard GHP 5. TNS'ing my RB adjustable was hard as hell though lol as it has quite a big spread and is a bit of an awkward device(I like it though). Definitely want to do a meet or several in 2022. 

• Like 5

Crushed to Dust training today.

Rolling Thunder-5x5+hold on last rep. Top set was 111lbs

Hub-3x3+hold on last rep. Top set was 35lbs

Axle Reverse Curls-4x10(75lbs)

2 3/8" Wrist Wrench Wrist Curls-4x10(22.5lbs)

I did banded squats and pushups in between every set to mix it up. 

• Like 3

IM Stacker Curls-3 sets(12,10,8 reps)

CCS Grippers-3x5(COC 1.5)

IM Blockbuster-1x1(57lbs) RH & LH 3x3(43lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

IM Stacker Curls-3 sets(12,10,8 reps)

CCS Grippers-3x5(COC 1.5)

IM Blockbuster-1x1(57lbs) RH & LH 3x3(43lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer

Nice work on the blockbuster. Strong lift man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice work on the blockbuster. Strong lift man. 

Thanks man, I hate the thing lol its so slippery. I find it hard to progress on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks man, I hate the thing lol its so slippery. I find it hard to progress on. 

It’s unbelievable how slippery it is.

• Haha 1

MMS Grippers-PB 250x1 RH/LH, GHP 5(122)x1 RH/LH, COC 2.5(132) RH only, GHP 6(134)xPR?

Slow Gripper Closes(maybe 10+ second of TUT)-COC 1 5x1

Axle Reverse Curls-3x10(75lbs)

IM Wrist Roller(2")-3x5(35lbs)

Don't know if my GHP 6 was closed or not but when I pause the video it looks like it may be closed 🤔.

Thanks to everyone on the gripboard for the advice and support. I'm trying to get better at filming these gripper closes. Lately I've been at a crossroads in grip because I'm starting to find it trickier to progress at everything all at once(newb gains are slowly running out). I'm getting closer to my goal of getting the MM0 cert on the gripboard. As a result I'm going to try to manage the thick bar stuff better unfortunately by cutting back on it a bit. I'll likely keep pinching in the rotation and my usual wrist work stuff. I wish I could go ham all the time but I've been listening to my body and studying what other great gripsters are doing to progress on grippers and the consensus seems to be too much thick bar can have a negative impact on gripper progress which makes alot of sense to me. Guess will see what happens. Hope everybodys training is going well 👊

Edited by Bigfoot Grip
  • Like 5

IM Hub-5,5,5,1,1,1(43lbs) new *PR(previous was 41.4lbs)!,1xfail(45.5lbs) but got plenty of air, 5,5

Wrist Reinforcer-lots of reps in all directions. 

Finally some decent progress on the hub. I didn't bother writing the warm up or drop set weights because who cares about a 30lbx5 hub set lol. I'm hoping had I have done these on a 15" loading pin I may have gotten the +45lbs but I only use a 12" so I fell a bit short today. Around the high 30's I switch my grip from the claw style to what I think is called "freestyle" where I put my thumb sideways and I find this method allows me to lift a bit more. I use the video by Jerome Bloom to help me develope my technique. As I understand it the freestyle grip is legal in GS & Armlifting meets. I have a ton of respect for the guys getting 60+ on this thing 💪 Also I've found holds might not work for me on the hub but rather rep work and some technique work seems to bring the biggest rewards, could be wrong though. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

IM Hub-5,5,5,1,1,1(43lbs) new *PR(previous was 41.4lbs)!,1xfail(45.5lbs) but got plenty of air, 5,5

Wrist Reinforcer-lots of reps in all directions. 

Finally some decent progress on the hub. I didn't bother writing the warm up or drop set weights because who cares about a 30lbx5 hub set lol. I'm hoping had I have done these on a 15" loading pin I may have gotten the +45lbs but I only use a 12" so I fell a bit short today. Around the high 30's I switch my grip from the claw style to what I think is called "freestyle" where I put my thumb sideways and I find this method allows me to lift a bit more. I use the video by Jerome Bloom to help me develope my technique. As I understand it the freestyle grip is legal in GS & Armlifting meets. I have a ton of respect for the guys getting 60+ on this thing 💪 Also I've found holds might not work for me on the hub but rather rep work and some technique work seems to bring the biggest rewards, could be wrong though. 

Great work on the Hub P.R. 👏

• Thanks 1

DOH Sumo Axle Deadlift-5's up to 1x1(295lbs) drop sets-5(245), 5(235), 5(225), 1xhold(205), 1xhold(185)

Thumbless Wide Grip Pullups-4x3

One Arm Dead Hands-1x25 seconds each arm new PR. BW is 105kg/231lbs body rotated alot more using my right arm. 

Probably shouldn't have done pullups as I'm already trashed from alot of axle pullups & cupped neutral grip pullup volume earlier this week. I seriously suck at wide grip variations. I utilize a bunch of pullup and dead hang variations to improve grippers and other aspects of grip. I believe they transfer well(especially is you do them weighted & heavy) 

• Like 5

IM Stacker(plate) Curls-4x8 heaviest set was 18lbs

38mm GHP Set Block Grippers-5x1 GHP 5(122) RH 5x1 CoC 2 LH

25mm GHP Set Block Hold(SIlver Bullet style)-1x20 seconds GHP 6(134)

IM Wrist Roller-2x8

Started prep for certing on the GHP 7. This has been a goal of mine since I got into grippers. I figured I should start becoming more accustomed to the 38mm width of the block. Still a ways off certing though. Currently I have 3 gripper goals this year...

1.CCS my hard CoC 2.5(132) currently closest to doing this feat I suspect. 

2.Getting on the Mash Monster list via the MM0

3.Certing on the GHP 7 using a 38mm block set

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

IM Stacker(plate) Curls-4x8 heaviest set was 18lbs

38mm GHP Set Block Grippers-5x1 GHP 5(122) RH 5x1 CoC 2 LH

25mm GHP Set Block Hold(SIlver Bullet style)-1x20 seconds GHP 6(134)

IM Wrist Roller-2x8

Started prep for certing on the GHP 7. This has been a goal of mine since I got into grippers. I figured I should start becoming more accustomed to the 38mm width of the block. Still a ways off certing though. Currently I have 3 gripper goals this year...

1.CCS my hard CoC 2.5(132) currently closest to doing this feat I suspect. 

2.Getting on the Mash Monster list via the MM0

3.Certing on the GHP 7 using a 38mm block set

Good luck on the goals man. I think you’ll hit all of them this year.

• Thanks 1

Pinch & Wrist work today. 

1H 2" Pinch-1x1(67.5lbs)+easy hold*PR LH & RH 3x5(57lbs,52lbs,47lbs) probably had 70+ LH today but held back. 

2 3/8" WW Wrist Curls(suspended w/loading pin)-12,10,8,8 heaviest set was 25lbs

Noticed my RH is weaker than my LH on pinch so hopefully I can get more progress on the 2H if I bring it up. 

• Like 5

On 1/23/2022 at 4:29 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Pinch & Wrist work today. 

1H 2" Pinch-1x1(67.5lbs)+easy hold*PR LH & RH 3x5(57lbs,52lbs,47lbs) probably had 70+ LH today but held back. 

2 3/8" WW Wrist Curls(suspended w/loading pin)-12,10,8,8 heaviest set was 25lbs

Noticed my RH is weaker than my LH on pinch so hopefully I can get more progress on the 2H if I bring it up. 

A solid session there, strong work. I think keeping the hands as close to equal as you can will help your 2HP numbers for sure.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

A solid session there, strong work. I think keeping the hands as close to equal as you can will help your 2HP numbers for sure.

That makes a ton of sense. My right is slightly weaker on pinch so that's one reason why I like to keep the 1H in the mix instead of only doing 2H pinch. I think if my right gets stronger I can have better potential. I do holds and extra sets or reps with it I just forget or don't bother to post it lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

That makes a ton of sense. My right is slightly weaker on pinch so that's one reason why I like to keep the 1H in the mix instead of only doing 2H pinch. I think if my right gets stronger I can have better potential. I do holds and extra sets or reps with it I just forget or don't bother to post it lol.

Mine are withing 1-2 kilo on all pinch moves so i do decent enough at 2hp but i rarely train it anymore. I find i progress faster concentrating on 1hp. 

Holds are gold for pinch i think. 

I find any any grip thing my left what is better at pinch recovers faster and gets less sore even thiugh im rihht handed so i dont do any extra work for the right hand.

I figure the right hand gets more work when using grippers so i try and get overall workload balanced between left and right. Everyone is different though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Are you right handed? It’s weird my right is way stronger than me left at everything especially rolling thunder but I can pinch more left handed for some reason. I am right handed. It’s not much of a difference but my left is always a little stronger 2.5lbs usually.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Mine are withing 1-2 kilo on all pinch moves so i do decent enough at 2hp but i rarely train it anymore. I find i progress faster concentrating on 1hp. 

Holds are gold for pinch i think. 

I find any any grip thing my left what is better at pinch recovers faster and gets less sore even thiugh im rihht handed so i dont do any extra work for the right hand.

I figure the right hand gets more work when using grippers so i try and get overall workload balanced between left and right. Everyone is different though.

Thanks for sharing that bro, some very useful info in your post 👍 

I never thought or gave it much mind as to hand fatigue difference but I'm sure there is a slight difference. I work with my hands alot at my job so I probably just chopped it up to that lol. 

You 1H & 2H seem very consistent. I looked at my PR log I keep at home and it looked like I was better at 2H so I figure it's best to at least occasionally rotate in the 1H stuff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Are you right handed? It’s weird my right is way stronger than me left at everything especially rolling thunder but I can pinch more left handed for some reason. I am right handed. It’s not much of a difference but my left is always a little stronger 2.5lbs usually.

I am a righty. 

I find I'm fairly even strength wise on the thick bar and v bar events. Grippers also but it has to be my adjustable(the handles & spring are neutral so neither hand has an advantage). Oh and what is weird is I'm actually stronger lefty on my adjustable gripper lol. For grippers if my RH gets stopped by a hard gripper I can't quite close I can still get the handles a few mm apart. But on my LH it's like things go well then all of a sudden I try 1 level higher and I fail miserably lol. Like not even close as if it was another person doing the crush. I find it strange. Reminds me of a Jekyl & Hyde scenario. 

Man that is weird about pinch because I'm the same as you, right handed but for pinch left is stronger & same with the hub 🤔 I think your on to something lol. 

• Like 2

IM Stacker Curls-2x5, 1x3(20lbs)*PR

25mm Block Set Grippers-Best result was CoC 2.5(132) failed my GHP 6

RB Adjustable Gripper-doubles with level 10-10(easy spring)+overcrush

25mm Block Set Hold(silver bullet style)-CoC 3(147)x13 seconds

IM Stacker Curls-2x5 medium weight 

Trying to improve my deep set/narrow set grippers. I am horrible in these rom's and I'm leaving alot on the table with grippers until I improve this area imo. My sweep is plenty strong but my closes are shite lol. Fun fact I think my unrated Powerball 300 gripper is actually stronger than my CoC 3 which I'm surprised by. I should probably start doing more rep work with the deep sets with sub maximal grippers instead of constantly pushing the limit with singles. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I am a righty. 

I find I'm fairly even strength wise on the thick bar and v bar events. Grippers also but it has to be my adjustable(the handles & spring are neutral so neither hand has an advantage). Oh and what is weird is I'm actually stronger lefty on my adjustable gripper lol. For grippers if my RH gets stopped by a hard gripper I can't quite close I can still get the handles a few mm apart. But on my LH it's like things go well then all of a sudden I try 1 level higher and I fail miserably lol. Like not even close as if it was another person doing the crush. I find it strange. Reminds me of a Jekyl & Hyde scenario. 

Man that is weird about pinch because I'm the same as you, right handed but for pinch left is stronger & same with the hub 🤔 I think your on to something lol. 

Most right handed people will be better at pinch because their left hands will be a smidge bigger and vice versa for left handed people. 

@Nuttgens

Place your hands perfectly straight up together at the wrist crease and have a look. I bet your left will be bigger and thats why its better at pinch. Im the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Most right handed people will be better at pinch because their left hands will be a smidge bigger and vice versa for left handed people. 

@Nuttgens

Place your hands perfectly straight up together at the wrist crease and have a look. I bet your left will be bigger and thats why its better at pinch. Im the same.

Looks like the middle finger on my left is a bit longer other fingers look the same. Didn’t know left would be bigger weird.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Looks like the middle finger on my left is a bit longer other fingers look the same. Didn’t know left would be bigger weird.

Its always the case with right handers. Ive discussed this with many gripsters and they found the same but normally every finger was longer on the legt if they are right handed. Often the left thumb is a smidge longer as well and it makes a difference when it comes to pinch, even just that 1-2mm. Its an interesting subject.

• Like 2

Late night training after work. 

1H 3" Pinch Block-1x1(71lbs)*PR with a nice hold at the top. Maybe had 75lbs in me today. 3x5 drop sets(61lbs,56lbs,51lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer-3 rounds in all directions. Heaviest was 13lbs?

Can't wait for my SIlarukov order to arrive! Ugh my rolling thunder is slowly binding up and the handle doesn't rotate as well as it used to. I would have done rolling handle+levering as todays protocol but I'm getting disgusted with my RT lately lol. It will be nice to get a proper rolling handle(60mm silarukov) and get going with that. Lately my back has been wrecked from work so I'm idealy hoping to use a loading pin+rolling handle for thick bar work to spare my back lol. I have started doing sumo axle and it defintely feels better and distributes the weight more evenly through the whole body I find. Unfortunately I find I pull identical numbers on the axle regardless of conventional or sumo stance. So no "cheater" deadlifts for me 😁

• Like 5