Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

19 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I see you have been incorporating some pronation training in. Ive only tried pronation once with weight. How do you find it with the bands? 

I like it but it feels different vs my levering sledgehammer type of training. Credit to guys like Janis Amolins and Coach Ray for giving me the idea lol. I may have also seen the Reacher from Australia do similar movements but I can't recall. I'm honestly so new to AW I'm just having fun with the training and hopefully it could carryover to grip sport. I like the banded pronation for high volumes but tbh the grip and wrist stuff we all do here seems like it could have more carryover to the table but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

Grip & AW training today. 

Axle Deadlift-worked up to 1x1(275lbs)+10 second hold. 

Thumbless Axle Deadlift Holds-3x1(225lbs)+10-20 second holds. 

Thumbless Axle Pullups-1x10, 1x5, 1x3.

Thumbless Neutral Grip Pullups(full rom+90 degree+long hold)-3x3

Thumbless DB Fat Gripz Wrist Curls(2.75")-6x8(30lbs)

Plate Pinch Shrugs(3"?)-3x8(45lb+10lb bumper plate each hand)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Pinch & wrist training today. 

AASS 2H 2" pinch-worked up to 1x1(142.5lbs) PR. 1x20second hold(120lbs)

AASS 1H 2" pinch-1x3(57lbs) 1x6(52lbs)

AASS 2 3/8" wrist wrench wrist curls-4x8(13lbs,18lbs,23lbs,26lbs) I do these slow & controlled with a large rom. 

Ironmind Stacker Iso Holds-5 sets each hand

• Like 3

Crush, thick bar & wrist work today.

TNS Grippers(both hands)-1x8 COC S, 1x6 COC T, 1x4 COC 1, 1x3 COC 1.5, 1x2 GG 3, 2x1 COC 2 **PR!, 3x3 COC 1.5

Rolling Thunder+12" loading pin-worked up to a new PR 1x1(140lbs) with room to spare! 

Thumbless Rolling Thunder Holds-5 sets with weights varying between 120lbs down to 100lbs.

2 7/8" AASS loadable dumbbell standing wrist curls-5x8(mostly 40lbs-50lbs range)

Ironmind Wrist Reinforcer Riser Work-3x12(15lbs?)

• Like 3

Vertical bar & Pinch training today.

60mm AASS Jug Replica-worked up to 1x1(150lbs)**PR

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block-4x3(42.5lbs-50lbs-56lbs-61lbs**PR)

@ZRMMAmentioned he had good results with blob training after doing a v bar lift like a lbh, so I decided to give it a try. Hands definitely got warmed up for pinch and I should have started with a heavier weight. Going forward the odd time I throw in v bar I'll stick with this method and see how the results go. Unfortunately I don't have blobs so the wide block will have to suffice. 

• Like 3

Grippers & hub training today.

MMS Grippers-warm up(coc s-coc 1). 1x1 COC 1.5, 1x1 GG3, 1x1 COC 2, 2x1 PB 250, 2x1 GHP 5(rated 122), 1x1 COC 2.5(rated 132) RH only, massive PR! 1xfail GHP 6(rated 134)(not close lol)

MMS Speed Reps-3x8 COC S

Ironmind Hub holds-3x3x10seconds(35lbs) 1x30 seconds(25lbs)

Expand-Your-Hands-Bands-3x20(yellow bands)

I felt strong today even though I did bench, thumbless pullups, arnold presses, tricep extensions etc yesterday at the gym. I wanted to give the MMS style a go again after reading that recent big thread "Gripper training methods". Today was by far the easiest my GHP 5 felt. I'm working on CCS my 2.5 so today was a big step in the right direction. I want this to go down this winter. I filmed all sets but the footage is crap lol, everytime I try to hold the gripper handles up for the camera they slowly come loose and my hand fatigues. 

Edited by Bigfoot Grip
  • Like 5

I bought a 2.5 and a 3 right after I received my 1, 1.5, and 2 ("strong man set" I think it was called), because I closed all of them pretty fast (took a little fiddling with a set to get the 2, because i originally didn't know it counted if you set it!  I just thought if you couldn't close it TNS you should work with a lighter gripper until you could!).

So anyway, I was all excited about how I was going to close the 2.5 soon and then the 3 and cert and and and ... they were like bricks.  It took me 6 months to close the 2.5 and I hurt myself trying, had to put the grippers down for a while, and then another few months to work back up to the 2.5 again.  And the 3 remained such a brick I thought I would never, ever close it.

Then I met the guys who really taught me grip (Anton, Anthony, Chez, Jose) -- they told me whoa, your 2.5 and 3 are really hard!  I was like huh?  They aren't all the same?  So I learned about Cannon and sent the grippers out.  This was late 2017.

Turns out my 2.5 was rated 132, like yours, and my 3 was rated 153 (and I tell you this now that I have closed a lot of 3s, if Cannon was wrong on my 3, he was wrong low -- it might be harder than 153).

I know there have been harder 2.5s and 3s, but those were both tough ones, as your 2.5 is.  I have since acquired 2.5s as low as 117 (and seen lower), and 3s as low as 143 (and seen as low as 138) -- but 132 for a 2.5 is stout man.

Nice close.  Find that 138 3 and its next!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I bought a 2.5 and a 3 right after I received my 1, 1.5, and 2 ("strong man set" I think it was called), because I closed all of them pretty fast (took a little fiddling with a set to get the 2, because i originally didn't know it counted if you set it!  I just thought if you couldn't close it TNS you should work with a lighter gripper until you could!).

So anyway, I was all excited about how I was going to close the 2.5 soon and then the 3 and cert and and and ... they were like bricks.  It took me 6 months to close the 2.5 and I hurt myself trying, had to put the grippers down for a while, and then another few months to work back up to the 2.5 again.  And the 3 remained such a brick I thought I would never, ever close it.

Then I met the guys who really taught me grip (Anton, Anthony, Chez, Jose) -- they told me whoa, your 2.5 and 3 are really hard!  I was like huh?  They aren't all the same?  So I learned about Cannon and sent the grippers out.  This was late 2017.

Turns out my 2.5 was rated 132, like yours, and my 3 was rated 153 (and I tell you this now that I have closed a lot of 3s, if Cannon was wrong on my 3, he was wrong low -- it might be harder than 153).

I know there have been harder 2.5s and 3s, but those were both tough ones, as your 2.5 is.  I have since acquired 2.5s as low as 117 (and seen lower), and 3s as low as 143 (and seen as low as 138) -- but 132 for a 2.5 is stout man.

Nice close.  Find that 138 3 and its next!  

Thanks alot for the talk Vin. I guess that is one bright side to using the harder rated numbers, you can dominate the lower rgc numbered grippers with relative ease. I had no idea the 2.5 got as low as 117 lol but I recall a guy on here from Chile who posted closes with a 119 rated coc 2.5 and I remember thinking huh? They go that low lol. 

As of now my #1 grip goal is get that MM0! It's my goal for 2022. Only problem is the odd time I've seen a coc 3 or ghp 7 rated around 139 at CPW they are sold out instantly and I don't get a chance to buy it. Maybe Matt takes requests to put them aside and hold them for you if requested 🤔

I realize now after watching alot of cert videos my problem is I'm trying to film using a tripod it's throwing me way off. I need to just get my wife to film for me to allow me to just focus on the close instead of worrying about holding it up for the camera lol. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Maybe Matt takes requests to put them aside and hold them for you if requested

I don't think he does, but if he did, everyone would want that rating COC 3 lol.

41 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

just focus on the close instead of worrying about holding it up for the camera

Yeah, I lose a little sometimes trying to show the camera when I do my own.  I always do official cert attempts with a grip conscious friend running the vid, so I can think just about the close.  But in practice, if I can get it on vid without someone else vidding it for me, then I know I can really do it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks alot for the talk Vin. I guess that is one bright side to using the harder rated numbers, you can dominate the lower rgc numbered grippers with relative ease. I had no idea the 2.5 got as low as 117 lol but I recall a guy on here from Chile who posted closes with a 119 rated coc 2.5 and I remember thinking huh? They go that low lol. 

As of now my #1 grip goal is get that MM0! It's my goal for 2022. Only problem is the odd time I've seen a coc 3 or ghp 7 rated around 139 at CPW they are sold out instantly and I don't get a chance to buy it. Maybe Matt takes requests to put them aside and hold them for you if requested 🤔

I realize now after watching alot of cert videos my problem is I'm trying to film using a tripod it's throwing me way off. I need to just get my wife to film for me to allow me to just focus on the close instead of worrying about holding it up for the camera lol. 

Let me know if your gonna order from cannon I’ll split the insane duty and shipping with you. I am looking for anything in the high 160s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Let me know if your gonna order from cannon I’ll split the insane duty and shipping with you. I am looking for anything in the high 160s.

Just sent you a pm.

• Thanks 1

Thickbar & chinups at the gym today. 

Axle-worked up to 1x1(295lbs) unfortunately RPE 10. Added wrist straps and did 1x5(315lbs)

Axle Holds-1x20 seconds(245lbs) 1x30 seconds(225lbs)

Chinups-1x10, 1x8, 12x1 explosive and long paused reps & holds

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thickbar & chinups at the gym today. 

Axle-worked up to 1x1(295lbs) unfortunately RPE 10. Added wrist straps and did 1x5(315lbs)

Axle Holds-1x20 seconds(245lbs) 1x30 seconds(225lbs)

Chinups-1x10, 1x8, 12x1 explosive and long paused reps & holds

Nice Axle Lift!

• Thanks 1

Crushed to Dust training today. 

CCS Grippers-1x10 2x3 COC S, 2x3 COC T, 2x1 COC 1, 1x1 COC 1.5, 1x1 GG3, 1x1 COC 2, 1x1 PB 250, 1xfail GHP 5(122) I had no business attempting it today because the PB 250 felt max effort. 

CCS RB Adjustable(easy spring)-1x5(level 7-7) 1x5(level 7-6)

Rolling Thunder-worked up to 1x1(142.5lbs) LH only new PR. 

Rolling Thunder Holds-3 sets(115lbs-110lbs-105lbs)

2" Wrist Roller-3x5(up & down) 

Wrist Reinforcer-every angle sets of 16-24 reps. High volume today. 

• Like 4

armlifting training today. 

One Arm AASS axle-6x5(worked up to 125lbs) did a long hold on the last rep. 

Ironmind Hub Holds(12-30 seconds)-3 sets(35lbs top set) 

First time ever trying the one arm axle deadlift and it feels like it could be quite an effective exercise to implement. You really have fight the tilt and I could see it carrying over to both 2H axle & rolling thunder but only time will tell. Also just got my Powerball 300 gripper in the mail today so excited about that 😎

• Like 5

I've been busy with work lately and missed logging 2 workouts. 

Dec 21-wrist work

Ironmind Stacker curls(mimic a plate curl)-5x5-8 reps

Wrist Reinforcer-sets of 12-16 reps all directions

Dec 24-pinch & v bar

2H 2" AASS Pinch Block-5x5(worked up to 120lbs)+long hold on the last rep

2 3/8" Jug replica holds-1x120lbsx20 seconds 1x110lbsx30 seconds

I've been watching the Canada gripsport page for upcoming meets in 2022. Might try to get out to Saskatchewan in the spring for a meet in Regina. Seems the 2" saxon bar & 2" v bar are popular so I'll keep these type of lifts in my rotation in the event I compete. 

Merry Christmas everyone, hope Santa brought you some grip toys 😁

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I've been busy with work lately and missed logging 2 workouts. 

Dec 21-wrist work

Ironmind Stacker curls(mimic a plate curl)-5x5-8 reps

Wrist Reinforcer-sets of 12-16 reps all directions

Dec 24-pinch & v bar

2H 2" AASS Pinch Block-5x5(worked up to 120lbs)+long hold on the last rep

2 3/8" Jug replica holds-1x120lbsx20 seconds 1x110lbsx30 seconds

I've been watching the Canada gripsport page for upcoming meets in 2022. Might try to get out to Saskatchewan in the spring for a meet in Regina. Seems the 2" saxon bar & 2" v bar are popular so I'll keep these type of lifts in my rotation in the event I compete. 

Merry Christmas everyone, hope Santa brought you some grip toys 😁

Merry Christmas man.
Road trip to sask? I might be in. When is it?

also got an axle bar for Christmas so that’s pretty sweet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Merry Christmas man.
Road trip to sask? I might be in. When is it?

also got an axle bar for Christmas so that’s pretty sweet.

Merry Christmas bro. Congrats on getting the axle! What brand is it? 

Just check the grip sport Canada website and the upcoming contests on the grip board. They just did a gripmas meet in Moose Jaw last weekend. Next meet is Jedd's "No Excuses" meet on Feb 5th in Regina. Not sure after that but they seem to host a spring/early summer meet and King Kong each year so I'm thinking of giving it a shot. 

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Merry Christmas bro. Congrats on getting the axle! What brand is it? 

Just check the grip sport Canada website and the upcoming contests on the grip board. They just did a gripmas meet in Moose Jaw last weekend. Next meet is Jedd's "No Excuses" meet on Feb 5th in Regina. Not sure after that but they seem to host a spring/early summer meet and King Kong each year so I'm thinking of giving it a shot. 

Not sure if the brand. She just got it from the fitness depot in Calgary only $100 it’s actual 2” diameter though painted black and full length.

February 5 is coming up pretty quick would you drive it? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Not sure if the brand. She just got it from the fitness depot in Calgary only $100 it’s actual 2” diameter though painted black and full length.

February 5 is coming up pretty quick would you drive it? 

Awesome man. Didn't know Fitness Depot sold axles. I've bought alot of stuff over the years from them. Very cool it's 2" because axles seem to have some variance in diameter. 

Don't know if I'd do the No Excuses meet. I think they are contesting stuff like finnish ball which I would have to buy from Arm Assassin. The rolling handle is 3" lol so not ideal either. Too bad they didn't choose a 2.5 or 2.25" Crusher. Can't imagine being a small woman or man having to use a 3" rolling handle. I believe they are using the Flask which is rad 👍 I looked at the the events from the previous Saskatchewan meets and they seem to always use either the Flask or the 2" saxon bar for pinch, Axle deadlift, 2" v bar(I just use my jug to mimic it) and either a rolling handle(2.25" Crusher) or an oddball event. 

I've been in communication with the organizers and they told me they were considering another meet in April. So I've been kinda winging it training as if the events will stay the same or similar enough to previous contests. I'll consider feb 5th but I really feel I should get some practice with the Finish Ball first lol. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Awesome man. Didn't know Fitness Depot sold axles. I've bought alot of stuff over the years from them. Very cool it's 2" because axles seem to have some variance in diameter. 

Don't know if I'd do the No Excuses meet. I think they are contesting stuff like finnish ball which I would have to buy from Arm Assassin. The rolling handle is 3" lol so not ideal either. Too bad they didn't choose a 2.5 or 2.25" Crusher. Can't imagine being a small woman or man having to use a 3" rolling handle. I believe they are using the Flask which is rad 👍 I looked at the the events from the previous Saskatchewan meets and they seem to always use either the Flask or the 2" saxon bar for pinch, Axle deadlift, 2" v bar(I just use my jug to mimic it) and either a rolling handle(2.25" Crusher) or an oddball event. 

I've been in communication with the organizers and they told me they were considering another meet in April. So I've been kinda winging it training as if the events will stay the same or similar enough to previous contests. I'll consider feb 5th but I really feel I should get some practice with the Finish Ball first lol. 

I wasn’t expecting the axle to be 2” I was a bit confused when my axle collars wouldn’t fit on it.

Yeah it’s a long drive also. A 3” handle seems insane man I struggle with the rolling thunder. I don’t even know what the finish ball is.

the flask is wicked though I am going to start working with it again next week.

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I wasn’t expecting the axle to be 2” I was a bit confused when my axle collars wouldn’t fit on it.

Yeah it’s a long drive also. A 3” handle seems insane man I struggle with the rolling thunder. I don’t even know what the finish ball is.

the flask is wicked though I am going to start working with it again next week.

Couldn't agree more man. I like any handle of 2.5" or smaller but when I use my 2 7/8" it's just a pinch lift for me. It's funny to me that the meet is supposed to be pinch & thickbar yet the events are Flask, Finnish Ball, Hub & 3" Trilobite rolling handle so i.e. the whole meet might as well be pinch. The person who submitted the 3" handle is well....I'll refrain from stating what I think they are haha. Totally ruins it for many of us average joes. This is the stuff that hurts the growth of grip sport imo. 

For these reasons I'll probably hold off until the next reasonable grip sport contest. I'll probably just suck it up and buy the Finnish Ball from Lucas because it was in last years King Kong and seems to be growing in popularity. 

Here is the video explaining the concept behind No Excuses. Jedd took submissions and gets his daughter to draw names out of a hat. It's a great concept and as a Dad it's cool to see Jedd getting his family involved, it just sucks someone had to suggest a 3" rolling handle 😒

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Couldn't agree more man. I like any handle of 2.5" or smaller but when I use my 2 7/8" it's just a pinch lift for me. It's funny to me that the meet is supposed to be pinch & thickbar yet the events are Flask, Finnish Ball, Hub & 3" Trilobite rolling handle so i.e. the whole meet might as well be pinch. The person who submitted the 3" handle is well....I'll refrain from stating what I think they are haha. Totally ruins it for many of us average joes. This is the stuff that hurts the growth of grip sport imo. 

For these reasons I'll probably hold off until the next reasonable grip sport contest. I'll probably just suck it up and buy the Finnish Ball from Lucas because it was in last years King Kong and seems to be growing in popularity. 

Here is the video explaining the concept behind No Excuses. Jedd took submissions and gets his daughter to draw names out of a hat. It's a great concept and as a Dad it's cool to see Jedd getting his family involved, it just sucks someone had to suggest a 3" rolling handle 😒

Oh yeah it’s a good idea for a comp. although didn’t end up with the best choices. I looked up the finish ball it doesn’t look fun haha. Do yo just pinch it between your thumb and index finger?

also pretty awesome how popular the flask is.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

If you order from arm assassin let me know if it’s cheaper shipping to throw some stuff on your order I might get something too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

If you order from arm assassin let me know if it’s cheaper shipping to throw some stuff on your order I might get something too.

Will do. I'm currently waiting to hear what events will be contested at King Kong 2022. If it has the Finnish Ball again I will order from Arm Assassin and get you one. Good news is it only costs $25 US so not too hard on the wallet lol. I see the double shallow inch pinch gets tested a bit so I may scoop one of those up also. I'll let you know and hold off so we can order together. Lucas makes great gear and is always a pleasure to deal with. 

Not sure about technique bro. I just used the video by Jerome Bloom on youtube and he seems to know what he's talking about. Agreed it looks painfull lol. Suprised they wouldn't just go with the hub or something more commonly known for KK 🤔

• Like 1