Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

On 9/14/2021 at 4:45 AM, mcalpine1986 said:

Warm up upto about 280-285lbs on the axle then switch to do a regular Oly bar deadlift for about 330lbs-350lbs. 

Then attempt 300lb on the axle. It should fly up. It will "trick" your CNS and Body into thinking the 300lbs is lighter than it is.

LOL my DOH axle max is not much more than 300 either (308 is my PR), but that's about the same as my oly bar DOH max, and my mixed-grip max, and my straps max.  Bc that's all my old bod can lift from the ground by any means!  So your advice wouldn't work for me, although it does sound like a cool ploy if you can do it.

I sometimes forget that most of you guys can deadlift 400 or more, if you hold it the right way.  I haven't tried a trap bar type thing where you are holding the weight to your sides and standing in the middle.  I might be able to pick up more that way than with a barbell of any thickness, so it's on my radar to try that sometime when I have access to one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

LOL my DOH axle max is not much more than 300 either (308 is my PR), but that's about the same as my oly bar DOH max, and my mixed-grip max, and my straps max.  Bc that's all my old bod can lift from the ground by any means!  So your advice wouldn't work for me, although it does sound like a cool ploy if you can do it.

I sometimes forget that most of you guys can deadlift 400 or more, if you hold it the right way.  I haven't tried a trap bar type thing where you are holding the weight to your sides and standing in the middle.  I might be able to pick up more that way than with a barbell of any thickness, so it's on my radar to try that sometime when I have access to one.

Yes that wouldnt work in your case but its a trick that does work. You are an exception to that rule 🤣 it works on certain other lifts though. 

I think a lot of guys who get into grip are former lifters. I was never that strong in the deadlift from the floor(200kg/440lbs was my best at 82kg/180lbs bw) as i mainly trained a few inches below knees from mats or blocks(not rack pulls) and pulled 230kg/507lbs when i was into lifting heavy(for me) 

As for trap bars, i personally never have liked them but with the higher pick up most can lift more thans normal deads. They also suit certain bodytypes, those with relatively shorter arms and legs compared to torso. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Funny enough when @mcalpine1986 gave me this advice you were the first person I thought of 😁. I'm lucky to apply this method and see if I get a nice little axle boost, but for gripsters who's grip is more inline with overall body strength it may present a challenge. 

@mcalpine1986is bang on about the trap bar deadlift. It may suit shorter limb lifters better and put their back in a safer range of motion. Oddly enough I'm more of a longer limbed and gorilla backed individual so my regular bar conventional deadlift historically has been as strong or stronger than the trap bar as I'm much more posterior chain dominant than quad dominate. I find the trap bar almost feels like the squat and deadlift had a baby lol. Now that I have been able to train with the adjustable thickbar I could see the trap bar carrying over to that device because both seem to work the core, abs and obliques a great deal. 

@VinnieI've often asked myself imagine the damage you could do Vinnie if you had the powerlifter type strength. I realize this is easier said than done though lol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

imagine the damage you could do Vinnie if you had the powerlifter type strength

I do think I could do a bit more than 308 with a little work.  I had back surgery 14 years ago and I've got a lot of stenosis going on in there, so I don't do the deadlift/squat movements much, and I'd probably get some gains if I did.  So, do I work to increase my deadlift?  Maybe, but it isn't worth injury to me; for now, I am going to focus on the COC cert until I get it or give up, and anything else I will just kind of do as it comes, like Gripmas, nationals, whatever.

• Like 2

Pinch & wrist work today.

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block-worked up to 1x1(66lbs) LH and 1x1(71lbs) RH **PR

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block Holds-3 sets each hand(58lbs, 53lbs, 48lbs). Performed 1-2 extra sets to bring up my weak LH.

AASS 2 3/8 Wrist Wrench Wrist Curls-1x12(15lbs), 1x12(17.5lbs), 1x10(22.5lbs). I do these table top style with the weight & loading pin suspended making it challening. 

Wrist Reinforcer-4x24 supination & pronation work. 

Not hard to see what a difference texture makes for a grip implement. My best result on a new Ironmind BB pinch block is 59lbs. My Arm Assassin(same 3" width) is 71lbs lol. Since I began serious grip focused training my 3" pinch has been stronger than my 2" but I'm actively working to fix this. I've chatted with some Gripboard members and they mentioned this isn't too common. 

Good luck to everyone doing the Olympia this weekend. 

• Like 6

On 10/9/2021 at 1:59 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Pinch & wrist work today.

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block-worked up to 1x1(66lbs) LH and 1x1(71lbs) RH **PR

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block Holds-3 sets each hand(58lbs, 53lbs, 48lbs). Performed 1-2 extra sets to bring up my weak LH.

AASS 2 3/8 Wrist Wrench Wrist Curls-1x12(15lbs), 1x12(17.5lbs), 1x10(22.5lbs). I do these table top style with the weight & loading pin suspended making it challening. 

Wrist Reinforcer-4x24 supination & pronation work. 

Not hard to see what a difference texture makes for a grip implement. My best result on a new Ironmind BB pinch block is 59lbs. My Arm Assassin(same 3" width) is 71lbs lol. Since I began serious grip focused training my 3" pinch has been stronger than my 2" but I'm actively working to fix this. I've chatted with some Gripboard members and they mentioned this isn't too common. 

Good luck to everyone doing the Olympia this weekend. 

Great job on the Pinch work and P.Rs.👏

Wrist wrench curls are brutal. I tried them last week after Normal WW. Just normal standing style amd i couldnt believe how hard they were compared to normal thick bar curls. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great job on the Pinch work and P.Rs.👏

Wrist wrench curls are brutal. I tried them last week after Normal WW. Just normal standing style amd i couldnt believe how hard they were compared to normal thick bar curls. 

Thanks brother! I hear you even compared to axle wrist curls they are very challenging. I could see them possibly being good for hypertrophy purposes also. I got inspired by your wrist wrench bicep curl video lol they looked brutal but effective. I need to give them a go sometime and punish myself haha. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks brother! I hear you even compared to axle wrist curls they are very challenging. I could see them possibly being good for hypertrophy purposes also. I got inspired by your wrist wrench bicep curl video lol they looked brutal but effective. I need to give them a go sometime and punish myself haha. 

I agree they will be great for hypertrophy. They made my flexors very sore. I always find that thick bar and wrist work at best for growth. 

Im keeping them once per week as you can just tell they will make your wrists really strong.

• Like 1

Grippers and wrist work today. 

CCS Grippers-COC Sx5, COC Tx3, COC #1x1, COC #1.5x1, GG #3x1, COC #2x1, GHP #5(rated 122)x1 RH only big fail in the left oddly enough it was even problematic just setting the thing lol. GG #3x1, COC #1.5x1

RB Adjustable Gripper(easy spring)-level 6-6x5, level 7-7x5, level 8-8x5 each set with an overcrush hold on the fifth rep. 

Ironmind Stacker Plate Curls-4x8(weights varied between 12-20lbs)

Pretty much shocked that I CCS the GHP 5 beast lol. Not sure how it happened because I had a bad sleep and I'm sore from all of the front squats, pullups, dips, rdl's etc. Kind of reminds me of when @Alexander Koss posted about his late night drunken gripper workout where he dominated the COC 3 despite less than ideal conditions. Grip can be so ambiguous sometimes. My RH GHP 5 CCS close was imo the best performance I've ever had on grippers but when I set the same gripper in the LH it felt like the weakest set(setting strength) of my life. Talk about weird lol. Oddly enough the COC 2 CCS LH was by far the strongest LH CCS of my life yet as soon as the GHP attempt happened my LH strength just fell off a cliff and I struggled to even set the gripper LH. Can't wait to CCS my strong COC 2.5 someday. 

• Like 7

Thickbar & wrist work today.

RT-warm up to 100lbs to prep for my inch replica. 

FBBC Pro Dumbbell Deadlift-1x1(115lbs) RH & LH. 20x1(100lbs)

RT Holds-1x1(100lbs)x30 seconds RH & LH.

Wrist Reinforcer-Lots of levering sets of 20 lighter & sets of 10 heavier. 

image1 (1).jpeg

• Like 6

On 10/18/2021 at 10:38 PM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thickbar & wrist work today.

RT-warm up to 100lbs to prep for my inch replica. 

FBBC Pro Dumbbell Deadlift-1x1(115lbs) RH & LH. 20x1(100lbs)

RT Holds-1x1(100lbs)x30 seconds RH & LH.

Wrist Reinforcer-Lots of levering sets of 20 lighter & sets of 10 heavier. 

image1 (1).jpeg

Awesome Dumbbell!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZRMMA said:

Awesome Dumbbell!

Thanks bro. Takes a bit to build it and tighten it but I like it even more than my rolling handles and my wrist wrench lol. 

• Like 1

Pinch and Wrist training today.

2H 2" AASS Pinch Block-Warmed up to 1x1(141lbs) **PR. 1x1(143.5lbs)xfail but pulled it halfway. 

2H 2" AASS Pinch Block Holds-1x15 seconds(116lbs) 1x20 seconds(106lbs)

Thumbless 2 3/8's AASS Wrist Wrench Wrist Curls-3x12

Wrist Reinforcer-pronation+supination 3x30. levering 3x20 

image1 (2).jpeg

• Like 8

Grippers, thick bar & wrist work today. 

CCS Grippers-COC S 1x8, COC T 1x5, COC 1 1x2, COC 1.5 1x1, COC 2 1x1 R & L, GHP 5(122) 1xfail(1-2mm apart) RH only. GG3 1x5 R & L, COC 1.5 1x5 R & L, RB Adjustable(easy spring) 7-7 1x5 R & L. 

2 3/8" AASS Wrist Wrench-worked up to 1x1(69lbs) R & L for a new +1lb PR. I pull this to about belly button height using a bent arm. 1x6(52.5lbs), 1x8(50lbs) for additional volume. 

Wrist Reinforcer-3x22 supination+pronation. Also did some riser training 3x24. 

In other note worthy training tid bits I trap bar deadlifted 545 at the gym last saturday. Did a long hold at the top for grips sake lol. I was surprised I didn't need straps lol. I don't think I've pushed any exercise over 315 in ages but I felt good that day and my buddies kind of encouraged me to push it. Felt like 565-585 was there but it would have been 100% effort and I'm trying to protect my back. Now if only I could DOH axle deadlift that much weight 😁

• Like 6

On 11/2/2021 at 1:35 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Grippers, thick bar & wrist work today. 

CCS Grippers-COC S 1x8, COC T 1x5, COC 1 1x2, COC 1.5 1x1, COC 2 1x1 R & L, GHP 5(122) 1xfail(1-2mm apart) RH only. GG3 1x5 R & L, COC 1.5 1x5 R & L, RB Adjustable(easy spring) 7-7 1x5 R & L. 

2 3/8" AASS Wrist Wrench-worked up to 1x1(69lbs) R & L for a new +1lb PR. I pull this to about belly button height using a bent arm. 1x6(52.5lbs), 1x8(50lbs) for additional volume. 

Wrist Reinforcer-3x22 supination+pronation. Also did some riser training 3x24. 

In other note worthy training tid bits I trap bar deadlifted 545 at the gym last saturday. Did a long hold at the top for grips sake lol. I was surprised I didn't need straps lol. I don't think I've pushed any exercise over 315 in ages but I felt good that day and my buddies kind of encouraged me to push it. Felt like 565-585 was there but it would have been 100% effort and I'm trying to protect my back. Now if only I could DOH axle deadlift that much weight 😁

Great lifting, especially on the wrist wrench. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wrist wrench is probably the implement that almost everyone would overestimate what they could do the first time they try it.  I mean, if you had shown me what that looks like before I tried it and said, "What do you think you can do on this?" I'd have replied, thinking I was lowballing to look modest, "Oh maybe 120" -- and I would have had no idea that 120 would be world class and that, in fact, 60 on that thing is actually freaking hard!  I am not sure I have ever gotten 70.

I have one, too, I should do it more.  I hate it but that means its good lol.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Wrist wrench is probably the implement that almost everyone would overestimate what they could do the first time they try it.  I mean, if you had shown me what that looks like before I tried it and said, "What do you think you can do on this?" I'd have replied, thinking I was lowballing to look modest, "Oh maybe 120" -- and I would have had no idea that 120 would be world class and that, in fact, 60 on that thing is actually freaking hard!  I am not sure I have ever gotten 70.

120lbs for a 1st lift would be insane! I agree though, They are very tough although i knew off looking at others that its deceptively hard and knew 45kg/100lbs is elite. Mine has no texture and bare steel so damn hard but i love it. The first time i tried i only got 30kg, then 32.5kg then 35kg last time. 45kg is my goal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

120lbs for a 1st lift would be insane! I agree though, They are very tough although i knew off looking at others that its deceptively hard and knew 45kg/100lbs is elite. Mine has no texture and bare steel so damn hard but i love it. The first time i tried i only got 30kg, then 32.5kg then 35kg last time. 45kg is my goal. 

Oh I know that now - but before I ever tried it I thought it looked kind of like a rolling handle, so I figured, I can do 150-ish plus or minus for a rolling handle, I will guess lower for this thing I don't know.  Now that I have one, and I am not sure I ever cracked even 70 pounds on it, I know how hard it is!

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, Vinnie said:

You spoke for me Vinnie lol. I had the exact same experience and thought "what's the big deal". "It's just a handle with a strap, so what?" After the first workout with the wrist wrench I had a tremendous respect for anyone lifting 100lbs+. That truly is an elite feat of strength! It feels like climbing Everest in that every +1lb PR is a big deal lol. 

I imagine grippers must be similar considering you're elite Vinnie. Just a +1lb RGC boost is a big deal when your into COC 3 territory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Same here I guess we're on the road to 45kg/100lbs together 💪. I can imagine the bare steel would be tough, the one I use from Arm Assassin seems to hold chalk quite well fortunately. I also find if I go for a new PR I tend to have to get really psyched up mentally for the wrist wrench. Funny enough it's the only grip device that I've been injured on(tore a pulley in my left middle finger on the wrist wrench) so I try to be more careful with the device because the torque is off the charts haha. 

• Like 1

Same here I guess we're on the road to 45kg/100lbs together 💪. I can imagine the bare steel would be tough, the one I use from Arm Assassin seems to hold chalk quite well fortunately. I also find if I go for a new PR I tend to have to get really psyched up mentally for the wrist wrench. Funny enough it's the only grip device that I've been injured on(tore a pulley in my left middle finger on the wrist wrench) so I try to be more careful with the device because the torque is off the charts haha. 

You will hit 45kg no doubt. Just keep at it. Ive not touched mine in maybe a month or so ill have to see where iam at next week. 

Sounds a nasty injury, does it still affect you? Agreed the wrist torque is crazy lol.

16 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

You will hit 45kg no doubt. Just keep at it. Ive not touched mine in maybe a month or so ill have to see where iam at next week. 

Sounds a nasty injury, does it still affect you? Agreed the wrist torque is crazy lol.

Thanks brother! I'd give you a thank you trophy but I maxed my quota lol. 

Your deload/week off training could help with a new wrist wrench PR. No doubt all the wrist work you do might transfer to the wrist wrench. 

The injury has finally mostly healed and doesn't  effect my lifts too much. Before I joined the gripboard I had to go to hand physio rehab for it so I just lurked the gripboard lol and waited to make a comeback. I went from CCS COC 2 to literally starting back with the Trainer and eventually COC 1. It felt humiliating but the fact I'm working towards CCS my COC 2.5 is mentally a big boost. I have alot of respect for any gripster who can go through rehab and keep their head still in the grip game 👍

• Like 1

Pinch and armwrestling esque training today.

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block Holds-1x50lbsx20 seconds, 1x55lbsx20 seconds, 1x60lbsx12-15 seconds. 

Ironmind Hub-worked up to 1x1(40lbs) LH but failed with the RH. I absolutely hate this thing lol. I swear my least fav grip category thus far(prefer pinch, thick bar and grippers more). Maybe someday I'll care enough to pursue the hub more seriously. 

60mm Jug Hammer Curls with suspended loading pin-6x8-12 reps. Worked up to 45lbs. 

Pronation with resistance bands-4x20

• Like 4

Grippers, thick bar & wrist training today. Planned deload on grippers. 

RB Adjustable Gripper-Level 9-9(easy spring) 6x1 RH & LH. Level 7-7(easy spring) 1x10 RH & LH

FBBC Pro Dumbbell(2.5" inch replica) Rows-3x10(70lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer-3 sets of pronation+supination+riser levering 

Pronation With Band-6 sets

• Like 4

Grippers, thick bar & wrist training today. Planned deload on grippers. 

RB Adjustable Gripper-Level 9-9(easy spring) 6x1 RH & LH. Level 7-7(easy spring) 1x10 RH & LH

FBBC Pro Dumbbell(2.5" inch replica) Rows-3x10(70lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer-3 sets of pronation+supination+riser levering 

Pronation With Band-6 sets

I see you have been incorporating some pronation training in. Ive only tried pronation once with weight. How do you find it with the bands? 

• Like 1