Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

That is also the strongest GHP 5 ive ever heard of

Truth.  GHP 5 is usually a little over 100, and GHP 6 is usually not much harder than 122 (I had a GHP 6 rated 129).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

From my own experience, it's more than just "preferably" a harder gripper that one would need to close MMS before he can CCS a 3.  Recently I got very, very close to an MMS close on a 3.5 rated 165, and I did close a 3.5 rated 165 that was chokered to parallel.  But my best CCS is a 3 rated 145, and I cannot do that every single time, just on a good day.  So I would estimate that I will not be truly ready to cert the 3 (since I may well get one harder than 145) until I can MMS at least an average 3.5.  And I am good at wide set closes, so I'd bet that for almost anyone, until you can MMS close at least an easy 3.5, you probably are not going to be ready to CCS a hard 3.  But yeah, no matter how good you are at wide sets, at the very least, you need to be able to MMS close a 3 before you will CCS it bc of course: MMS is easier, after all.

It's the same for me. My CCS is bad, but it's mostly because I don't care about it. Usually it's around 30 lbs lower than my MMS. This was always the case for me regardless of what level I was at.

When you can close the #3 from any set then you can start to train CCS or TNS or whatever your goal is. IMO the best way to progress to wider set is just to slowly increase the set distance. Most people don't do that because most people aren't patient enough but it's really the easiest way of getting stronger with wider sets. Deep set - MMS- 20 mm - 25 mm - 30 mm - 35 mm - 38 mm - 40 mm etc etc. And while doing that always work on the deep set and MMS to maintain and improve the top end strength.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Truth.  GHP 5 is usually a little over 100, and GHP 6 is usually not much harder than 122 (I had a GHP 6 rated 129).

From my collection..

My GHP 5 is 112!

GHP 6 from 127 to 136

• Like 2

4 hours ago, liftyzig said:

From my collection..

My GHP 5 is 112!

GHP 6 from 127 to 136

The GHP 5s average 111lbs of 203 tested by cpw. Mine is 113lbs. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

The GHP 5s average 111lbs of 203 tested by cpw. Mine is 113lbs. 

Yes, so his GHP 5 at 122 is pretty hard, and is as close to a typical GHP 6 as to a typical GHP 5

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Yes, so his GHP 5 at 122 is pretty hard, and is as close to a typical GHP 6 as to a typical GHP 5

GHP5 at 122 is the hardest I've ever heard of. Looking at Cannon's rating data sheet, the hardest GHP5 there is 119.

• Like 4

Dube's rating may run higher than Cannon's like Jedd's always run like 2 pounds heavier because he puts the strap at the edge of the knurling instead of at the end of the handle, that 1 or 2mm of difference will always show as long as everyone is consistent.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Very nice session. 

Very Well done on the GHP5. That is also the strongest GHP 5 ive ever heard of. CPWs strongest on their chart is 119lbs so way to go man. Great pinch holds also.

You will get that coc 2.5 soon no doubt.

Thanks alot brother. Just trying to keep up with you haha, I just posted a video about the GHP 5 anamoly so you can finaly put a face to my name.

2 hours ago, liftyzig said:

Dube's rating may run higher than Cannon's like Jedd's always run like 2 pounds heavier because he puts the strap at the edge of the knurling instead of at the end of the handle, that 1 or 2mm of difference will always show as long as everyone is consistent.

Hey Clint I appreciate you chiming in. I just made a video addressing this anamoly. I'm as confused as everyone else as to how its rated 122. I posted the video because frankly I don't know that I would believe it myself if I didn't see it lol.

34 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

My first video ever talking on camera so go easy on me haha. 

Good video man. Congrats on closing a beast of a ghp5. The ghp6 will go down real soon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Good video man. Congrats on closing a beast of a ghp5. The ghp6 will go down real soon.

Thanks brother, hopefully the new RB adjustable helps bridge the gap for me. 

3 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks brother, hopefully the new RB adjustable helps bridge the gap for me. 

Yeah those look cool I have though about buying one before but then what excuse would I have for buying a pile more grippers.

• Like 1

your 2.5 is rated pretty high too, not impossibly high, and the 122 rating of the GHP 5 may be spot on, just because the highest Cannpn has seen was 119 doesnt mean there arent tougher ones out there.  It may be worth sending it in to Cannon to have it re-rated using his setup, just to see the difference.

• Like 2

Thick bar training today...

Axle Deadlift-253x9 RPE 9 unfortunately couldn't fit any more plates. 

Axle Deadlift Hold-253x20 seconds....collars tightened to the max for more rotation and difficulty. 

FBBC Pro Dumbell(2.5")-103.2lbs 7 singles RH and 6 singles LH

FBBC Pro Dumbbell Rows-3x10 w/58lbs-60lb

AASS Axle.jpeg

103.2 FBBC Pro Dumbbell.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thick bar training today...

Axle Deadlift-253x9 RPE 9 unfortunately couldn't fit any more plates. 

Axle Deadlift Hold-253x20 seconds....collars tightened to the max for more rotation and difficulty. 

FBBC Pro Dumbell(2.5")-103.2lbs 7 singles RH and 6 singles LH

FBBC Pro Dumbbell Rows-3x10 w/58lbs-60lb

AASS Axle.jpeg

103.2 FBBC Pro Dumbbell.jpeg

Strong session. The Db handle looks brutal.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Strong session. The Db handle looks brutal.

Thanks man, not going to lie the handle is kinda harsh on the hands lol. One draw back is that its so much work to build making it harder to ramp up the weight. Its an interesting piece, alot harder than my rolling thunder but easier than my 60mm wrist wrench. 

• Like 2

Quick gym workout today, grip-ish enough I thought I'd log it

Axle Pullups-6x3 alternating between thumbless and regular every other set.

DB Arnold Press-6-7 sets 5-12 reps. Went up to 50lbs didn't push it too hard. 

30 min treadmill

Bodyweight-101.7kg

• Like 4

On 9/2/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks man, not going to lie the handle is kinda harsh on the hands lol. One draw back is that its so much work to build making it harder to ramp up the weight. Its an interesting piece, alot harder than my rolling thunder but easier than my 60mm wrist wrench. 

It sounds great. I have an RT but im not a fan of it tbh. Mine spins freely well but i just dont like the feel of it. 

They are very inconsistant. Some peoples bind up with chalk and dust etc yet some peoples spin well. 

I have a 60mm wrist wrench. Ive only used it twice so far but i love it. The wrist and thumb pressure is immense, its hard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It sounds great. I have an RT but im not a fan of it tbh. Mine spins freely well but i just dont like the feel of it. 

They are very inconsistant. Some peoples bind up with chalk and dust etc yet some peoples spin well. 

I have a 60mm wrist wrench. Ive only used it twice so far but i love it. The wrist and thumb pressure is immense, its hard.

I hear you, I learned early on about the unpopularity of the RT. The fact the handle is plastic makes it hard to figure out the exact optimal amount of either chalk or moisture or both that you need on your hand to have the best grip possible. It gets frustrating lol. For some reason I still enjoy the RT but I don't doubt most of the competition to Ironmind offer better rolling handles(RGT, Crusher, Nalpalms Nightmare ect)

Agreed on the WW, immense is an accurate description haha that thing will make you pay if you do too much volume. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I hear you, I learned early on about the unpopularity of the RT. The fact the handle is plastic makes it hard to figure out the exact optimal amount of either chalk or moisture or both that you need on your hand to have the best grip possible. It gets frustrating lol. For some reason I still enjoy the RT but I don't doubt most of the competition to Ironmind offer better rolling handles(RGT, Crusher, Nalpalms Nightmare ect)

Agreed on the WW, immense is an accurate description haha that thing will make you pay if you do too much volume. 

There are defo better handles out there. Id love an RGT, a mate of mine has one and teh spin on it is crazy. I watched martins licis and jujimufu training on it on youtube. It looks brutal.

Yes the 60mm WW is a tough one but seems very result producing. I need to train it more often. I have so much grip stuff its hard to juggle training on them all.

• Like 1

Great session today with multiple PR's...

RB Adjustable Gripper(all sets MMS)-1x1 R & L using the level 4 hard spring estimated RGC 115 according to CPW table guide. Did 1 more single R but failed horribly on the left lol. My old PR was the easy spring level 10 estimated RGC=110 CPW table guide. Very Happy with this result but it may be time to deload grippers next time I program them. Followed up the 2 singles with a 2x5 & 1x8 using level 3 hard spring(100 RGC est)x5, level 8 easy spring(90 RGC est)x5 and level 7 easy spring(80 RGC est)x8 

2" 2H AASS Pinch Block-worked up to 1x1 w/137lbs for a +7lbs PR! Felt like I had maybe 140lbs but would have been an extreme RPE 10+ haha. 

2" 2H AASS Pinch Block Holds-1x11 seconds w/117lbs 1x18 seconds w/107lbs

Ironmind Stacker-2x8 curls & 2x20 second iso holds. Weight was between 12lbs-16lbs?

• Like 2

Thickbar training today at my buddies gym so I got to try out some new implements...

Axle Deadlift(2")-Worked up to 1x1(295lbs) 1x300(fail but pulled to about knee height)

Axle Deadlift Block Pulls-1x1(300lbs) then I think I did 3 drop sets of dubs and trips followed by 1xhold(235lbs) with regualr grip and 1xhold(185) thumbless grip. 

Adjustable Thickbar(60mm)-Triples up to 3x3(180lbs?) 

Adjustable Thickbar(75mm?)-1x5(145?)

Axle(2") Thumbless Reverse Curls-3x8(70lbs)

It was so sh*tty to fail the 300 axle from floor full rom height but I can tell it's right their. From the blocks 300 was a fair bit easier. One of my main shorter term grip goals was  doing a 300lb 2" axle deadlift. Good to know I'm nearly at that point. I'd like to get to be able to axle deadlift 315lbs on command any day of the week. Still a ways to go but currently my axle, 2" & 3" pinch and grippers are moving up so I can't complain. I'm hoping my RT has come along for the ride but I'm almost paranoid to test my 1RM on the thing haha. Hub is still abysmal but I also don't care much for it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thickbar training today at my buddies gym so I got to try out some new implements...

Axle Deadlift(2")-Worked up to 1x1(295lbs) 1x300(fail but pulled to about knee height)

Axle Deadlift Block Pulls-1x1(300lbs) then I think I did 3 drop sets of dubs and trips followed by 1xhold(235lbs) with regualr grip and 1xhold(185) thumbless grip. 

Adjustable Thickbar(60mm)-Triples up to 3x3(180lbs?) 

Adjustable Thickbar(75mm?)-1x5(145?)

Axle(2") Thumbless Reverse Curls-3x8(70lbs)

It was so sh*tty to fail the 300 axle from floor full rom height but I can tell it's right their. From the blocks 300 was a fair bit easier. One of my main shorter term grip goals was  doing a 300lb 2" axle deadlift. Good to know I'm nearly at that point. I'd like to get to be able to axle deadlift 315lbs on command any day of the week. Still a ways to go but currently my axle, 2" & 3" pinch and grippers are moving up so I can't complain. I'm hoping my RT has come along for the ride but I'm almost paranoid to test my 1RM on the thing haha. Hub is still abysmal but I also don't care much for it. 

Great job man. 295 axle full lift is awesome. The 300lbs moved thats the main thing. Always next time. 

A good thing to do is next time, first make sure you are fresh and recovered. Warm up upto about 280-285lbs on the axle then switch to do a regular Oly bar deadlift for about 330lbs-350lbs. 

Then attempt 300lb on the axle. It should fly up. It will "trick" your CNS and Body into thinking the 300lbs is lighter than it is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great job man. 295 axle full lift is awesome. The 300lbs moved thats the main thing. Always next time. 

A good thing to do is next time, first make sure you are fresh and recovered. Warm up upto about 280-285lbs on the axle then switch to do a regular Oly bar deadlift for about 330lbs-350lbs. 

Then attempt 300lb on the axle. It should fly up. It will "trick" your CNS and Body into thinking the 300lbs is lighter than it is. 

Thanks brother never thought of that method but it makes sense. I'll give it a go next time I test my axle max 👍

• Like 1