Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

Hi everyone, starting a training log to document my progress and failures in the sport of Armlifting. I'm a washed up former competitive powerlifter and I found a new sport in Armlifting which lets me balance being a Dad and not beating up my body as much. My goals are in no specific order...

1.Compete in physical Armlifting competitions(once there are less restrictions). 

2.Certify on some of the Ironmind certs such as the Crushed to Dust Challenge and the COC 3. 

3.Lift the Inch 

Some of the equipment I own and will be discussed here is...

50mm Arm Assassin Axle

2 & 3 inch adjustable Arm Assassin pinch blocks. I use these with my 12 inch loading pin to mimic a saxon bar setup sort of comparable to how some gripsters use the Napalms Nightmare pinch blocks to mimic the saxon bar. The 3 inch block will be the main focus peaking into a meet as its the width used in Armlifting meets on the Sorinex saxon bar. 

Ironmind Silver Bullet and Credit Cards

COC Grippers, Robert Baraban Adjustable Gripper and a couple of rated GHP's. 

Arm Assassin 2 3/8 Wrist Wrench

Rolling Thunder

Hub

Blockbuster Pinchblock

Wrist Reinforcer 

Stacker

2 inch and 2 7/8 inch loadable dumbbells from Arm Assassin

• Like 6

Today's training went well, I set a number of PR's today so I'm happy about that.

RB adjustable gripper-Credit Card sets up to a 1RM. I got the easiest spring on the highest level(level 10) which according to Cannon Powerworks ratings would be an RGC 110. Very happy with this as my best CCS close is a COC 2(not rated but I'd guess 107ish based off how my rated grippers feel). Did 1 drop set of 10 reps in each hand at either level 7 or 8?

Two Hand 3 inch pinch block to mimic saxon bar-145lbsx1 for a new PR. Did a 1x10 drop set for additional volume with 106lbs and held it on the last rep for about 25-30 seconds. Very happy with this result as I'm gunning for a 70ish kg 3 inch saxon bar deadlift at my first Armlifting meet. 

2 3/8 Wrist Wrench wrist curls-1x10(15lbs) 1x10(20lbs) 1x8(25lbs)**new PR! Previous 8rm was with 1.25lbs less so this felt great after the 3 inch pinch and adjustable PR's. 

Wrist Reinforcer-tons of pronation and supination levering work. Not a weight PR but felt very strong and comfortable, got a fair amount of volume on this until my wrists and forearms said nope lol. 

• Like 4

Went to the playground today with my family. Did a bunch of axle(2") neutral grip pull ups+long iso holds on the monkey bars. I can see why armwrestling legend Travis Bagent swears by these albeit using a cupped hand position. Mine where performed using a thumbless neutral wrist position keeping pressure on my fingers. 

• Like 2

More Armlifting training today, very happy with the results.

Rolling Thunder Holds-worked up to 106lbsx25 seconds. I try to perform these in a weaker position using a neutral straight arm to work on weaknesses. Typically when I max on the RT I tend to lift it more like Alexy Tyukalov using the bent arm position as I seem to be strongest in this style. I did 1 drop set with 81lbsx36 seconds. In hindsight I should have done 86lbs at least as this was suprisingly easy! Guess its a good problem to have lol. 

Axle Shrugs-3x20(125-175-145drop set) I held on forever after the 20th rep of each set, specifically the last set at 145lbs....held it so long I got bored and set the bar down lol. The key here is TUT at all costs(time under tension).

Axle Wrist Curls-4x12(45lbs-65lbs-2x75lbs) smoked my wrists and forearms. Quality volume.

Wrist Reinforcer-lots of supination and pronation. Added a bunch of micro plates as I'm really improving on this device! Momentum is moving in the right direction. 

Finished with some kettlebell goblet squats and a walk because I ate too many mushroom calzones last night haha. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Armlifting training today. Bodyweight was 102kg. 

CCS Grippers-warmed up with the COC sport, trainer, #1 then did 10x1 singles with the COC 1.5. Unfortunately it's not rated but it moved very well today, probably could of done these singles with my unrated COC 2. Happy with this progress. 

Ironmind Blockbuster Pinch Block-Worked up to 3x3 with 50lbs. Had to reset the grip on the last set to get the full 3 reps. I overshot the pounds and got greedy as I should've kept the weight 2.5-3lbs lighter but given my PR is 59.1 lbs its possible I may have 60 in me for a solid single. How those Finnish guys get 110+ on this thing is beyond me haha. 

Axle Thumbless Reverse Curls-4x8 with 75lbs. This is a nice volume PR for me. This accessory exercise I feel carries over nicely to other grip movements. 

• Like 4

More training today, bodyweight is still 102kg. 

Axle RDL-Used all of the plates I had lol. Worked up to 1x6 with 238lbs for a PR. Very happy with this as the RPE was a 9 so I think 7 reps was in the cards. What I love about axle rdl's is you get increased time under tension(tut) because you never reset the bar on the ground making it very challenging. My best deadlift ever was 290kg/639lbs conventional stance so the weight is not even close to being the limiting factor here, sadly it's just the grip 🙄

Sumo Stance Axle Timed Holds-1x238lbs for 23 seconds. 

Thumbless Axle Rows-1x8(135lbs) 1x8(145lbs) back was lit up from all of the pullups I've done in the previous days so I didn't push these as my lats were already destroyed lol. 

Thumbless Axle Shrugs-2x15(173lbs)

Axle Curls-3x8(75lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer-lots of levering work in all directions. 

Happy with the direction my axle is going. I'm now prepping for my first Armlifting USA competition at the Olympia in Orlando, Florida. This is pending any new restrictions or border issues of course. I'm gunning for my first 300lb+ axle, so maybe 137.5kg/303lbs? 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 7:33 PM, Bigfoot Grip said:

More training today, bodyweight is still 102kg. 

Axle RDL-Used all of the plates I had lol. Worked up to 1x6 with 238lbs for a PR. Very happy with this as the RPE was a 9 so I think 7 reps was in the cards. What I love about axle rdl's is you get increased time under tension(tut) because you never reset the bar on the ground making it very challenging. My best deadlift ever was 290kg/639lbs conventional stance so the weight is not even close to being the limiting factor here, sadly it's just the grip 🙄

Sumo Stance Axle Timed Holds-1x238lbs for 23 seconds. 

Thumbless Axle Rows-1x8(135lbs) 1x8(145lbs) back was lit up from all of the pullups I've done in the previous days so I didn't push these as my lats were already destroyed lol. 

Thumbless Axle Shrugs-2x15(173lbs)

Axle Curls-3x8(75lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer-lots of levering work in all directions. 

Happy with the direction my axle is going. I'm now prepping for my first Armlifting USA competition at the Olympia in Orlando, Florida. This is pending any new restrictions or border issues of course. I'm gunning for my first 300lb+ axle, so maybe 137.5kg/303lbs? 

Wow man a 639 deadlift is insane very strong good job man. Do you still do any powerlifting style training at all? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Wow man a 639 deadlift is insane very strong good job man. Do you still do any powerlifting style training at all? 

Thanks bro appreciate the kind words. 

No more powerlifting these days, I used to compete and coach in powerlifting though. Almost had a 400lb raw paused bench as a natty(391lbs/177.5kg was my all time PR) These days I'm all in on grip haha, trying to be an armlifter now and compete. It's cool to follow your training log and see that you do powerlifting type workouts and grip as it  brings back the nostalgia lol. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks bro appreciate the kind words. 

No more powerlifting these days, I used to compete and coach in powerlifting though. Almost had a 400lb raw paused bench as a natty(391lbs/177.5kg was my all time PR) These days I'm all in on grip haha, trying to be an armlifter now and compete. It's cool to follow your training log and see that you do powerlifting type workouts and grip as it  brings back the nostalgia lol. 

That is so strong man. I don’t think I’ll ever get there but I’ll keep trying and see what I can get.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 4:53 AM, Nuttgens said:

That is so strong man. I don’t think I’ll ever get there but I’ll keep trying and see what I can get.

Maybe but never say never. You're a strong dude and to be fair you look lean, maybe if you gained some more weight your bench, ohp and squat could be even stronger.  

• Like 1

Training today with my new FBBC Pro Dumbbell handle(2.5 inch). I was pressed for time so I did an AMRAP in 30 minutes. Weight was 97.2lbs and I tightened the bolts for max rotation. Results were 34 reps-right hand and 32 reps-left hand. Interesting feel of the handle as it doesn't produce quite as much violent rotation of my wrist wrench but still has a ton of spin! 

• Like 1

Didn't log my last 2 workouts as they were non grip related. These workouts mostly consisted of pull up variations, barbell squats, and bottoms up kettlebell presses. 

Grip training today....

Hub-39.5lbs(PR is 41.4lbs) x 1 L&R drop set 28lbs x 8 L&R

1H 2" Pinch Block-3x3 top set was a PR 55.6lbsx3 L&R 1x10+hold drop set w/43lbs L&R

2H Key Pinch(using ironmind hub)-5x1 w/55.6lbs **never tried this before. Didn't max out instead I just held the weight for a bit. Clearly I suck at this lol.

Wrist Wrench Wrist Curls-3x10

Wrist Reinforcer-Lots of levering work. Sets of 20 reps. 

I'm realizing to improve the hub I have to train it. From day 1 into my journey of grip the hub was my worst event. I slack on it and hope things like my 2" 2H & 1H pinch and even grippers would translate over to the hub, but it never seems to be the case. I've read other gripsters won't even train it and when they test their hub max they set PR's.....must be nice haha. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Didn't log my last 2 workouts as they were non grip related. These workouts mostly consisted of pull up variations, barbell squats, and bottoms up kettlebell presses. 

Grip training today....

Hub-39.5lbs(PR is 41.4lbs) x 1 L&R drop set 28lbs x 8 L&R

1H 2" Pinch Block-3x3 top set was a PR 55.6lbsx3 L&R 1x10+hold drop set w/43lbs L&R

2H Key Pinch(using ironmind hub)-5x1 w/55.6lbs **never tried this before. Didn't max out instead I just held the weight for a bit. Clearly I suck at this lol.

Wrist Wrench Wrist Curls-3x10

Wrist Reinforcer-Lots of levering work. Sets of 20 reps. 

I'm realizing to improve the hub I have to train it. From day 1 into my journey of grip the hub was my worst event. I slack on it and hope things like my 2" 2H & 1H pinch and even grippers would translate over to the hub, but it never seems to be the case. I've read other gripsters won't even train it and when they test their hub max they set PR's.....must be nice haha. 

Nice man. How do your do the 2H key pinch with the hub? I want to give it a try. I don’t know what it is about the hub but I never want to pick it up either. Only tried it twice but the second time was heavier than the first so maybe I’ll be able to just pick it up and pr it from training other things haha. 

• Like 1

I feel you I hate the hub lol but I wish I could warm up to it. For the key pinch I just pinch the side of the hub with my thumb and index finger. My index finger is mostly horitzontal and my thumb vertical. Unfortunately I have no clue if this is the correct way of doing it lol. 

• Like 1

Glad to see you started a log man. Ill be checking in on this. Some great lifts logged so far. Keep up the good work 💪

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Glad to see you started a log man. Ill be checking in on this. Some great lifts logged so far. Keep up the good work 💪

Thanks bro and same to you, I like your log and how you incorporate calisthenics 👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks bro and same to you, I like your log and how you incorporate calisthenics 👍

👍 i do and include weighted dips as believe they are very important for overall upper body strength and keep the elbows balanced strength wise with all the pulling i do. Also they help me with heavier gripper setting strength.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WestSlope said:

I swear the Pro Dumbbell handle can't be beat in training to lift the Inch. There is value in the heavier loading on the fingers vs the wrist wrench. It seems like such an obvious solution to me.

Thanks for your feedback. This is good to hear, I use the 2 3/8" arm assassin wrist wrench but I wasn't sure how closely it relates to my goal of lifting the inch. The fbbc pro bell wrecked my hands like no other device. 

Went to the gym today for some training instead of lifting at home...

DOH Blue Fat Gripz Deadlift(pried open on the bar so maybe 2.5"?) -3x1 w/255lbs RPE 10. Kicking myself for not bringing a measuring tape lol. 

DOH Fat Gripz One Deadlift(pried open I'd guess these were 2" diameter?)-1x1 w/305lbs super stoked for this as it felt I had maybe 310-312 in me. My gym has an axle(possibly rogue?) and when I compared how much of my hand wrapped around it as opposed to my pried open fat gripz ones they felt almost identical. I realize the texture changes things but at least its a ballpark reference point to go off. I don't have access to an ironmind axle so I do the best I can with what I have access to. 

DOH Blue Fat Gripz Deadlift-1x8 w/205lbs

DOH Blue Fat Gripz Shrugs-1x10 w/155lbs and 1x10 w/135lbs....should of gone heavier on these 🙄

Supinated Pullups-4x5

BB Finger Curls-2x20 w/95lbs

Hanging Leg Raises-2x10....I'm lazy

40mins treadmill

• Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 5:02 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Went to the gym today for some training instead of lifting at home...

DOH Blue Fat Gripz Deadlift(pried open on the bar so maybe 2.5"?) -3x1 w/255lbs RPE 10. Kicking myself for not bringing a measuring tape lol. 

DOH Fat Gripz One Deadlift(pried open I'd guess these were 2" diameter?)-1x1 w/305lbs super stoked for this as it felt I had maybe 310-312 in me. My gym has an axle(possibly rogue?) and when I compared how much of my hand wrapped around it as opposed to my pried open fat gripz ones they felt almost identical. I realize the texture changes things but at least its a ballpark reference point to go off. I don't have access to an ironmind axle so I do the best I can with what I have access to. 

DOH Blue Fat Gripz Deadlift-1x8 w/205lbs

DOH Blue Fat Gripz Shrugs-1x10 w/155lbs and 1x10 w/135lbs....should of gone heavier on these 🙄

Supinated Pullups-4x5

BB Finger Curls-2x20 w/95lbs

Hanging Leg Raises-2x10....I'm lazy

40mins treadmill

Great fat gripz numbers. They are harder than an axle. Im not a fan of them for deads as they compress and move. You will pull more on an axle no doubt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great fat gripz numbers. They are harder than an axle. Im not a fan of them for deads as they compress and move. You will pull more on an axle no doubt.

I agree, not a fan of how the fat girpz feel at all. However the varying sizes are nice for variation. One thing that sucks about the fatgripz is some bars & handles pry them open more so you're left wondering what size your actually gripping lol. 

I did 2 workouts at the gym consisting of bb squats, db arnold presses, pullups and hip thrusts which I didn't bother to log. 

Todays training....

After talking to @Vinnie about MMS style gripper closes I decided to chill on the CCS and see what I could muster on grippers using the MMS style. 

MMS Warmups.....COC S, T, #1, #1.5 L & R

COC #2(not rated)-RH-3x1 LH-2x1 1xfail

GHP #5 Dube rated 122-1x1 RH only. This is a massive PR for me as I always believed the GHP 5 to be quite a personal milestone for any gripster, especially for a mere mortal such as myself lol. 

COC #2.5 Dube Rated 132-1xfail RH attempt only. Clearly have a ways to go on this gripper but it was closer then previous attempts in the past. Can't wait until the day I can CCS this gripper. 

Back off volume work...

COC #2-1x2 RH 1x1 LH

COC #1.5-1x5 RH & LH with a long overcrush hold on the 5th rep. More TUT in a mechanically disadvantaged position. 

COC #1-1x10 RH & LH w/ overcrush hold.

2H 3" AASS Pinch Block Timed Holds-1x115lbs x 20 seconds 1x120lbs x 25 seconds

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block-1x3w/55lbs R&L 1x8 w/45lbs R&L 

Axle Wrist Curls-3x12w/65lbs....could've gone heavier

• Like 5

Good idea. Once you've gained 30-50 lbs on your MMS you will see that you CCS will sky rocket once you start to train that again. I don't know what your goals are but if you plan on certing the #3, just build your MMS strength up beyond the #3. Don't even bother with CCS until you can close the #3 and preferably a harder gripper than that.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I did 2 workouts at the gym consisting of bb squats, db arnold presses, pullups and hip thrusts which I didn't bother to log. 

Todays training....

After talking to @Vinnie about MMS style gripper closes I decided to chill on the CCS and see what I could muster on grippers using the MMS style. 

MMS Warmups.....COC S, T, #1, #1.5 L & R

COC #2(not rated)-RH-3x1 LH-2x1 1xfail

GHP #5 Dube rated 122-1x1 RH only. This is a massive PR for me as I always believed the GHP 5 to be quite a personal milestone for any gripster, especially for a mere mortal such as myself lol. 

COC #2.5 Dube Rated 132-1xfail RH attempt only. Clearly have a ways to go on this gripper but it was closer then previous attempts in the past. Can't wait until the day I can CCS this gripper. 

Back off volume work...

COC #2-1x2 RH 1x1 LH

COC #1.5-1x5 RH & LH with a long overcrush hold on the 5th rep. More TUT in a mechanically disadvantaged position. 

COC #1-1x10 RH & LH w/ overcrush hold.

2H 3" AASS Pinch Block Timed Holds-1x115lbs x 20 seconds 1x120lbs x 25 seconds

1H 3" AASS Pinch Block-1x3w/55lbs R&L 1x8 w/45lbs R&L 

Axle Wrist Curls-3x12w/65lbs....could've gone heavier

Very nice session. 

Very Well done on the GHP5. That is also the strongest GHP 5 ive ever heard of. CPWs strongest on their chart is 119lbs so way to go man. Great pinch holds also.

You will get that coc 2.5 soon no doubt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Good idea. Once you've gained 30-50 lbs on your MMS you will see that you CCS will sky rocket once you start to train that again. I don't know what your goals are but if you plan on certing the #3, just build your MMS strength up beyond the #3. Don't even bother with CCS until you can close the #3 and preferably a harder gripper than that.

From my own experience, it's more than just "preferably" a harder gripper that one would need to close MMS before he can CCS a 3.  Recently I got very, very close to an MMS close on a 3.5 rated 165, and I did close a 3.5 rated 165 that was chokered to parallel.  But my best CCS is a 3 rated 145, and I cannot do that every single time, just on a good day.  So I would estimate that I will not be truly ready to cert the 3 (since I may well get one harder than 145) until I can MMS at least an average 3.5.  And I am good at wide set closes, so I'd bet that for almost anyone, until you can MMS close at least an easy 3.5, you probably are not going to be ready to CCS a hard 3.  But yeah, no matter how good you are at wide sets, at the very least, you need to be able to MMS close a 3 before you will CCS it bc of course: MMS is easier, after all.

• Like 2