Road to the #3 cert and potentially more

Jermiah Merciconah

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to log this session, I didn't record a whole heap as i didn't think i'd do too good after doing one handed deadlifts the other day with 315 on the bar

My hard 3 is basically no obstacle at this point, There's no shaking or struggling, It just closes

Can close the cobalt for multiple reps in a workout which should have me about the level required to close my 3.5

Another annoying tidbit about where i now have my setup placed is my gripper shelf is directly overhead, Combine that with an extremely oversized subwoofer, When i'm bumping music too loud grippers shake off the shelf, Clocked myself in the head with the RB 300 walking itself off the shelf

• Like 4

That’ll knock some sense into you

• Like 1

Something i just randomly decided to pull out of nowhere at 3 in the morning, Was inspired by @Nick K. to do a block set attempt, I didn't know how it was gonna go since i really don't train and honestly don't like doing block set closes, And its not clearly visible due to my phone camera literally focusing on nothing but i r**ed it

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I've been away from posting in this log because i've just been trying to train without worrying about recording closes, I've been stuck in the 160RGC range for like the longest time and i don't know how to progress, Starting to get annoyed at the "one step forward one step back" routine thats been going on, On some days i can close the Cobalt, On some days i can barely bring it past parallel and i haven't been getting stronger

• 1 month later...

Alright lads its been a while since i've posted here and i'm coming back SWINGING, Crossed a huge milestone this morning, Had one of those "wake up and you're suddenly 20% stronger" moments

This is actually the second rep on the 3.5 in the workout, The first rep felt so easy i thought i accidentally grabbed the 3, I did 3 singles total with what felt like plenty of gas left in the tank

Tried a 3.5 CCS attempt but i was mad gassed between rounds of grippers and deadlift

This 3.5 felt easy enough to be confident in moving up to some bigger tier grippers like my GG6 or my RB300

• Like 8

On 4/10/2022 at 12:33 AM, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Alright lads its been a while since i've posted here and i'm coming back SWINGING, Crossed a huge milestone this morning, Had one of those "wake up and you're suddenly 20% stronger" moments

This is actually the second rep on the 3.5 in the workout, The first rep felt so easy i thought i accidentally grabbed the 3, I did 3 singles total with what felt like plenty of gas left in the tank

Tried a 3.5 CCS attempt but i was mad gassed between rounds of grippers and deadlift

This 3.5 felt easy enough to be confident in moving up to some bigger tier grippers like my GG6 or my RB300

Welcome back man!

I am glad you're making progress again.

• Like 1

Wow, awesome work. That's a heavy close, and an excellent CCS attempt. How is your No. 3 CCS? Think you could make a cert attempt?

4 hours ago, Jared P said:

Wow, awesome work. That's a heavy close, and an excellent CCS attempt. How is your No. 3 CCS? Think you could make a cert attempt?

Yeah i'm definitely considering going for a cert attempt, I'll start training for it once i knock off the last 2 grippers in my current goal, Which is the GG6 and the RB300, Then i'll get a few weeks of practice in to true up my technique for the CCS, By then i should be overkill for the 3 cert

• Like 2

Back to training on grippers regularly, I've set up my week to basically revolve around when i'm gonna train grippers, So i've stopped doing anything back related until grip day, Then i do bench afterwards, Doing all my push stuff before grip, And all the pull stuff after grip

A 3.5 close from the gym, Honestly feeling easier and easier, I remember the 3 feeling like this late last year

And a cobalt close from the same session, Can clack it for reps even after a 3.5, Getting far stronger than i would have thought

Other miscellaneous work includes 5 #3 closes, 5 RB260 closes, 200kg farmers carry for distance with the frame tilted forward (i find it hits my pinky and ring finger more tilted forward)

• Like 9

Yeah, the 3.5 closes deserve a few more clicks.  Nice work.  I only see the posts that come up in the top 5 whenever I sign in, so I probably miss a lot just from chance.  I don't usually go back and browse unless I am specifically looking for a topic or was told to find something.

I have only closed one 3.5, my easy one, rated 165, a couple of times and wouldn't be able to now.  I was getting it for a solid MMS single right around when I certed the 3.  We all work differently, but I think being able to MMS close a 3.5 is right about where you need to be to (reliably) CCS close a 3.  For me, anyway.

Hope to see you cert soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, the 3.5 closes deserve a few more clicks.  Nice work.  I only see the posts that come up in the top 5 whenever I sign in, so I probably miss a lot just from chance.  I don't usually go back and browse unless I am specifically looking for a topic or was told to find something.

I have only closed one 3.5, my easy one, rated 165, a couple of times and wouldn't be able to now.  I was getting it for a solid MMS single right around when I certed the 3.  We all work differently, but I think being able to MMS close a 3.5 is right about where you need to be to (reliably) CCS close a 3.  For me, anyway.

Hope to see you cert soon.

Damn thats probably one of the lightest 3.5s i've seen out in the wild, I'm not too sure how hard my 3.5 is but its definitely harder than my Cobalt

Yeah my plan for the cert is a lofty one, If i can get my RB 300 for a single MMS rep i'm gonna go for the 3 cert, By then it would probably look like a toy which is the plan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just logging a small session today after some time at a friend's place not being able to work out

Had a solid attempt at the GG6, Not quite sure what the rating is but its pretty far ahead of my hard 3.5 and not far behind my RB300 in terms of feel, Got within 1/6 of an inch, I'm so close

Closed my hard 3.5 for 2 reps, I thought i'd be gassed out after such a hard attempt but was surprised i had the gas in the tank for 1 MMS and a DS

Closed my cobalt for 4 MMS reps, Its basically become my full time working gripper now, Replacing my #3, Overall a pretty great session

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Just logging a small session today after some time at a friend's place not being able to work out

Had a solid attempt at the GG6, Not quite sure what the rating is but its pretty far ahead of my hard 3.5 and not far behind my RB300 in terms of feel, Got within 1/6 of an inch, I'm so close

Closed my hard 3.5 for 2 reps, I thought i'd be gassed out after such a hard attempt but was surprised i had the gas in the tank for 1 MMS and a DS

Closed my cobalt for 4 MMS reps, Its basically become my full time working gripper now, Replacing my #3, Overall a pretty great session

Really strong man!! Good job!

Are you not more then ready to cert for the #3?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Really strong man!! Good job!

Are you not more then ready to cert for the #3?

The 3 cert is definitely on my soon-to-be's, But my plan is to be able to get 1 or 2 solid MMS reps on the RB 300 before i go for the 3 cert, So that i can make the 3 look like a toy by the time i get to it, After that its road to closing the 4 and potentially the 3.5 cert, But thats a while away

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

The 3 cert is definitely on my soon-to-be's, But my plan is to be able to get 1 or 2 solid MMS reps on the RB 300 before i go for the 3 cert, So that i can make the 3 look like a toy by the time i get to it, After that its road to closing the 4 and potentially the 3.5 cert, But thats a while away

How much RGC is your RB300?

12 hours ago, SteinWillems1 said:

How much RGC is your RB300?

I'm not too sure, I don't have any rated grippers as they're way way too expensive to buy from cannon but its definitely in the 180 range

Small update, It was expensive to get shipped here but i've just ordered a 176 RGC Standard Titanium, I have no idea when its gonna get here but its gonna let me know better where i'm at in terms of strength

• Like 3

Pretty productive session today, I received my 176 rated Titanium from @Cannontoday and took it for a spin, I think one more grip session and i'll have it down

Hit 4 reps on my Cobalt directly afterward followed by 4 reps on the #3 to finish off the session

I've basically completely stopped using lower grippers which i suppose is an achievement in and of itself

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Been a brick since i had a session this good, Maybe its all the food i've been eating recently, Decided to up the calories again and my full body strength exploded

3 reps on the 3.5 but i'm a trash photographer so i didn't upload that

3 MMS reps of the Cobalt, I could pretty much cert the MM1 whenever i want if it weren't prohibitively expensive

3 reps on my hard 3 as a warmdown finisher

Also tried something different, RGT negatives on the cable row machine, Row the handle out with both hands then resist it back to rest with one hand, Made me redline so hard i got a headache

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Alright lads its been a brick since i've been on here, Decided to stop documenting and just knuckle down and train, Got a few things i wanna get down

First i crushed my brand new 3.5 for reps before summarily getting injured on something unrelated (I'm all back and fine now)

355lb paused bench for 1 (7 foot wingspan got me down bad)

I'm now 141kg bodyweight but alot leaner than i was, Much more muscle packed onto the frame

Had my first armwrestling supermatch in brisbane with a flop presser, Smacked him 5-1

And first time bending went through a blue nail like it wasn't even there

Overall life's been pretty good

IMG_2875.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome back....  Glad to see you've been killing it.

I've never head the expression "its been a brick"  but i'm going to start using it. Thats a good one.

• Like 3

Yeah man been getting that work in lately, Complete transformation so to speak, Might bring more nails to push day

Yeah its kind of like a "brick of time" in the figurative sense

Gonna be posting here more often as i charge towards my ultimate goal of closing the #4

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Yeah man been getting that work in lately, Complete transformation so to speak, Might bring more nails to push day

Yeah its kind of like a "brick of time" in the figurative sense

Gonna be posting here more often as i charge towards my ultimate goal of closing the #4

Good luck, your gonna close it. 

Bending is great, probably my favorite thing to do.  Just don't over do it in the bending in the beginning.