Road to the #3 cert and potentially more

Jermiah Merciconah

Hey guys i'm Jermiah and i'm pretty new to the Gripboard, I've been doing grip since mid March and i'm smitten, This will be my training log for the forseeable future which will contain successes and failures of various calibers

My stats

Height: 200cm

Weight: 138kg (I'm trying to get diced to the socks)

Hands: 9+ inches (If this even matters)

• Like 3

Here's a pretty recent close, Trying out different set techniques

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Hey guys i'm Jermiah and i'm pretty new to the Gripboard, I've been doing grip since mid March and i'm smitten, This will be my training log for the forseeable future which will contain successes and failures of various calibers

My stats

Height: 200cm

Weight: 138kg (I'm trying to get diced to the socks)

Hands: 9+ inches (If this even matters)

Yes it matters a lot. Looking at your stats it appears you have great genetics to become very good in gripsport. Just stick with it and train diligently and I think you have a very good chance to go very far in this sport.

• Like 3

Very strong close man! I think the hand size is going to be of great advantage when it comes to certification closes with a credit card set. There's an awesome road ahead of you, best of luck! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Previously i was using my CoC #2 as my light training gripper according to Nathan's program, But now i've managed to graduate to the GHP 6 which feels pretty easy

• Like 2

Left hand isn't quite as strong but did a bit of stack training, Failed at the GHP 7

• Like 2

Major sick day today but still gotta get the work in, Closed a CoC #3 while recovering from covid booster shot

• Like 1

Hello, mate!

Good job on the closes. You already have a pretty strong grip for only beeing at it for a couple of months. You seem to have a lot of potential!

Have you done any other sports in the past?

Also props to you for showing your face on video. A lot of closes on YT only show hands, therefore it could be virtully anyone. I dig it!

I suggest doing some extensor work with rubber bands too, it seems like it helps with recovery also.

Good luck with your training.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 9:22 PM, Benedikt Farsmann said:

Hello, mate!

Good job on the closes. You already have a pretty strong grip for only beeing at it for a couple of months. You seem to have a lot of potential!

Have you done any other sports in the past?

Also props to you for showing your face on video. A lot of closes on YT only show hands, therefore it could be virtully anyone. I dig it!

I suggest doing some extensor work with rubber bands too, it seems like it helps with recovery also.

Good luck with your training.

Sorry for late reply mate, For some reason i didn't see any notifs coming through for Gripboard, I appreciate the praise

I was and still do train for strongman, have done comps in the past

I'm not really ashamed to show my face as i find it humanizes the man behind the closes

Oh don't get me wrong i definitely prioritise recovery work, Infact only around 1/4 of my workout is centered around strength, My usual workout is as follows

#1 Warmups depending on what i'm doing if its grippers or rolling implements i'll usually start off light to get the cracks out of my knuckles

#2 Usually go straight into my top set heavy stuff, If i can close it consistently for a couple of singles thats when i know its time to move up

#3 Go load some weight on an ez curl bar and do high volume bicep work, Not really focused on hitting the bicep itself more so getting blood into the hand muscles and forearms

#4 I have a bucket full of superfine beach sand that i run my hands through for a good 40 minutes each hand, By the end of it my hands usually look like inflatable balloons, Then i go take a shower

• Like 1

As for more closes, Just hit this big milestone on my quest to big grippers 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Well done!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Congrats man. That’s very impressive 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Incredible progress! Considering that you started not that long ago, that’s incredibly impressive! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Incredible progress! Considering that you started not that long ago, that’s incredibly impressive! 

Thanks my man, After smashing this milestone i'm hopefully gonna be within striking distance of my CoC 3.5, I've been reading your training log, You're quite the impressive closer yourself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grip felt pretty good today despite running on negative hours of sleep and no food, I have no doubt that i could have done far better if i had both of those criteria

Unfortunately no videos of closes because  i was on discord video with the bois but today's training went as follows

2 reps on CoC 2 to warm up

2 attempts at the CoC 3.5 getting P A I N F U L L Y close to it, Within millimeters

2 reps of the GHP 8

2 reps of the CoC 3

2 reps of the GHP 7

And 2 reps of the Grip Genie level 5 (The red one)

Could feel that i was really wobbly and shaky on the closes due to being extremely carb deficient (Being 300+lbs and not eating for 5-6 hours is not conducive to good strength) 

• Like 4

Back again with another training session, This one didn't go so well either and i'm not quite sure why

Wasn't really gonna post this due to it being an extremely sus and shaky close but i did anyway

Tried some CCS on the #3 but made it about 5mm from closed so not real satisfied with that

• Like 4

CoC #3 is getting much easier to close from a deep set, Not finding myself straining as much and shaking to keep it closed

• Like 1

An observation relating to grip strength that i was recently reminded of from talking to some friends, And that is the subject of super heavy grip training affecting your hand dexterity, I haven't been in the game very long so i'm not sure i can comment but i like to think that i've approached a level of strength that most people would assume you'd have side effects from,  but i haven't noticed any, For example not to toot my own horn but i'm a pretty prolific piano player yet i have these big lumbering ham hocks on the ends of my arms, Not to say a few years down the line it won't be the case

Edited by Jermiah Merciconah

7 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

An observation relating to grip strength that i was recently reminded of from talking to some friends, And that is the subject of super heavy grip training affecting your hand dexterity, I haven't been in the game very long so i'm not sure i can comment but i like to think that i've approached a level of strength that most people would assume you'd have side effects from,  but i haven't noticed any, For example not to toot my own horn but i'm a pretty prolific piano player yet i have these big lumbering ham hocks on the ends of my arms, Not to say a few years down the line it won't be the case

I've seen people claim this on various musical forums and it's always from people with very strong opinions and very weak hands. It's a bunch of BS.

There are no negative effects from heavy grip training as long as you don't get injured.

I've played guitar for 20+ years. In fact technically I have never been more proficient on the guitar. I'm way better than I was before I started grip training.

Here's the thing, if you stop playing your instrument, then your skill will decline. Doesn't matter if you train your hands hard or not. In order to keep your skill and develop it further you need to practice your instrument.

One thing to be aware of with heavy grip training though. Is with some exercises, like thick bar and pinch, the muscles in the forearm can get extremely fatigued and sore. When they do it can be difficult to play your instrument until you're fully recovered. This is only a temporary thing. Once your muscles are recovered you won't feel any side effects anymore. But if you don't play during this time you might lose some skill on your instrument. But look at this realistically. You will not train this super hard every time you train your grip, so you will not suffer from this fatigue enough for it to become a problem.

If you train smart, grip training will actually help you get better at your instrument. Doing sledge hammer finger walks, dexterity balls, extensor work etc will increase your muscle endurance. It has helped me with my guitar playing. I can practice my guitar way more now than I could before because of this.

Also, playing the guitar and piano can actually help you with grip training as well. It's really great as active recovery in between grip workouts.

Yeah i've found the same honestly, Grip training has been nothing but beneficial towards my piano playing, I find i have alot more control over the dynamics of the piano, How loud i can play at one point, And how softly i can, You don't get those clumsy lumbering hands unless you allow them to become so

Recent session while i was still out my friend's farm, Not quite closed but getting closer each session 

I've also gone out and acquired myself a rice bucket at the suggestion of a couple gripster mates, After blowing my hand up like a water balloon i can safely say it was the best 10 bucks i've ever spent

• Like 2

No gripper closes today but a fun little challenge that i've always been fond of but the nuts have been out of season for a while

Managed to get some training in today, I've got an ulnar nerve issue in my wrist atm so thats keeping me from training my right but my left is feeling strong

I'm actually quite fond of the GD Iron Grip, Aside from the fact that the handles don't touch when closed (Due to 2 metal spurs at the top of the handles, You should be able to see them) It feels really nice to close, And i like the ability to set the handle spread to where you want it to practice choked closes

Few more walnut cracks in quick succession Denis style, Got stuck on the last walnut (came back to it at the end) because it was a particularly thick nut

Its ya boi back again with some closes, Only recorded the biggest one because my camera records the files absolutely massive

GHP 8 close, Wasn't entirely sure if it was closed but it looks closed atleast

Hit 6 CoC #3 DS closes and 3 MMS closes (slightly wider), I tore the skin in my palm again so i just wrapped a sock around the handle and kept going, Hasn't damaged it any further

• Like 5