Alex's grip log - journey from the start

Alex K

Awesome! I never had the chance to try a rolling handle, I might get the RGT with my next CPW order. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Are you taking a break from grippers are doing this on top of grippers? I agree, the RGT is extremely difficult

Definitely no breaks in sight 🫡 grippers are still my main focus, just implementing some armlifting to see how this goes :)

I felt like not trying any armlifting might not be so good, better to be strong overall. I also feel like this might benefit grippers in the long shot, despite potentially slowing down progress at early stages  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex K said:

Definitely no breaks in sight 🫡 grippers are still my main focus, just implementing some armlifting to see how this goes :)

I felt like not trying any armlifting might not be so good, better to be strong overall. I also feel like this might benefit grippers in the long shot, despite potentially slowing down progress at early stages  

Great additions to the gym. The two rolling handles you have couldn't be any different. Although ive never used a RT.. Just speaking from what ive read from others and what i know about the RGT. Its a very slick handle, technique is very important on it. Id even almost recommend training with the RT first just to build up the  general strength with a  rolling handle.

1 hour ago, matek said:

Awesome! I never had the chance to try a rolling handle, I might get the RGT with my next CPW order. 

Your way stronger than me but if your going to get a rolling handle, i wouldn't recommend the RGT as your first unless it was for a comp you are training towards. 

And i'm not knocking the handle, i love it, used it for a solid year. But at least in my experience its so slick, if you don't have the strength and technique dialed in which is harder because its slick. Progress will be very slow.   I think if i built the strength up with another handle first id of have different results. The Crusher has been real good to me.

Either way, great collection of stuff now and have fun training with it. 

• Like 2

Thank you! I am training both the RT and RGT, they have quite a different feel!

As for preps, maybe the CTD is something doable. I‘d need to get a small bit stronger on the RT, most I‘ve done was somewhere around 80kgs but with my left, because my right was dead from grippers :D 

• 2 months later...

Big 2024 Update - it is a year for big grip goals! 

After picking up Armlifting, I constantly had issues with my right hand due to overtraining on all types of rolling handles (especially due to very heavy attempts). This has also slightly limited my gripper training, so I switched to choker closes where the wrist and hand were feeling good. This issue has fully resolved itself and I am back to my regular training - but with a twist!

In the past few weeks I have been maximizing my grip training, especially focusing on CCS and wide set closes now. The reason being quite simple - it's time to cert the #3! 

As of right now, the gap between my max CCS close and max. deep set close is pretty large - while closing grippers in the 180s from a deep set, and closing my 208 #4 from a 6-8mm choked position, average #3s were a "luck" thing, mainly due to my CCS form being less developed. I have implemented CCS closes into my regular workouts, closing various #3s (lighter ones for some reps) from a CCS.

As soon as I feel 100% confident closing my heavier #3s, I will apply for the cert right away! For now, I am lacking around 5-7 RGC closing power from the credit card set width, which I'll have to account for with very intense training!

Luckily, the rolling handle abuse and occasional breaks haven't thrown me back in grippers, so I am simply going to continue the journey!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Alex K said:

After picking up Armlifting, I constantly had issues with my right hand due to overtraining on all types of rolling handles (especially due to very heavy attempts). This has also slightly limited my gripper training, so I switched to choker closes where the wrist and hand were feeling good. This issue has fully resolved itself and I am back to my regular training - but with a twist!

In the past few weeks I have been maximizing my grip training, especially focusing on CCS and wide set closes now. The reason being quite simple - it's time to cert the #3! 

As of right now, the gap between my max CCS close and max. deep set close is pretty large - while closing grippers in the 180s from a deep set, and closing my 208 #4 from a 6-8mm choked position, average #3s were a "luck" thing, mainly due to my CCS form being less developed. I have implemented CCS closes into my regular workouts, closing various #3s (lighter ones for some reps) from a CCS.

As soon as I feel 100% confident closing my heavier #3s, I will apply for the cert right away! For now, I am lacking around 5-7 RGC closing power from the credit card set width, which I'll have to account for with very intense training!

Luckily, the rolling handle abuse and occasional breaks haven't thrown me back in grippers, so I am simply going to continue the journey!

Exciting times, I know you will do it but good luck. 

What is your current CCS max?

I'm sure if you could CCS something in the high 150s you will be covered for the cert.

• Like 3

Thanks guys! :)

I haven't tested my absolute max yet to be honest, but I consistently close my lighter #3s up to 145 (141 for a few reps), even with slightly poor form. I think my best close was my 151 #3 but that wasn't a great close due to the set being slightly off. 

I feel like improving the set changes so much about how well the closes go. I have mastered MMS and DS closes, and while the CCS is a less demanding set in terms of setting power, it surely requires some fine adjustments. I feel like I have found my comfortable set now, so now it's just strength that has to be built.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Alex K said:

Thats great man. Good luck on everything.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1