Alex's grip log - journey from the start

Alex K

Training update:

After pulling some RGT I literally couldn’t close my GHP1 for a week due to it being so painful, reminded me of how you get T-Rex arms after hitting biceps very hard after a prolonged break. I guess it‘s cause the RGT is something really new to me. But everything‘s fine now, I‘m fully recovered! 

Had myself a nice workout today, mainly focused on doing heavier closes from wide sets. After 4 heavy sets of closes and attempts with my CoC#3 (150) from a BS/CCS, I decided to try and do some GHP7 closes from a Block Set, and it went extremely well! It‘s one of very few grippers I have from when I started, and it really is a good way to check if strength gains have been made - and they have! I did 3 confident reps with it, thinking I wouldn‘t do one rep cause it was set #5 and I was pretty sore already. It feels like I‘m back on track to make more strength gains! :) 

Maybe fresh it would’ve been 5 reps with the GHP7 BS, which would be a huge PR. But I‘ll probably stick to what I am doing now since it seems to be giving some decent results!

• Like 4

Nice

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 5:18 PM, Alexander Koss said:

IMG_2685.thumb.JPG.073e453f7a594ba503df785e1c216176.JPG

What are the dimensions of this washer?

I bought some machine bushings that are like washers today that had 38 mm inner diameter, I fit it on an ironmind guide which gave it a 32 mm spread, but to fit it on a standard pt 114 gripper I had to file the inside down a bit, and due to the bigger spring the handles were just Parallel.

Do you have a link to where this washer could be purchased or a name for it?

11 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

What are the dimensions of this washer?

I bought some machine bushings that are like washers today that had 38 mm inner diameter, I fit it on an ironmind guide which gave it a 32 mm spread, but to fit it on a standard pt 114 gripper I had to file the inside down a bit, and due to the bigger spring the handles were just Parallel.

Do you have a link to where this washer could be purchased or a name for it?

Inner diameter seems to be 43mm, I purchased them in Germany from a steel part shop, but I can't find it anymore... took a while to find those too. I suggest looking for spare part sellers for trucks or tractors, those use such kind of washers apparently :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Workout update:

Strength is feeling good these days, had myself a nice quick workout today, looked something like this:

• SG Co (163) - MMS close (PR)
  • SG Ti Choker (177) - 20mm attempt, got super close
  • SG Ti Choker (177) - 14mm close
  • SG Ti Choker (177) - 10mm close
  • CoC #3 (154) - MMSx2 reps
  • Finisher: super slow controlled beyond-CCS width reps with the GHP5 (110), just getting that good wide range in :)

Feels like I’m back in the game, going with the same flow like back in 2021 when everything was really intuitive. At some point around January I got a bit stuck due to technique adjustments on grippers and a minor shoulder injury, but I’m feeling much stronger right now than at my perceived peak somewhere after my MM1 cert! Trying not to overtrain and just focusing on heavy stuff seems to be working! 

• Like 5

Good to see you back in the game man, Its been a minute, Sometimes you just gotta get back to basics aye

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Good to see you back in the game man, Its been a minute, Sometimes you just gotta get back to basics aye

Thanks mate! That’s right… finding the right path in grip takes time and adjustments, but eventually we all get there :) 

• Like 1

"Basically, grippers" - Small story of two workouts:

After resting from smacking heavy grippers for 3 days, I decided it was finally time to close some heavy stuff. This was Friday (yesterday), I had a very intense week of thesis work and presentation, so I was kind of tired from a CNS standpoint, but in a good way of "tired" and in a good mood, so I decided to go for the workout anyways. Needless to say, all of my closes felt kind of a bit "off". I still got some decent closes of the 150 #3 for MMS reps and closed my SG Cobalt at 158, but it felt like I had to push myself for every close. After some more heavy closes I decided to hit something different as a finisher, and repped my #2.5 for around 25 reps and my #2 for 50+, getting the most ridiculous pump.

Now it's Saturday, the very next day. No more intense thesis work or anything of that sort. A friend of mine was sending me vids of his gripper closes, and I kind of got in the mood to close some grippers myself. Thought I'd just go for the #3 for fun to check out how things are after the murder workout yesterday. Felt super easy, it's a about average #3 (unrated as of now, I'd guesstimate at 145 or so). So I hit it from a block set, and then just decided to go yolo and attempt my 163 rated Cobalt. It moved very well and I closed it, along with the 158 Cobalt the very next set.

Moral of the story is simply this: rest, recovery, good nutrition account for probably 30% of how well your workout will be, and the other 70% are just if you "are in the mood". Yesterday I was perfectly fit physically, but my workout was way worse than today, whilst having dead forearms from two pump finisher sets.

P.S. Strength is still improving, I think soon I will be able to handle my 171 Titanium.

• Like 4

Third day in a row:

Hit some grippers today for no reason at all, just felt positive about it. Got some cool PRs in, closing the 163 Cobalt for 2 sets of 3 mini-reps (roughly 10mm), and then around 15 similar distance reps with my 150 CoC#3. I'll give myself 1-2 days of rest now to hit some grippers fresh again! Generally speaking though, my setting technique is probably one of the greatest factors why grippers are going well now, I got pretty consistent with it and setting grippers is getting more and more solid and secure, which enables me to replicate nice closes and results from day to day. Before it used to be a bit of a lottery, one day I set the thing right and deep enough and another I don't. Luckily, that's in the past now :)

Can't wait for a very special 167 rated gripper to arrive to do some closes with it!

• Like 5

Quick all time gripper PR:

Closed my Tetting Elite (Thor) rated 171 today! I know I once posted a 171 rated Elite close, but it actually was a different Elite (no thor stamp too), and I home rated it. This one I home rated at 174 or so back in the day, so that elite must've been around 167-168 if rated properly by CPW I suppose!

image.thumb.jpeg.8ff887a87595b1495f703eabd70afc15.jpeg

• Like 6

Training PR update:

Training going super strong, making some strength gains! Another big PR from today:

Although from the angle of the camera it might look like a completely closed set (some people set the gripper fully closed), the close was at least from around 10mm. I typically turn away from the camera when setting the gripper, which is why when it moves into frame it's basically already closed or about to be :D

I'm super excited about entering legit 3.5 territory with this heavy-ish 3.5 close. I have a bunch of old gen (pre 2012) 3.5s which rate in the higher 170s and even 180s, it'll be fun to work with those in training sometime in the near future!

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Alexander Koss said:

Training PR update:

Training going super strong, making some strength gains! Another big PR from today:

Although from the angle of the camera it might look like a completely closed set (some people set the gripper fully closed), the close was at least from around 10mm. I typically turn away from the camera when setting the gripper, which is why when it moves into frame it's basically already closed or about to be :D

I'm super excited about entering legit 3.5 territory with this heavy-ish 3.5 close. I have a bunch of old gen (pre 2012) 3.5s which rate in the higher 170s and even 180s, it'll be fun to work with those in training sometime in the near future!

Great close man! 

• Thanks 1

Nice work,

you should be super excited, that is a fantastic achievement 

congratulations 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! It‘s definitely a big milestone, looking forward to even heavier closes! :) 

• Like 1

Damn i need to up my game, You're catching up big man

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2022 at 5:17 PM, Alexander Koss said:

Training PR update:

huge congratulations to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

huge congratulations to you!

Thank you! Time to climb to heavier grippers :) Let the road to the 180s begin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

Thank you! Time to climb to heavier grippers :) Let the road to the 180s begin

You'll get it , Boss! then the 190s and 200s after ! :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Took a small break due to too much work on my master’s thesis, but I’m more free now so things are getting back on track! Still did the occasional workout here and there, but nothing super dedicated how it’s supposed to be! So I’ll be more active in the upcoming says with gripper content :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alexander Koss said:

Update:

Took a small break due to too much work on my master’s thesis, but I’m more free now so things are getting back on track! Still did the occasional workout here and there, but nothing super dedicated how it’s supposed to be! So I’ll be more active in the upcoming says with gripper content :) 

Shame on you for putting college before grip!

A little break is a good things, especially from grippers I've found. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Shame on you for putting college before grip!

A little break is a good things, especially from grippers I've found. 

College is temporary, Grip is forever!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, stranger said:

College is temporary, Grip is forever!

Yup, been training it one form or another since age 12.

• Like 2

Training update:

I had a small but annoying wrist injury from reckless benching a few weeks ago, which is fine now, so I hit some grippers a few days back and was happy to find that I haven't lost my past strength gains due to the poor lifestyle of an overworked student. I just did a few sets, the heaviest being a SG Cobalt (163) x5 micro reps, which is a rep PR. After that I did some closes and attempts with various #3s from a CCS.

The very next day I got stung by a bee in the ring finger of my right hand, which left me with some mild swelling in the whole right palm 😂 so I had to skip out on another workout! After 2 days things are getting back to normal, so I should be resuming my routine very soon.

• Like 3