Alex's grip log - journey from the start

Alex K

MM1 training report:

Had a nice gripper workout today! Here's how it went:

• Warmup with CoC#1-#2.5
  • CoC#3 (150) MMSx1 speedrep
  • Cobalt (161) MMSx1 miss (slightly too wide set)
  • Cobalt (161) MMSx1
  • Cobalt (161) MMS miss
  • NR Count Admiral (156) MMSx1
  • NR Count Admiral (156) MMSx1
  • NR Count Admiral (156) MMS miss

Went for CCS reps with the left today not to tire the right too much :D Overall in a decent place for the MM1 right now, the parcel is on the way! Next workout is scheduled after a 2-3 day resting period, I believe I'll need the extra time to recover from this 😅

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 4

Today’s MM1 training report:

Went for some different closes today, for instance two attempts on the CoC#3 CCS, got extremely close!

3D699C03-E937-4531-9F2C-B05E6197A9C7.thumb.jpeg.0aa7673bebb83e7019d7d556d33842df.jpeg

This must have been my strongest attempt so far. The set width was also on point, a bit wider than my last video!

After the attempts I did a few MMS practice closes with the NR Count Admiral (156) which felt very safe! 

As a finisher I did lots of CoC#3 MMS closes :)

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 6

Training report from 2 days ago:

I decided to attempt CCSing the #3 in a different way, with the handle being deeper in my palm, so that the fingers can all wrap around the gripper easily. This makes the sweep phase much easier, but the close gets much harder. So I think the best suited technique for a CCS would be the one David Shamey and many others practice, I am probably around 5% stronger that way :)

Here's a pic of my preferred CCS technique as of now:

IMG_4344.thumb.jpg.1f78cf2b813e21d34a5be089570de9f9.jpg

After the CCS work I went for more MMS closes of various grippers rated 150-160, but didn't go too heavy. The heavy workout is happening this Sunday! ;) 

P.S. The MM1 is still on the way, sort of stuck in the US, not leaving for Germany yet. Really excited about it!

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 6

Today's workout report:

I have skipped a workout due to overtraining in the gym, but now grip is back to being the main priority. The SG Iron finally arrived today! After a short warm up I went ahead and tried it out both hands - it's a great gripper! Here are some highlights from today's workout:

All in all, I am very happy to feel strong today despite my hands feeling very tired and sore. I feel like things will go uphill from now. I am very excited! :)

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

I feel like things will go uphill from now. I am very excited!

Well done!

Keep that mindset till MM1's arrival!

• Thanks 1

Today's workout report:

This workout I was mainly doing deep sets and big gripper attempts. Here are some highlights:

Before this attempt I warmed up with the CoC#1 to CoC#2.5 and the GHP7 (143) all from MMS/DS depth.

As a finisher I did a few MMS attempts on the CoC#3.5 (164) and did rep work with my new Grip Genie 6 (142) (Left: 4, Right: 12-14 reps)

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

Today's workout report:

This workout I was mainly doing deep sets and big gripper attempts. Here are some highlights:

Before this attempt I warmed up with the CoC#1 to CoC#2.5 and the GHP7 (143) all from MMS/DS depth.

As a finisher I did a few MMS attempts on the CoC#3.5 (164) and did rep work with my new Grip Genie 6 (142) (Left: 4, Right: 12-14 reps)

That was some hardcore effort you pushed in there! :)

• Thanks 1

Hey man question pertaining to your World Class, How did you go about painting the spring with that nice paint, I've been wanting to do the same to my Cobalt to stop it from rusting and giving it that old tetting look

10 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Hey man question pertaining to your World Class, How did you go about painting the spring with that nice paint, I've been wanting to do the same to my Cobalt to stop it from rusting and giving it that old tetting look

Sure thing! I just used simple matte black paint spray on it, covering the handles with some plastic foil not to paint over them too :) it works like magic! I believe the rust protection is also pretty good.

Not a workout report but rather an epic gripper find: 

This is the most brutal CoC #3 I have ever seen. 

A6BAAC7D-2AEF-4EAE-AAB9-3ED935D9CE11.thumb.jpeg.fd2c8d13d7f3567360f03d6ecdffabaf.jpeg

This is the spread measurement after I have re-rated it like 5 times and the spread is not even decreasing by 0.1mm anymore! Must have been well above 80mm out of the box.

I rated it so many times because I simply couldn’t believe the numbers I was seeing. It’s rated 71.5kg on my device, or 159 RGC, even close to 160!

I believe as soon as I securely close this from a CCS even for 1 rep the cert could be a safe deal. 😌

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alexander Koss said:

Not a workout report but rather an epic gripper find: 

This is the most brutal CoC #3 I have ever seen. 

A6BAAC7D-2AEF-4EAE-AAB9-3ED935D9CE11.thumb.jpeg.fd2c8d13d7f3567360f03d6ecdffabaf.jpeg

This is the spread measurement after I have re-rated it like 5 times and the spread is not even decreasing by 0.1mm anymore! Must have been well above 80mm out of the box.

I rated it so many times because I simply couldn’t believe the numbers I was seeing. It’s rated 71.5kg on my device, or 159 RGC, even close to 160!

I believe as soon as I securely close this from a CCS even for 1 rep the cert could be a safe deal. 😌

Pretty wide but nothing too crazy. I have 2 coc3s and one is 77 and one 78mm. Nathan holle told me he has an old coc4 with a 84mm width!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Pretty wide but nothing too crazy. I have 2 coc3s and one is 77 and one 78mm. Nathan holle told me he has an old coc4 with a 84mm width!!!

Yeah, I also had a 3.5 at around 77mm, but the rating is the very unusual thing that shocked me :D

I’ve heard of that #4… that’s just crazy 😅

• Like 1

Today‘s workout:

All about that CCS today:

• CoC#3 (150) very close CCS attempt
  • GHP7 (143) CCS close
  • SG Fe (140) CCS close, two sets
  • GHP6 (131) CCS reps left and right
  • CoC#2.5 (126) CCS reps left and right

I‘ve switched my technique a little towards a more comfortable one, but which requires a tiny bit more strength at the end of the close. I‘ll be focusing on wide sets like CCS or GHP block sets for now and see how it goes :)

I‘ve also cracked the 140kg mark on the bench press, which is also nice! 

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 4

Today‘s workout report:

• Warm-up: CCS singles with the CoC 1.5, 2, 2.5
  • CoC 3 CCS attempt right, pinkie slipped sadly, would‘ve been extremely close. 
  • CoC 3 CCS attempt left for fun, around 6-8mm to go there
  • CoC3 CCS attempt right, again pretty close but lost a lot of strength on the first attempt
  • CoC 3 MMS for a few reps right
  • GHP6 CCS left for an easy single
  • GHP6 CCS for a few reps right
  • CoC 2.5 for ~2 reps left
  • SG Fe MMS reps right
  • GHP6 MMS reps left
  • GHP6 MMS reps right 
  • Finisher: Legend Ioan Cristian Puscasu style micro-reps with the CoC 2.5, around 25 reps right and 15 left

I really enjoyed squeezing those micro reps, probably going to switch back to heavier grippers / narrower sets again for s bit, and implement Ioan Cristian Puscasu micro-reps, they seem to be a great way to get an epic pump. :D I think some strength gains should also come with those reps as well.

Also gym update, new bench PR of 142.5kg set, going to work with smaller weights for a few more reps, back to the strength training cycle of not testing my PR every workout :D  

• Like 3

Latest workout highlight:

Continuing my less systematic and more fun workout journey as of lately, I decided to try out micro-reps again. These were popularised by none other than Ioan Cristian Puscasu, and I feel like they bring some interesting benefit to the training process. Here’s my go at it with the CoC#3:

• Like 1

GM-150 Update:

I‘ve just recently received the GM150 Fix, and tried it for the first time! Here‘s the result:

There‘s definitely room for improvement, need to get used to this new dyno, but overall epic device!

P.S. It’s really funny how my small hand compares to @Jermiah Merciconah on his attempt, basically outsizing the GM150 completely :D 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

GM-150 Update:

I‘ve just recently received the GM150 Fix, and tried it for the first time! Here‘s the result:

There‘s definitely room for improvement, need to get used to this new dyno, but overall epic device!

P.S. It’s really funny how my small hand compares to @Jermiah Merciconah on his attempt, basically outsizing the GM150 completely :D 

The trick to the GM is figuring out what gap width in the handles works for you, I literally have to have them spread as far apart as they'll go to be able to generate decent power xD

Report from the last 2 workouts:

It's been an intense week of training, I've increased the frequency of my gripper workouts to "when I feel I am ready to", which turned out to be every other day this time! :)

02.12 - Heavy single attempts:

• CoC#3.5 (173) DS assisted close, mainly training leg assisted setting (inspired by Qianchen)
  • PowerGripper Gold (177) DS close attempt (1mm or below left). Narrower handles (18mm) make it a bit easier for me personally. I probably wouldn't even try to close anything close to 180 with wider handles like the Standards. The PG's are amazing grippers by the way, exactly similar to GGs, but with much sharper knurling! (Pic below)
  • Naval Ranks Admiral (171) DS close attempt (<0.5mm).
  • CoC#3.5 (164) close from around 20mm.
  • CoC#3 (159) closes/attempts and CoC#3 (149) reps
  • Lefty: Very similar to right, just tiny bit easier grippers on each attempt.

04.12 - Pure block sets workout:

• GHP7 (143) 38mm GHP block - 3 reps. First time trying this after a long time and after a workout two days prior, I am very surprised and happy! When I get to 4-5 reps, I'll go for the GHP cert!
  • GHP7 (143) 38mm GHP block - 2 reps
  • GHP7 (143) 30mm Silarukov block - 3 reps
  • GHP7 (143) 30mm Silarukov block - 2 reps
  • Lefty:  Same sets and reps, just with the GHP6 (131)

Pics: Set blocks (30mm and 38mm) and the PG Gold (350lbs):

IMG_4946.thumb.jpg.4f4e5f9f4a8b2b6c7915c9184de0366e.jpgIMG_4703.thumb.jpg.ffa4a4fad1aa8cf6a6a0205236e614ea.jpg

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 5

Its been pretty wild to see your progression through grippers, You're like me without all the injuries xD

• Thanks 1

Very impressive, supper strong

keep up the good work

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Its been pretty wild to see your progression through grippers, You're like me without all the injuries xD

6 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Very impressive, supper strong

keep up the good work

Thanks guys! Progress has been slow at times but very consistent, and that’s what matters the most! :) 

Consistent is the name of the game

• Like 1