Alex's grip log - journey from the start

Alex K

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Man you're getting SO CLOSE to that Cobalt. That's going down soon.

This gripper sure isn't going to get any rest from me trying to close it :D Those handles have to meet soon :rock

On 7/26/2021 at 9:21 PM, Alexander Koss said:

Training update Monday 26.07.2021:

• Decided to start a slow paced cutting phase, looking to decrease bodyfat by a few percent (currently cruising at about 18-20%, still some visible abs but "very faded" :grin:). I've always been afraid to do so due to strength loss, especially since grip entered my life this year. Going to try to stay calorie-neutral or in a tiny deficit, not to harm progress. Hopefully gripper-nooby-gains will let me continue progressing, maybe at a slightly slower rate, but still. Current weight is 88kg or 194lbs, I'll try to get down to probably around 83kg. 
  • I enjoyed the washer "pre-set" closes so much, that I'm going to try and focus on them for a while now and see how it goes. Feeling really good about this. Progress might be slightly slowed down due to the slow-paced cut, but I still believe there should be some with this new epic training method.

I have very little experience on cutting properly with minimal strength loss. I'm pretty new to the grip world and back at the gym after a huge break gaining strength every workout at the moment, so I think progress will go on just due to noobie status. But I would love to hear advice from you guys. Not looking to achieve anything crazy from a leanness point, just shave off the few excessive pounds there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi alex, 

Ive just read your whole log, i like the style you present your progress and meticulous attention to detail. Very impressive progress and closes on some big grippers.

Regarding weight loss affecting strength. Ive always found as long as calories are not too low you will continue to gain strength. A small calorific deficit is best. 

Do you train other aspects of grip? I.e. pinch and thick bar, wrist work  etc? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Hi alex, 

Ive just read your whole log, i like the style you present your progress and meticulous attention to detail. Very impressive progress and closes on some big grippers.

Thank you very much! Really appreciate it :)

Regarding weight loss affecting strength. Ive always found as long as calories are not too low you will continue to gain strength. A small calorific deficit is best. 

You're absolutely right. Right now I am trying to stay neutral or in a very small deficit, basically eating a rather normalised diet (after the gyms opened back up in Germany my appetite has been ridiculous :D). I removed some of the sweets and sugars from my diet (just some, not all :tongue). All in all it's going pretty good, slowly getting rid of some fat, still making some steady progress on grippers.

Do you train other aspects of grip? I.e. pinch and thick bar, wrist work  etc? 

Since I have only started seriously training grippers this year, I haven't yet diverged into other aspects of grip. Once I tried to use those rubber barbell thickeners (basically, FatGripz but from another brand, around 55mm in diameter). Did some deadlifts with this budget version fatbar at the gym, and it was crazy fun. However, there was a big drawback: after that I felt so much weaker with grippers for about 4-5 days (I typically recover from grippers in 1 day, rarely 2 days). Maybe it was because the movement was very new for me.

Pinch is also fun, tried it at the gym with a few different plates. I think my best lift were 2x15kg plates, but not till lockout, so nothing crazy. Since we can't mess up the plates with chalk at the gym, it gets pretty hard and slippery sometimes (it was probably the main challenge).

Generally speaking, I am planning on getting into other aspects of grip someday as well, It's a lot of fun. However, I first wish to focus on grippers first :) Until then I will continue experimenting with various grip/wrist movements.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Thank you very much! Really appreciate it :)

You're absolutely right. Right now I am trying to stay neutral or in a very small deficit, basically eating a rather normalised diet (after the gyms opened back up in Germany my appetite has been ridiculous :D). I removed some of the sweets and sugars from my diet (just some, not all :tongue). All in all it's going pretty good, slowly getting rid of some fat, still making some steady progress on grippers.

Since I have only started seriously training grippers this year, I haven't yet diverged into other aspects of grip. Once I tried to use those rubber barbell thickeners (basically, FatGripz but from another brand, around 55mm in diameter). Did some deadlifts with this budget version fatbar at the gym, and it was crazy fun. However, there was a big drawback: after that I felt so much weaker with grippers for about 4-5 days (I typically recover from grippers in 1 day, rarely 2 days). Maybe it was because the movement was very new for me.

Pinch is also fun, tried it at the gym with a few different plates. I think my best lift were 2x15kg plates, but not till lockout, so nothing crazy. Since we can't mess up the plates with chalk at the gym, it gets pretty hard and slippery sometimes (it was probably the main challenge).

Generally speaking, I am planning on getting into other aspects of grip someday as well, It's a lot of fun. However, I first wish to focus on grippers first :) Until then I will continue experimenting with various grip/wrist movements.

Maintenance calories can work well for body recomposition. For months ive been averaging about 2800-3000 cals per day but i eat less on non workout days and more on workout days so i gain muscle and lose fat. Its slow compared to a traditional cut but much better hormonally and for strength gain.

Plate pinching 2x15kg 1st try is very good. Building up you thumbs will help with your grippers for sure.

Thick bar does take a lot to recover from, nothing makes me more sore than thick bar and will affect gripper training.

Do you do any extensor work at all for elbow health? 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

Do you do any extensor work at all for elbow health?

Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention that! I do have the IM Bands laying close to me most of the time. I regularly do some work with them. Not really as systematic as grippers, but I am still taking it rather serious, trying to increase resistance regularly by putting other bands on top of the red one. I'm feeling much stronger in extensor work over time as well.

Extensor work with the IM Bands does compliment gripper workouts extremely well :) 

• Like 1

Quick mini-session today:

Tried again to attempt the SG Cobalt, but my right felt fried after last time. Setting the gripper felt super easy, but my hand just hasn't recovered after those heavy attempts in one day, so I didn't even go full squeeze and just practiced setting it a bit. Setting the gripper properly is crucial for a successful close, so practicing it is also pretty important.

Since my left hasn't done that much heavy work last time, I decided to hit a few close attempts with it, and here is what happened:

Large milestone for the Left passed! GHP7 (144) closed :)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention that! I do have the IM Bands laying close to me most of the time. I regularly do some work with them. Not really as systematic as grippers, but I am still taking it rather serious, trying to increase resistance regularly by putting other bands on top of the red one. I'm feeling much stronger in extensor work over time as well.

Extensor work with the IM Bands does compliment gripper workouts extremely well :) 

Good stuff. I also have the IM bands, ive had my set since 2009 way before i was into grip training. 1 of my green and blues have snapped  and the yellows may not last long but the reds are in great condition still depsite tens of 1000s of reps over the years. I like sets of 50-100 with the reds. Ive never thought to put another on top tbh. 

Extensor work is important, especially since you dont pinch. Pinch training really hits the extensors well but i do both. 

Edit

Very well done on the left hand GHP 7 close. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Thanks 1

Today's workout:

Left: CCS work with the #2.5 mainly, making good progress, almost 3xCCS closes with the left. Seems that just doing CCS all the time does produce good, steady progress. While I experiment a lot with my right, I mainly just do some CCS closes with my left, and the progress is still there and is very steady.

Right: Tried some MMS SG Cobalt closes, some were pretty close. The first one was a complete miss due to a poor set. I tried to squeeze everything out of it though so I had very little strength left to produce a decent attempt (I fatigue rather quickly when it comes to heavy singles, I basically have 2 good attempts in reserve, after that all I can close is literally around 10-15lbs RGC below my max or more depending on the day). I also noticed that a set that is literally a tiny bit off can produce significant differences when it comes to the close. Had I set the gripper properly the first time, it might've been a very close attempt I believe (felt very strong during run #1 but with a poor set the strength kind of went into trying to get the gripper where I want it for the close). 

After doing some more random closes with both hands I decided to finish it off by just killing my hands and doing some closes on my U-Shaped adjustable gripper. The lowest original setting is around 63kg in my system, which is 142 RGC. It can be set lighter though if you just move the handles below the minimum point and fix with just 1 screw, works just fine! Since I have a lot of study work to do, I keep it next to me and just squeeze at it whenever I want.

Here's a pic of my table companion for today, very decent grip tool :):

247022252_IMG_28642.thumb.JPG.a5df54e7f1e72e8f78e20ddb7a2ccd98.JPG

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 4

Quick update:

Due to exams and me catching a mild cold I have felt pretty weak in grippers right now. Can barely get my #3 shut, but I guess it's due to the circumstances right now. Oddly enough though, CCS closes feel rather okay, while MMS/DS literally doesn't function right now. I think I should just relax for the next couple of days and take care of everything else.

Gripper training has to be done with 100% focus and passion (preferably), which is hard to achieve right now. I guess after 3-4 days of rest I'll resume at 100%, rather than try to squeeze out the little strength I got at this time :D

Oddly enough though, I hit great results at the gym nevertheless, but I've always noticed that it is way less CNS dependent than grip work.

Edit (interesting story): I might have noticed a small correlation of grip progress and progress in other gym movements. Since I don't do max squat/deadlifts, I'll use the bench as an example for this.

Around 2019 I decided I wanted to hit 140kg (315) on the bench. Being a casual gym goer who really didn't do much strength work, it was a tough but doable challenge. Long story short - I came extremely close, adding like 30kg on my bench in 2 months, but got way too thick on the dirty bulk (added probably 15kgs in that time) so I decided to stop the bulking and postpone those goals to a later point (also due to loads of Uni-Work and traveling, and later Covid lockdowns).

But the key thing about that journey was: I always had the urge to see where my 1RM was, literally trying it out almost every workout. But when I did so, I didn't progress a lot. I even though I hit a plateau or something. Right now I am way stronger in the bench than I was back in 2019, after just 2 months of training post-lockdown (haven't trained in the 9 months without gyms at all, and rather rarely before). But what I'm doing different is I literally don't try to bench 1RM and just do rep work in the 4-8 rep range with with up to 275lbs but not more. This seems to hit my progress the most. My chest is sore after every workout and I am getting progressively stronger on the bench, adding reps every workout. 

This rule does not apply to everyone though. Most of my friends are on the ectomorph side, and they seem to gain muscle and strength the best in high rep ranges of 12+ reps.

I have a feeling that for me the same applies to grippers. I have had the most epic progress when I was doing low-rep work along with heavy attempts, especially with wider sets (Block or even CCS). Doing MMS attempts seems to be a ton of fun but I seem to not really move forward that fast when I just do those. I might be switching my routine back to some GHP7 CCS attempts or Block/WS closes. They just feel really good right now, MMS seems super hard for some reason. Again, maybe due to the circumstances, but still. Switching around the routine probably does only good things :)

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 4

Highlights of todays session:

After a while of weak attempts due to recent circumstances, I got back on track and decided to restart my normal workouts. And, surprisingly, after recovering I felt stronger again! The workout consisted of many many attempts mainly, so not that many closes :D but still, those were some satisfying attempts. Progress seems to continue. Here are the highlights of the session:

Later that workout I did the following:

• CoC#2.5 CCS closes
  • CoC#2 CCS closes
  • CoC#2 mini-reps

Did this with both hands, felt extremely pumped afterwards.

• Like 1

Today's session:

Did a nice gripper workout today, mainly attacking the GHP7. Here are the highlights:

I am getting extremely close on the GHP7 CCS attempts, my current routine seems to deliver some decent, consistent progress.

The remainder of the workout I did a few more GHP7 CCS attempts, CoC#2.5 CCS closes and more finishers with lighter grippers. The workout turned out intense and great :)

• Like 2

A little something on grip recovery:

Since recovery is an essential part of training, and since I have recently finally settled on an optimal grip routine, I thought I'd post a little bit of info about it. :) 

Note: This routine is exclusively for my gripper training, and doesn't have anything to do with my gym training or anything else. Since grippers currently are the only form of grip training I do, the same routine might not work out well for someone actively doing other forms of grip training.

Simply put, my new routine involves training grippers with exactly two rest days with active recovery between workouts.

My main problem with recovery was boredom - I just couldn't resist not squeezing any grippers for two whole days, which is why I always trained grippers every other day. This seems to work more or less fine, but on some occasions, especially after very powerful workouts, one rest day is simply not enough to recover fully.

The solution for the above mentioned problem is very simple - a light, fun gripper for recovery days not to get too bored and to always have something to squeeze. That is why I purchased the GHP Level 1

Being a huge GHP fan, I thought I'd go for this one. It's very light, so it can be used any time without really giving the muscles a hard time, especially after workouts. What I also find great about this gripper is the sharp knurling, which allows me to use it comfortably with no slipping without using any chalk. That's why I keep it by my side at all times, and just squeeze it when I feel like doing so. I feel like the extra blood circulation during recovery days does speed things up a little.

Another big thing for rest days is extensor training. To balance out the constant crushing, I use the IM Bands to train extensors during rest days. What's important is treating this part of recovery seriously as well, and increase the loads over time, just like with grippers. What I like to do is put bands on top of the red ones to keep increasing the load after passing the red bands. Two stacked red bands is a ton of resistance and will probably be sufficient for almost anyone. 

Here is my current active recovery kit:

IMG_3095.thumb.JPG.ea5c25b2e45935c27e7119f058d49731.JPG 1305504944_IMG_30992.thumb.JPG.5861a186b7d77fbd9394f02c6a901e7a.JPG

• Like 3

Hey Alexander, you have an interesting log. 

I ordered my grippers (CoC) and hope to start my grip journey soon. 

Do you deadlift without straps? Do I understand it correct that you don't consider your gym training when scheduling your grip training? 

Right now I train push pull leg with barbell shrugs and deadlifts on leg day. I was thinking about scheduling my grip training on leg days or rest days, so it doesn't affect my pull or leg day. What is your take on this?

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 5:08 PM, Alexander Koss said:

A little something on grip recovery:

Since recovery is an essential part of training, and since I have recently finally settled on an optimal grip routine, I thought I'd post a little bit of info about it. :) 

Note: This routine is exclusively for my gripper training, and doesn't have anything to do with my gym training or anything else. Since grippers currently are the only form of grip training I do, the same routine might not work out well for someone actively doing other forms of grip training.

Simply put, my new routine involves training grippers with exactly two rest days with active recovery between workouts.

My main problem with recovery was boredom - I just couldn't resist not squeezing any grippers for two whole days, which is why I always trained grippers every other day. This seems to work more or less fine, but on some occasions, especially after very powerful workouts, one rest day is simply not enough to recover fully.

The solution for the above mentioned problem is very simple - a light, fun gripper for recovery days not to get too bored and to always have something to squeeze. That is why I purchased the GHP Level 1

Being a huge GHP fan, I thought I'd go for this one. It's very light, so it can be used any time without really giving the muscles a hard time, especially after workouts. What I also find great about this gripper is the sharp knurling, which allows me to use it comfortably with no slipping without using any chalk. That's why I keep it by my side at all times, and just squeeze it when I feel like doing so. I feel like the extra blood circulation during recovery days does speed things up a little.

Another big thing for rest days is extensor training. To balance out the constant crushing, I use the IM Bands to train extensors during rest days. What's important is treating this part of recovery seriously as well, and increase the loads over time, just like with grippers. What I like to do is put bands on top of the red ones to keep increasing the load after passing the red bands. Two stacked red bands is a ton of resistance and will probably be sufficient for almost anyone. 

Here is my current active recovery kit:

IMG_3095.thumb.JPG.ea5c25b2e45935c27e7119f058d49731.JPG 1305504944_IMG_30992.thumb.JPG.5861a186b7d77fbd9394f02c6a901e7a.JPG

GHPs are the best. Amazing knurling. Your bands look brand new.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

GHPs are the best. Amazing knurling. Your bands look brand new.

I think it‘s just the white band that still has the IM logo on it :D all my other bands are pretty worn but basically good as new.

On 8/18/2021 at 2:53 PM, Frenzy1 said:

Hey Alexander, you have an interesting log. 

I ordered my grippers (CoC) and hope to start my grip journey soon. 

Do you deadlift without straps? Do I understand it correct that you don't consider your gym training when scheduling your grip training? 

Right now I train push pull leg with barbell shrugs and deadlifts on leg day. I was thinking about scheduling my grip training on leg days or rest days, so it doesn't affect my pull or leg day. What is your take on this?

Hey! I barely deadlift in the gym, but when I do I basically never use straps. Ever since joining the gym I didn't quite get the straps, probably due to not using too much weight (rarely over 100kg). Very nice to see that you're starting out! Which CoC's have you ordered?

Quick training update:

Some great PRs from my 2 previous sessions will be uploaded soon! Haven't had time to tape/upload everything, but the training has still been going as planned, with two rest days between gripper sessions! :D 

• Like 1

Gripper session(s) recap:

Finally I have been able to put together the clips from my last sessions! There have been some decent improvements on both left and right hand strength! :)

Note: the first close was from parallel, but the set can't be seen well due to the gripper leaving the frame. Luckily this isn't a certification or anything though :D

The SG Cobalt (162 CPW) felt extremely good, I was surprised at how confident that close turned out to be. I love the SG's, they feel awesome.

Other things I have done throughout the 2 sessions:

• GHP7 CCS, extremely close attempts. After the Cobalt close I barely missed the GHP7 CCS, probably could have gotten it if it had been my first attempt of the session.
  • GHP8 and CoC#3.5 pre-set / forced closes
  • CoC#2.5 CCS closes
  • CoC#2.5 and CoC#2 finisher MMS reps

Equipment update: I am updating my working gripper set a little bit, adjusting some of the resistances by applying chokers or expanding the handles over prolonged periods of time. I am also adding/taking out a few grippers. Soon, I will post my updated training gripper set with all the ratings as well! :)

Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 2

Nice work man. Closing that cobalt is very strong. Are you going to attempt the mm1 soon?

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice work man. Closing that cobalt is very strong. Are you going to attempt the mm1 soon?

Thanks man! I would definitely want to do it now (the Cobalt at 162 ist definitely above the MM1) but I think it would be wiser to hold back a bit more and get stronger, since sometimes weak days happen. I think the MM certs (unless on a very high level) should be approached with decent confidence in the close. I believe MMS-closing my GHP8 (168) or maybe even my 3.5 (173) confidently would be the point for me when I’d hop in the MM1 queue :)

• Like 1

Today's vacation workout report:

For the week in Munich I packed three grippers: The CoC#2.5, GHP7 and SG Cobalt :) 

IMG_3152.thumb.jpg.07c9536b54d4e528a6d12a37521f18af.jpg

The workout went like this:

• SG Cobalt MMSx1 closed and an attempted second mini-rep from around 10mm, got to about 1-2mm

Decent break, probably 8-10 minutes

• SG Cobalt MMSx1 closed
  • Left: GHP7 MMSx1 closed twice
  • Left: CoC#2.5 MMS, high reps and around 2-3 such sets
  • SG Cobalt MMSx1 very close attempt, directly followed by 5x forced closes with negative holds.
Edited by Alexander Koss
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Alexander Koss said:

For the week in Munich I packed three grippers: The CoC#2.5, GHP7 and SG Cobalt :) 

• SG Cobalt MMSx1 closed and an attempted second mini-rep from around 10mm, got to about 1-2mm

• SG Cobalt MMSx1 closed
  • SG Cobalt MMSx1 very close attempt, directly followed by 5x forced closes with negative holds.

Enjoy Munich it looks like an incredible place. Strong closes as always like Nuttgens said hope to see you on the MM1 soon!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Enjoy Munich it looks like an incredible place. Strong closes as always like Nuttgens said hope to see you on the MM1 soon!

Thanks a lot! I surely will be heading straight in that direction soon! ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alexander Koss said:

• SG Cobalt MMSx1 closed

Nice choice. How will you warm up with no lighter grippers? 

Also enjoy munich. I hear the beer is amazing there. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Nice choice. How will you warm up with no lighter grippers? 

Also enjoy munich. I hear the beer is amazing there. 

Thanks! Indeed it is :D

I got a nice warm up squeezing the 2.5 lightly, not all the way to a close. Also did some MMS setting (not closing) with the 2.5 just to get the hands ready for the heavy stuff :) 

• Like 1