Steel bench frame build

Tommy J.

built this frame to accommodate the Thompson Fatpad I recently purchased. Building this frame cost less than $60 in steel. And I had like 3 extra feet of steel left over for other projects when we got done. Compare that to the $200+ rogue benches (after shipping) that will bolt right up to the Fatpad, and it’s a no brainer.

wish we’d have got more video along the way so you guys can see the whole process. It’s actually a lot of work cutting and truing gussets and other little pieces out of a piece of rectangle tube.. especially when most of the cutting for the smaller stuff is done by hand using a cutoff wheel. Anywho, the wife and I both built this. And her welds were even better than mine! You guys on my IG saw the vid I posted of her welds. I teach her the basics, then 5 minutes later she looks like a pro!

yes, it’s very basic. But her and I share equal pride in this little project. And am now the proud owner of a bench that I won’t outgrow. In fact, no man ever will.. we overbuilt the shit out of it. Mainly because it’s way easier to weld thicker stuff without the concern of burning holes through the steel with the welder. I suspect it will hold multiple tons of weight at its weakest point (dead center) with no problem. It may hold 10-12k pounds plus when loaded with weight directly over the uprights!.. I base this assumption off the fact that the steel we used is thicker than my 6 ton Jack stands sitting on the garage floor. And the design we used is a strong layout.

anywho, hope you guys enjoy.

oh and for anyone wondering, We built it with a 17” exact pad height. So while it is much wider than a comp bench, it’s the same height. So while I get the added benefit of the wideness for shoulder support, I also get to be familiar with a comp bench height while I bench.

• Like 4

Looks good but you seem real short sighted. It's such a waste to have to make another one once you bring your bench press up over 11,000lbs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Very impressive work. Looks better than the iron mind bench which is like a zillion dollars plus shipping.

Thanks! And true that! I can understand the cost if they only have like 1 guy in a shop making the whole bench.. but I guarantee places like Ironmind and Rogue have super nice water jet cutters, laser cutters, expensive bandsaws, and all kinds of other expensive tooling to make fabricating easier and quicker. mine was prolly 8-10 hours labor doing everything by hand and having to hold pieces in place by hand to weld it up. Admittedly, much of that was staring and scratching my head wondering what my next move was.. lol! I’m not a metal fabricator by trade. So welding projects (If I want them to look nice!) take me twice as long as a professional.

id charge no less than $250 for this frame just on labor alone. And that’s still cheap, and super fair. But I suppose the selling point could be “the unbreakable bench”…

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Looks good but you seem real short sighted. It's such a waste to have to make another one once you bring your bench press up over 11,000lbs

Lol, Overkill… I know. So much easier for my low skill fabricating level to use thicker stuff tho.

5 hours ago, WestSlope said:

I like the look of your bench - stout. Let us know how the Fat Pad works for you.

Thank you sir!

so far so good. The biggest change I notice is some slight bruising at the back bottom edge of my armpit where the edge of the bench touches. I do love how sticky it is! So sticky that I don’t need any chalk on my back! And the denseness of the bench helps make it not slide as I’m leg driving into it to get my initial arch.

so far, A+!

Looks great!  I love that the wife is the better welder LOL!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

Looks great!  I love that the wife is the better welder LOL!

Thank you sir!

nice work 

• Thanks 1