Officially closed the #3

Guest StrongerthanArne

Guest StrongerthanArne

On Monday the 19th of November I officially closed the #3. Did it again yesterday but the pics were not so good. As others have pointed out, getting good pics is the hardest part. Would like to thank you all for many good tips on how to close the #3. Without them I would not have been successful.

Cheers

Congrats!!!  Good luck with the pics, they are no fun.

Congratulation Mikael!!!!!

I'm deeeeply sorry for the lousy pictures!

Guest StrongerthanArne

Niklas,

Yes, but by a very slim margin. Joakim Palmqvist (not a board member) closed my #3 one week later. We both work out at the same gym and he and I have been very close in strength for several months. He might get certfied before me depending on the results of the photography efforts. The two of us have used very different training methods to achieve our goal. He has used an approach similar to the Wannagrip-method whereas I only have done grippers once a week but then with high volume.

As I said on the email to you, big congratulations! Also your comp will be featured in the next Iron Grip. Please congratulate Joakim Palmqvist for me.

David

Guest StrongerthanArne

David,

Yes I will send your congrats to him. He (Joakim) has an unusual approach to the grippers. First of all, he does not even own any. Two or three times per week he borrows mine or Arne's #3 and give them one or two sqeezes and that's it. It makes no difference whether he is warmed up or not. He is equally strong.

Guest StrongerthanArne

My next goal is to close Arne's #3 which is a bit tougher than mine (by about 20 IP, corrected for handle length), plus to one hand pinch 40 kg (I have done 36.5 kg (80 lb) in competition at 62 mm width). I would also like to close my #3 left handed (I am 7-8 mm away from doing it) before the end of next year.

Awesome. THis board is racking up the COC's!  

Did you contact IronMind to get an official witness? Make sure you do that.  The pics will come. Just keep the persistance going! :)

Congrats to you, Mikael!  Having become a certified COC not too long ago myself.... I can share your enthusiasm!  Good Luck to your future training (is the #4 next?).  :)

Guest StrongerthanArne

Wannagrip,

The closing of the gripper was witnessed by a guy (Håkan Petschler, Swedish representative for the IFSA) who was appointed by Randall so that part is done. The photography remains to be done successfully. Thank you all for your support and kind remarks.

Sybersnott,

My wife allowed me to buy a #4 for Christmas present to myself. As the rest of you guys who has closed a #3, I am going to work towards the #4 step by step. Closing Arne's short-handled 410 IP #3 is the next goal. I will give it a try at the next Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge on the 8th of December.

Wannagrip,

The closing of the gripper was witnessed by a guy (Håkan Petschler, Swedish representative for the IFSA) who was appointed by Randall so that part is done. The photography remains to be done successfully. Thank you all for your support and kind remarks.

Sybersnott,

My wife allowed me to buy a #4 for Christmas present to myself. As the rest of you guys who has closed a #3, I am going to work towards the #4 step by step. Closing Arne's short-handled 410 IP #3 is the next goal. I will give it a try at the next Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge on the 8th of December.

Cool!  How was the adrenaline rush?! :)  

I won't be surprised when your next pic session comes you easily slam it multiple times and get a good pic. :)

Guest StrongerthanArne

Wannagrip,

It felt good. This is what many of us here have work hard for. It took me six months of training with the grippers. Before that I had done a year on the Ivanko Super Gripper. Before I started with grip training I did plenty of heavy (for me) deadlifts which probably helped me as well. For me, training with the grippers once a week did the trick. Each workout usually comprised a couple of attempts with the #3, 3-5 sets of strapholds and a couple of set with maximum reps with a #2. I noticed a marked increase in strength when I switched from using my weak #2 for strapholds to my friend Arne's average #2. Other grip work that I do include pinch, RT and plate wrist curls.

Guest 86-1005097353

Well done! That more of you fellows are closing the #3 doesn't make it feel any easier!

How long did it take you to close the 3 after doing the 2?

Also, has anyone sanded off some of that deep knurling? Is that allowed? I never make hand grips on my gym equipment with such deep knurling. Doing ten reps on those things kills the hands.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Vince,

I can't answer that question. The reason is that when I first tried a gripper I was already beyond an average #2. In late May I closed Arne's average strength #2 (286 IP) cold. With a proper warm up I could probably have done two or possibly three reps. The reason that I could close a #2 straight away was, in my case, due to one year of previous training with the Ivanko Super Gripper (I did 3 sets of 10-15 reps once3 a week).

• 1 year later...

congrats