Dumbbell rows for grip strength

Dimitar Nenkov

Hi everyone! I am new to the this forum and decided to create a topic regarding one of my favorite exercises-dumbbell rowing. I was wondering whether some of you use this exercise as part of their grip training regimen. Recently I started doing the following workout: dumbbell rowing using 70 kg dumbbell, making 1 rep every 20 sec for a total of 80 reps in approximately 27 min. My bodyweight is 70 kg. What is your opinion about this type of workout? 

• Like 1

My opinion:

Dumbbell rows are an excellent exercise and it's best done without lifting straps. Regardless of what your intentions are you will get much better result using your grip strength when rowing.

I would change it up, I wouldn't go heavy every session etc. Just like I would with any exercise, variation is good.

I think they are a great exercise for the upper body and grip. Doing them on a thick bar would be even better for grip. Ive just bought a 2" thick loadable Db handle what im going to use for rows. 

As for doing 80 single reps 20 seconds apart. Ive never tried it but its seems a good way to get lots of volume in a short period of time. 

Edited by mcalpine1986

33 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I think they are a great exercise for the upper body and grip. Doing them on a thick bar would be even better for grip. Ive just bought a 2" thick loadable Db handle what im going to use for rows. 

As for doing 80 single reps 20 seconds apart. Ive never tried it but its seems a good way to get lots of volume in a short period of time. 

Could you tell me where did you buy the handle from? I am looking to buy such

• Like 1

Just now, Dimitar Nenkov said:

Could you tell me where did you buy the handle from? I am looking to buy such

It was from Mirafit here in the Uk. They do international shipping. Its very high quality and price wise i thought very good. I have recent pictures of it in my workout log. 

33 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It was from Mirafit here in the Uk. They do international shipping. Its very high quality and price wise i thought very good. I have recent pictures of it in my workout log. 

Thank you very much 

• Like 1

I love dumbbell rows with a passion. I like to vary my training intensities alot on these(usually between 3-4 rep maxes all the way to 20 rep maxes with much lighter weight). I like using a thumbless grip on my 50mm arm assassin loadable dumbbell letting the handle rest in my fingers. I also use a 2 7/8 inch arm assassin loadable dumbbell with a conventional grip. There is a member on this forum named Joe Sullivan and he posts some inspirational videos of huge rows with inch style db's using strict form. If you are located in Europe maybe check out Silarukov? I think they sell 50mm and 60mm loadable dumbbells. Can't go wrong with Arm Assassin either!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I love dumbbell rows with a passion. I like to vary my training intensities alot on these(usually between 3-4 rep maxes all the way to 20 rep maxes with much lighter weight). I like using a thumbless grip on my 50mm arm assassin loadable dumbbell letting the handle rest in my fingers. I also use a 2 7/8 inch arm assassin loadable dumbbell with a conventional grip. There is a member on this forum named Joe Sullivan and he posts some inspirational videos of huge rows with inch style db's using strict form. If you are located in Europe maybe check out Silarukov? I think they sell 50mm and 60mm loadable dumbbells. Can't go wrong with Arm Assassin either!

I ordered today Fat Gripz Pro and we will see what the result will be 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

IMO dumbbell rows of all kinds are one of the best things for grip and upper body strength ESPECIALLY when done with inch dumbbells or fat gripz And with no straps On regular handles

So no straps even if they look like these? 

Murica Straps.jpeg

15 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

So no straps even if they look like these? 

Murica Straps.jpeg

When you go really heavy your hands will look like the one on the left and your vision will be like the one on the right.

• Like 1