Let’s talk armwrestling!

Tommy J.

Wheels or school boy?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got for the win? And why!

• Wheels
    • School boy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/13/2021 at 12:30 AM

Case in point… watch John Dabo get loose at 1:30 on

There is a better angle on YouTube where Scott (the ref) got a couple punches in. They were buds an hour later. Lol

Edited by Tommy J.

Can’t forget Luke bitch slapping Mac!

Edited by Tommy J.

Anyhow I’m out. School boy and I will cross paths eventually.

I expect no less than top gear trolling from you guys if I get beat by the way! 😬

Edited by Tommy J.

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Case in point… watch John Dabo get loose at 1:30 on

There is a better angle on YouTube where Scott (the ref) got a couple punches in. They were buds an hour later. Lol

Okay I had to come back in here and clean this post up.. John is actually a good dude, contrary to how you see him acting above. His introduction to the sport was actually pretty shitty. He was heckled, berated, and made fun of almost his entire first few years. Then when he started winning matches, guys like Tom Nelson (seen in the video below) then decided they hated him even more. When John decided he’s had enough and lashed out, many tried to paint him as the bad guy.

here is just a glimpse of how John was treaded early on.. which is what ultimately led to him showing up to tournaments ready to basically defend himself.

Edited by Tommy J.

So yeah… a lot of people who exist in grip will never exist in the arm wrestling world. Unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I’m rolling hung over and on less than 5 hours sleep, and with no caffeine right now. It’s gonna be a sad day if a guy in my current condition tears some tails off here, via witty debate.

My message shouldn’t be hard to receive. The cliff notes are: School boy is exhaustingly overrated. And his show won’t. 👏🏻 even. 👏🏻 beat. 👏🏻 Texas! And I promise, in the event he and I actually pull, he won’t flash me like he did with Larry. Not even hutchings did that to a sub 210lb natural Tommy with money on the line! And I also stated that I’d be glad to pull him and prove it.

is there anything any of you feel I didn’t cover in that last paragraph?

I don't know what idea you have on SB but SB is very very strong. I haven't seen you AWling to be fair too, but a fairer match for you is VS Larry if you think you are strong. SB is up there in strength and with lots of experience. And if I bet, I will bet on Larry against you. Larry improved way too much. But hey, we never know unless one tries the other person. A friend from Texas will be visiting me this year and he will be able to tell the grip community how good or not good Larry is in AW.

15 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I agree that Schoolboy is massively overrated. People are comparing him to the elites and calling him world level, which he obviously is nowhere near. But he’s still no bum. The dude is strong, fast and smart. 

I don't understand this David? SB is super strong and can take on very strong people. But if you mean many people think SB is up there with Levan, Devon and the likes, not even close. He is young still and will be up there one day if he keeps training and is injury free.

49 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Back to this “federation “ stuff.... I think they have this to protect some people. So that they say “we can't arm wrestle” Because it violates a contract. So one fed can say that ones man is better than the others and not have to prove it! LAME!!!!

No it's not about that. The federation is about marketing too and making money. When an athlete signs a contract he know that already. No one has the right to say my athlete is better than your without a match actually. Yes there are indications but they will only be indications. If it was a solo sport like Olympic weightlifting for example then yes they can say that because a 270 KG C&J will always remain the same if the same criteria are met.

6 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I don't know what idea you have on SB but SB is very very strong. I haven't seen you AWling to be fair too, but a fairer match for you is VS Larry if you think you are strong. SB is up there in strength and with lots of experience. And if I bet, I will bet on Larry against you. Larry improved way too much. But hey, we never know unless one tries the other person. A friend from Texas will be visiting me this year and he will be able to tell the grip community how good or not good Larry is in AW.

Okay?.. is the friend from Texas going to be pulling Larry in an actual match? Or a “practice” pull? Who is the friend from Texas that will be Texas’ deciding czar in regards to Larry strong or not strong on the arm wrestling table? Is this friend from Texas even an arm wrestler? As in- have they ever even pulled a tournament? If so, then there must be some actual match setup between Larry and the friend from Texas?

otherwise…

this conversation really needs to decide if “practice” pulls mean anything or they don’t.

Warning: going long here. Sorry.. Right after saying I was out, someone decided to address me directly. Not gonna sit silent like I’m letting people run roughshod with my name in a post. So I’m back again.

im gonna go ahead and steam roll this thread some more.

I’ll go at Bader this time. Bader, after asking you specifically if you could assist with the schoolboy match, you dodged (or ignored, rather. So not to come off offensive) my request. And instead, literally, stated you think Larry would beat me on the table. …while at the same time, instead of offering to set that up and find out who’s word actually means something between you and I, you mention how you’ll be bringing a “friend” from Texas out there to pull Larry instead. Apologies if my assumptions of you bringing that friend out are false! But I “assume” you’ll be paying for that friend to come out?

you also stated you had never “seen” me pull. Have you ever “seen” your friend from Texas pull? If so, where? If not, then how can you assume that Larry would beat me, while at the same time act as if your friend from Texas will be some legitimate measuring stick as far as Larry’s table prowess? Because if you haven’t seen either of us pull, all you did there was draw assumptions. While at the same time attempt to discredit my words…. Based off assumptions.

you know what?? Let’s just keep it simple and start small. Shall we?

are you and I friends, Bader? I assumed we were.

That said, and since we are both friends, how do you think your Texas friend would fare against me on the table?

if your Texas friend is here in Texas, and I am here in Texas, why don’t the Texas friend and I pull before any other step is even taken? It actually seems most appropriate to me tbh. And skips a ton of talk, or assumptions.

then, the winner of me and the Texas friend would then appropriately be the guy, from Texas, who gets to pull Larry and report back here on the board as to Larry’s strength. Sound good?

further, and as a side mention, it’s actually all sort of a non point anyways… Why would me, or your other Texas “friend” have any more merit than Devon or MMT or Coach Ray as to Larry’s table prowess?.. does your Texas friend have similar table accolades as Devon, MMT, or Coach Ray? If not, you can now see why your Texas friend, or even me pulling Larry is a non point.

so at this time, I think the most appropriate move is for myself and the Texas friend to have a match. ASAP.

who agrees?

Clarification:

im talking right* hand. I make no claims about my left even being noteworthy in the conversation. So whatever Texas friend you have that’s got table cred, will be pulling my right hand.

I hope not to come off offensive to the Texas friend, either. I don’t see the Texas friend in here talking. Bader gets the credit for putting the Texas friend in the hot seat.

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay?.. is the friend from Texas going to be pulling Larry in an actual match? Or a “practice” pull? Who is the friend from Texas that will be Texas’ deciding czar in regards to Larry strong or not strong on the arm wrestling table? Is this friend from Texas even an arm wrestler? As in- have they ever even pulled a tournament? If so, then there must be some actual match setup between Larry and the friend from Texas?

otherwise…

this conversation really needs to decide if “practice” pulls mean anything or they don’t.

Wow tommy long 3 posts let me reply. It will be a practice pull God willing.

18 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Warning: going long here. Sorry.. Right after saying I was out, someone decided to address me directly. Not gonna sit silent like I’m letting people run roughshod with my name in a post. So I’m back again.

im gonna go ahead and steam roll this thread some more.

I’ll go at Bader this time. Bader, after asking you specifically if you could assist with the schoolboy match, you dodged (or ignored, rather. So not to come off offensive) my request. And instead, literally, stated you think Larry would beat me on the table. …while at the same time, instead of offering to set that up and find out who’s word actually means something between you and I, you mention how you’ll be bringing a “friend” from Texas out there to pull Larry instead. Apologies if my assumptions of you bringing that friend out are false! But I “assume” you’ll be paying for that friend to come out?

you also stated you had never “seen” me pull. Have you ever “seen” your friend from Texas pull? If so, where? If not, then how can you assume that Larry would beat me, while at the same time act as if your friend from Texas will be some legitimate measuring stick as far as Larry’s table prowess? Because if you haven’t seen either of us pull, all you did there was draw assumptions. While at the same time attempt to discredit my words…. Based off assumptions.

you know what?? Let’s just keep it simple and start small. Shall we?

are you and I friends, Bader? I assumed we were.

That said, and since we are both friends, how do you think your Texas friend would fare against me on the table?

if your Texas friend is here in Texas, and I am here in Texas, why don’t the Texas friend and I pull before any other step is even taken? It actually seems most appropriate to me tbh. And skips a ton of talk, or assumptions.

then, the winner of me and the Texas friend would then appropriately be the guy, from Texas, who gets to pull Larry and report back here on the board as to Larry’s strength. Sound good?

further, and as a side mention, it’s actually all sort of a non point anyways… Why would me, or your other Texas “friend” have any more merit than Devon or MMT or Coach Ray as to Larry’s table prowess?.. does your Texas friend have similar table accolades as Devon, MMT, or Coach Ray? If not, you can now see why your Texas friend, or even me pulling Larry is a non point.

so at this time, I think the most appropriate move is for myself and the Texas friend to have a match. ASAP.

who agrees?

When did you ask me to make a fight/match between you and SB? If that is the case dude I missed it! I will never ignore a request and then say a friend from Texas (where you live) will do this! That is NOT what I do. Apologies if you asked me bro as I didn't read through the full thread.

As for stating Larry would beat you. I said a closer match is you and Larry and if I will bet, it's on Larry. I can be totally wrong Tommy.

We aren't just friends Tommy. We are more than friends.

6 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Clarification:

im talking right* hand. I make no claims about my left even being noteworthy in the conversation. So whatever Texas friend you have that’s got table cred, will be pulling my right hand.

I hope not to come off offensive to the Texas friend, either. I don’t see the Texas friend in here talking. Bader gets the credit for putting the Texas friend in the hot seat.

As I said my friend, I never ignored you. I didn't see where you've asked me to set up a match between you and SB. I never ignore anyone, never mind a friend. 

On 6/4/2021 at 12:13 AM, Tommy J. said:

Screw it. I’ll make an attempt at getting the match.

Bader, is there any way you could assist this? If so I’m down. Should he accept, of course.

only hiccup for me would be out of country travel. I’d need a passport and however long it takes to get one of those, etc. if that’s a problem it would have to be a stateside match. Also don’t have a pile of cash I’m willing to put on the match. But I will 100% do that match. For free!

^

12 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Wow tommy long 3 posts let me reply. It will be a practice pull God willing.

When did you ask me to make a fight/match between you and SB? If that is the case dude I missed it! I will never ignore a request and then say a friend from Texas (where you live) will do this! That is NOT what I do. Apologies if you asked me bro as I didn't read through the full thread. Apologies as well my friend. I assumed you saw it

As for stating Larry would beat you. I said a closer match is you and Larry and if I will bet, it's on Larry. I can be totally wrong Tommy. Ah okay! Word!

We aren't just friends Tommy. We are more than friends. Yes, I agree! You are welcome in my own home!

As I said my friend, I never ignored you. I didn't see where you've asked me to set up a match between you and SB. I never ignore anyone, never mind a friend. 

Replied in bold

8 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

^

Apologies again my friend. I actually was reading and searching the thread and as you replied I've found it in the first page. What happened was I usually reply someone who replied to me/quoted me. When I did that it took me to half of the next page as my reply was there. Hence me not seeing it.

6 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Replied in bold

Perfect! Message me on IG and we will work something good out. Bader always make his friends happy 😅

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Apologies again my friend. I actually was reading and searching the thread and as you replied I've found it in the first page. What happened was I usually reply someone who replied to me/quoted me. When I did that it took me to half of the next page as my reply was there. Hence me not seeing it.

Perfect! Message me on IG and we will work something good out. Bader always make his friends happy 😅

No worries! I forgot to tag you in that post.. probably would have helped avoid confusion had I done that. And will do! Heading to IG now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

You’re  a good man, Bader.

Edited by slazbob
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Yea he is! One of the best! I speak as a personal close friend that the man would give you the shirt off his back and is generous to all. Very respectful and truly loves all things strength and is an ambassador to grip. Not trying to blow smoke but I am very happy to call him my friend.

Very kind of you my good friend!

7 hours ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Yea he is! One of the best! I speak as a personal close friend that the man would give you the shirt off his back and is generous to all. Very respectful and truly loves all things strength and is an ambassador to grip. Not trying to blow smoke but I am very happy to call him my friend.

I agree with every word!

• Thanks 1

@Tommy J. Just curious, have you competed in armwrestling or do you just train it? What's your "story of armwrestling"?

Hope you get a match with any of them, would be very fun too see!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lennix said:

@Tommy J. Just curious, have you competed in armwrestling or do you just train it? What's your "story of armwrestling"?

Hope you get a match with any of them, would be very fun too see!

I thought no one would ask. So thank you!

yes, I have. Many times. Although due to past legal issues, I was not able to leave the state (legally) for some years. So as a result, all of my tournaments have been in Texas. Those issues are settled, and I am free to travel now. I mostly kept that to myself over the years. But it is what it is. And now you know.

I started pulling in 2011 after hooking up with PK and Eric Milfeld. At the time I was mainly interested in grip, but after PK insisting he and I pull, I obliged, and beat him on both arms that first day. During that time frame Paul was frequently winning, or podium finishing state tournaments. He is the guy that got me started. Throughout those years until now, off and on, I have pulled every active noteworthy puller in Texas, both arms, in quite a few tournaments. I’ve also pulled a few other bigger names when they came to Texas, and done decent each time.

My weight classes have varied (but only upward) over the years. In 2011-2013 I was consistently pulling the 198 class. From about 2014-2018, my class stayed either in the 105k or 110k depending on what class the tournament offered. I’m presently stuck in the super heavy class (typically 105k+, or 110k+).

Due to not being able to travel, it was difficult to find motivation to train in any actual dedicated manner. Other than for fun, that is. So I’ve been very lazy with it over the years. Which really is a compliment, considering I still can run roughshod on bottom end of the current right hand super heavy top 10 ranking list in Tx. Not sure where Nick Adams is at currently on the list, but he and I go back and forth. It just depends how we both feel for the day, but at any moment I can jump on the top 10 super heavy right hand list either just above or below him. I have never defeated Robbie Burnett, Brian Sitton, or Dmitri Kachan in a tournament*. I haven’t looked in a while, but I’m sure those are the top 3 currently on that list.

if I were to estimate my national level (since I can only estimate due to never traveling to pull), I would say not on the top 25 or so for certain. But if I were to be optimistic, I do not believe there are 50 currently active supers that can beat my right hand at this time. Hints why I stated earlier in the thread that your gonna need to be the real deal to pin my right. ….if I’m being honest though, the super heavies are slim pickings pretty much nation wide. For some reason most pullers tend to avoid that class and stay lighter. Further, I’d also point out that in the US, the class just below the supers is typically the most stacked, and has the stiffest competition as a whole. So one could say I’m better off “looking” better, rank in file, staying heavy and in the supers. 🤷🏼‍♂️

though this does not mean that there aren’t guys in lighter weight classes nation wide that will beat me. I think there are a few top 175lb guys that can get my right if I don’t get serious. Guys like Luke Kindt, Sam Harris, etc. there are also more than a handful, or couple handfuls of guys at under 200 that can easily beat me. Guys like Daniel Mosier, Storm C., RVJ, and etc. etc. note though that every single one of those guys can also beat most supers in the nation as well. So I don’t feel any loss of pride losing a match to any of those guys. Especially when taking into consideration how undedicated I’ve been. The guys that beat me, eat sleep and breath arm wrestling.

I have obviously, on top of tournaments, frequented many practices across the state on many occasions. And did sneak out of state once to go practice with MMT at his house in Arkansas. funny side story on that trip! I rode my motorcycle up that day with Adam Irrgang, got rained on off and on the whole way, pulled at Michael’s for about 4 hours in wet clothes and boots, then crashed (or dropped, rather) my motorcycle in Michael’s yard, then rode straight back to Fort Worth with badly sore arms and a muddy bike and clothes. Lol! It was a long day!

I still get told to this day by many of Texas’ strongest pullers that I am one of their favorite guys to train with. …ive never asked any of them to elaborate, but I assume it’s either my competitive nature, my rowdy personality, or both. I will liven a boring tournament or a boring practice up when I go. There is no doubt about it.

what’s frustrating about it though is that while I’ve only half assed arm wrestling up until this point, and still been good at it, I don’t have that same luck with grip, general lifting, or even sports in general. I pretty much have to work my ass of on bench to get anywhere. And had to be somewhat dedicated in grip in the past just to lift an inch in 1 hand, or certify a #3 and things like that.

steel bending and arm wrestling have been like the only 2 strength endeavors I’ve done that I don’t have to work very hard to be good at.

• Like 4

I’m still not convinced that a SB vs Tommy match would be good. I don’t know, maybe I’m overestimating SB, but I don’t think I am. Larry vs Tommy sounds WAY more interesting though! And that is no insult because I think Larry has leveled up significantly the past 6-12 months. He not just a bodybuilder. He is strong AF and has decent technique on the table. I mean, he made a joke out of the Swiss junior champion. Though admittedly, those guys didn’t look that impressive.

Bader, yeah that’s what I was saying about SB. People place him together with the likes of Levan and such, and that is obviously ridiculous. But like I said, SB is still no joke. He’s really, REALLY good. And you are not going to have a chance against him unless you yourself are really REALLY good.

• Thanks 1

Btw, what are people’s prediction for the event this weekend?

6 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I’m still not convinced that a SB vs Tommy match would be good. I don’t know, maybe I’m overestimating SB, but I don’t think I am. Larry vs Tommy sounds WAY more interesting though! And that is no insult because I think Larry has leveled up significantly the past 6-12 months. He not just a bodybuilder. He is strong AF and has decent technique on the table. I mean, he made a joke out of the Swiss junior champion. Though admittedly, those guys didn’t look that impressive.

Bader, yeah that’s what I was saying about SB. People place him together with the likes of Levan and such, and that is obviously ridiculous. But like I said, SB is still no joke. He’s really, REALLY good. And you are not going to have a chance against him unless you yourself are really REALLY good.

If these were your sentiments the whole time, then we are on the same page. And do genuinely apologize for taking you wrong.

yes, specifically with wheels, he is underrated I think. He is now beyond the point of being casually pinned or calmly handled on the table by more than 65-70% of pullers, world wide and in all classes I would estimate. Which really is astounding considering how new he is. So wheels is a match I will be taking very serious. He grows stronger by the day as well. the longer I or anyone else wait to pull him, the slimmer the chances are of beating him.

I do genuinely believe Larry is now in the legit threat category for the muster. I mean he smashes coach ray pretty easily it seems. 🤷🏼‍♂️ And did have school boy scrambling in a hook not so long ago. So much so that SB made damn sure he pulled Larry outside, and not on the inside lane.

I believed SB was a good matchup for him right now. But that was not the case. SB knew exactly how to get around Larry’s power. I would like to see them both pull again this time next year, though.

I think most pullers did want to see Larry lose. I think a lot of pullers feel as though it validates the sport to see a non elite puller beat him. I mean RVJ was almost fapping over SB beating Larry… and IMO, basically any puller that thinks a vetted puller beating a non vetted one is some grand prize event to be crowned king over is pretty lame. The truth is, if real pullers are being honest, pulling Larry actually is sort of a lose lose for vetted pullers at this time at Larry’s current ability. Not some grand measuring stick for the sport.

it’s like if you beat him “woohoo… you beat a strong guy who’s never even pulled a tournament.” And if you lose to him “bro! You just got beat by a non puller!”

Who you guys got this weekend?

@Wannagrip would it be possible to change the thread title to “let’s talk armwrestling!”  ??

Just now, Tommy J. said:

Who you guys got this weekend?

@Wannagrip would it be possible to change the thread title to “let’s talk armwrestling!”  ??

And also close the poll? For some reason I wasn’t able to close the poll this time.