Let’s talk armwrestling!

Tommy J.

Wheels or school boy?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got for the win? And why!

• Wheels
    • School boy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/13/2021 at 12:30 AM

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

There are hundreds of Kazakhs in top 8 and Zloty?

There were two in the last Top 8, Ongarbaev and Dimitri Trubin. In WAF and Zloty there is Aktaev, Morozov, Nurdaulet and etc. Ever heard of Shardara? Basically a town of only arm wrestlers, weightlifters, powerlifters and kokpar players. 

There are hundreds that are part of the Kazakh national team but I’m not sure of exactly how much funding the armwrestlers get. I’m sure it’s not distributed equally for all the members of their national team. But I’m sure the ones at the top receive good money by Kazakh standards.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

There were two in the last Top 8, Ongarbaev and Dimitri Trubin. In WAF and Zloty there is Aktaev, Morozov, Nurdaulet and etc. Ever heard of Shardara? Basically a town of only arm wrestlers, weightlifters, powerlifters and kokpar players. 

There are hundreds that are part of the Kazakh national team but I’m not sure of exactly how much funding the armwrestlers get. I’m sure it’s not distributed equally for all the members of their national team. But I’m sure the ones at the top receive good money by Kazakh standards.

Wow I actually had no idea Trubin was Kazakh! And just assumed Ongarbeav was from Asia somewhere. (Not at all trying to be rude by saying that! Just never gave it a second thought.)

i do know the WAF has a ton of guys from all over. The worlds tournament is what? 4-5 days long? Only watch that one when Michael Hann is there. Also looked back at a few Levan videos from WAF as well.

Yes, have heard of shardara arm sport. Never watch events tho.

since you mention Zloty, I’ll give my opinion on that event. IMO it is the super bowl of arm wrestling above all other arm wrestling tournaments. Top 8, and WAL, and WAF worlds comps are cool and all… but m IMO Zloty is still the most prestigious tournament out there. To be even invited to it is a top of the line achievement for a puller. Let alone be a rock star in the tournament itself!

edit: Zloty is so prestigious, I don’t know of a single native Texas puller who has ever competed in Zloty! And it has been around a while!

…but I suppose I could say the same about top 8 as well. 🤷🏼‍♂️
but then again, top 8 is fairly new. And much smaller (as in- small number of competitors) of an event. So I guess it’s more likely we’d see a native Texan in Zloty before we would top 8.

Edited by Tommy J.

So much Texas talk😄.

I can't think of any places on earth with higher calibre strength athletes relative to population size than Island and Georgia (the country). The strongest puller in Georgia would annihilate the strongest puller in Texas in spite a 7 times larger population in Texas. Same in Olympic lifting. I don't think modesty is a Texas thing😄.

I

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

So much Texas talk😄.

I can't think of any places on earth with higher calibre strength athletes relative to population size than Island and Georgia (the country). The strongest puller in Georgia would annihilate the strongest puller in Texas in spite a 7 times larger population in Texas. Same in Olympic lifting. I don't think modesty is a Texas thing😄.

I

Lol Ah, Very funny. The strongest puller in Georgia so happens to also be the strongest puller on earth.

I like Levan. But if we’re comparing Georgia strength in general to Texas strength in general, we should also talk about how if we gathered up everyone’s grandmas here and turned them loose with .38’s, they could overpower Georgia’s entire standing army as they pass glasses of ice tea back and forth from their Victorian era rockers.

but no, modesty isn’t a thing here. Did you catch the post I made earlier on IG (that almost got my account banned) where I hung a wet shirt off my junk? I went long on that one too. 😁

Edited by Tommy J.

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Wow I actually had no idea Trubin was Kazakh! And just assumed Ongarbeav was from Asia somewhere. (Not at all trying to be rude by saying that! Just never gave it a second thought.)

i do know the WAF has a ton of guys from all over. The worlds tournament is what? 4-5 days long? Only watch that one when Michael Hann is there. Also looked back at a few Levan videos from WAF as well.

Yes, have heard of shardara arm sport. Never watch events tho.

since you mention Zloty, I’ll give my opinion on that event. IMO it is the super bowl of arm wrestling above all other arm wrestling tournaments. Top 8, and WAL, and WAF worlds comps are cool and all… but m IMO Zloty is still the most prestigious tournament out there. To be even invited to it is a top of the line achievement for a puller. Let alone be a rock star in the tournament itself!

edit: Zloty is so prestigious, I don’t know of a single native Texas puller who has ever competed in Zloty! And it has been around a while!

…but I suppose I could say the same about top 8 as well. 🤷🏼‍♂️
but then again, top 8 is fairly new. And much smaller (as in- small number of competitors) of an event. So I guess it’s more likely we’d see a native Texan in Zloty before we would top 8.

Zloty is not an invitational competition. You can go there, sign up and pull. Winning or a good placing there is prestigious. 

But no, Louisiana got love too. Brandon rolled up and took a massive dump all over Devon in 2014. Some say Devon is still having nightmares about it and recovering to this day.

😂

On a more serious note, the reason Texas got brought up here was to elaborate that school boys show won’t even beat Texas. Let alone the school boy show beat world level elites.

If I can’t beat him, Nick will. If Nick can’t beat him Anthony will. If Anthony can’t beat him Adam will. If Adam can’t beat him, Brian will. If Brian can’t beat him Dmitri will. And if Dmitri can’t beat him, Robbie will tear his arm off. And in the slim chance he got through that lineup, we’ll just head over to Louisiana and grab Brandon.

All I'm saying is while he’s pretty solid of a puller, he has no business getting his junk necked before Texas does.

18 minutes ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Zloty is not an invitational competition. You can go there, sign up and pull. Winning or a good placing there is prestigious. 

Okay apologies on that one then on assuming it was invite only. Seems like I did catch a post that Mosier put up in 2019 saying he had been invited. (Which was my basis for stating that) He then went, then won his whole class at Zloty. Btw, that’s another strong Louisiana guy!

Zloty even put on a huge introduction on for him at the tournament and everything.

so it was either a full on invite or a call out of some sort. 🤷🏼‍♂️

tomato tomáto on the invite tho. It’s the most prestigious tournament to even pull in IMO.

• Like 1

Btw everyone who voted on the poll after the match happened is super lame. There was 11 votes for school boy before the match happened. Now there is 14…

23 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Btw everyone who voted on the poll after the match happened is super lame. There was 11 votes for school boy before the match happened. Now there is 14…

I just did. LOL!  I would have voted for Schoolboy anyway. :)

21 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

I just did. LOL!  I would have voted for Schoolboy anyway. :)

Shameless. Now I see why you keep me around. 😆

On 6/4/2021 at 1:24 AM, Tommy J. said:

And then Larry pinned school boy left hand a few times right afterwards

True but you see what the TV is showing. What happened was SB first left hand match was with MMT. Then SB went against everyone even Israeli national champ. Few days later when they were fresh, Larry lost (left hand) to Alex SB brother. But yes Larry is very strong. Just not as strong as SB in AW. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

True but you see what the TV is showing. What happened was SB first left hand match was with MMT. Then SB went against everyone even Israeli national champ. Few days later when they were fresh, Larry lost (left hand) to Alex SB brother. But yes Larry is very strong. Just not as strong as SB in AW. 

Okay so SB never actually beat Larry left hand?.. only Alex did?

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so SB never actually beat Larry left hand?.. only Alex did?

No SB did beat Larry left hand and so did Alex. But Larry too did beat SB and Alex also. All in practice though nothing is in a comp. Something like Ermes beating Matt Mask after their WAL fight in practice. Matt easily won (I think Ermes is winning the next fight in Istanbul, IMO) but Ermes in practice beat him. If you want to ask me what do I think of Larry VS MMT left hand? To be honest I think Larry will easily win now. MMT claims to be in the best shape of his life, but I doubt that.

• Thanks 1

One thing that is an absolute shame these days is that there no longer exists any federation, championships or tournament where truly all the best in the world meet to compete. 12-15 years ago, the best place to settle who was actually the best in the world was the Nimeroff world cup, without question. Up until a few years ago I would say Zloty. But since all members of WAF are instantly banned if they compete at Zloty since 2018, most of the competition is no longer there. WAF has split and now we have another world organization, IFA. And on top of that, most of the elite from the US are locked up with contracts at WAL, so they don’t compete. The eastern elite heavyweights and 95kg are locked in top-8. So no matter how you look at it there is no single tournament or federation that house all the elites. You have to perform alot of mental gymnastics to try and figure out which place houses the best pullers. My guess is that for 95kg and under, the best place with the toughest competition is probably WAF. For heavyweights it used to be PAL, but with the loss of Pushkar and Cyplenkov, it’s now probably a tie between PAL and WAL. 5-6 years ago it was probably Zloty, but absolutely not these days. Heck, a buddy of mine competed at Zloty just for fun two days after he had already competed at IFA worlds, and still managed to take 3rd. Sure, he is strong as hell. But one have to be honest and admit that Zloty is not what it once was. All thanks to these politics that are dividing the sport.

• Like 1

Btw, no one with any grasp of the sport would think SB could beat Robbie Burnett or Dimitrii K. Sure, I guess it’s possible. But SB would be the underdog.

But with that said, SB would run through Tommy, Tanner and Adam. And so would Robbie Burnett. In a competition setting that is. I don’t care if any of you have pinned Robbie at practice. Practice means dick.

Really unfortunate to take an already niche sport and separate it into so many organizations just to make everything more difficult. I just wanna see the strongest guys compete idc about regions or countries or who has the best marketing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Btw, no one with any grasp of the sport would think SB could beat Robbie Burnett or Dimitrii K. Sure, I guess it’s possible. But SB would be the underdog.

But with that said, SB would run through Tommy, Tanner and Adam. And so would Robbie Burnett. In a competition setting that is. I don’t care if any of you have pinned Robbie at practice. Practice means dick.

Wiggy, it is unlike you to miss read or misunderstand posts from me.

at no point, ever, did I demonstrate that I wasn’t fully aware of the pecking order, specifically in Texas. Please reread a few of my posts and you’ll see that I am fully aware. So no need to put emphasis on a foregone conclusion.

also if you’ll look back, you can see that the very first moment you mentioned practices not meaning Jack, not only did I like the post, but I also quoted it and agreed with it…. 🤷🏼‍♂️

so I’m not quite understanding why you feel the need to keep elaborating on those sentiments.

your message is received. You feel as though SB is out of reach, specifically for myself, Adam, and Tanner. And you also feel as though I’m basing pecking order of practices and not actual matches. (Which is an invalid, because I obviously am not). And again, message received.

I saved the steam roll for last….

since “practice” or side matches don’t count, as you have avidly repeated, then please don’t ever mention SB and MMT left hand again. Otherwise your sort of contradicting your own power points. feel free to repeat that to anyone else who brings up SB and MMT left hand here as well.

everybody got that?… 

I’m rolling hung over and on less than 5 hours sleep, and with no caffeine right now. It’s gonna be a sad day if a guy in my current condition tears some tails off here, via witty debate.

My message shouldn’t be hard to receive. The cliff notes are: School boy is exhaustingly overrated. And his show won’t. 👏🏻 even. 👏🏻 beat. 👏🏻 Texas! And I promise, in the event he and I actually pull, he won’t flash me like he did with Larry. Not even hutchings did that to a sub 210lb natural Tommy with money on the line! And I also stated that I’d be glad to pull him and prove it.

is there anything any of you feel I didn’t cover in that last paragraph?

Edited by Tommy J.

Why do people thino Todd's left hand matters at all? He doesn't have a pro level left arm so plenty of guys can beat it, it's entirely unrelated to his abilities on the right. 

Tommy I don't think you're crazy, but I also think there's zero chance either of you 3 could even give schoolboy a match and it wouldn't even be close. 

I also think poeple are more putting him on a pedestal for his overall potential, not his current form today. Just because he's already at this level and still so young. He's gonna be real scary in his early to mid 30s if he stays in it. 

4 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Wiggy, it is unlike you to miss read or misunderstand posts from me.

at no point, ever, did I demonstrate that I wasn’t fully aware of the pecking order, specifically in Texas. Please reread a few of my posts and you’ll see that I am fully aware. So no need to put emphasis on a foregone conclusion.

also if you’ll look back, you can see that the very first moment you mentioned practices not meaning Jack, not only did I like the post, but I also quoted it and agreed with it…. 🤷🏼‍♂️

so I’m not quite understanding why you feel the need to keep elaborating on those sentiments.

your message is received. You feel as though SB is out of reach, specifically for myself, Adam, and Tanner. And you also feel as though I’m basing pecking order of practices and not actual matches. (Which is an invalid, because I obviously am not). And again, message received.

I saved the steam roll for last….

since “practice” or side matches don’t count, as you have avidly repeated, then please don’t ever mention SB and MMT left hand again. Otherwise your sort of contradicting your own power points. feel free to repeat that to anyone else who brings up SB and MMT left hand here as well.

everybody got that?… 

True, you never said that about Robbie. I apologize for that one. I was being a little bit facetious with that one.

However, about the side pulling analogy. I posted that video as a response to your own assessment on how you’d do against SB  which you had previously based on your performance while side pulling Hutchings. So I wouldn’t say I was contradicting myself on that one. 

Btw don’t take anything I say with any serious offense. This is just friendly back and forth banter. I’d still let you sleep in my house and share beers with you any day of the week. I’m sure you’d do the same. 

Only 50% of armwrestling is actual armwrestling. The other 50% of armwrestling is arguing with people online about armwrestling.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I’m rolling hung over and on less than 5 hours sleep, and with no caffeine right now. It’s gonna be a sad day if a guy in my current condition tears some tails off here, via witty debate.

My message shouldn’t be hard to receive. The cliff notes are: School boy is exhaustingly overrated. And his show won’t. 👏🏻 even. 👏🏻 beat. 👏🏻 Texas! And I promise, in the event he and I actually pull, he won’t flash me like he did with Larry. Not even hutchings did that to a sub 210lb natural Tommy with money on the line! And I also stated that I’d be glad to pull him and prove it.

is there anything any of you feel I didn’t cover in that last paragraph?

I agree that Schoolboy is massively overrated. People are comparing him to the elites and calling him world level, which he obviously is nowhere near. But he’s still no bum. The dude is strong, fast and smart. 

• Like 1

Just now, Climber028 said:

Why do people thino Todd's left hand matters at all? He doesn't have a pro level left arm so plenty of guys can beat it, it's entirely unrelated to his abilities on the right. 

Tommy I don't think you're crazy, but I also think there's zero chance either of you 3 could even give schoolboy a match and it wouldn't even be close. 

I also think poeple are more putting him on a pedestal for his overall potential, not his current form today. Just because he's already at this level and still so young. He's gonna be real scary in his early to mid 30s if he stays in it. 

Agreed on Todd’s left. It’s barely state level podium finish (in Arkansas).

but more on that point- it was a practice pull anyways. And the only 2 guys in this thread that posted about how “practice” pulls don’t mean Jack, also ironically put the “practice” match between SB and MMT left hand on some hypothetical pedestal. …and it is a hypothetical one… because practice pulls don’t count, right? 😁

also, exactly what are you guys basing mine, Adams, and Tanners current pulling ability off of? I’ll go ahead and elaborate on why that is a foolish assertion by itself. What was my history at under 210lbs on the table?.. don’t worry, this is an open book test. So feel free to look back at previous posts.

I am now over 40lbs heavier, stronger than I’ve ever been, and enhanced… only a fool would assume I’m not a ton stronger on the table right now.

that said though, whenever the match happens, it WILL be staked. How could it not? And I hope you guys are able to match the size of my gonads and also put your money where your mouth is, and then partake in those stakes. since you are so confident. 😬

7 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Only 50% of armwrestling is actual armwrestling. The other 50% of armwrestling is arguing with people online about armwrestling.

I accept apology. And also return one for sinking my fangs in… 🙏🏻 

the part in bold is very accurate. To those reading along and not participating, you should see some of the talk that happens between just actual pullers! And that’s not even including fan hype!

It's weird, I'm so used to gripsport where 90% of it is arguing online. 

7 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

It's weird, I'm so used to gripsport where 90% of it is arguing online. 

Lol

yeah well I’m like one of the only guys in grip who turns the temp up. Arm wrestling is way more heated because the competition is mostly rowdy alphas with big egos. It’s actually quite refreshing at times. I would say the major thing arm wrestling has is WAY more hate of refs than grip sport does judges.

Ask any puller who’s fault it is when they lose a match or get fouled- the refs! 😁